Slack Overview

Slack is the #3 ranked solution in our list of top Enterprise Social Software. It is most often compared to Symphony: Slack vs Symphony

What is Slack?

Slack is where work happens. It’s a digital workspace that powers your organization — all the pieces and the people — so you can get things done.

Slack brings all your communication together in one place. It's real-time messaging, archiving and search for modern teams.

Download the Enterprise Social Software Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

Slack Customers

Strava, The New York Times, Spotify, Blue Bottle Coffee Company, Eventbrite, Box, Circa, Stripe

Slack Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Slack pricing:
  • "We use the free version that does not have a license."

PS
Founder & CEO at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
A clean and efficient communications platform that is good for large teams

What is our primary use case?

I use Slack primarily for communications. This includes communicating with individuals as well as grouping people into cells to work on specific parts of a project. We don't use the features beyond just the basic communicative side of it.

• "With respect to being a clean and efficient communications platform, I think that it does the job quite well."
  • "I have found it cumbersome to create and set up groups, or channels."

What other advice do I have?

From my perspective, this is a good product and I definitely recommend it. My advice for anybody who is implementing this type of product is to first consider what it is that they want to achieve, and then make the decision about which product to implement based on that. If you're trying to pick between platforms, like Teams versus Slack, I would recommend Slack for a variety of reasons. Even if you are using Teams already, I would suggest using Slack in addition because you can't go wrong. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
VladanKojanic
Head of Information Technology Group at Ministry of Environmental Protection
An easy to use, cost-effective collaboration tool with all the functionality that we need

What is our primary use case?

We are using Slack to collaborate between employees, as many of them are working from home. While I personally started using it a couple of years ago, it has been about a month since all of our employees began using it.

• "Slack makes it easy for employees to contact each other and exchange documents or information."
  • "I would like to see a special feature for multiple people to collaborate on a document, working on it at the same time."

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is researching Slack is that it is easy to set up and quite helpful for daily common things. We use only the free license but it is enough for us. If we continue to use Slack after the current crisis ends then we may buy more features and add-ons. For now, however, we have what we need. Overall, we are satisfied with Slack. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
Find out what your peers are saying about Slack, Symphony, Facebook and others in Enterprise Social Software. Updated: June 2021.
522,946 professionals have used our research since 2012.
JK
IT Test Manager at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Easy to use with an intuitive interface and the screen sharing works well

What is our primary use case?

We are using Slack for web conferencing. It is primarily for external communication with one of our suppliers.

• "The most valuable feature is the screen sharing, which works well."
  • "I would like the text in chat to be more customizable."

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is a good product and I can recommend it. It's easy to use and so far, it has been reliable. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
Sangeeta Panigrahi
Chief Executive Officer at aximind
Good communication features help to promote collaboration between team members

What is our primary use case?

Our internal team primarily used Slack for communication with each other. If two or three people were working on the same modules then they were able to share code and work together.

• "The feature that I have found most valuable is communication between team members."
  • "Customization is something that Slack is lacking."

What other advice do I have?

My company has been acquired so we are going to align our systems with our parent company. At this point, I am not sure if we will continue with Slack or instead move to another solution. I have suggested that we continue using the same tools, but at this point, I am not sure. In my opinion, this is a good product and I recommend it. Slack is much better than Microsoft Teams. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
IM
Analyst at a government with 5,001-10,000 employees
Leaderboard
Easy to use and supports multiple chat channels

What is our primary use case?

We used Slack for all of our internal communications during the COVID pandemic.

• "The most valuable feature for me was the different channels."
  • "Slack does not have videoconferencing capabilities, which would have been nice."

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering Slack is that it is a great tool. For us, it's difficult to talk with other departments, so this was the ideal solution. Overall, we really liked it, although it would have been nice to have videoconferencing support. I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.
Harshit Pahuja
Operations Manager at Be You Plus
I really liked the Slack bot and its integration with partners to make the work easy

What is our primary use case?

It's our organization's chatroom where workflows and information are passed. We use Slack for communication within teams.
Sumant Luhar
User
Good content management with named channel capability to focus projects

What is our primary use case?

I use Slack to communicate mainly for content related tasks with clients as they find it easy and quick to keep track of all of the on-going projects. Most importantly, it helped me to communicate with other content writers whenever I have to work in a team for a particular content project.

• "Slack is a powerpack bundle of features that help small or large organizations to handle teams and their tasks."
  • "I would like to see the social sharing of blogs, announcements, or other news directly from the message corner."
CR
Senior Project Manager in Group Application Architecture at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
A stable platform for video conferencing, but in-meeting content sharing need to be improved

What is our primary use case?

We use Slack for having meetings with one of our vendors.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are video conferencing and sharing content during meetings.

What needs improvement?

I would like the in-meeting content sharing facility to be improved.

We have been using Slack for about one year.

Slack is stable and we haven't had any problems.

We have not had issues with scalability but our audiences in the meetings have not been large.

The technical support is fine.

In…
Product Categories
Enterprise Social Software
Download our free Enterprise Social Software Report and find out what your peers are saying about Slack, Symphony, Facebook, and more!