BB
Sr. Network Engineer at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
We can get a new vendor certified and monitored in our system significantly faster than before

• "The most valuable feature is the NMS because that's the core of the system. Without the NMS, the other tools aren't that usable."
  • "The SMP and the xStats, which is for flat file integration, are both useful for integrating the various metrics that the device provides to monitor the performance of those systems."
  • "There are some tweaks and enhancements that I've already requested. One is to be able to make changes per device rather than as a global setting. That has to do with naming. It's minor."

What is our primary use case?

We have quite a few use cases for the SevOne NMS. It's mainly for performance management by our different network teams and we also do performance management of our external customers. That means we offer businesses and schools and others access to a Comcast device for their site to give them internet, or site-to-site connectivity. We also monitor our Comcast Digital Voice in SevOne NMS. For the external customers and the Comcast Digital Voice, we're inputting flat file data into SevOne so that we can get the metrics for that flat file data and provide it to those customers. We're doing SMP and what they call xStats.

With SevOne DI we allow our external customers to log in and get a report for their data. We give them a subset of the data that we collect so that they can see that we're staying within our SLAs.

I mainly focus on the thresholding capability of SevOne. We configure thresholds on the performance metrics and they send us alerts so that the NOC is alerted about the systems that are having issues. I maintain SevOne and I give the customers what they want. They're the ones who let me know if there's an issue. They're the ones monitoring the health of our network. We have various NOCs, depending on the device type, and they're the ones that will let me know if something needs to be modified or tweaked to enhance that performance management.

We have a SevOne NMS cluster that is also attached to a SevOne Data Insight cluster, and the SevOne NMS system is also sending out the SDB to a set of servers that we maintain for customers for rural data.

We're using the 300K which we've licensed to 200K and we're on version 5.7.22 of the NMS and 3.0 on the SDI.

How has it helped my organization?

The main benefit of using SevOne is the fact that we can pull in a new vendor rapidly. With the changing technologies, we can get a new vendor certified and monitored in our system faster than before. With our previous system, we had to wait for them to put it into the upgrade. It could have been months before we would actually monitor new equipment. Now, we can monitor within 10 days.

Also, with the xStats, we're able to monitor non-SNMP data from various vendors.

SevOne provides us with continuous analytics of our network and that gives us an idea of the health of our network, where our weaknesses are, and what needs to be fixed.

In most cases, SevOne enables us to detect network performance issues faster and before they impact end-users. We've had situations where new issues have come up and we have actually used that to create a new threshold to alert us the next time. But overall, it helps us with early detection.

When it comes to having a complete view of our network performance, I would rate it very highly. It's the key piece of equipment that we use for monitoring our performance.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the NMS because that's the core of the system. Without the NMS, the other tools aren't that usable.

The SMP and the xStats, which is for flat file integration, are both useful for integrating the various metrics that the device provides to monitor the performance of those systems.

It's also important that the solution’s collection abilities cover multiple vendors’ equipment because we have multiple vendors. For each device type, we typically have two vendors, minimum, so that we're not tied down to one vendor. That means we need to have similar monitoring capabilities on those various vendors, which SevOne is able to provide.

The solution’s out-of-the-box reports and workflows for automatically helping us understand what is normal and what is abnormal in our network is very important. That's the whole purpose for using this tool: to pick up anomalies before the customers call us up about them, whether they are internal or external customers.

What needs improvement?

There are some tweaks and enhancements that I've already requested. One is to be able to make changes per device rather than as a global setting. That has to do with naming. It's minor.

I've been using SevOne for close to 15 years.

It's very stable. We have only had a few minor issues and they were mostly hardware-related.

In terms of scalability, nothing has been able to beat it.

Currently, we have over 7 million objects monitored, and that's over 181,000 devices. We are still increasing. We're pulling in other customers who are using other tools into the SevOne. It's constantly expanding.

SevOne technical support is very good. They're always on hand. We actually have two resident engineers on site who help us on day-to-day issues. We also have help from the support and development groups for any anomalies they can't handle.

We used CA's eHealth but it wasn't very flexible. If you wanted a device certified, you had to wait for the next software release to get that certification. The vendor also wasn't very receptive to changes. It was hard to get them to adopt.

The initial setup was fairly straightforward. The system works off a master cluster, so it's easy to set up and easy to understand.

Our deployment took about a year. That was 15 years ago, but other implementations have taken a lot less time, moving forward. Our network was very complex so a lot of device certifications had to be done with SevOne, early on, to get what we needed out of it. But within the first couple months it was usable. It just took us a year to finally get us to where we wanted to be, with all the customizations.

Our initial implementation strategy was that we deployed SevOne and left the old system up and running at the same time. That way, we had a failover capability to go back to the old system, if needed.

We have hundreds of people in our company who work with SevOne. We have the NOCs that are monitoring the health of the network. We have the end-users that are monitoring their pieces, whether that would be an application server or a range of business. And then we have our commercial customers that are getting the utilization and health metrics of the services that we're providing to them. We also have salespeople who are monitoring it to make sure that their customers don't need to upgrade.

We used a SevOne resource in addition to our own team. SevOne's team was excellent. Every time we came up with something, they were really rapid to come up with a fix or with a method for us to keep going. They were totally onboard with our solution.

We've been able to get off of other platforms, resulting in a cost savings.

Also, the fact that we can monitor our customers' data performance and stay within our SLA means we don't have to send money back to them. If we don't meet our SLAs, we have to pay them back. SevOne provides us with a great cost savings there.

The pricing has been fair.

In addition to the standard licensing fees, we have the annual maintenance fee because we purchased the hardware from SevOne.

We looked at four or five other vendors and we had a bakeoff among them. The main difference between them and SevOne, at the time, was cost. SevOne could provide the same information and data at a much cheaper price.

What other advice do I have?

I prefer physicals, but virtual systems work if they have the capacity that SevOne recommends. You can't undersize the systems.

We don't do flow data here, although one group tested it in the past but they never purchased it. But it's nice to be able, within 10 days or less, to recertify a new device. That's one of the reasons we picked SevOne years ago. And we can modify those certifications at any time, ourselves, and that is something we do.

Overall, for what we're using it for it's very solid.

MD
Sr, IT Engineer
Very difficult to customize reports but good scale-up and scale-down

• "The feature that I have found most valuable is the scale-up and scale-down. The scale-up is an operation where the CPU boosts-up and then the memory will boost-up. That works awesomely."
  • "The customizations are very hard. The person doing it has to be very good at analytics and has to be very good in all languages"

What is our primary use case?

Our client who is using SevOne is a large client, it's big. We have to create multiple instances to support their infrastructure on the platform because they are very huge and are on-prem as well as on the cloud. Because Turbonomics is unlimited, they can do certain VM levels. I think you can do 11,000. You can collect 11,000 metrics from the VMs and you cannot go above that number. So let's say if you have 9,000 VMs, you can handle it, but sometimes you become busy and you're doing a lot of collections, or if you start collecting the processes' metrics, that is going to be a problem for you down the line. So we have about eight instances to support the platform on-prem and I think 11 or 12 on the cloud.

How has it helped my organization?

In terms of how SevOne improved the client's overall functioning, they reduced the cost analysis for the people. They are not good with the forecasting. They have their own capacity performance management teams that can now rely on this tool. The other benefit they are getting is that they don't have live support. If any issue comes up, like a performance issue, then the VMs are going to scale up automatically, and it is the same as in Azure. In Azure, the problem is that it is going up and down. It's a problem. When you have the SQL Server, there is the issue that we cannot do that with it.

Sometimes we have a lockup. If you have a lockup of the VM in Azure, the scale-up and down won't work. So the benefit you're getting is that we have a maintenance window, and in that maintenance window we tell everybody that we're going to scale-up or scale-down these VMs, any of these issues, and we have the maintenance time to do that. That's the benefit they're getting on that certain time. But it is not doing it automatically because in Azure there is always an issue with that. As for the VMware environment on-prem, you can do it. It does it automatically.

What is most valuable?

The feature that I have found most valuable is the scale-up and scale-down. The scale-up is an operation where the CPU boosts-up and then the memory will boost-up. That works awesomely. But the problem is when you do the case analysis, like a price analysis. Let's say you have the price. When you go to market, it picks up the cheapest rate or maybe coupons. If Azure sometimes give us a very great deal, then the Turbonomics doesn't kick in to evaluate that price. So that evaluation is always an issue that comes up. They cannot do that. They always have differences in the price. They never get those things right. That could be answered with no problem for the cloud.

What needs improvement?

In terms what could be improved, they need to integrate and get a better price. They can do cost analysis with Azure. They need to have a live cost analysis for the discounts, because if you have multiple thousands of VMs that you're doing, of course you're going to get a discount. Correct?

If you're only doing a few of them, you won't get a discount. That's the reason why they have to value the discount and coupons. The other con is that they need to be better with the accountability. In other words, the accounts or reports are not better than the others, compared with vRealize. The other thing is that you cannot write any kind of script in it to customize it to get other reports. So I'm shifting the gear into reports now.

There can be a problem of Microsoft versus Turbonomics. Because Microsoft won't allow the bigger clients to know what they're giving as a discount and they don't want Turbonomics to know what kind of discount I'm giving them. So there are pros and cons. Because these companies have a monopoly, they don't want the information of their biggest client to get out and say, "Okay, these are the coupons and these are the discounts I'm getting and let's see what Turbonomics can do."

In terms of stability, if the box is getting hot, is it having a performance issue?

It is a stable solution. They don't have to call anybody. If anybody is having any problem or performance issue, it's going to scale-up from a VMware point of view. But in Azure, sometimes if the VM needs more memory, more CPU, it cannot do that upgrade because of the lockouts. Then it's SevOne and there has to be a call out to the technical support team who comes from the bridge and starts checking the issue. That is a possibility. You can consider this tool a stable solution.

Scalability is great, amazing.

The technical support is pretty good. They are very helpful. You will have some folks who have a lot of knowledge and some who don't. So you always have this pro and con there.

The initial setup is a little bit complex and you have to first create the main database. After you create the database, make sure you start collecting. Then you have multiple collectors that start collecting the information and send it to the database. They are really technical and it's Linux based.

The setup takes about one or two days.

Usually, when you do an upgrade it takes eight hours.

In terms of ROI, when we implement SevOne, issues and calls come in and there's the reduced cost of not having a person look at it because it does it automatically. When it does it automatically, you have a timeframe if the issue doesn't resolve automatically, at which point you may have to report to a person, "Okay, this application or these VMs or whatever are having problems right now." Then you have to take a look at it and see what happened. Sometime you can clear the logs and do all the other basic techniques like the other tools do. You manually clear the log and then you look at these things. Or you can create a policy and then the extra policy will come into place. Or sometimes the time doesn't match right or your timestamps changes and you'll face these kinds of problems.

What other advice do I have?

If you're asking for technical comments, then I can describe it in detail, but this is more general. For example, the IT operation can continue working the way it is, but they have to integrate SevOne into their environment. How do they want to do it? We don't know. It all depends on the different clients.

I use a lot of tools, actually. Here are the things I can recommend about Turbonomics: Scale-up, scale-down. But again, for reporting purposes, sorry, no recommendation there. The customizations are very hard. The person doing it has to be very good at analytics and has to be very good in all languages, like C-Sharp, unless you want to use the Python tool. I don't know if the Python evokes the scripts in it. I think it does, but it's very, very hard. You need a developer to write the customized reports for whatever you're looking for. If a regular person were using Turbonomics, like admin folks, they wouldn't be able to do that, unless they are a programmer.

They have to make it better for reporting. That's the first thing. Also the discount, like I mentioned about the Azure discount. It would be good if they could just get the number right.

On a scale of one to ten, I am neutral because it is not too good and not too bad. I would give SevOne a five.

In order to make it a 10, they would have to get their staff members highly active and focused on the customer's issues, and just focused on the product, on saving money. On-prem, they need to focus more on the Azure side of the house and cloud. The need to improve their internal technical knowledge and expertise. They need to hire really top-notch folks in Turbonomics.

Hybrid Cloud

Microsoft Azure
Learn what your peers think about SevOne Network Data Platform. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,695 professionals have used our research since 2012.
EP
Network Engineer at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
The out-of-the-box reports help speed up its time to value but the new versions have had bugs

• "The network data collection has been very flexible for us. It's been thorough in areas that were lacking. They have a team that I've worked with to add other pieces to it. So if it's missing something out of the box, they work with me to add it. I was able to collect that data. It's not perfect, but it's pretty thorough."
  • "NMS has several areas for improvement. It should be more user-friendly inside of NMS for some of the functionality in there. It's been getting better the last version or two, but the there have been bugs in there whenever I've gone to new versions."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use cases are for network alerting and reporting.

How has it helped my organization?

The out-of-the-box reports helped speed up its time to value. It's very important to make the tool usable, so you can prove to management that money was spent wisely.

SevOne has improved my organization by taking us to a single pane of glass for alerting on the network reports. For NOC, they only have a single pane of glass they have to look at.

It can be very thorough and very complete if you buy all of the appropriate modules and you have enough licenses to cover all the gear on your network. Some of the niceness is the flexibility of the tool and what you can do, but some of the complexity is due to that flexibility. The tool can be very complex depending on what you want to do, but that complexity makes it flexible to see things in different ways.

It enables us to detect network performance issues faster and before they impact users. Looking at IP SLA metrics and seeing that something has exceeded the baseline before users actually call up and say that there's a problem.

What is most valuable?

I've found Data Insight to be the most valuable for mining the data that the tool collects.

Without data insights, it's really hard to mine the data out of the NMS tool. Data Insight makes it more flexible.

The network data collection has been very flexible for us. It's been thorough in areas that were lacking. They have a team that I've worked with to add other pieces to it. So if it's missing something out-of-the-box, they work with me to add it. I was able to collect that data. It's not perfect, but it's pretty thorough.

The ability to assess the comprehensiveness of the solution's collection network is important. I wish they had some things in there that they don't for us to sunset some of our homegrown tools, but it's not a showstopper.

Its collection abilities cover multiple vendors' equipment but that's lower on our priority list for our deployment. We mainly have one vendor for the majority of our environment but we do have some others, so it is nice having the ability to look at other vendors.

The out-of-the-box reports and workflows for automatically helping to understand what is normal and what is abnormal in our network are very poor if you only have NMS and that is the only portion of step one that you own. DI makes things a lot better.

DI actually lets you get to the data in a way that is easy to view without DI getting the data out of NMS. NMS is great at harvesting the data and storing the data, but it's terrible at giving managerial style views to see the data, as well as reporting is hard to mine the data in the reports. It's a very old-school feeling. DI puts a modern view on top of the tool, allowing you to get to the data in a cleaner fashion and faster data mining.

We use its ability to edit and customize out-of-the-box reports. It's been easy to edit, but I've run into some bugs. I'm focused solely on DI because NMS reporting is not very good. DI is a newer tool for them. I've run into several bugs that have slowed me down. It's easy to use other than I've run into the occasional bug that has caused problems.

I've given the firewall team reports that only look at their gear versus NOC is able to see all gear. I have done team-specific views.

It provides continuous analytics of our network. I find it helpful, and I believe other people on my team find it helpful to be able to see all of the stats in a single tool. They can see an alert and then they can see the stats for the gear that was associated with that alert. I think that is very helpful.

What needs improvement?

NMS has several areas for improvement. It should be more user-friendly inside of NMS for some of the functionality in there. It's been getting better the last version or two, but there have been bugs in there whenever I've gone to new versions.

There have been some features that were advertised that I would have that weren't actually there yet. They were kind of there, but even their tech support team didn't know how to use them because they were so new, and the documentation wasn't very thorough around those bleeding-edge features.

I have been using SevOne for two and a half to three years.

It is very stable.

Scalability has been good. It apparently has the ability to scale very broadly as long as you have the resources to deploy more instances of the tool, it is very nice on that front. The scalability is good.

We have around 30 users. Some of the users are in network operations and network engineering. Obviously, the network management team and some management use it to be able to get their visibility into how the network looks.

We have essentially two people managing the environment and they're both in the network management team. It eats up a fair amount of their time in order to really take advantage of what the tool can do.

It is used pretty extensively for the gear that we have deployed it on. We bought it for the monitoring. There are plans to expand, to include more of our network gear in the tool. I have no idea of the timeline, but I would say it's used pretty extensively. The gear that is modeled on there is only mounted on SevOne. We've taken off of all of our other monitoring to get down to a single pane of glass.

I would give their tech support very high marks. Tech support has been very helpful.

The initial setup was straightforward.

I don't know that we've ever finished the deployment. The tool is flexible so we're always trying new things. But getting it off the ground and running and alerting, I would say took about a month and a half to two months.

We deployed it in parallel to our existing monitoring tools and then took devices out of our existing monitoring tools as we proved that they were inside of SevOne.

We did not use an integrator for the deployment.

I have seen ROI.

Be careful of how the licensing works. From the administration side of things, I am a propeller head. I do not know anything that has a dollar sign in it. Those are numbers I do not know.

We looked at large, standard NMS tools as well as open-source options.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to plan exactly what you're trying to get before you do the deployment and do as much research as you can before you go through the week-long training session that they give you with the initial purchase. There was a week-long training that we got as part of the initial purchase, but the training came before we even had the tool onsite. So I was not able to ask questions intelligently.

With flexibility comes complexity, and the other is going to be management. See everything that SevOne can do, they are going to ask for a lot. So you need to get management understanding what the tool can do with what you have deployed right now. Don't promise them the world. Filter down what management's expectations are.

I would rate SevOne a seven out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
AP
SevOne Admin at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
MSP
Detects and quickly sends alerts related to an outage and can monitor practically any type of network device via SNMP

• "Its ability to monitor practically any type of network device via SNMP is most valuable. This is the main functionality that we're using. If a network device exposes a metric, such as interface utilization, SevOne will monitor it for us."
  • "In terms of having a complete view of our network performance, I would rate it a nine out of 10. The reason for not giving it a 10 is that there is no packet capture associated with SevOne, but we do have other tools in place to do that."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution for monitoring the network for performance and availability. We have about 25 SevOne peers that are monitoring almost 8,000 devices. These devices include routers, switches, firewalls, etc.

How has it helped my organization?

On any outage, SevOne is pretty quick to send an alert. We've got an operations center that consumes the alert and sends it to the device owners so that they can minimize the time of impact of that alert. Such outages happen at least once a month, and whenever there is a real outage, SevOne is the one to detect it.

The comprehensiveness of SevOne's collection of network performance and flow data is very good. For NetFlow, I would rate it a 10 out of 10 because it collects everything that NetFlow delivers. You can also customize the reports to show only what you'd like to see or what your customers would like to see. For network monitoring, I would rate it a nine out of 10 because you can collect all the information and slice and dice that information in whatever manner you feel necessary to consume that data. We've got an operations team that subscribes only to the alerts. So, we've got tier two and tier three people who are looking at reports, and they slice and dice those reports however they like.

Its collection abilities across multiple vendors' equipment are really good. If we don't have an SNMP OID for a particular vendor, the only thing that the architects at my company need to do is to supply us the SNMP OIDs and/or MIBs. We send these to SevOne, and they certify it. We can then install it in the SevOne system, and it'll start monitoring that equipment. Its collection abilities are important because we've got multiple vendors in the network, and each specialty, such as a firewall or a router, has different collection needs. We're able to meet these specific collection needs based on the device types.

For our operations, the dashboard is very important because that's how our customers are making day-to-day and long-term strategic decisions, for six months to a year, about their network. We're not using any reports for capacity planning as such, but this is an idea that is going to be put in place shortly.

It provides continuous analytics of the network, which helps our customers in making smarter decisions and ensuring that things are up and running.

In terms of the integration of network performance management data with our ITSM tool, we don't have a direct integration with ServiceNow. We have integrated SevOne with Netcool, and Netcool is integrated with ServiceNow. It is pretty easy to integrate. We've got people on our team who are responsible for Netcool, and if we want to define a new policy or alert, we show them what alert we're sending over, and they integrate it in a matter of a couple of hours.

What is most valuable?

Its ability to monitor practically any type of network device via SNMP is most valuable. This is the main functionality that we're using. If a network device exposes a metric, such as interface utilization, SevOne will monitor it for us.

The reporting is very good in SevOne. We have static thresholds that are defined by our architects. They give these static thresholds to us, and we implement the alerting policies based on those static thresholds. We also have the capability of doing base-lining or deviation from normal or mean, but we haven't implemented that in our network.

The out-of-the-box reports are of quality, and they would get you up to speed faster than having to build custom reports. I wasn't here when the reports were created, so I haven't, as such, used the out-of-the-box reports.

We are able to use SevOne's analytics, reports, and workflows in a single dashboard. Its dashboard is very easy to use and put together. It is also really easy to understand. If I had to give it a grade, I would give it an eight out of 10.

What needs improvement?

In terms of having a complete view of our network performance, I would rate it a nine out of 10. The reason for not giving it a 10 is that there is no packet capture associated with SevOne, but we do have other tools in place to do that.

In terms of stability, because of our move to VMs from physical appliances, some things have become a little unstable. It doesn't seem to be a SevOne issue, but we had to have a lot of calls with their technical support to figure out what's going on with it, but overall, it is pretty solid.

I have been using this solution for one year and two or three months.

Overall, it is pretty solid. We've made some changes to the SevOne infrastructure, and we moved to VMs from physical appliances. Because of this transition, some things have become a little unstable, but we're working on these issues. It doesn't seem to be a SevOne issue, but because of the change of infrastructure of SevOne, we have had to have a lot of calls with their technical support to figure out what's going on with it.

It is extremely scalable. We're managing almost 8,000 devices, and if we need to add 8,000 more devices, we just need to add a commensurate number of peers to handle that load. It is horizontally scalable, which is nice.

They're readily available, and they work with us in a very friendly way. They are very willing to help us. Some support desks, especially in performance monitoring, push you to solve your own problem, whereas SevOne's support is the exact opposite. Everyone I've worked with has been helpful. I would give them an A.

I think they used HP OpenView. I have no idea about the reasons for switching.

I was not involved in its initial setup. For its maintenance, we've got two people in the US and two people in the Philippines who help us. They do network monitoring. The two people in the Philippines work part-time on it because they also support other tools. So, we have three people in total for 8,000 devices.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise evaluating it thoroughly to make sure it is right for your network, and it meets your administrative needs. This should be a major or key element of your decision process.

SevOne supports software-defined and streaming telemetry-based networks, but we are not using any of that. I've also not customized out-of-the-box reports. I've only created custom reports for various customer groups that are consuming the data.

I would rate SevOne Network Data Platform a nine out of 10.

BS
Network monitoring engineer at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
You can pull data from multiple sources and that can be used for visualization and analysis purposes

• "SevOne provides support for all universal connectors. They internally work with other data sources to get features implemented. We have an SD-WAN implementation and use other app data to monitor performance. If you pull that data into one centralized location, that is very useful for management."
  • "We previously have had discussions on some reporting enhancements. So, we raised a feature request, which was delivered from SevOne."

What is our primary use case?

This is mainly used for network performance monitoring and availability alerting. Also, we are using SevOne to help with the troubleshooting of any issue. For example, whenever there is a service outage, we have a look into the graphing data. Mainly, we are using the SNMP data and NetFlow. Other than that, we are using the ICMP availability, which is just an availability check. These are the major areas that we have been pulling.

It is a physical box installed in our data centers.

How has it helped my organization?

We are not building the reports. We just give the reports some basic things. It's kind of self-service for the engineers. They have access to the tool and build their own reports based on their requirements. So, they explore whatever is available out-of-the-box, like the performance report, topology, or any other kinds of alerting reports. Nowadays, they have started concentrating more on Data Insight.

Whenever there is an outage, the first thing they will do is come into SevOne and do security data analysis. They will then contact the next level (the support groups) for troubleshooting. We also get a deep dive into which host is consuming more data and utilizing what protocols. These are all NetFlow, so it is all pretty helpful. It's helping with the day-to-day operations. We have a separate team who consumes the data for the operational analysis. Whenever they do root cause analysis, they look into the data.

SevOne offers multiple integrations. They also have their own collectors and have business partnerships with other enterprise-owned companies, like NetApp. They have efficient integration which comes with the existing support, and we have been working with SevOne to implement it.

Sometimes, there are multiple issues outside of our network, but we have visibility into that kind of data.

What is most valuable?

It is pretty much a tool which provides all the data sources. You can integrate with multiple other platforms, like SD-WAN. They also do integration and offer the app data. Therefore, you can pull data from many other sources that can be used for visualization and analysis purposes. Also, they have Data Insight, which calls the SevOne API and gets the data in real-time. This is an additional model that gives a direct view into the metrics and imports critical KPIs.

We have a dedicated SevOne appliance for the data flow. The overall comprehensiveness of the data is good. There are no false statuses. Whatever it reports, that pretty much matches the actual device performance.

SevOne provides support for all universal connectors. They internally work with other data sources to get features implemented. We have an SD-WAN implementation and use other app data to monitor performance. If you pull that data into one centralized location, that is very useful for management.

The solution supports software-defined networks. This is required in terms of analyzing any sort of integration or performance issues, which are all very critical metrics.

The out-of-the-box reports help out and have a good design, which provide us with more value. We can import/export them. You can save a report based on your requirements. You can build some templates, and using those templates, you can then build multiple reports. So, their template option is really helping us out a lot. We use the reports out-of-the-box most of the time. We are not customizing them as of now.

The dashboard is all based on the object indicator and different devices. They have a hierarchy where users create a report and select the required indicators to pull out some data. It is all pretty straightforward and flexible.

We have an integration with ITSM event management, ticket creation, and alerting. It provides good options in terms of REST API and SOAP API. You can follow the trap to the destination whenever there is an alleged violation. They have multiple options for integrating with any other ticketing tool as well as event mapping tools.

What needs improvement?

I have been in this domain for almost 10 years. When it comes to SevOne, I started using it two years ago.

The stability is 100%. It is very stable.

All the stakeholders in the organization are using it.

We have two administrators for the solution who are responsible for the application.

The technical support is great. They are very quick if we get stuck and they need to provide resolution. They are experienced with the product.

We have regular calls with the sales and technical teams.

When I joined, I started using SevOne and it was already implemented. We have done some version upgrades and configurations. I am just managing it because it was already running on-premises.

SevOne offers multiple integrations. They also have their own collectors and have business partnerships with other enterprise-owned companies, like NetApp. They have efficient integration which comes with the existing support, and we have been working with SevOne to implement it.

SevOne has excellent support. They are pretty much available whenever there is an update. That is not run by us. They also work with us to complete any planned upgrades.

Before the upgrade, we have a precheck and evaluation call so we can plan the upgrade. This is based on the SevOne advisory for the version update. The upgrade is seamless, not complex.

We have definitely seen ROI. We are adding more value. This is the primary tool used, in terms of support. So, it does a really good job in terms of getting the data and our current use cases. It keeps us stabilized as well as up and running.

When comparing it with other products, those have multiple installations, e.g., for NetFlow, you need to have a different model, but also you need to have a different application. SevOne is the one tool which provides multiple features. The servers or databases have different plugins. It can be used to monitor various components of the network, applications, etc.

What other advice do I have?

It is a very simple, flexible tool with an easy graphical user interface. This is a great tool for having all the SNMP and ICMP reporting in one place. There are a lot of integrations for this tool.

They offer good monitoring and reporting.

I would rate SevOne as a nine out of 10.

Ernesto Becerra T
Analyst of Budgets and Financial and Administrative Information at Alestra
MSP
A stable network and infrastructure management platform

• "It's a great solution for highlighting and discovering useful information regarding our network's elements."
  • "Some similar solutions offer end-to-end visibility."

What is our primary use case?

We use SevOne to display all the information from Cisco IP SLA regarding the delay, voice quality, etc.

What is most valuable?

It's a great solution for highlighting and discovering useful information regarding our network's elements.  There is a cheaper solution available,  but in general, SevOne is a good solution for analyzing network information. It's also very easy to use.

What needs improvement?

As I mentioned before, there are cheaper solutions available. Earlier, our management team only managed ICMP, like IP SLA. That's why, at that point in time, we decide to use Cisco IP SLA.

Well, I don't know if it's in development at SevOne, but some similar solutions offer end-to-end visibility, both regarding the server and also the network elements.

Other solutions also include the server and some additional layers, like an operating system or database, and in some cases, the application, too; their network elements are designed for management-level.

I don't know if SevOne plans on incorporating these features into their next release, but they should.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give SevOne a rating of nine.

I have been using SevOne since 2016.

SevOne provides us with great stability in the production environment. It's also very scalable, too.

From my personal experience, the support has been good.

Initially, we wanted a specif look and feel regarding our SevOne solution. That took some extra time, but that's to be expected. In general, we got some useful information right out of the box with SevOne. Overall, it's easy to set up.

Download our free SevOne Network Data Platform Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.