ServiceNow Overview

ServiceNow is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Help Desk Software. It is most often compared to BMC Helix ITSM: ServiceNow vs BMC Helix ITSM

What is ServiceNow?

Now, with the ServiceNow System of Action, every employee, customer, and machine can make requests on a single cloud platform. Every department working on tasks can assign and prioritize, collaborate, get down to root cause issues, gain real-time insights, and drive to action. Your employees are energized, your service levels improve, and you realize game-changing economics. Work at lightspeed.(TM)

ServiceNow Buyer's Guide

Download the ServiceNow Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2021

ServiceNow Customers

AAA, AstraZeneca, Becton, Dickinson and Company, Broadcom, Christus Health, Epicor, Equinix, GE Capital, Intuit, KPMG, Loyola Marymount University, OshKosh, Quantas, RedHat, Royal Bank of Scotland, Swiss Re, U.S. Department of Energy, Safeway, Yale University, and Zillow

ServiceNow Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Managing Director at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
One stop shop – all requests for support, new items, changes and anything else can be done in the portal, flexibility of service – requests can be done directly from the portal.​

• "Easy to integrate with third-party applications."
  • "It's missing monitoring capabilities."

What other advice do I have?

Integrations: ServiceNow is an open platform that come with out of the box integrations API, but if you really want a deep business process integrations of ServiceNow with JIRA, Salesforce, Microfocus, BMC and others, we recommend https://www.zigiwave.com read more in the blog post here: https://zigiwave.com/how-to-integrate-jira-servicenow-in-less-than-2-minutes/
Consultant at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
We are able to significantly leverage the widget concept in the Service Portal

What is our primary use case?

We use it for ITSM and ITBM.

• "In the Service Portal, the widget concept - and the way we have developed our widget - is pretty simple. We can leverage a lot on top of it."
  • "For healthcare, which is a pretty audited environment, there are no concrete solutions for digital signatures, apart from our license with Adobe, so it requires orchestration."

What other advice do I have?

You can get the most out of ServiceNow if you align your processes more towards the out-of-the-box solution, and not over-customize it to create a solution. We have 3,000 users hosted on it but not everyone has write-access to the system. There are users who are end users who get Portal access to manage their tasks. Apart from that, there are a few fulfillers who are using the write-access: the support staff, such as the change manager or change coordinator. And then we have admins. In terms of extent of use, currently, we have more than one instance of ServiceNow. We have three different…
Learn what your peers think about ServiceNow. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2021.
501,151 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Associate Director at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
HR Case Management and Customer Service Management are key areas for our clients

What is our primary use case?

We are consultants. We use ServiceNow to develop ideas and solutions for our customers.

• "HR Case Management and Customer Service Management are two of the key areas which clients are using."
  • "HR Service Management is one module that needs a lot of improvement because it's a pretty new module. It was introduced in the last two years. It's becoming more mature day by day, but there is a lot of scope for improvement in that module."

What other advice do I have?

The configuration is very simple. I would definitely recommend it from a maintenance perspective and from a scalability perspective. It is a really good tool. You can replace your existing Remedy or HPSM with ServiceNow. Regarding how extensively the solution is being used, it's no longer just an ITSM product. It's a platform, as such. Customers have started moving all their custom applications - in addition to ITSM, their non-ITSM - to the product. They've started building everything on ServiceNow. Slowly, customers are liking the tool and they are very happy to move everything onto…
System Architect at a pharma/biotech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Popular
Discovery has reduced the time to build/deploy devices within our environment

What is our primary use case?

We use it for ITIL/ITOM catalog of services. ServiceNow is the CMDB for our organization, and we use the Discovery, Incident Management, Change and Project Management tools within ServiceNow to keep a centralized view of our enterprise. We have recently begun implementing the Governance and Risk (GRC) features as well.

• "Discovery has reduced, on average, the time to build/deploy devices within our environment by one hour. This may not seem like much but it adds up over time. It also reaps additional time savings with its ability to capture changes through subsequent discoveries over the life of the device."
  • "Where it could be improved is Discovery. This may sound odd since I just praised the value of ServiceNow Discovery, but improvements to its automatic detection, the breadth of devices, and the depth of devices covered, as well as keeping up with new technologies, are all essential."

What other advice do I have?

If you plan on using Discovery, double whatever hours/manpower/money you had planned that it would cost. Do not let sales convince you that any part of the system "just works." You will ultimately end up modifying absolutely everything. Definitely look at using a reputable partner for implementation, unless you have a dedicated knowledgeable staff of ServiceNow users who have done it before (and not who just went through training). We have 60 users for ITIL. We have provided limited access to our development and external management users. For maintenance, we have two full-time employees. One…
Senior Software Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Scripted REST APIs and Flow Designer are easier and Client scripts are simpler

What is our primary use case?

We are trying to bring some ServiceNow projects to our team. We are trying to upgrade our ServiceNow knowledge by learning the modules and building our own application. We are presenting the application that we develop to our management. We can then market ourselves, showing that we have some ServiceNow capabilities so that we get some ServiceNow projects. We have used almost all the features of ServiceNow within this application. Almost all the reports, data evaluation, dashboards, widgets, all the workflow-related stuff, integrations, etc. We have used each ServiceNow topic in this… more »

• "I have found many features that are important and that are easier when compared to Remedy; for example, the Scripted REST APIs and the Flow Designer... The Client scripts are simpler when you compare with Remedy."
  • "The standard UI is very restricted. It doesn't look as good, compared to Remedy. Building your own UI requires some additional coding..."
  • "When it comes to reference fields, there are some limitations where you aren't able to use them, like in relationship queries. In Remedy, when you click a menu, you get options directly, whereas here, if you use a reference field, it points you to a different form. So the UI experience totally changes for the end user."

What other advice do I have?

ServiceNow is a very good tool. The one challenge is that it involves scripting. Many things can be done through configuration and that is a very good part of ServiceNow. If you have some basic scripting knowledge, you can build your own application which can be used at any company or organization. Considering the issues which I mentioned earlier related to the UI and the reference fields, out of ten I would rate ServiceNow an eight. To make it a ten they would have to come up with a better way of implementing UI.
KK
Senior Technical Lead at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
The overall simplicity and ease of use are advantages

What is our primary use case?

We use it for ticketing.

• "Creating a ticket is much simpler in this tool. That is one big advantage. Also, the simplicity and ease of use are much better. I've used HPSM and it is very complex in comparison to ServiceNow."
  • "Change Management is the area I have found that this tool can be improved because there are so many fields which are missing, such as urgency of the customer request and how the priority is defined. These are some of the areas in which I found that BMC Remedy is much better than ServiceNow."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend looking into all aspects of ticketing tools and I would advise people to use BMC Remedy because of the scalability and the features available. If you are not very technical then I would recommend ServiceNow. Most of the users of ServiceNow in our company are Level 1 and Level 2 engineers, and some of them are problem managers. We have more than 200 people using the tool. I would rate ServiceNow at eight out of ten. The two points off are for some features which are not there in Change Management and in the ITSM software. The rating is as high as it is because of its…
Project Manager, Manager of ITSM Consulting Team at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
Allows us to implement a wide variety of processes for clients, including Scaled Agile Framework

What is our primary use case?

We are an integrator. We help our clients to implement ServiceNow for their companies.

• "It actually has quite a wide list of modules and processes. Currently, we are implementing project management and Scaled Agile Framework for one of our customers."
  • "There are Virtual Task Boards in the tool in the latest releases. There are many of them in the Scaled Agile Framework. There is some room there for improvement. It's really quite promising but, at the same time, it could be improved and I believe it will be improved soon."

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be not to try to implement it by yourself. You could spend a lot of time without any considerable outcome. We have ten clients right now and some of them have 1,000 users, all together. They have 20 to 50 engineers. Deployment and maintenance on the client's size and their requirements: how quickly they want the implementation done, and on how many people create tickets, etc. The basic team is five to seven people who implement Service Now. For support of the solution, it's a maximum of three to five people. I would rate ServiceNow at about nine out of ten. One of the things to…
SD
ServiceNow Developer with 501-1,000 employees
Flexible tool enables us to use scripts to create business tools

What is our primary use case?

As a developer, I have mostly work on agent management and service catalog items, to create business tools. I write scripts to satisfy customer requirements.

What other advice do I have?

ServiceNow is great. It's flexible and it is very simple for process flow or idea flow.
Technology Strategy & Architecture at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
Gives us the power to structure processes and represent workforce management

What is our primary use case?

I'm a consultant, so I primarily work on projects implementing Service Now inside of different organizations.

• "One feature of ServiceNow that is important is the workflow engine. From my perspective [as a consultant] the power to be able to structure processes, represent workforce management for organizations, and the visibility provided by the reporting are additional top features."
  • "For me, there's a real opportunity, especially within the IT Service Management suite, to give a much better overall view of the workflow that individuals have across the different applications. At the moment, a lot of information is quite siloed in the different tables in ServiceNow."

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to engage with an implementation partner that has good experience and definitely not to underestimate the organizational-change activities, like training and communication, that are required. ServiceNow shouldn't be treated as purely a technology solution. People, processes, communication, and training need to be factored in when implementing. We've implemented ServiceNow in government organizations with up to 9,000 people, in a couple of scenarios, using it for either IT service management or HR service management, predominantly. The roles of the users varied within the…
Sr. ServiceNow Developer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Provides a centralized, fully managed, solution with everything in one place

What is our primary use case?

As a developer, I work on ServiceNow for HR solutions and a few other Service Portal functions.

• "There are features included in the new release for intelligent software, like the chatbot. For HR services, the HR agent which is in that chatbot has been fantastic."
  • "There are a few things that it needs to improve, like automation of most things out-of-the-box. For example, when it comes to cloud management, we are still going with manual intervention. Instead of that, if we had an out-of-the-box feature available, that would be great."

What other advice do I have?

Back in 2011, BMC Remedy was at a peak and people were focusing on it. But starting in 2014 and 2015, ServiceNow came on and its competitors were watching. It went from about ten to 20 percent of the market to almost 40 percent of the market. I would rate ServiceNow at nine out of ten. It is all about improvement, about getting things from your legacy system to the latest one.
IT Security Consultant and Platform Architect at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees
Stable solution but the security and web interface need improvement

What is our primary use case?

It's used for a helpdesk.

• "It's not very secure, it's web-based, and I prefer Remedy. Both the security and the web interface could be improved."

What other advice do I have?

Make sure to look into all the configuration costs and the customization. Be aware that it's web-based. You're probably going to have to put holes in your firewalls and need to do a complete security review. As an end user, I would rate it a seven out of ten. I don't think it's very secure, and it's web-based, and Remedy is really the standard that it's judged against.
    IT Coordinator at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    As a cloud solution it reduces our support costs and development of processes is faster

What is our primary use case?

We use it as a service desk solution, for ticketing.

• "The most valuable feature is the flexibility of development for customization."
    • "ServiceNow is a cloud solution. That fact was very important for us, that it is not an on-prem solution, as it reduces our internal cost of support."
    • "We don't have a huge amount of password reset requests, but the minimum package of resets that ServiceNow offers is much more than we need."

What other advice do I have?

It is very good having this tool. Getting it going went much faster than I expected. We did the setup and had it in production in six months. The biggest problem for me was our internal process and not Service Now. For example, convincing people to go to a cloud solution, and getting engagement with the solution from information security, were challenges. If you don't have engagement from information security, the project is going to take longer than you expect. The big change for the company, with this solution, is that you're not going to host your data internally, on-prem. You are going to…
    DF
    IT Systems Analyst Lead with 10,001+ employees
    Trend reporting helps us focus on issues that come up, but better workflow would help

What is our primary use case?

We use ServiceNow mostly for our IT ticketing business. Recently we set up the Request portion of ServiceNow and we're using it as well.

• "I like the reporting aspect of it. It helps us know where we stand regarding the types of issues we're receiving... It also shows us trends. That enables us to possibly predict an issue that might come up in the future as well as what is happening right now. We will like that feature. With it, we can either avoid certain issues or know where we need to focus more regarding the service we provide."
    • "I would like the reporting aspect to be better, including the graphs. It could have some way for us to easily to export to a csv or spreadsheet so that if a graph cannot be provided by ServiceNow itself, we would be able to use other applications to create them. Also, if there was a feature that enabled us to interact with end users directly from ServiceNow, like an instant-messaging type of feature, that would be great."

What other advice do I have?

Learn anything you need to know direclty from ServiceNow. It's a good product. I can't really knock it. Go ahead and give it a try. As long as it fits your environment, I think it's a fine product. I would rate ServiceNow at seven out of ten. I would like to see a little more automation. It may just be the type of license we have which doesn't give us full automation, but that would be one of the things that I would like in ServiceNow. That would make things easier for both the techs and the end users. In addition, I would like to see a better workflow setup within ServiceNow.
    GB
    Marketing Operations practice leader at Calibrate Legal, inc.
    User
    Provides internal clients with greater transparency about their projects and deliverables

What is our primary use case?

* Work intake * Project management * Project for a 30 person marketing and communications team at a Big 4 professional services firm.

• "It provides internal clients with greater transparency about their projects and deliverables."
    • "The setup was time-consuming and required a lot of internal resources."

What other advice do I have?

It is a very robust tool. We use it for all back office teams in the firm, resulting in a common interface and intake process across HR, IT, Marketing, and Finance.
    SP
    Director of Channels and Alliances at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
    Cloud-based so we're always current, and the features continue to grow and improve

What is our primary use case?

We build out video knowledge bases, how-to knowledge bases for self-service support and agent use. We integrate into a number of different ticketing systems, service management platforms, helpdesk platforms, and call center systems. We are a ServiceNow partner and we have a ServiceNow instance. We use it for ticketing support, ticketing systems. It has worked really well for what we do.

• "The biggest feature is that it is cloud-based, so it's always updated, it's always current. We don't have to worry about patches, revisions. We're always working with the latest version."
    • "Some enhancements to the self-service platform would be helpful. That part is still a little barebone... Also, the mobile app is not bad, but it's limited."

What other advice do I have?

First, decide what your processes need to be. Determine what your environment needs, what's important, what your priorities are, what your process methodology is, and find a platform to fit that. If you are trying to find a platform and you don't go through that exercise first, you're just tying yourself up in knots. If you choose the platform first, then you are going to match your processes to the platform. If you haven't been through a process, an internal system environmental analysis, to see how things work and what you need, you'll never be happy and you'll wind up changing platforms…
    PK
    Assistant Vice President at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Provides the ability to link different types of records with each other. The scalability needs improvement.

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is IT service management. It encompasses quite a few things, such as incident records, change records, etc.

• "It uses a common base of data and allows different types of records to pull from that same base of data."
    • "The scalability needs improvement."
    • "The ability to embed help information onto the screens."

What other advice do I have?

The most important thing to have in place is the face of the configuration data. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: * Scalability * The development model: How are updates made and promoted to production. * Ability to embed user help information directly to the interface.
    Systems Analyst at a energy/utilities company with 11-50 employees
    It enables communication between stakeholders. It helps us collaborate with each other.

What is our primary use case?

We use it for incidents, incident management, sales management, and problem management. We are very happy with the product. We are about to upgrade to IT Service Management edition on September.

• "We can keep track of incidences. There is a bucket where we keep all our information, and it enables communication between stakeholders. It helps us collaborate with each other."
    • "If it is a high priority, they will respond very quickly. If it is a low priority issue, it might take some time, some three or four days. I would rate the technical support as a 10 out of 10."
    • "We would like to have an Asset Management and/or Project Management feature enabled in this version and in the IT Service Management edition."
    • "The Express edition does not allow the option for scripting."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend it as a product. Most important criteria when selecting a solution: * Stability * Reputation in the market * Is the product well-known? * How long has the product been offered?
    National IT Asset Management Lead at KPMG
    ​The workflow capability for easy setup is powerful

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this for our North America practice of IT Asset Management and IT Service Management (incident, problem, change, and knowledge). We also use it for HR Case Management and are now developing business applications in order to perform things like IP and Application Management.

• "The most recent addition of SAM Premium is a game changer for many organizations."
    • "The look and feel is a valuable benefit for adoption."
    • "​The workflow capability for easy setup is powerful."
    • "I would like to see Advanced Intelligent Automation."
    Managing Director at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    It has an excellent capability to integrate different access points

What is our primary use case?

Used for the entire company (400K), like HR, service desk and other functions.

How has it helped my organization?

Easy to implement and consolidate different platforms and users with useful functionalities.

What is most valuable?

It has an excellent capability to integrate different access points. It is very user-friendly, too.

What needs improvement?

It has a higher cost compared to local/regional solutions.

Trial/evaluations only.

Local solutions have lower costs.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend ServiceNow.
    User at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
    Needs additional software titles and easier normalization. However, it identifies better ways to license software or eliminate unused software to save money.

What is our primary use case?

Microsoft and Oracle Software tracking and management.

How has it helped my organization?

Maintains a real-time view of license position.  Compies with contract terms to avoid penalties and the impact that an audit can have on day-to-day activity  Identifies better ways to license software or eliminate unused software to save money and maintain a choice between buying more licenses or reclaiming licenses to stay within compliance.

What is most valuable?

Oracle and Microsoft license software catalog.

What needs improvement?

Needs additional software titles and easier normalization.

Trial/evaluations only.
    Senior IT Service Management & ServiceNow Consultant at Independent
    The tool is SaaS and customization is minimized in the critical early design phase by its "out-of-the-box" approach
    IT Governance Senior Consultant at Axianseu Digital Solutions S.A.
    Simplicity of Change Manager and easy implementation are reasons to use it

• "Simplicity of Change Manager."

What other advice do I have?

It is the best solution in the market.
      End User Support at a hospitality company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      We can make sure all the hardware is being utilized, so we're not keeping backlogs or whatever.

• "The analytics - we like to keep track of how much work everyone is doing."
      • "Most people are discussing UIs, but I'm a developer. I would say 80-90% of the people would appreciate that, that's easy for them, but from a developer perspective, it's hard for me, because for me it's clunky"

What other advice do I have?

Granted there's pros and cons in being everything that it wants to be. In our experience, we have Case, we have SCCM: sure, you're generating a report in SECM, and then you're generating another report in Case, there's a slight chance that the result will be different. If you have one thing, one software that's doing everything for you, the reports and the results will be consistent. I see that it's not done yet, it's not complete yet, but in the long run I also see it coming up with a bunch of problems.
      Developer at Duke University Health System
      Putting a nice visual interface and a nice visual experience to all the data and information is good.

What other advice do I have?

I'd definitely recommend that you take a look and figure out what their needs are really. What are their goals, why are they looking at ServiceNow in the first place, and just go in there and take a look and get a demo or something and just jump in and give it a look. It's pretty great, especially being at Knowledge 16 where I saw all the different possibilities and all the different things you can do. I'm really excited to take that knowledge and get back to do more cool stuff with it. I'd say coming in I maybe would've said 7/10, but coming out of the event I'd say it's definitely a great…
      GS
      Sr. Engineer at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
      We've been looking at a means to provide a service catalog experience to the business as a whole

• "Within our organization, we're not finding really any major issues with scalability and things of that nature."
      • "We do a lot of relatively advanced stuff for the size that we are, but ServiceNow itself is so big and to some extent, there is a significant amount of complexity that you have, a big learning curve I would say, in order to really get on board."

What other advice do I have?

At this point in time, it's interesting because a lot of what I'm seeing, there's a lot of momentum right now towards ServiceNow. It's one of those things amongst everyone, not just in the industry; a lot, all over the place. It's in a major growth mode. I'm not entirely sure they're going to see too many of the other products being able to keep up. It's one of those things; if you're looking at future-proofing yourself, and there's a lot of this, there are a lot of strategies for going with a cloud partner. I realize there are some cloud competitors who have started up out there with…
      Global Command Center Analyst at AstraZeneca
      Scheduling reports has decreased manual effort.
      ITSM Consultant at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      What I like about it is the integration capabilities. We use this a lot with our customers, integrating different systems with their suppliers.

What other advice do I have?

The time for go live is really short. You can get it up and running in a fast time compared to other solutions. That's definitely a plus. I think you should have your processes sorted out before you start implementing, or at least make decisions. You can always improve your process afterward. But it's good, then you have a starting motion. Otherwise, it's hard. If you're not sure about your processes, then you either stick to the standard processes, or otherwise it's hard to start implementation.
      Senior Specialist at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
      Easy to integrate with third party applications and appealing UI.

What is most valuable?

Highly Customizable, Easy to integrate with third party applications, Configurable with little knowledge, Appealing UI, Automates processes.

How has it helped my organization?

By automating processes it has increased efficiency and productivity. As it was easy to understand customers easily adopted it.

What needs improvement?

A global search should be present OOB which can locate anything in the system like any piece of code or any sys id or any record so that we don't have to goto to each module for searching it.

More than 4 years.

No. Very stable.

What do I think about the scalability of the

Business Intelligence Analyst & Developer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
      Design your IT portal exactly as you dreamed
      Senior Consultant at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
      PPS components such as Planning Console, Resource Workbench and the Visual Task Board are excellent add-ons.
      Software Developer at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
      I like the speed of being able to do things in ServiceNow.

What other advice do I have?

It's worth it, but have a good team around you to help you do it right. Having a team has been good to bounce ideas off of, especially when people have been using it in our organization for maybe eight or nine years. There's always someone who knows, "Oh don't do this," or "Do it that way."
      Unit Manager at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Some of the best things the tool brings to us revolve around the ability to manage all of our work.

What other advice do I have?

One piece of advice I would give you from my perspective is that if you're going to deploy it, make sure you put the appropriate amount of effort into training the end users. I think there is some complexity learning how to navigate it and I think for a lot of people having a document to follow is challenging sometimes. Make sure you put the appropriate amount of emphasis on training. I've been in IT for about 26 years, I've seen a lot of this stuff grow up in pieces. It's filling a niche I think a lot of people have really, really wanted which is bringing a lot of this information into one…
      ServiceNow Admin at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      It's pretty straightforward to setup and every now and then we make some changes.
      CEO at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
      The fact that it's cloud based is important to us.

What other advice do I have?

I would highly recommend it. I would say first thing you need to do is sit down and figure out how you're going to start with it and then, where do you want to expand from. Obviously, you don't want every module to start with. Start off with what's your biggest need or what's the easiest to implement and then go from there.
      Production Engineer at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      It's given us one pane of glass to look at a lot.

What other advice do I have?

If they're coming into it new and they don't have any experience with it, I would say that they need to find a third party that can help get that tool rolling quickly. I would say that we didn't know enough. We went with a company early on, that I had mentioned earlier, that we weren't a hundred percent satisfied with. We switched over to a different company now that we're using, and it's better. It's not perfect. I would say that you need to go and you need to find somebody that can help get you started. If it's not another company that you can look to, third party come in and help out.
      Developer at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Scaling is nicely done, we've been integrating with other companies as well.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend it and I love this tool. Anything that I think of, the tool can do. The one thing that we were looking for was HR and procurement management. They were looking for the document management and red lines. You can do the documents attached to it, but they cannot do the document itself, like a template or something I believe they are doing the that in Helsinki.
      IT Manager at a insurance company with 5,001-10,000 employees
      The integration between asset management, ticketing and having it all under one roof is going to help us become more efficient.
      Manager of Helpdesk at Bloomin' Brands
      Provides one system of record and you can connect the dots all the way through the lifecycle.

What other advice do I have?

Don't look at ServiceNow as what it can do for whatever department you're in, but try to get some buy in higher up in the organization because the more foundation and different groups you can get into ServiceNow at the beginning, the easier it is for the adoption. It really can become something for the entire organization. Getting that buy in from the beginning helps it grow a little faster. If you've got 5 different groups that will be in it from the beginning, then some of the choices you're going to make are going to be a little bit different and they're going to be a little more future…
      Business Analyst at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
      It's well integrated into different environments and relatively open.

What other advice do I have?

Prepare a very good Service Catalog first. Then you have a very good base to work on and then trying to adapt the interface to the user to the very basic user because it's the main problem we have to face too.
      Co-founder at ClarityWorks BV
      I like that it's going a bit away from IT and allows you to compose a service catalog or asset database.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely advise you to transition into ServiceNow because I've seen comparisons with the BMC Projects which is a lot more expensive. I haven't seen any functionality that I would really like except maybe for some Performance Analytics functionality that is more user friendly than what I saw.
      Asst. Director, Technology Support Services at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
      The ability to take the whole organization and put it in one place is valuable.

What other advice do I have?

I would have them analyze their business and see if they had the drive to move to a system like ServiceNow. ServiceNow was a huge jump for us because it was seeing the world differently, and some universities, particularly smaller ones, don't have the willpower to make that jump, and so what I would tell them is, "There is a lot of potential here, and if you're ready for it, grab it with both hands, and just do it, but if you're not, back off." I mean, they have the ServiceNow Express that's sort of a light way to get into the system, but I think my advice would be, to do your due diligence…
      Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      It's all about the level of usefulness ServiceNow brings to IT. Usability, application customizations and ease of building your own product within the tool.
      Sr. Program Manager at a media company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      We use it to serve our end-user community so that they can order product and get service from our help desk.

What other advice do I have?

First question I would ask is, "What are you waiting for? You've described to me all your problems that you're having. You're decentralized. You're disparate. You have all these things that are hanging out there. You don't have a way to communicate essentially through people. Come on board." I took the governance class. It was a day and a half, and I sat at a table with people that had the same problems. We had a new implementation in the two months prior. We have someone that's on a competitor's application, and they've already made the decision to come in ServiceNow, but it took the…
      ServiceNow Developer and Analyst at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      We are using ServiceNow to replace some applications on systems that we're hoping to be able to retire.

What other advice do I have?

It would help to know more about a specific situation to give advice, but it is nice that there's a decent sized ServiceNow community and Wiki that you can find what you need. If you see a demo or see some of what ServiceNow can do, it's certainly worth looking into. However, to give more specific advice, I'd need to know more. I think there's some things about that that ServiceNow could have implemented better, but the software in general is good and solid.
      Sr Software Engineer at Southwest Airlines
      We've been able to finally implement a CMDB.

What other advice do I have?

Come to a user group meeting and we'd love to connect, meet and show you what we've done and talk about where you're at and give you some feedback and advice about what worked, what didn't work, what we thought might work better.
      Senior Consultant at Devoteam
      If we need to build other applications we can do it, the same way if we want to modify an application.
      Senior Technical Manager at a religious institution with 1,001-5,000 employees
      I use the solution for analytics, but my team uses it for incident management.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend the product and I think there's potential for it. For the features that we have now, it's been day and night difference from what we've had.
      Support Specialist at a insurance company with 501-1,000 employees
      It helped us better our processes. It forced us into adopting best practices.

What other advice do I have?

Definitely understand a bit about ITIL best practice and what that is. We had a gentleman come in about three months before ServiceNow was brought in. He actually ran a mock help desk scenario with business asking things and with the knowledge base being put in typical back end of the level two support. We played the game several times, reorienting where all the knowledge is, where their work was done, and all of a sudden, I had a bird's eye view of how work should be done. As we were implementing ServiceNow, all the decisions and all the modules we put in place laid out to support that…
      Developer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
      There's not a lot of tools that I've been an administrator of where the community really helps out.

What other advice do I have?

I'd tell them to stay out of the box as much as possible. We've had it for quite a while, I think since 2005. Out of the box as much as possible because once you start developing and making stuff your own and then some cool new features come down the line. It makes a lot of work to look at backing out stuff so you can implement the new features from ServiceNow and then maybe eventually putting your stuff back in. Just stay out of the box as much as possible, alleviate headaches.
      Director at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
      Most valuable feature in my eyes is the rapid development.
      Programmer Analyst at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      We started off at ITIL processes, but now we're looking at integrating that with other aspects of our business.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to do it, not knowing obviously what their ITIL processes are beforehand. I would say, "Get ready to ride the roller coaster," because, like I said before, you can do almost anything with it, which is also a downfall because when we started we were doing just incident change and problem. Now we're doing incident change, problem, project, self-service portal, CMDB discovery, service mapping, even management. It grows exponentially. You have to try to keep up with all those pieces.
      ServiceNow Developer at Western Governors University
      The ability to manipulate or customize all of the underlying structure is what I like best.

What other advice do I have?

I would ask about the use case. What are you trying to solve? What are you trying to do? Then I would advise based on their feedback provided and their budget. Some budgets are very small and I don't know if they would work with this solution.
      Project Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Get everybody on it, don't do it piecemeal.

What other advice do I have?

Go for it. I actually said that to someone who's nervous about doing it. Get everybody on it, don't do it piecemeal. One of the gals that did a presentation [at Knowledge 16] said they're using demand and project but still using Microsoft Project. Don't do that, put it all in Servicenow. Even though it may be a little clunky in certain places, it helps to have one tool and everything in one place.
      ServiceNow Developer at a non-tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      I like how configurable it is.

What other advice do I have?

Go for it, but start in a small area, and don't bite off more than you can chew, because it does take time to develop this stuff. It's not as easy as everybody thinks, so I wouldn't make too many promises that you're going to get stuff out there quick.
      Principal Engineer at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
      The ease of use is great, whether it be for someone like me who's an administrator and developer, or just the end user in general.

What other advice do I have?

I would tell you to take a look at it. It's a great product. Get a demo and get familiar with it, because you can pretty much do anything you need to do with it.
      Director of IT at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
      Originally we rolled it out for ITSM because we were using different tools which weren't integrated.
      Applications Analyst at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      The integration and automation are most valuable.

What other advice do I have?

It's a great tool. I would say people need to get their processes correct before they get the tool because that really drives what ServiceNow is. You have to be somewhat oriented for the tool to work. Once you get oriented, it'll drive that process but if you had that process beforehand the tool is going to keep going.
      ServiceNow Engineer at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
      The ability to create applications that follow a standard workflow is key for us.

What other advice do I have?

I would tell you that for me and for what our business uses, I highly recommend it, but that you should look at their business case and see if you need a product as fully-featured as ServiceNow is because it comes at a cost. Depending on what your needs are, it's possible to look at other products. There are a lot of similar products out there. ServiceNow is probably not the cheapest but if you have a specific set of needs particularly the ease of building applications, request forms, stuff I mentioned earlier, I think it's the best product on the market.
      Supervisor of Training and QA at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
      I like the adaptability and the flexibility of the tool.

What other advice do I have?

I would absolutely recommend it. We're a little bit of a unique case in a lot of ways because we were on ServiceNow a couple years ago and we actually moved away from it, because we're running Salesforce for the rest of our university for case management. There was a mandate that we wanted everything to be in Salesforce, so we actually moved away from ServiceNow to Remedyforce. It was a disaster and about a year later we moved back to ServiceNow. I think it's an interesting demonstration of the fact that it's such a good product that even after we moved away from it we came back. A lot of pain…
      Engagement Manager at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
      It can be taken out of the box and used with minimal custom configuration.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend it. I think the biggest challenge with all of the functionality that exists in ServiceNow today is to figure out where to start, and having a narrow strategy so that when you do buy it you don't try to do everything at once and get nothing done. A lot of the sessions around here [at Knowledge16] have done a good job in outlining that and driving their experience. I definitely recommend it.
      Sr. Developer at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
      MSP
      It's a simple platform to get up to speed on.

What other advice do I have?

Being more technical myself, would say that having a clear and consistent view of your requirements, what you want to do, and to try to stay out of the box at first as much as possible. This is the third company I've worked for who uses ServiceNow and we always try to over-customize it at first, because everybody has very defined processes. Over-customization of the tool will hamstring you in how you can take advantage of stuff that they release. They always seem to release something that you're wanting to build right after you build it. It's been a challenge because a lot of people think they…
      IT Support at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      From my standpoint the process flexibility is one of the key aspects of the solution.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend it to anyone to do any service management.
      Performance Analyst at a insurance company with 5,001-10,000 employees
      For us it's about trying to wrap our heads around the volume of tickets that are coming in the door. We use ServiceNow to generate those reports daily.

What other advice do I have?

Go ahead and get it. You'll have a cleaner insight into your organization, and how it's really working. You're going to do a little fighting with your groups if they're not already doing careful time tracking. ServiceNow is based at the task level. They assume that they are going to give you a task. That task has some time collateral associated with it. That tells you how long you're spending on certain things. You have better insight into those tasks, better insight into how that time is being deployed. If your organization isn't already doing that, you're going to have a little bit of a…
      ServiceNow Solutions Manager at a tech services company
      I think the most powerful features are discovery, orchestration, the business map of the relationships, and building applications for business.

What other advice do I have?

It's genius and there is no risk from the IT manager perspective. The management team of a company isn't at risk either and the future is always promising. You can be sure that if you invest in ServiceNow the entire company will be happy. Always have a good partner to develop the instance and everything will be fine. For IT management, it's not risky to experiment with ServiceNow. I would give it a ten. It's the best, from my perspective, especially compared with the IT systems I've worked with before.
      Consultant at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      The single record system allows companies to have all data in one platform and applications for different topics.

What other advice do I have?

You should take the administration training and also the implementation specialist, and bring someone in. The best thing is if you have experience, since if you change something or see and do it by yourself, then you understand the whole system and how ServiceNow works.You understand what is the big advantage of the different configuration possibilities. If someone doesn't like to write code or JavaScript it's OK as you can use the configuration, but you need to understand what ServiceNow is, and how ServiceNow works.
      IT Applications Manager at a legal firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
      The product is malleable. You can change it around to do what you need to do. If you need certain configuration items, categories or subcategories, you can make it work for your environment.

What other advice do I have?

If you're really wanting to understand the time and the effort and the amount of work that flows through your organization, utilizing ServiceNow can help you really build that infrastructure out by tracking incidents and then taking incidents to problems and making sure you have a changed infrastructure, really understand how much downtime you could have with an environment. You can understand how much time the service desk is spending per call, how long your engineers are taking to really resolve a larger issue or deploy an upgrade. From building those processes and then having metrics and…
      Program Manager with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Every time there has been an update, it's been fairly seamless for us.

What other advice do I have?

You should look at ServiceNow and at the business processes. If a roadmap was available it would be very easy for you to choose one and implement that first, and as they go along pick up another one. We have our own development groups so obviously we can customize stuff well, where others probably can't, so I prefer my custom apps, but if I take that away I'd probably give ServiceNow an eight and a half, or nine. I consider my custom apps probably seven and a half. I need to learn also how to integrate some of our custom apps to start working within ServiceNow and those too. That's a short…
      IT Solutions Consultant at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      We started using it to reduce a manual process of validating course training before providing users with something, like VPN access.

What other advice do I have?

Play with it. Get a demo instance. Play with it. Come up with your use cases and see if it can fulfill all of those needs. Find out where they gaps are and what training you need to be able to use it. The other one talk to everybody else. Find other customers. The biggest thing we've found is other people that have used it, and just bouncing ideas off of them and asking them questions. I've used Heat, Remedy, all those systems in the past. The way ServiceNow is going with the platform and staying on top of things, and the fact that it is so scalable for your business needs is an advantage…
      Infrastructure Architect at Cognizant
      It's flexible since it can be fully customized.

What other advice do I have?

You need to look at what tool you're currently using, what gaps you have, and what pain areas could easily be fixed by the flexibility of ServiceNow. Based on that I would say, OK, why go with ServiceNow and not continue with the one that you're using.
      Enterprise Architect at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      This brought everything into a single location so we could see how our business applications were related to servers, switches, and firewalls.

What other advice do I have?

It's a great platform but it's so open that you can get bogged down pretty quickly in trying to make all of your customers happy. I would stress try to keep it out of the box, vanilla as possible, and you'd actually be a little bit happier, let the system do what it's supposed to do. I really like it, I really, really do. There's a lot there. We've struggled on some things, but I think overall it's a great platform for our company.
      ServiceNow Report Architect and Developer at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      In my opinion, the important features are the reporting capabilities and the consolidation of the data on the back end.

What other advice do I have?

I'd say do it in baby steps. Do incident management first, to make sure that you have a really good team that can support it before you expand it, and having a really clean CMDB.
      Senior Developer Integrator at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
      For me, the most valuable feature is the platform aspect - the ability to create custom apps and even tailor the existing ones to your company's needs.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be if you're looking, trying to bill, or looking to go with a single niche app and you just want to spend it off and go with it, then by all means, pick whatever app you're looking at. If you're looking for something that you can bring into your organization to be more than just a single purpose, if you are looking to truly transform your organization with the tools that you're using, ServiceNow is the go-to.
      IT Manager at Utah State University
      Reporting is one of the key features, it's getting access to data that we have in ServiceNow and being able to report on it.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a big proponent of ServiceNow. While I think it's a great system, it's not a silver bullet. I don't think there is a silver bullet system out there for IT, or for an enterprise. I would say ServiceNow is as close, in the variety of systems that I've come across, it's as close as a system has come to meeting not only an IT need, but an organizational need. That's initially where we started. We started it at with an IT need. I would say in order for it to be successful, you have to have buy-in from the top. If your administration is buying in with it, and can show their level of support for…
      Servicedesk Associate at a consumer goods company with 501-1,000 employees
      The way incidents are created and tracking our inventory and important to us.

What other advice do I have?

I would say go for it, because at my other company we had a system called Track-It but nobody ever used it. It wasn't that good, and I don't know if it was cheap or it they just stopped using it altogether, but ServiceNow is really good.
      Sr. Engineer at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      We're moving from Remedy to ServiceNow. So far it seems intuitive and straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

If you have an existing Remedy installation I'd say, "Run, run away from it. Run to ServiceNow." To me that's a no-brainer. If you have nothing I would ask to get a demo to understand what ServiceNow will do for you. You need to really get into the whole ITLL realm and get some training. The thing would be is to realize what it can do for your company. What we've really done is realized what going in that direction can actually do for our company. Therefore, this is a far superior tool to implement that. Again, it's a tool, it's not going to help you if you don't have that great understanding…
      Assistant VP at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
      The improvement to organization is due to the amount of stuff that we can put in and then direct people to a single place instead of multiple places.

What other advice do I have?

First, I'd tell you to do it. I've been on four or five separate ITSM systems and ServiceNow has been the best. I've used Remedy, Vantive, and Autotask, and none of them come close to the ease of use and development that ServiceNow has. I would tell you to step away sort of like as an architecture, because you can do a lot of things on servers now that wind up being dirty data or just technical death. Just be very true, with whatever you're doing, think about it, write it down, then implement it, that sort of thing. I love it, I love the platform. In fact, I view my job as sort of not trying…
      Sr. Systems Engineer at Optum
      For our organization, auditing, asset tracking, following tickets, and making sure what our employees are doing are the most valuable aspects.

What other advice do I have?

I would say that it's just very straightforward. You want your users to have a good experience. With ease of use, I'd say it's perfect.
      Team Lead at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      One of the advantages for us is the flexibility users have to create their own dashboards, reports and customizations.

What other advice do I have?

I'd do it. I mean just do it. If you're looking for a flexible tool that's going to grow with you, that's going to expand your flexibility, or expand your team, or expand how you do things and streamline things, I would do it. We've only been on it three years, but we've already done one upgrade, and I was prepared for the worst. I had come into work at midnight, and brought my snacks and sat at the desk and then basically watched the upgrade, and I won't be doing that again. I mean it's just that easy, it really is.
      Program Manager at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      We initially got on board because it's a single system of record, and we're trying to centralize a lot of different apps.

What other advice do I have?

So far the people we've been working with are great. The system is available all the time, and we have high hopes for the single system of record concept where everything is linked together. We love the user experience concept that we're starting to roll out. That's a huge piece for us as our big disconnect from our business slash end users in IT, the way they communicate, throw things over the fence. We see this as a great opportunity to kind of bridge that gap and kind of bring both players together. One of the reasons we're moving over financial management in addition to system of record is…
      IT Planning and Program Management Director at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
      The project portfolio management part is most helpful and useful to me.
      Sr. Enterprise Service Management Platform Analyst at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      I'm impressed with the custom app development platform and the fact that is it able to connect with GitHub to share source code.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise you to stay out of the box as much as possible. I know it is very difficult to do that, but if you stay out of the box and go with minimum customization it would be the best, because when you upgrade to the next version, our next release or example, we will encounter issues if you have customized it, and you'll have to fix that. Also as far as testing goes, try to automate it. Because that's right now a challenge for us, a regression test.
      Systems Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
      We haven't really had any major downtime incidents since we've had it in place.

What other advice do I have?

I think getting your support team involved early on so that they understand how the process is going to change from whatever they're currently using is a big key. We had some growing pains initially going from one system to the other, but getting the support team involved early on in the process would be very beneficial to anyone that's moving forward with ServiceNow.
      Sr Analyst at Southwest Airlines
      Enables us to easily spin up a business portal.

What other advice do I have?

Just really for me, it's all about the business case. What's a success story to tell? What are you able to do now that you couldn't do before? Some of the things that I would showcase are the wild set that we used to be in as far as requests goes and now we have the catalog and we're growing that everyday. Also, having a business portal is a huge selling point. Anything where you can spin up a portal as easily as you can with ServiceNow and make IT approachable for a business user is important. Every time they patch, they break the entire catalog. They need to fix that.
      Developer at VSI
      The ITSM rules are most important for me.

What other advice do I have?

The cloud is the future, so you want to have everything in the cloud, everything organized, everything in one place. Basically, that's it. The cloud is the future.
      Managaer of InfoSys at a tech vendor with 501-1,000 employees
      It's valuable to us because we do a lot of custom development on the platform. I don't really see the monetarily value from what we're spending from a support perspective.

What other advice do I have?

Advice to peers: It would depend on the problems they're trying to solve. It really would depend on the problems they're trying to solve. As an ITSM solution, I would highly recommend it, first choice. For something else, it would depend.
      Program Manager at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Real time reporting capabilities and knowledge management features are the most important to my work.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you have your processes well defined before you go to implement a tool because that's where you're going to get your real payoff. It's going to really help you improve things if you have all that well documented, well understood before you have it implemented. I think that's the biggest thing. I think that they could do a lot better on thr interface. Especially for the back end because we can build all kinds of- there's all kinds of companies out there that create all these things. At some point you would think that they want to improve these certain aspects of it that- like…
      System Administrator at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
      It acts as a one-stop shop for customers to be able to go in and create instant problem tickets if the incident is severity one or two.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend it. I would recommend not doing a lot of client scripts. Not doing a lot of customization. Stick with the out of the box, it's easier to upgrade, easier to implement. The people who are behind the scenes like I am need to go and find things in the Wiki. It's much easier to find, to fix that type of thing. I've really enjoyed working with it, and I guess it's just the way we have things set up. It's a little frustrating not being able to find things, all the stuff I have to go through to get things fixed.
      Team Manager at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Flexible platform to build applications and to extend our service management.

What other advice do I have?

ServiceNow is a very good platform, but do not build up things too fast. That's what I'd say, because the problem is recognized from our companies and they say, "It's easy to throw things out into the business." But if you have a role model or such then you have so much effort to implement or rebuild those things during these things are in operational mode. I would say yeah, do it, but not too fast.
      IT Executive at a media company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      We use it for management and change management. It includes many customizable features we like.

What other advice do I have?

I would tell you that ServiceNow is a great product to use because just from what we have, what we use, It's highly customizable, there's a lot of features that we like, it's just that performance analytics isn't as great as some of the other pieces that they have.
      Director of Technical Services at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
      They architectured the solution in a way that makes it open and customizable.

What other advice do I have?

First of all, I think you have to really think if ServiceNow is a fit for them. As long as they can define what they're doing and somehow link it to service, because ultimately it's a service. In fact, doing any kind of service then this is the platform to go with because this is a platform that can fit into your business processes rather than trying to change your business processes just to use a platform. The benefit comes from the fact that, are you trying to provide a service and is that service very specific to your organization and does your organization work in a specific way. If it…
      Enterprise Architect at Kordia Solutions
      If someone wants automation or workflow, you can probably build it fairly easily.

What other advice do I have?

Some advice that I've heard - get people hands on with it as early as possible. I find a I go through requirements with a user or with a company that they get, and they'll think that it's solid. As soon as they start playing with ServiceNow they realize "hang on, maybe I can get it to do this, I can change this. "The requirements just completely change. I think it's excellent in all of the ways that software can be. The only negative that I've got is the one that I said before which is half negative, half positive. That it's being developed so quickly.
      Configuration Manager/ServiceNow Admin at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Coding allows you to change it to do what you need it to do. I've used other systems where this wasn't the case.

What other advice do I have?

Try to do as much as you can out of the box. Use as much out of box parts of it as you can. Development does come in handy, makes it scalable, and makes it more usable, but use as much out of the box as you can. That's the best advice I can give you. The best thing is that when you patch and something's working one day, you patch and it's not working the next after you've tested and tested and tested and it's not working. Also, there's the fact that there are things that are changed that people are not notified about.
      Sr. Systems Admin at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      For my use, the most valuable features are the ability to track changes and tie changes in the problem tickets together as well as tie incidents together to the problem tickets.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you flesh out what you're doing. Honestly, I see all the pitfalls are the ones where you'll have a misunderstanding, or make a bad choice in configuration. If you believe that the offering is going to work for you, then you need to make sure you reach out to people who are going through similar situations, or rather it's three years in advance in your same situation. Find another partner company that has already gone through the preliminary, but not too far in the future because then you just look and say, "Wow. They completed so much. How are we ever going to get there?" A year or…
      IT Consultant - SNOW at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
      It's helped to automate repetitive tasks, but the UI can be busy and complicated for non-IT users.
      Technical Service Technician at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
      MSP
      We're now able to use emails in the Request Fulfillment process, instead of assigning roles to an account.

What other advice do I have?

Based on my experiences so far, I'd recommend it.
      Lead Engineer with 501-1,000 employees
      MSP
      The core applications are what our business uses day-to-day, including incident, change, problem, service catalogue and knowledge.

What other advice do I have?

There are a ton of features and capabilities that can be used to automate processes within your organization and have a single source of data and this is an exceptional tool for that. There is always room for improvement and as they try to expand into different markets ,I do think some of the older applications get left behind and aren’t maintained as they should be. ServiceNow is a great tool and I would highly recommend it. It will give you powerful automation capabilities and can significantly decrease time users have to spend researching and working tickets not matter what department it…
      Senior Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
      You can quickly automate delivery of services or goods to the end-user.

What other advice do I have?

A strong architect is needed. You should follow best practices and challenge customers. So don’t implement everything right at the moment when you receive requirements. Find a strong partner with experience of other customers of the same size and nature. Find a parter that will create, together with you, a strategy that will guide you during preparation, all phases of development, and operational times.
      Solution Consultant with 51-200 employees
      Stability is a complete non-issue as it's all cloud-based and I've never experienced down-time.

What other advice do I have?

You should go play with it and learn how it works. You can get free personal developer/demo instance spun up at developer.service-now.com. When it comes to the time to get your requirements ready you will be miles ahead and save money rather than blindly coming up with requirements, having a solution implemented, and then finding out you want to change 10% - 30% of what you originally thought you wanted. Out-of-box end-user portal (this is highly customizable, and I’ve seen some pretty slick interfaces): Fulfiller home screen: Some of the base applications and list view of records: Just an…
      Senior Analyst of eCommerce Systems at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      As we had a terrible system before ServiceNow, we did not have any kind of KPIs. Now we have all the processes integrated between each other and with some good KPIs.

What other advice do I have?

As a technical specialist, I can see that the product is really good and has lots of enhancements with each version. It’s a really good (but expensive) product. As it’s very easy to customize, it’s also easy to break it. I would recommend just to have a really good specialist (who knows some of the business as well) and it should be pretty straightforward to succeed.
      Lead Software Engineer at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
      It comes as a set of pre-built ITIL processes as well as a platform to build a variety of custom business applications.

Valuable Features

ServiceNow comes as a set of pre-built ITIL processes as well as a platform that can be used to build a variety of custom business applications.

Room for Improvement

Even though there is a huge freedom in what you can customize, there are still plenty of areas for improvement regarding non-documented APIs and hard-coded functionality.

Use of Solution

We've been using the solution since 2014 (Eureka version).

No, deployment is very smooth and your production instance will be up and running in no time.

There were a couple of issues on ServiceNow side which were promptly addressed by ServiceNow support.

I would say there is a lot of room for improvement when it comes to…
      ServiceNow Developer / Systems Administrator at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      It really helped us streamline and automate some functions that were lost in our recent reduction of staff and restructuring, although ​implementation is a little overwhelming without a good partner.

What other advice do I have?

It's great, but there's always room for improvement. We are pretty good friends with our reps since their office is right down the street and we get invited to hangout with them quite often.
      Senior Tools Engineer at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      We're able to provide Process as a Service, but the usability and user experience is a really big issue and needs to be improved.

What is most valuable?

Its integrated process data-model is a feature that's valuable for us.

How has it helped my organization?

It's provided a platform to provide Process as a Service.

What needs improvement?

The usability and user experience is a really big issue and needs to be improved.

We've used it for five years.

We encountered no issues with deployment.

We encountered no issues with stability.

We encountered no issues with scalability.

In our experience with technical support, we found that first-level…
      Infrastructure Support Engineer with 5,001-10,000 employees
      We're able to see the most common issues and then automate them, reducing the number of helpdesk calls. However, the pricing model for add-on products could be improved.

What other advice do I have?

When you purchase the tool, do not try to make it behave or look like your current system. Remember, you purchased this product for it’s ability and you should take full advantage of that.
      CareWorks Tech at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
      The submission and approval parts do not require licenses, but the configuration capabilities of the end-user facing portal needs work.

What other advice do I have?

Ensure you have basic processes in place instead of having the tool guide your process. Within ServiceNow, the saying is “The good and bad side of ServiceNow is that you can do anything.” So while you can customize everything, I recommend streamlining as much as possible.
      Director of Infrastructure at a media company with 501-1,000 employees
      Highly customizable which is a mixed blessing