SevOne Network Data Platform Overview

SevOne Network Data Platform is the #7 ranked solution in our list of top Server Monitoring tools. It is most often compared to SolarWinds NPM: SevOne Network Data Platform vs SolarWinds NPM

What is SevOne Network Data Platform?

SevOne provides modern monitoring and analytics solutions that organizations need to monitor their networks today, tomorrow and beyond. SevOne simplifies the extraction and enrichment of metric, flow, and streaming telemetry data across multi-vendor networks enabling enterprises, carriers and managed services providers to ensure optimal network operations and performance.

SevOne provides SaaS, public cloud and on-prem offerings, including several pre-built solutions specifically designed to solve SD-WAN, SDN, NFV and enterprise Wi-Fi challenges. SevOne helps customers compete and win in the connected world by increasing their business agility and velocity of delivering new applications and services. SevOne is privately held and is headquartered in Boston, Mass. Follow SevOne on Twitter at @SevOneInc.

SevOne Network Data Platform is also known as SevOne.

SevOne Network Data Platform Buyer's Guide

Download the SevOne Network Data Platform Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

SevOne Network Data Platform Customers

Adobe, Aflac, BT, Comcast, eBay, EA, Go Daddy, Liberty Global, Telstra, TMobile, Spark, Starhub, SKY, UBS

SevOne Network Data Platform Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about SevOne Network Data Platform pricing:
  • "Although I don't have exact details in terms of cost, my experience has been that SevOne is willing to make a deal with the customer."
  • "The pricing has not evolved with the market, which is one of the reasons we are moving to a new product."
  • "Many tools price things based on the number of KPIs that you're collecting around a device. In many cases, there could be hundreds of metrics that you need to collect. SevOne provides device-level pricing. That gives us the flexibility to turn on, and expand on, the metrics that we're collecting around those devices, without taking a financial hit."
  • "The pricing has been fair."

SM
Manager of REN Operations at Rogers Communications
Easy to use, facilitates proactive problem detection and resolution, with helpful and responsive support

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use SevOne for performance management. We're managing an internal corporate network for a large Canadian telco. This includes the data centers, the branch offices, media locations, retail stores, and all of those kinds of connections. We use it obviously to monitor performance, and we also use it to do some performance alarming, and things like that. We use it extensively to help us communicate with other teams, and with executives so that we can present valuable network data in a pleasing way. It's also accurate, easy to read, and easy to digest for non-network teams, executives… more »

• "We find that the reporting is particularly valuable in terms of not only communicating with our peer teams but also with the executives."
  • "The reporting of NMS is good, but it could be better."
  • "The reporting of NMS is good, but it could be better."

What other advice do I have?

Overall, I'm pretty happy with this product and how it's used day-to-day. SevOne is a product that can integrate network performance management across ITSM and business decision-making tools, although that is not something that we have implemented. That said, the data that it produces is very insightful for that type of planning. Capacity planning and engineering are examples of that. I'm fairly certain that it will enhance your decision-making, although it may depend on how you want to set that up. Specifically, you might want it to do that automatically with some kind of an API call between…
TK
Senior Manager of Global Network at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Good integration with ServiceNow, licensing model needs to be improved

What is our primary use case?

My use case at the initial startup was very simple. I had a carrier, which was a backbone globally implemented, and I needed a monitoring solution. The type of solution I needed had to capture SNMP traps, poll my equipment, perform traffic analysis, deal with historical data, and things like that. This requirement has remained constant through the entire seven years of implementation with them. At the end of the month, we're ending our relationship with this vendor for a variety of different reasons. Among the problems is the pricing model that they have, although a lot of it has to do with… more »

• "The most valuable feature as of late has been the API integration with ServiceNow."
  • "Their virtualization solution is not compatible with our Kubernetes environment, which is one of the reasons we are ending our relationship with them."

What other advice do I have?

SevOne is capable of bringing together its analytics reports and workflows in a single dashboard, although I don't actively use that specific dashboard. The stuff that I use with SevOne is very specific to a need at the moment and as such, I don't require the use of a collapsed view. In my world, it's hard to summarize everything in one place. Everything is going to be compartmentalized, so I have multiple dashboards with different data. It isn't that I don't want to use a single pane of glass but it just doesn't serve any purpose for what I need on a daily basis. Overall, this is a good…
Learn what your peers think about SevOne Network Data Platform. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
510,204 professionals have used our research since 2012.
SP
Network Analyst at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
MSP
Data Insight reporting tool has templates that you can create for all kinds of reports

What is our primary use case?

We use SevOne to manage about 10,000 network devices on our system. We monitor those devices with all the performance data, run reports, and see alerts. We have a manager of managers that sits above SevOne that actually displays all of our alerts, does some correlation and other things. We also provide some maps and reporting.

• "Data Insight reporting tool is the most valuable feature. They came up with it a couple of years ago. The most pleasing factor is the dark theme. You don't have a white background. It has templates that you can create for all kinds of reports that you can hit on the fly. It's much better printing of the reports. If you want to send PDFs to people, the reports are actually decent. Whereas for years, the old architecture of the PDFs was rubbish and even our customers said, "We have to manipulate your PDFs because they all have bad margin breaks. SevOne fixed that a couple of years ago with the new Data Insight. It's fantastic."
  • "There are a lot of pain points. My main problem is that we don't have a high availability system. There are 20 peers. We're going to lose the end-of-life appliances that are old. If we lose a peer and it doesn't come back, we lose all that data. The reason we don't have high availability is because it's double the charge."

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to read the PDFs they have and then look at the videos on YouTube. That's what I do. I'm not a voracious reader, but I go to YouTube a lot. I would rate SevOne a nine out of ten.
Sr. System Manager at ATOS
MSP
In addition to network devices, we can monitor server-type devices, saving us from having to get a separate server monitoring tool

What is our primary use case?

We're using SevOne to monitor our network infrastructure. We provide monitoring services and performance capacity management for network gear, including routers, switches, wireless controllers, firewalls, and load balancers, to name a few. We have various manufacturers and different device models that we leverage the solution to monitor in our organization. Our deployment of SevOne is mostly virtualized. We have gone completely virtual in our environment. We have SevOne deployed in different regions of the world: the U.S., Hong Kong for Asia, as well as in London for Europe.

• "One of the solution's biggest strengths is its capacity management performance, with out-of-the-box reports through NMS, as well as its ability to collect NetFlow-related data from devices. The collection of network performance and flow data is important because we have many critical business applications."
  • "One area that requires a little bit of improvement is the topology of visualization and being able to map out connections, end-to-end. It's able to do that, but it's not as impressive as we would like it to be. We would like to understand the different interface types and the connection points better, through the visualization. Heatmaps also need further development."

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to have a good architecture review with SevOne to understand what your business needs are. Make sure that you are deploying the SevOne collectors as close to the network gear as possible, so you have the metrics with no latency over the network. The ease of use of the dashboard has improved, now that they've introduced Data Insight, which is their new visualization reporting engine. That is a little bit more user-friendly. They've made good progress with Data Insight to make things even easier. SevOne is an eight out of 10. They do a lot of things very well, but there are some…
BB
Sr. Network Engineer at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
We can get a new vendor certified and monitored in our system significantly faster than before

What is our primary use case?

We have quite a few use cases for the SevOne NMS. It's mainly for performance management by our different network teams and we also do performance management of our external customers. That means we offer businesses and schools and others access to a Comcast device for their site to give them internet, or site-to-site connectivity. We also monitor our Comcast Digital Voice in SevOne NMS. For the external customers and the Comcast Digital Voice, we're inputting flat file data into SevOne so that we can get the metrics for that flat file data and provide it to those customers. We're doing SMP… more »

• "The most valuable feature is the NMS because that's the core of the system. Without the NMS, the other tools aren't that usable."
  • "The SMP and the xStats, which is for flat file integration, are both useful for integrating the various metrics that the device provides to monitor the performance of those systems."
  • "There are some tweaks and enhancements that I've already requested. One is to be able to make changes per device rather than as a global setting. That has to do with naming. It's minor."

What other advice do I have?

I prefer physicals, but virtual systems work if they have the capacity that SevOne recommends. You can't undersize the systems. We don't do flow data here, although one group tested it in the past but they never purchased it. But it's nice to be able, within 10 days or less, to recertify a new device. That's one of the reasons we picked SevOne years ago. And we can modify those certifications at any time, ourselves, and that is something we do. Overall, for what we're using it for it's very solid.
MD
Sr, IT Engineer
Very difficult to customize reports but good scale-up and scale-down

What is our primary use case?

Our client who is using SevOne is a large client, it's big. We have to create multiple instances to support their infrastructure on the platform because they are very huge and are on-prem as well as on the cloud. Because Turbonomics is unlimited, they can do certain VM levels. I think you can do 11,000. You can collect 11,000 metrics from the VMs and you cannot go above that number. So let's say if you have 9,000 VMs, you can handle it, but sometimes you become busy and you're doing a lot of collections, or if you start collecting the processes' metrics, that is going to be a problem for you… more »

• "The feature that I have found most valuable is the scale-up and scale-down. The scale-up is an operation where the CPU boosts-up and then the memory will boost-up. That works awesomely."
  • "The customizations are very hard. The person doing it has to be very good at analytics and has to be very good in all languages"

What other advice do I have?

If you're asking for technical comments, then I can describe it in detail, but this is more general. For example, the IT operation can continue working the way it is, but they have to integrate SevOne into their environment. How do they want to do it? We don't know. It all depends on the different clients. I use a lot of tools, actually. Here are the things I can recommend about Turbonomics: Scale-up, scale-down. But again, for reporting purposes, sorry, no recommendation there. The customizations are very hard. The person doing it has to be very good at analytics and has to be very good in…
AP
SevOne Admin at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
MSP
Detects and quickly sends alerts related to an outage and can monitor practically any type of network device via SNMP

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution for monitoring the network for performance and availability. We have about 25 SevOne peers that are monitoring almost 8,000 devices. These devices include routers, switches, firewalls, etc.

• "Its ability to monitor practically any type of network device via SNMP is most valuable. This is the main functionality that we're using. If a network device exposes a metric, such as interface utilization, SevOne will monitor it for us."
  • "In terms of having a complete view of our network performance, I would rate it a nine out of 10. The reason for not giving it a 10 is that there is no packet capture associated with SevOne, but we do have other tools in place to do that."

What other advice do I have?

I would advise evaluating it thoroughly to make sure it is right for your network, and it meets your administrative needs. This should be a major or key element of your decision process. SevOne supports software-defined and streaming telemetry-based networks, but we are not using any of that. I've also not customized out-of-the-box reports. I've only created custom reports for various customer groups that are consuming the data. I would rate SevOne Network Data Platform a nine out of 10.
BS
Network monitoring engineer at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
You can pull data from multiple sources and that can be used for visualization and analysis purposes

What is our primary use case?

This is mainly used for network performance monitoring and availability alerting. Also, we are using SevOne to help with the troubleshooting of any issue. For example, whenever there is a service outage, we have a look into the graphing data. Mainly, we are using the SNMP data and NetFlow. Other than that, we are using the ICMP availability, which is just an availability check. These are the major areas that we have been pulling. It is a physical box installed in our data centers.

• "SevOne provides support for all universal connectors. They internally work with other data sources to get features implemented. We have an SD-WAN implementation and use other app data to monitor performance. If you pull that data into one centralized location, that is very useful for management."
  • "We previously have had discussions on some reporting enhancements. So, we raised a feature request, which was delivered from SevOne."

What other advice do I have?

It is a very simple, flexible tool with an easy graphical user interface. This is a great tool for having all the SNMP and ICMP reporting in one place. There are a lot of integrations for this tool. They offer good monitoring and reporting. I would rate SevOne as a nine out of 10.
See 1 more SevOne Network Data Platform Reviews
Download our free SevOne Network Data Platform Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.