Shopify OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Shopify is the #6 ranked solution in our list of top eCommerce Platforms. It is most often compared to SAP Hybris Commerce: Shopify vs SAP Hybris Commerce

What is Shopify?
Shopify is an e-commerce company that develops computer software for online stores and retail point-of-sale systems.

Download the eCommerce Platforms Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Shopify Customers
RadioShack, Hawaiian Airlines, ThirdLove, Whistle, Essio Shower, Silk Therapeutics, Slack, Beamz Interactive, National Aquarium, GoNoodle, Toronto Life, FiftyThree
Shopify Video

Archived Shopify Reviews (more than two years old)

Mae Ann Jalayajay
Web Developer at a computer retailer with 501-1,000 employees
Multi-channel sales capability and support for unique discount codes

• "It has a brilliant inventory system to help you manage your store."
  • "I would like to see a feature that allows us to access all of the platforms in Shopify, like Facebook and Instagram messages, so we can easily reply to connect to our customers."

What is our primary use case?

Shopify is the best eCommerce platform on the market today. It’s designed to help people build their own, scalable online store with hundreds of built-in features, and tons of apps. You can sell products directly on your website, and across multiple marketplaces and social media.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution gives us the ability to sell across multiple channels, including Facebook, Instagram, Amazon, and eBay.

What is most valuable?

This solution received the highest score for features and customer satisfaction.

It has a brilliant inventory system to help you manage your store.

The unique discount codes feature makes it better to personalize my marketing. Discount codes are very important to us. It helps a lot of e-commerce industries to create our own discount codes, so there is no need to use an app or pay to other apps for this feature.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see a feature that allows us to access all of the platforms in Shopify, like Facebook and Instagram messages, so we can easily reply to connect to our customers. This would be a big help to us.

The pricing plan is in need of improvement.

Apps can quickly add up as you add extra features to your store.

We have been using this solution for three years.

This is the only platform to enforce its own transaction fee unless you use Shopify Payments Content, which doesn’t automatically reformat when you switch themes.

What other advice do I have?

I would like to say thank-you to Shopify for this platform and thank-you to their team.

Managing Member at Christiano Ferraro Consultancy, LLC
​The user friendliness in implementing a website with eCommerce functionality is good.

What is most valuable?

The user friendliness in implementing a website with eCommerce functionality including both shopping cart and merchant services working within five minutes. Affordable and painless to have almost immediate implementation.

How has it helped my organization?

As a management consultant, my role is to recommend solutions that supersede my preferences with the intent to serve my clients best. This tool objectively addresses most eCommerce business needs and with their app store and developers can even support customized functionality.

What needs improvement?

The formatting within the user interface has its limitations. Navigating those without coding knowledge (which is the type of user the tool is designed for) can be frustrating for some.

I've used it for four years.

It's one of the easiest tools to deploy and get up and running.

In earlier years, the solution would have down times but I would say in the past year, maybe it's once or twice a year with a way to check status real time and issues fixed typically within an hour or less.

The solution includes unlimited bandwidth.

Excellent. 24/7 support accessible by phone, chat or email and consistently helpful.

I have not used a different solution. Many hours were spent researching and assessing my options before I began using and learning the intricacies of Shopify.

Getting a website live was pretty straightforward and their customer support documentation outlining steps for things like migrating your domain is well scripted.

I implemented the tool myself.

Set-up cost - $0. Plans are $29/month to $79/month unless you get the big one. They have transaction fees varying by plan, but roughly at 2.8% or less. Any additional costs would come from apps available for additional functionality. These apps are quite affordable and can provide a lot of value for the cost if you do your homework first.

• GoDaddy
  • Volusion
  • BigCommerce
  • WordPress/WooCommerce

What other advice do I have?

Unless your needs are quite complex, this is the most affordable and immediate solution to taking your online business live without developer help.

With any business, if you take the time to understand the difference between what you need to have and what you want to have, it will help you make better decisions serving your short and long-term goals while balancing cash-flow.

Product Categories
eCommerce Platforms
Download our free eCommerce Platforms Report and find out what your peers are saying about Shopify, Salesforce, SAP, and more!