SevOne Network Data Platform OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

SevOne Network Data Platform is the #3 ranked solution in our list of top Server Monitoring tools. It is most often compared to Zabbix: SevOne Network Data Platform vs Zabbix

What is SevOne Network Data Platform?

SevOne provides modern monitoring and analytics solutions that organizations need to monitor their networks today, tomorrow and beyond. SevOne simplifies the extraction and enrichment of metric, flow, and streaming telemetry data across multi-vendor networks enabling enterprises, carriers and managed services providers to ensure optimal network operations and performance.

SevOne provides SaaS, public cloud and on-prem offerings, including several pre-built solutions specifically designed to solve SD-WAN, SDN, NFV and enterprise Wi-Fi challenges. SevOne helps customers compete and win in the connected world by increasing their business agility and velocity of delivering new applications and services. SevOne is privately held and is headquartered in Boston, Mass. Follow SevOne on Twitter at @SevOneInc.

SevOne Network Data Platform is also known as SevOne.

SevOne Network Data Platform Buyer's Guide

Download the SevOne Network Data Platform Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

SevOne Network Data Platform Customers

Adobe, Aflac, BT, Comcast, eBay, EA, Go Daddy, Liberty Global, Telstra, TMobile, Spark, Starhub, SKY, UBS

SevOne Network Data Platform Video

Archived SevOne Network Data Platform Reviews (more than two years old)

it_user489165
Tests and Quality Assurance Manager with 1,001-5,000 employees

• "Flexible architecture: You can extend the system and its capacity by attaching another cluster pair."
  • "SevOne should work with the graphs legend functionality."

What is most valuable?

• Flexible architecture: You can extend the system and its capacity by attaching another cluster pair.
  • Very intuitive management interface: Adding and discovering new devices is a very simple process.
  • Very useful and flexible end-user GUI interface: Reports or statistics can be prepared by a person who has no knowledge of performance monitoring.
  • Automatic reporting: You can very quickly prepare a report to be periodically sent to recipients.
  • Very fast reporting engine: Even very complex reports are generated in seconds.
  • Many predefined Top-N reports are available out-of-the-box.
  • Grouping capability: Each device can be assigned to many groups, which means you can report any interesting network factors according to the multiple group allocation.
  • Baseline: The functionality that allow us to monitor a particular factor (like throughput or CPU load) based on some historical data (the value of the factor at similar period of day should be more or less the same)
  • Virtualization of network elements: Many physical interfaces that exist on different physical devices can be aggregated as a single logical device with many logical interfaces. This is very useful functionality for network operators.
  • Trend analysis: The system predicts the value of the traffic in the future based on existing behavior.

How has it helped my organization?

We provide customer internet access services and the 95th percentile is our target. Every month, we prepare a detailed report per customer that shows the current percentile value (does it exceed 95 or not), and we have to prepare detailed traffic reports that show the real traffic graph in the last month.

All of this was done manually. With SevOne, this process is fully automated and the reports can be sent directly to business customers (after a simple verification performed by another colleague).

What needs improvement?

Our version is quite old. In version 5.3.3.0, we see a lot of room for possible improvement. However, from SevOne support, we received confirmation that most of those expectations are met in version 5.4.x or higher.

Therefore, we have to think about upgrading to the later version as soon as possible.

SevOne should work with the graphs legend functionality. Now, you are able to put a part of the graph description as a customer description, but most of the original description stays unchanged. This means that sometimes the legend under the graph is unreadable (indicator names are sometimes not humanly readable). It would be nice to have a solution similar to the one in Cacti, where you can replace (or rather overwrite) an existing description with your own string.

It has now been almost one and a half years.

Currently, we are using version 5.3.3.0, but we are now just upgrading the system to version 5.3.10 due to several minor issues.

Not, over the last one and a half years.

Yes, but this was caused by special and very uncommon expectations from our side.

Together with SevOne, we implemented the solution which allows us to automatically add any new network device that is added to our external (independent from SevOne) database.

We use the SevOne API to add those devices and interfaces to SevOne. In case of devices with a huge number of interfaces, more than 100, SevOne was not able to load them into its own database.

SevOne recommended an upgrade to a later version to resolve this limitation.

This is the part I am happiest about. Their response is great.

Of course, I sometimes have to wait a week or two, but mostly that is because of the nature of the problem and its complexity.

Most problems are resolved within two to three days.

In our case, the SevOne platform was implemented by a third-party integrator. So, at the beginning, our contact with SevOne was very limited.

Now, for simple or medium issues, we contact SevOne directly through the SevOne support webpage because it speeds up the problem solution time. However, for more complex issues, we still contact the third-party integrator.

We were using Cacti and Zabbix (both open source solutions). We decided to switch mainly because there were some business expectations to have a platform that would prepare reports we can show to business customers.

On the other hand, we would like to have a tool ready to prepare reports on demand and by the non-technical staff.

In a standard solution, the instalation is very simple. In our case, we decided to integrate SevOne with an external database (an external application). All network devices devoted to that application should be automatically inserted into SevOne database.

The integration interface was the part of the solution that was performed by a third-party integrator in cooperation with SevOne.

From the operator’s point of view, it is quite painful to have to remember that every device costs us some cash if added to SevOne (CAPEX and, later, yearly OPEX).

Prices per license are not huge, but they exist.

It is very visible when we connect a big number of network devices (due to some new company acquisition). At once, we have to connect 100s of network elements, and it is hard to find extra money for that.

On the other hand, the existing model is very flexible from a financial point of view (pay-as-you-grow).

Yes, but there was a tender, and I am not authorized to provide such information.

I can only say that there were a few big players in the area of performance monitoring system vendors.

What other advice do I have?

• The grouping capability is very simple and a very important issue in terms of system reporting capability. You should do your homework carefully so you will have a flexible reporting tool in the future.
  • Enabling baseline functionality: We decided not to enable it at the beginning and very quickly decided to change our minds. It is a very useful mechanism for data comparison (today’s traffic to the week’s traffic, to weeks before at the same time, and so on).
  • Report preparation: It depends on the agreement, but SevOne is ready to prepare some predefined report at initial integration. Let them do this to save you time, but it requires some time to think about your expectations.
  • In SevOne, you pay mainly per object. Do not enable all object pooling by default. In a case with 10,000 devices, if you decide not to pool ICMP (not to ping devices to check availability), you can save 10,000 objects, and save real money. (We did so and we do not regret that decision, but it depends on the particular expectations of the company implementing the product.)
  • The same as disabling ICMP pooling, you can decide to disable memory and CPU monitoring (if it is not necessary). Money that again stays in your pocket.

The platform is as flexible as an open source system can be. It has a very useful end user GUI interface, which means working with the system is very easy and intuitive.

Adrian Moran
Sr Service Desk Agent Tier I, II at a tech consulting company with 10,001+ employees
Reports and graphics help to inform the client about traffic though group creation needs improvement

• "With this tool it is interesting to show the info to the client and explain where the traffic is."
  • "The method of searching for SIP and the way to create the groups."

What is most valuable?

The reports and the graphics. With this tool it is interesting to show the info to the client and explain where the traffic is.

How has it helped my organization?

I can't, I arrived in the last days of the project, just to make reports.

What needs improvement?

The method of searching for SIP and the way to create the groups.

Four months.

Eight out of 10.

I didn’t do the switch, the company had the product when I arrived.

I didn’t do the setup.

I can´t answer that.

I didn’t choose the product but I had used others.

What other advice do I have?

Although it is a very good monitoring tool, it can be confusing when you try to add devices and they don’t appear correctly. Then you need to check SID on the SevOne database. There it does not display when the error pops up.

Learn what your peers think about SevOne Network Data Platform. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
540,984 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user377565
Senior Network Capacity Planner with 10,001+ employees
MSP

• "It's given us the ability to create various real-time network performance reports and distribute them to any colleague who can access these reports immediately."
  • "Software upgrades can be tricky is not easy."

What is most valuable?

It's given us the ability to create various real-time network performance reports and distribute them to any colleague who can access these reports immediately. They can access them any time without needing their own user account to the system.

How has it helped my organization?

• SevOne threshold monitoring alerts help to improve our network monitoring.
  • Procedures in troubleshooting were built on predefined SevOne reports.

What needs improvement?

Single device-based baseline monitoring works well in SevOne, but sometimes device independent base-lining in redundant network environments. Software upgrades can be tricky is not easy.

I've used it for five years.

The software upgrades can be tricky.

The appliances run quite stable.

Scalability is just a matter of adding new appliances to the cluster if needed.

They have good customer service.

Technical support is very professional and fast in developing solutions.

We chose it because it has a fast working reporting engine and because of the scalability of the solution.

The set-up of the basic monitoring is straightforward, but customizing for special needs, such as calculation pollers, takes some effort.

The implementation was performed by a vendor team together with an internal one. The vendor had a high-level of expertise.

It's provided us with improvements in network monitoring and troubleshooting as well as advanced reporting solutions payback.

The SevOne tool was convincing from the beginning, and after testing it there was no need to test anything else.

What other advice do I have?

By default the tool provides a lot, you need to focus on your needs, adding something else later is usually no problem.

it_user722265
Monitoring Administrator at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Lacks log/URL monitoring and reports are limited to 1,000 servers though it's relatively inexpensive

• "The automation feature is good because if your CMDB is OK and it is already in sync, then the automation part is good to go."
  • "There is no service mode setup in this monitoring tool if you want to snooze alerts for any specific amount of time, to account for any activity change or major incident."

How has it helped my organization?

This is a new tool for our company. This project is the first one on which we're using this tool.

What is most valuable?

It is inexpensive compared to other monitoring tools and it provides agentless monitoring, where we don't need any kind of installation of servers. SevOne has a feature which is a policy browser. We just assign the policy and it will automatically apply it to all the servers, and it will create the thresholds as well for each and every server.

The automation feature is good because if your CMDB is OK and it is already in sync, then the automation part is good to go. Auto-closure of the ticketed issue is resolved and ticket will auto-close, which is very helpful.

What needs improvement?

There is no service mode setup in this monitoring tool if you want to snooze alerts for any specific amount of time, to account for any activity change or major incident. That is one of the drawbacks.

We have also faced some issues regarding SNMP traps.

Another difficulty is reporting. There is a limitation, per report, of 1,000 servers. Consequently, if your environment has 5,000 or 10,000 servers, you have to create separate reports, and each report will have 1,000 servers. That requires us to compromise with customers, that each report will only show 1,000 servers.

SNMP can't page exact disk utilization. So consider Unix servers. Unix servers' utilization is around 95%, and their reserve space is 5%. So SNMP will not page that extra 5%. it will only page the rest of the 90%. So from the OS end, it will see 95% usage, but in your tool you will see 90% usage because SNMP doesn't page that 5% of reserved space. That is one of the drawbacks that is not tool based, that would be considered as SNMP.

One other thing. Log monitoring is not possible from SevOne and that's why we are still using another monitoring tool. URL monitoring is also not possible.

No. There is high availability. We haven't had any issue like appliances going down or the server going down.

The alerts are also properly generating, as per the policies. So if you correctly create the devices and correctly ID the devices in your tool, then I think you will get proper results with this monitoring tool.

No problems here. Regarding reports and alerts, everything is good in this tool. The only thing we faced is SNMP traps, like snoozing the servers for a specific time, which is a maintenance mode issue.

Previously we had two other CA tools. But we wanted to do everything, like automation and all types of URL monitoring, in one tool. So that's why we considered implementing this tool in our environment. Only later did we come to realize that not everything is possible through SevOne.

Setup was simple. It was not that complex because one server, one appliance would be the performance server and another would be a high availability server. The selection part was smooth.

But creating a policy, thinking with LDAP, that part takes some time, but in a good way.

This was a management issue. I, being on the technical side, was not involved in this.

What other advice do I have?

If you want one tool for everything this should not be considered. For example, if you want to monitor logs, if you want to monitor URLs, that is not possible from SevOne.

If you only monitor networks, if you want to monitor appliances, you can go with this application. It's good to go with SevOne because the creation of thresholds, of policies, the grouping of servers, that is easy.

One other thing. This is mainly a web console, it's not like any appliance application that you have to go into some server and open an application. That kind of thing is not there.

it_user517890
Manager at a tech services company
Scalable And Very Easy To Setup The First Installation

• "Scalability. I have never had to worry about how to handle really big environments."
  • "The GUI: both the dashboard/user view and the admin tool."

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The GUI: both the dashboard/user view and the admin tool.

More than five years.

No, very stable.

There are some differences between the Bulgarian and the American support teams.

Not applicable.

Very easy to setup the first installation. It is easy and fast to achieve the basic level.

Choose a SevOne partner who can provide SevOne as a service and can deliver professional services and maintenance.

I evaluated from a reseller perspective to find the best product on the market at that time: CA eHealth, Nagios, OP5, InfoVista, etc.

What other advice do I have?

To get the best value, find a good partner to work with who has experience from more than one product vendor. Then, you can get a second opinion and comparisons.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Certified SevOne partner, reseller, and expert.
Christian Amador
Consulting System Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It Makes Monitoring Of The Network Very Customizable

What is most valuable?

The monitoring of the network is very customizable. That is its unique feature.

How has it helped my organization?

One example is in the way you have information of the status of each component of each device in your network.

What needs improvement?

User-friendly, multi-tenancy.

One year.

Yes, but it is according licensing.

Very bad. The support it is a kind of blog where you leave your question or problem, then they try to resolve it as soon as possible.

SolarWinds, because we tried…

What is most valuable?

The monitoring of the network is very customizable. That is its unique feature.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

User-friendly, multi-tenancy.

One year.

Yes, but it is according licensing.

SolarWinds, because we tried for a new and cheaper solution.

Complex for the MIBs.

Have a bank of licenses, because it is about the number of objects (RAM, ports, CPU, etc.).

Yes, NetIQ and SolarWinds.

What other advice do I have?

Not all solutions fit all problems. Also, if you are an MSP, SevOne can’t be federated for clients.

it_user489159
Lead Data Network Engineer at a comms service provider with 5,001-10,000 employees
Instant graphs, high frequency polling and the ability to create reports on the fly are the most valuable features we currently use.

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

We are able to see or alert on issues a lot faster.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to be able to stitch together multiple network elements or services for more of an end-to-end view of network performance.

I have been using this solution for 1.5 years.

I have not encountered any issues with stability.

I have not encountered any issues with scalability.

I would give it a 7.5/10. …

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

We are able to see or alert on issues a lot faster.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for 1.5 years.

I have not encountered any issues with stability.

I have not encountered any issues with scalability.

I would give it a 7.5/10.

I previously used a different solution, but the report rendering was extremely slow.

Licensing costs can add up quickly, so know what you need to monitor and what you don’t.

Senior Solution Architect at a media company with 10,001+ employees
I like the UI, scalability and quick response on reports.

What is most valuable?

• Quick response on reports
  • User interface
  • Scalability of the monitoring
  • Reliability

How has it helped my organization?

Given the ease of access to the information in a few clicks, the user base of the product has increased tremendously. As the word of mouth spread, the increased reachability of this for the performance reporting space within our organisation increased.

What needs improvement?

Keeping up to date with market trends, new vendors and with network vendors’ product support.

More than three years.

Our installation is a very large scale one. We initially had issues getting the product to accommodate the number of network devices to monitor. After a set of fine tune steps, we did not need to turn this part back on.

We are one of SevOne's large appliance base customers, and we have not had any issues so far.

8/10

The predecessor was not up to the race! Over the years of it use, it failed to meet the expectance organically. Hence the need to look for a product with better returns in many aspects.

Straightforward I must say… Just get the appliance set up as a vanilla installation in the management systems. It’s sort of plug-and-play. It covered 75% of the network devices and servers farms out of box from day one.

SevOne has a decent pricing model, so far, for production & solutions on the shelf. Given the “object” licensing concept, it simplifies the pricing model in many ways, and gives flexibility for customer to decide.

Thoroughly evaluate what needs to be monitored from SevOne, you’ll look at it as a different ball game for the cost of what needs to be monitored.

Solarwinds – Orion, Nimsoft, IBM TNPM, Netcracker, HP Performance Insight, OPNET Net One, Previsor, TBD Fusion (Vital Suite), Watch3Net, ScienceLogic, Cisco – Prime, Network Instrument – Observer, ZenPM - SysMech.

What other advice do I have?

Clearly outline what needs to be monitored from SevOne and what you aim for your organization. I don’t recommend monitoring everything.

Please engage the SevOne SME’s. It will make the implementation easier in many aspects.

Application and Monitoring Tools Manager at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
It allows us to alert the correct application owners and troubleshoot problems quicker.

What is most valuable?

• Alerting
  • Graphing

How has it helped my organization?

We are able to alert the correct application owners, as well as troubleshoot problems quicker, leading to less downtime.

What needs improvement?

• Customization of fields
  • The UI is a little dated, but it doesn’t cause any features to fall short of what they need to do.

I have been using it for 1.5 years.

I have not encountered any stability issues.

I have not encountered any scalability issues.

Technical support is 10/10; responses to questions are within 20 minutes and the longest time to be resolved was three days.

I previously used BMC BPPM (ProactiveNet). SevOne was already being used by the network group. Price was a major player in the decision to switch.

The product was set up and installed by SevOne technicians. So, initial setup was very straightforward.

SevOne is usually spot-on with their scaling of an environment. Be sure that you tell them exactly what you want to monitor. Objects can grow quickly with each additional service you wish to monitor.

Before choosing SevOne, we evaluated SolarWinds, TrueSight, and ScienceLogic.

What other advice do I have?

As with anything, if you want this to succeed, have a plan and focus; the product has many great features, so don’t get distracted. It’s easy to want to show everyone what you can do with the product. We focused on basic monitoring first and since then expanded to the other offerings of the product.

it_user489171
Lead Engineer at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Allows us to generate graphs and reports quickly.

What is most valuable?

Very quick graph generation.

How has it helped my organization?

Previously, we used a customized MRTG solution. Graph generation was painfully slow. With SevOne, we are able to generate graphs and reports quickly.

What needs improvement?

Features like SMS support and a faster way to create objects in calculation editor would be good.

1+ year.

No issues.

No problems.

Very good.

SevOne has much faster performance than our previous solution.

Initial setup is…

What is most valuable?

Very quick graph generation.

1+ year.

No issues.

No problems.

Very good.

SevOne has much faster performance than our previous solution.

Initial setup is straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

For performance monitoring, give SevOne a shot.

it_user489120
Solution Architect at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
MSP
It distinguishes network issues from application issues based on flow analysis.

What is most valuable?

• Near real-time raw data availability for two years for analysis
  • Scalability of architecture
  • Ease of build
  • Installation of virtual appliances

How has it helped my organization?

It diagnoses and separates network issues from application issues based on flow analysis.

What needs improvement?

This is my favorite part of a review, so I am providing many ways to improve the product:

• Application session tracking
  • Improve virtual appliance scalability
  • Dashboard and report delivery
  • Integration with service management (ServiceNow, Remedy) should be an out-of-the-box API

In my current organization, SevOne is fairly new. It is being built up to be used in the production environment. But as an architect, I have used this product at various mobile telcos.

Excellent

I previously used CA and HP solutions. The main reason for switching was the latency in data collection and presentation. Also, the level of customisation required to change the reports resulted in a high capex cost to organization, each time the customer requested any change.

Initial setup was very smooth; we used a virtual appliance.

This product needs a lot of handholding and close collaboration with network design resources, in terms of choosing the appliance and the number of licenses. Otherwise, SevOne may look like expensive, which it is not.

It was chosen over CA eHealth.

What other advice do I have?

It is a very good product, easy to stand up, and a good tool for network engineers.

it_user343386
Sr. Software Engr. at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
It provides basic network monitoring, reporting, including performance metrics and third-party data.

Valuable Features

It has several features, but the ones most valuable to us are--

• Basic Network monitoring;
  • Reporting (performance metrics, third-party data, status maps, device configuration, etc.);
  • Scalability (monitor devices and metrics, and maintain speed); and
  • It's Linux-based.

Improvements to My Organization

Delegate some of the networking monitoring work to SevOne.

The reporting capabilities provided important metrics and data that helped in the oversight of our system, network, and overall IT infrastructure, both in terms of applications and hardware.

Room for Improvement

It needs a platform to add portals. Some of the low-level features and how they work could use some improvements.

A cause-and-effect kind of pattern would be helpful.

There have been no issues deploying it.

It's been stable. We've had no issues with instability.

We've had no issues scaling it for our needs.

Their technical support is really top notch. We've had several instances when our trouble tickets have been responded to quickly and with sufficient fixes.

The initial setup was straightforward. It was simple and quite intuitive.

Other Advice

Make sure you have good, clear requirements for what you want SevOne to do. If you do, then it will do the job very well. If not, you should consider something else.

Network Management Development and Support at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
We like the ability of the product to integrate into other vendor management platforms to allow the polling and alerting streams to be maintained.

What is most valuable?

There are several valuable feature, but the ones most useful for us are:

• Capacity monitoring/reporting and graphing
  • Netflow stats gathering
  • Infrastructure availability monitoring

How has it helped my organization?

It's given us the ability to accommodate our company's entire global network infrastructure (routers, switches, load balancers, firewalls, etc.) and provide historical trending analytics for interfaces and network traffic and general production graphing and reporting over a chosen time period.

The graphing function can be tailored for all levels of management reporting.

Also, the ability of the product to integrate into other vendor management platforms to allow the polling and alerting streams to be maintained.

What needs improvement?

The product is perpetually evolving with a number of complimentary products in the pipeline. However, the basis of the product remains stable and any improvements are regarded as ‘enhancements’ and based upon industry market research at a given time and the facility to provide enhancement requests from individual customers.

The initial setup must be planned well to fit your environment.

I've used it for four years as a mainstream strategic management tool. In total, seven years.

The deployment is reasonably straightforward and documentation is good.

Only a few minor issues which were resolved by SevOne support.

One of the key benefits of the product is its ability to scale. There were no issues with regards to scalability. You can add more licenses or more SevOne appliances into your cluster as needed.

Customer service is excellent. This can be provided via a SevOne TAM (Technical Account Manager) program if the size of the SevOne cluster/estate warrants it.

Technical support is excellent.

Tivoli ITNM for availability monitoring - Too complicated/over engineered and too much of a support overhead to justify remaining with it.

Tivoli NetView for capacity monitoring - An out-of-support legacy tool which had limitations for what our company wanted to do with respect to reporting.

The initial setup was straightforward. Because initial solution design is very important, planning the initial setup with respect to you own environment is key. Ensure that all required IP connectivity and product specific UDP/TCP ports are open and available.

The implementation was done via both vendor and in-house teams. The vendor team’s expertise was excellent.

Our ROI is excellent. The product captures production issues and streams events to service teams who monitor our infrastructure. The product also provides pre-emptive production reporting so that any potential issues can be caught before causing a potential outage.

The licensing is based upon a network element of a device. An element is a single SNMP entity. The product can be tailored to manage to the number of elements that are managed on a device. So start off by identifying what elements are required to be managed and base your licensing on that, allowing room for future growth.

We scoped upgrading our existing product suite.

What other advice do I have?

Evaluate and research to ensure your requirements are met.

it_user386748
Manager - Tools and Automation at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
MSP
​The most valuable feature for us is its flexibility to handle different systems and different functions. We use it for networking, service systems, PDU's, and anything that's available for SO&P.

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

We had multiple systems when I first got here. We use SevOne to stabilize our system and standardize our operations around it. It's simple enough for me to hire administrative-level employees who can function in a capable manner. And I save money, too, because I can hire less-expensive employees who don't need to have high levels of education and a lot of training.

We've also been able to move away from having a dozen systems, databases and collections station. I've got a distributed architecture now based on an appliance. I also have less things to have to patch if there's an issue.

What needs improvement?

The way they handle their data migration while upgrading the system needs to be simplified and standardized. I don't want to have to bring out professional services to help me when I upgrade to a new server. Every upgrade we've done -- and we've done them all -- have been highly disruptive and extraordinarily difficult. Upgrades of new systems should not be this complex. I have 125 appliances in my environment. The migration really needs to be performed in the most non-disruptive manner as possible. I can't afford anything less.

I've also found a horrible flaw in the migration process where the database is now using redundant disks. The operating system is not, so if I lose my operating system disk, I lose my system. That's a significant weakness because they basically rate controllers. Everything is rated a 5 except for the OS disk.

I'm not sure why this is the case. They have improved their reporting capabilities significantly over the years. I would like to see them continue, even to the point of maybe introducing a standalone reporting server. Either that or allow me to extract data into a data warehouse so that I can get more extensive reporting functions.

We're having that issue now where I am trying to extract data, so instead of keeping years' worth of data on the system, I keep three months of live data and then move the data offsite. It's been very difficult in the way they store data. It's inconsistent with the way other vendors do it, so it's been difficult.

We've used it since 2008, so about 8 years now.

We've had a few issues pop up here and there, but generally it's been a stable product. My biggest complaint now is that I've got 70 systems I have to upgrade with no simple way to do it. I'll have to get professional services involved, and that's going to be expensive.

Technical support is very knowledgable. There are some really very bright people there. I think, though, that some of their designs have restricted their ability to provide a flexibly response. That could be argued either way, good or bad. They are typically very reactive to issues as they are discovered and we've found ways to resolve most issues as they come up.

We had an aging infrastructure and we were looking for alternatives. Other products required DBA's, administrators, and developers. However, SevOne packaged everything together in a simple enough manner so that I could maintain a workforce and which was capable of operating the system without building and maintaining the entire infrastructure.

We have an ROI as our licensing price point is very reasonable. We're roughly five times the size we were when we first started using this product.

SaaS Engineer - IBM Cloud at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
MSP
The features we are seeing the greatest benefit from are the enhanced reporting, net-flow data collection, and the data retention.

Valuable Features

Improvements to My Organization

The tool has given a great visibility of what is going on our network and has helped to troubleshoot network-related issues quickly and accurately.

Room for Improvement

We use very few capabilities of this product, and from what we use I am very happy with in regards to what the tool offers.

But keep in mind that if you're using the the PLA version of SevOne, the hardware support runs out in five years, so if something were to happen to the hardware after this period, it would not be covered.

Use of Solution

I've been using it for over two years, and the company for over five.

There were no issues with the deployment.

There were no issues with the stability.

There were no issues with the scalability.

Customer service is very good.

Technical support is very good.

I did not set up the system as it was done years ago and I just maintain it.

Implementation Team

At the time, it was done by a highly-experienced vendor team.

Other Advice

If you need a solution for network performance, this is a very good option.

it_user381609
Information Management Senior Engineer at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
It has basic useful features like measurements of CPU, disk, and memory, but it also has the ability to measure net flow.​​​

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features for us are the huge number of network devices it can monitor. It has a lot of useful features, not only the basic things like measurements of CPU, disk, and memory, but it also has the ability to measure net flow.

Also, we've found their good support to be valuable.

How has it helped my organization?

It help us to monitor a large variety of network devices and servers from our customers.

What needs improvement?

In the area of server monitoring, it has some areas for improvement. For example, when you need to measure the CPU usage on Windows servers, it does not have the option to measure the total usage of CPU, only the measure of each core or CPU. Total CPU usage is something that's important to us.

I've used it for three years.

The vendor helped us with deployment.

Yes, we had stability issues. Specifically, when we update to a new version, it often affects the reports that are created.

We did not have any scalability issues.

Customer service is a 10 out of 10.

Technical support is a 10 out of 10.

In my previous job, we used ManageEngine. In this new job, we have always used SevOne.

I wasn't involved in the initial setup, so I don't know.

We implemented it with a vendor term. Their expertise was very high.

I don't know if we evaluated other options because management chose this solution.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good option, particularly because of SevOne's support.

it_user347688
Network Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It's become an integral part of our monitoring and real-time network analysis, although I'd like to see a configuration management feature that lets me customize analyses and data points.

Valuable Features

The features I find most valuable are-- Availability (provides continuous monitoring without loss of functions), and Performance management (takes data for troubleshooting and reporting network issues)

Improvements to My Organization

It's become an integral part of our monitoring and real-time network analysis.

Room for Improvement

I'd like to see a configuration management feature that lets me customize analyses and data points important to me at any specific time.

Use of Solution

I've used it for around two years.

I had no issues with deployment as I wasn't involved.

There were no stability issues for me.

I didn't have any issues with scaling it.

Valuable Features

The features I find most valuable are--

• Availability (provides continuous monitoring without loss of functions), and
  • Performance management (takes data for troubleshooting and reporting network issues)

Improvements to My Organization

It's become an integral part of our monitoring and real-time network analysis.

Room for Improvement

Use of Solution

I've used it for around two years.

I had no issues with deployment as I wasn't involved.

There were no stability issues for me.

I didn't have any issues with scaling it.

8/10

I'm not involved in deployment.

Other Advice

My overall comment is that it's a nice tool for monitoring and managing devices.

Lead Analyst - Software Support at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
Integration to it via API allows us to tie our customer performance metrics data to our customer portal. However, I think they can provide more details in their release notes regarding enhancements.

Valuable Features:

SevOne's ability to report metrics on specific objects very quickly. Whether it is a week, a month, or a a year's worth of data points, SevOne has improved by leveraging short-term vs. long-term memory to provide necessary statistics so we can alleviate network impacts quickly.

Improvements to My Organization:

We integrate heavily to SevOne via API. This allows us to tie our customer performance metrics data to our customer portal, so it is a self-service function.

Room for Improvement:

I think SevOne can improve by providing more details in their release notes regarding enhancements and changes. If the information can be organized in a way that highlights bigger changes it will help customers identify what areas will impact their operations most.

Director - Information Technology at a government with 501-1,000 employees
As an IT Manager, I'm able to monitor our entire infrastructure. Enhanced baselining capability would be an improvement.

Valuable Features:

We currently use SevOne for monitoring our entire infrastructure, including Network Switches, Router, VPN Sites, Servers, SAN, Databases, Connectivity to ISP, etc.

This product is able to monitor a lot of different products within on tool.

As an IT Manager this tool helps me sleep better knowing that SevOne is my eyes and ears watching the entire infrastructure.

Improvements to My Organization:

Ability to monitor wide variety of systems with one tool eliminated the need to have many different tools to monitor our infrastructure.

Room for Improvement:

Enhanced baselining capability would be an improvement.

Systems Developer at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees

What is most valuable?

SevOne is a great solution because it is fully scaleable.

Since 2009, it's been important in the company to identify areas of opportunity and prevent events that affect the services of the company. It has the potential to find more than 300 computers at once, and this is when you have multiple devices, and it gives great speed for each metric values in time.

How has it helped my organization?

It detects trends in metrics that prevent saturation, high temperatures in data centers, and provides visibility into the fantastic elements that help make the verification of real-time events.

What needs improvement?

• Prevention
  • Planning
  • Service quality
  • Problem analysis to help reconcile the part of the services provided

Since 2009.

No, everything is very transparent in the implementation of the solution because it is an appliance. Everything is integrated at the application level, including the database and hardware.

It is very stable.

It's very scaleable, as you just add an appliance and it's immediately available to users. Also, its integration with other appliances is very quick and transparent to end users. We started with only one, and have grown over time to more than 15 appliances very quickly.

The level of service is friendly, and we have various means of contact- forums, the SevOne community, phone, website, face-to-face with regional sales engineers. The only thing missing is to have it in Spanish.

The level of knowledge of support portion is good. Complicated cases have engineering that support the first tier if necessary. Their responses are fast and efficient.

We used a solution called MRTG that has limits in its history. It was limited, and did not have many features such as sending of traps and capabilities such as speed. It lacks good management teams, and we would find it very difficult to manage them with the previous solution we had.

The initial configuration is very simple to implement could say it's something like Plug and Play, this solution is very user friendly and you are increasingly making improvements , many of them taken into account users

The level of implementation and sales for our case was good since we directly directly with the managers. The people in sales and implementation are currently trying to meet our expectations in a very effective and efficient way. We've had excellent treatment and care.

It analyzes events affecting the services we provide to our customers, and it helps to plan improvements that are reflected in customers satisfied with the services we provide , be clear at the executive level quality of services we are providing.

The level of price to functionality ratio is more balanced because, as an appliance it doesn't care about hardware or database that we would otherwise use. This directly helps SevOne engineers who are responsible for this, and avoid those areas that indicate there is a problem at the application, database or hardware level.

We had an evaluation of the best solutions and found that SevOne fit us best. It gave us more opportunities, and better performance than the other solutions. The best part that I see is its patented multiple elements is impressive and very efficient.

What other advice do I have?

It is a very efficient and highly recommended solution. Its stability is great and gives you a great view of all the elements of your organization. Also, the ability to publish charts on websites is one of the things that are used.

Director Systems Management at a wellness & fitness company with 501-1,000 employees
Historically, we had constant server crashes and locks due to storage volumes filling up, which rarely happens now.

What is most valuable?

• UI for administration
  • Ease of use
  • One price, use as we need, and no add-ons to pay for
  • We can leverage JMX extensively as well
  • Flow collection allows us to avoid having to use a packet-capture product often.
  • The cluster of the solution allows ease of access for our users all over the country and world.

How has it helped my organization?

We have closed monitoring gaps and consolidated multiple point solutions from varying vendors as our company has handled mergers and acquisitions.

We have extensive visibility into the performance and tuning of our java via JMX. Historically, we had JVM’s crash, and had no idea why. Now we know and can tune accordingly via data from SevOne.

Historically, before SevOne, we had constant server crashes and locks due to storage volumes filling up. That rarely happens now.

We've used it for eight years. Currently, we use PAS (various models), vPAS, and DNC. We don’t use the log analytics solution at this time.

Initially very easy. The only delay that comes into play depends on the ability of an organization to configure the devices for SNMP if they are locked down. If SNMP is running and open as likely in many organizations, it’s fast and easy.

Compared to others I’ve used, it's very solid and support is extremely responsive if and when we have had any bugs or defects. At times, when we have lived on the leading edge of advanced release code we’ve encountered more, but if we stay back on solid GD versions, it's solid.

This one comes and goes as have the members of our account team. They have all been good at trying to understand our use and business, but some push the sale too hard and that is a turn off. I know this product and know what I need and when.

In the past I have used CA NSM, HP OpenView, Concord, Spectrum, What’s up Gold, Solarwinds, BMC products, to name a few. While some competitors have a feature here or there that might be better on the whole, this is the best solution for us on the market for the dollar with the simplest ramp up and ease of administration.

It was simple as the environment wasn’t configured tightly (no ACLs, etc. to battle). There were some firewall rule changes where we needed to get to the DMZ devices we measure, but that moved quickly here.

We implemented it on our own with SevOne support assistance. For that matter we have been with them long enough that the CTO did our POC work with us.

I don’t recall that we had a hard cost other than the license/purchase, it was soft costs (OpEx labor) and we haven't worked those out, as they are ongoing. We have one employee that spends about 80% of his time working on the platform today. We have two 40K pollers, two HA units, two 10K units with one HA, three VPAS, and one DNC flow collector. So roughly $50,000 in labor annually.

What other advice do I have?

They should speak to other customers to understand how it was implemented and used. Think about best practices on the server/network side so standards and processes can be established at the start to prevent rework later.

it_user332790
Network Engineer at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
It provides us with more data to be informed of the traffic on our network, but we'd like heat mapping and more detailed data.

Valuable Features:

Slow Data and SNMP Data help us figure out who is talking to whom and for how long from a network-traffic perspective.

Improvements to My Organization:

It provides us with more data to be informed of the traffic on our network.

Room for Improvement:

We would like heat mapping and more detailed data, but in a general sense the initial mission was to get a more informed viewpoint of traffic in our network, and they knocked that out of the park in terms of those elements.

Use of Solution:

We have been using the solution for about a year.

Deployment Issues:

It was very easy.

9/10

Initial Setup:

Setup was very complex as there were issues with the device pipes. We needed a lot of intervention and technical assistance.

ROI:

Fantastic – for money laid out vs. what you’re getting back, it's been great.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

What made SevOne very attractive is that you pay as you go – you don’t need to buy something for $100,000 just to get started. You can start low and build up as you go and as you see how the product works. We started with $5,000 to $10,000 and, once you see that it works, you can jump in.

Other Advice:

Make sure it's compatible with the networking devices you have. I think they had a code bug that is now corrected because we haven’t had any problems with our devices and the application in a while. I assume they fixed this issue – but check that it interacts with the network appliances you have.

Network Operations at a university with 501-1,000 employees
Its ease-of-use enables us to troubleshoot quickly and reduce MTTR. UI improvements are needed to reduce the number of clicks needed to produce a chart.

Valuable Features

SevOne excels at gathering performance metrics and then making them quickly accessible in ways that I want to view them.

Setting alerts and thresholds is easy and reliable.

The data remains granular--not rolled up into averages--so viewing past metrics maintains the same detail as current data.

The platform easily scales to monitor millions of objects.

Improvements to My Organization

Ease of use enables us to troubleshoot quickly and reduce MTTR.

Dashboards display important info which provides the NOC insight to the network and applications.

Room for Improvement

Continual UI improvements are needed to reduce number of clicks needed to produce a chart.

Use of Solution

We have used the product for about 8 years.

SevOne experienced some growing pains in recent years, but have now invested properly to enable appropriate attention to the customer experience.

Like customer service, tech support has continued to improve and proper business attention is being paid to ensuring improved support and professional services.

it_user320085
Engineer II at a media company with 10,001+ employees
Several groups within our organization use the capacity graphs to monitor network health, and adding an appliance is straightforward.

What is most valuable?

The capacity to monitor our network is the most important feature to me.

How has it helped my organization?

The capacity graphs are used by several groups within Comcast to monitor the health of the network.

What needs improvement?

There's no need for improvement.

I've used it for two years.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: Excellent, customer service is 10/10. Technical Support: Excellent, the technical support is very knowledgeable…

What is most valuable?

The capacity to monitor our network is the most important feature to me.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

There's no need for improvement.

I've used it for two years.

No issues encountered.

Excellent, customer service is 10/10.

Excellent, the technical support is very knowledgeable about the product.

The previous product did not meet all the company requirements.

The setup is straightforward and is very flexible. Adding an appliance is very simple and easy to do.

The product was implemented with in-house resources with assistance from the vendor.

I work on the technical side and have no insight into ROI.

I work on the technical side and have no insight into the purchasing side.

I know other products were evaluated but I was not part of that discussion.

What other advice do I have?

SevOne is a good product and I would recommend it.

it_user310887
Vice President, Engineer Lead at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees

What is most valuable?

• Scalability
  • Speed
  • Integration of performance and flow data

How has it helped my organization?

It allows us to see metrics and immediately map to who is causing an issue so we can react faster. It improves our mean time to resolution.

What needs improvement?

I would say that incorporating other technologies, we have great performance data, but if it started doing intelligence and looked at the patterns or correlations, that would be great.

I've used it for almost three years.

No issues with deployment – it's fairly simple and quick.

It's been great with no issues.

It has scaled to our needs; if you need more you add an appliance and off you go.

Fantastic – responsive.

The engineers are well trained – have been fantastic.

We were using EHealth (CA) and NetQOS, but we left those products for greater scalability and speed, as well as being able to consolidate those two products into one.

Pretty straightforward, but complex due to the size of our organization. This is not an issue with Sevone.

We did it in-house.

We just evaluated this product based on what we heard and we initiated a POC.

What other advice do I have?

I would say spend the time to learn the product so you can fully leverage it – theres a lot to the product. If you push the solution, it can solve a lot of problems.

it_user310884
Senior Network Engineer at a media company with 10,001+ employees
We're able to use it to see where customers are disconnecting and to discover outages before customers complain.

What is most valuable?

• The ease of device certification – self-certify or have SevOne certify devices for me.
  • Stability has been pretty good for us over the years – it’s a pretty stable platform.

How has it helped my organization?

We are actually using it for commercial use. We can see where customers are disconnecting and their orders failing, which results in us continuing to bill them and having to reimburse them. SevOne enables us to look at the data and see that the customer has disconnected so we can stop billing and reimbursing them. We also can discover outages before the customer complains.

What needs improvement?

I think that the upgrade process could be improved, which can be painful at times. SevOne knows it's an issue and they're working on it.

I've used it for eight years.

We only encountered issues during upgrades. The initial deployment was not a problem as we just deployed three new servers a couple months ago. There was one minor issue which should have been picked up but which we found out later. Typically deployments are pretty smooth.

No issues with stability.

So far the product has scaled to our needs. We broke it early on but the past few years it has scaled to our needs.

8-9/10

7-8/10

We used EHealth (a former CA product). Because of the upgrades and device certifications, we had to switch.

Setup was straightforward.

We implemented through the vendor and they were very good.

We're managing it with one person so the cost is cheaper than some of our other tools.

We looked at other solutions, but management chose SevOne because of its cost.

What other advice do I have?

Test it out in your environment – it all depends on your environment, but it fits very well for ours.

it_user303147
Network Administrator at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
It provides granularity of data, fast response time, a quick display, and requires less manual intervention.

What is most valuable?

• It provides accurate data, which is critical.
  • I also like the very quick reporting, as I can pull up graphs and charts very quickly.
  • Real time reporting – one-minute polling, as opposed to fifteen-minute polling, so that’s fifteen times better. If we had better equipment I think we could do it even quicker.

How has it helped my organization?

With previous platforms we had to manually add and remove devices. With this solution, it's all automatic – all auto discovery and deletion, which is amazing. It gives us visibility that we didn’t have before.

What needs improvement?

I can't think of anything as they have been very good to us, though it’s a little bit expensive. You could pay three times and get junk, or pay just once and get something good.

I've been using it since 2012.

No, actually it was really quick, and the only issues were from our own internal teams. We would have had it deployed in a month-and-a-half without those hurdles, but it took six months, which is not bad either.

It's been rock solid.

We still have the original server form and we have not had to install much additional hardware, except just to add teams to the server.

It's really good.

We're on a first name basis with all our support guys. We have gone to Delaware and Boston to visit them; they are good people.

We previously used HP OVPI and we switched because the granularity of data, faster response time, quicker display, the tool was cheaper as well, and required less manual intervention.

It was pretty straightforward.

We implemented with a vendor team – those guys know their stuff. They are one of the reasons we chose the product.

We evaluated EMC Watch3net and InfoVista. There were even more – maybe a good seven other vendors we looked at.

What other advice do I have?

You have to know what you're looking for – we knew exactly what we were looking for and basically if you know that it's much easier to find a solution that meets your needs. Stick to your guns – don’t settle. We did not settle.

it_user310878
Chief Technology Officer at a aerospace/defense firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
We're able to take proactive measures because it provides complete infrastructure visibility and detailed data to our customer.

What is most valuable?

The fact that it's agentless. With agents, you only see what you instrument and what you tell it to look at. With SevOne, I have complete infrastructure visibility and can see anything on the network.

How has it helped my organization?

In 2002, my company was using Tivoli and I was totally frustrated in our inability to see anything. The first thing we fixed was storage and only got around to monitoring in 2008, which was a mess. We had trouble keeping our agents running and had 5 actions for every 125.

Now, we have about 125 actions as opposed to 125 phone calls of issues, increasing our proactive measures hundred-fold. We also began providing rich detailed data to our customer on system performance to the point that they had to change their processes and level of transparency.

We're blowing away our competition.

What needs improvement?

I think that the downstream suppression could be improved. Suppression must all be done manually, but this improvement is on SevOne's roadmap, I believe.

I've used SevOne since 2010.

For our POC in 2010, we did a little bit of work ahead of time, laying down a small system and receiving an actionable date within four hours. A sister company was having a problem with a payroll system and had no monitoring on the system, so we installed a full suite of SevOne for them on a shared, virtual environment. We deployed those in 24 hours and we provided real-time data into how well the infrastructure was performing.

The only stability issue we had was with a recent upgrade, which took us a long time to backup and restore. We had significant issues with the stability of the PLA platform early on but they fixed and relaunched – very few companies have done that. The PAS and DNC have been rock solid.

No issues with scalability – that’s what's sweet about this product, unlike Tivoli with which he did have scalability issues. SevOne is peer-to-peer so you just add another PAS to the cluster. It's like lots of hands making light work – no problems scaling.

9/10 – they are working on improving that, but have a way to go yet.

We looked at a bunch – we did and RFI – Opnet, NetQS, SevOne and a fourth one. We ended up testing NetQOS (CA owned) and SevOne.

Tivoli – we're still using it as a backup, but all of our RCA and SLA reporting are coming from SevOne.

Easiest deploying product I have ever worked with. It's intuitive. I used to be a Unix admin, and I haven’t done this deployment before, yet I'm able to find data as I need.

We implemented SevOne through our in-house team.

The ROI for my kind of business is difficult to assess, but if I could get rid of Tivoli, I'd reduce my load by two FTE’s which would give me a six month ROI as a back-of-the-envelope kind of guess.

We have increased our capability a hundred-fold over, so it was more of a customer performance thing than ROI. I could see stuff I never saw before. In our root-cause analysis, I would typically have eight level-six people and it could take 24 hours. That’s a lot of horsepower. Now it takes us a quarter of the time. That’s huge.

We looked at a bunch during the RFI process – Opnet, NetQS, SevOne, and a fourth one. We ended up testing NetQOS (CA owned) and SevOne.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise someone to test drive the product and see if it's what you need. I've recommended many people to use this product because it deploys so easily.

Developer at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
Impressive adaptability for non-standard situations
SevOne has become a vital component to me in both assisting internal network planning initiatives as well as external initiatives providing customers with valuable information. We don't use SevOne "out of the box" either. The adaptability of SevOne when I need something non-standard is impressive.

IT Administrator at Atos
MSP
I've worked with several network management tools and SevOne has the best support
SevOne NSM tool is the best option for monitoring our company's infrastructure. I have experience working with other network management tools and this is one of the best ones including the vendor support.

Download our free SevOne Network Data Platform Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.