Silk Test Overview

Silk Test is the #5 ranked solution in our list of top Regression Testing Tools. It is most often compared to Micro Focus UFT One: Silk Test vs Micro Focus UFT One

What is Silk Test?
SilkTest is robust and portable test automation for web, native, and enterprise software applications. Silk Test's portability enables users to test applications more effectively with lower complexity and cost in comparison to other functional testing tools on the market. Silk Test's role based testing enables business stakeholders, QA engineers, and developers to contribute to the whole automation testing process, which drives collaboration and increases the effectiveness of software testing.

Silk Test is also known as Segue, SilkTest, Micro Focus Silk Test.

Silk Test Buyer's Guide

Download the Silk Test Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

Silk Test Customers
Krung Thai Computer Services, Quality Kiosk, Mªller, AVG Technologies
Silk Test Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Silk Test pricing:
  • "Our licensing fees are on a yearly basis, and while I think that the price is quite reasonable I am not allowed to share those details."
  • "We paid annually. There is a purchase cost, and then there is an ongoing maintenance fee."

Malli Bharathi M
IT Service Delivery Manager Testing and RPA at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
An easy to use interface with a recording feature that our business users are happy with

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is regression testing which is done every month end. We have a management cycle specific for SAP where a few changes will be moving to prediction. There are approximately one to two hundred scenarios where that needs to be executed. Our regression test makes sure that the functionality is not being affected at any point in time. We also use it for automation testing in non-SAP projects that have problems internally detected by our team.

• "The major thing it has helped with is to reduce the workload on testing activities."
  • "The support for automation with iOS applications can be better."

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend implementing this solution but make sure to get the necessary authorization. Ask about the service assistant and check with the other users as well. You have to make sure that you get all of the deliverables that have been maintained in the statement of work that has been described, otherwise, you might miss something and get into trouble. It's better to look at the agreement, see what the deliverables are and make sure that everything has been completed before they hand it over. Otherwise, it will be a really difficult problem to handle. The features that are…
SB
Director of Engineering at a energy/utilities company with 51-200 employees
A stable solution with good scripting feature, but needs better scalability and a bigger pool of third-party contractors

What is our primary use case?

We used it for data-driven automated tests that have numeric calculations with high precision requirements. We probably are using the version from two years ago.

• "Scripting is the most valuable. We are able to record and then go in and modify the script that it creates. It has a lot of generative scripts."
  • "We moved to Ranorex because the solution did not easily scale, and we could not find good and short term third-party help. We needed to have a bigger pool of third-party contractors that we could draw on for specific implementations. Silk didn't have that, and we found what we needed for Ranorex here in the Houston area. It would be good if there is more community support. I don't know if Silk runs a user conference once a year and how they set up partners. We need to be able to talk to somebody more than just on the phone. It really comes right down to that. The generated automated script was highly dependent upon screen position and other keys that were not as robust as we wanted. We found the automated script generated by Ranorex and the other key information about a specific data point to be more robust. It handled the transition better when we moved from computer to computer and from one size of the application to the other size. When we restarted Silk, we typically had to recalibrate screen elements within the script. Ranorex also has some of these same issues, but when we restart, it typically is faster, which is important."

What other advice do I have?

It is a fine product. It is just like any other tool. It is a powerful tool, and it needs commitment. Our way to get that on top of our workload was to find a short term contractor. If you've got the manpower to commit to being there to get it started, it will be just fine. There is no real big objection to Silk Test. We just needed some other help with the designs. I would rate Silk Test a seven out of ten.
Learn what your peers think about Silk Test. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,817 professionals have used our research since 2012.
SrinivasPakala
Performance and Security (SAST & DAST) Test Engineering Manager at CGI
Stable, with good statistics and detailed reporting available

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for performance testing. It can also handle capacity planning on web applications. Silk Test is a tool with which we can simulate the number of users, and with that, ramp up and ramp down strategies that we can design. Based on the load model we can design performance tests for our applications. On top of it we can do configurations. We test the solution to PPS. For example, we test how many PPS transactions per second will be simulated on Silk Test. We can find out how much time testing will take. You can integrate various performance tests, which typically takes… more »

• "The statistics that are available are very good."
  • "Everything is very manual. It's up to us to find out exactly what the issues are."

What other advice do I have?

The solution is a good solution, and, in certain cases, I would recommend it. However, it's not always necessary for certain organizations. Silk Performer is very good. I don't have any complaints about Silk Performer. Before using any Silk product, however, it's a good idea to do a proof of concept. I'd advise that, for the web applications, users maybe spend some time Googleing information about it. That way you'll see what it looks like and maybe begin to understand it a bit better. It's more or less straight forward and simple. However, if it's for a Windows application, definitely Silk…
Ray Andrews
Director at Traydaht ltd
Adding users to the database is straightforward but the solution takes a while to understand

• "The ability to develop scripts in Visual Studio, Visual Studio integration, is the most valuable feature."
  • "They should extend some of the functions that are a bit clunky and improve the integration."

What other advice do I have?

The product is very good and I would recommend it. You should make sure that it works with the technology you're testing. Some technologies have very particular functionality and methods of delivering that functionality. You have to make sure that it's compatible otherwise you will always be trying to work around it. The Silk Test community of users is quite small. You need to find people who are experienced with Silk Test or take QFT or UFT users and cross-train them. They're not a huge community of users. You have to be careful about who you put on the products and make sure they are well…
CA
IT Programme Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Good keyword management but lacks compatibility, and could improve stability

What is our primary use case?

The solution is generally a framework for test functional automation. We use it for automation of web applications for the most part.

• "The scalability of the solution is quite good. You can easily expand the product if you need to."
  • "The solution has a lack of compatibility with newer technologies."

What other advice do I have?

We are not using the latest version of the solution. We are most likely using a version that is the version before the latest one. If I were to rate the solution out of ten, I'd give it about a five. It's the new kid on the block. It still needs to improve a lot.
Arno Krause
Delivery Lead Testing at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Offers a single frame of reporting across all the various tests but the setup is stressful

What is our primary use case?

We predominantly use the solution for network performance testing. We are currently deploying a solution to various countries in Africa, so we're predominantly using it for current applications.

• "The feature I like most is the ease of reporting."
  • "The pricing is an issue, the program is very expensive. That is something that can improve."

What other advice do I have?

Overall it is a good tool to use. We just need to get somebody in our company that can use it to its fullest extent and uses it in a piecemeal fashion. In the next release, I would like to see easy integration into other tools like Tosca and ALD Suite and to become the master. And I know everybody says they can do it, but I would like to be the master of masters. The ultimate one. I will rate this program seven out of ten simply because I would never give a product a ten.
Download our free Silk Test Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.