Silk Central Overview

What is Silk Central?
Silk Central is an open test management solution which unifies all test assets into one easy-to-use planning, tracking, reporting and execution hub. Silk Central enables you to gain control, collaboration and traceability across all areas of your software testing, whether your methodology is Agile, Traditional or hybrid. Silk Central provides integration of requirements, manual and automated tests, defect tools and your test execution, giving full traceability of the quality of your software testing regardless of role.

Silk Central is also known as Borland Silk Central, Micro Focus Silk Central.

Download the Test Management Tools Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

Silk Central Customers
AmBank Group, Krung Thai Computer Services, Deakin University
Silk Central Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Test Governance at Poste Italiane
Leaderboard
A powerful platform and strong technical support help us to make the right decisions

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for running tests and reporting the results of those tests. We have a lot of customized tests, and download more than twenty thousand reports per year.

• "The stability of this solution is very good. In our experience it is approximately ninety-nine percent."
  • "We would also like to manage the integration testing end-to-end."

What other advice do I have?

I certainly recommend the use of this solution. You can start using it quickly, and we have found that the software is easy to learn. The tool offers many ways to get the same information, so in the beginning some users are unsure. However, for the basic user, such as a tester, it is very simple and direct. We know that there are open source tools in the market that offer the same level of functionality, but open source means that you need to invest more in support. The community is good, but in our experience it is not the same as a good vendor. I would rate this solution eight out of ten.
Application Architect at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Leaderboard
With the ease of use it provides, our teams have a smooth learning curve in test automation
Find out what your peers are saying about Micro Focus, SmartBear, Microsoft and others in Test Management Tools. Updated: May 2021.
501,499 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Test Automation Lead at a insurance company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Several features could use improvement although Defect Management is useful

What is most valuable?

Issues and Defect Management.

What needs improvement?

Reporting Execution planning Requirement Dashboard

12 months.

None.

None.

Good.

I have used HPE Quality Center, HPE ALM, JIRA, and Rally. They are much better tools than Silk. When I move clients, I have to use the tool they currently use, so I just learn them all.

I am not sure, I didn’t set it up. It was set up in 1999 and I was not a part of my current organization.

What's my experience with pricing,

Test Governance at Poste Italiane
Leaderboard
We have many possibilities to customize the utilization and we can also work easily at database level for custom reporting and to manage additional information and integration.

What other advice do I have?

If you are an enterprise site that needs a real customizable test and defect management solution, one that is easy to use and with a good level of out-of-the-box functionality and integration options, Silk Central is a good choice. Also if you are not an "enterprise" operation, take in to consideration the fast startup to implement it. Add mid-level expertise of SQL or ORACLE procedures to your support team and you can satisfy any management requests.
Quality Engineering at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
We've seen improvements to our organization in terms of the configurability and the stability of our product. With this solution, for example, configurability is no longer a risk factor for SCTM bugs.

What other advice do I have?

Every Waterfall and Agile project should be using Silk Central. Automated and manual tests are easy to deploy and to update. Writing and reading test specifications are clearer and faster.
Senior Software Tester at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
We have automated 5000 test cases and reduced lot of manual effort. It will be great if we get something which works well on bad network and takes less memory to execute the commands.

What other advice do I have?

This is one of the best product if you have to handle desktop & browser application to complete a flow.
Senior Consultant at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
I can have a macro-view of all my tests, but the portal could be cleaner and faster.​

What is most valuable?

All the reports are very important for me, as is the integration with Caliber.

How has it helped my organization?

With SilkCentral, I can have a macro-view of all my tests. I can also have detailed reports about all projects.

What needs improvement?

I think that the portal could be cleaner and faster.

I've used it for about three years.

No issues encountered.

It's very important. I don't have a problem with support.

Which solution did I use

Test Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
We moved to this product for trial purpose as its licenses ended up being quite cheap compared to ALM. However, adding the test cases and assigning them to particular testers can be improved.

What other advice do I have?

It would certainly be worth the cost, but you need to be committed to using it long term. Only then would you actually know the real features of the product and how they can be helpful.
Staff Engineer - Automation engineer at a manufacturing company with 5,001-10,000 employees
We can trigger a build on Jenkins and come back to see the test results, but I've no idea how to completely remove an unused test case.

What other advice do I have?

As far as I know, Silk Central is widely used in many IT companies in Taiwan.
Download our free Test Management Tools Report and find out what your peers are saying about Micro Focus, SmartBear, Microsoft, and more!