Slack Overview

Slack is the #3 ranked solution in our list of top Enterprise Social Software. It is most often compared to Symphony: Slack vs Symphony

What is Slack?

Slack is where work happens. It’s a digital workspace that powers your organization — all the pieces and the people — so you can get things done.

Slack brings all your communication together in one place. It's real-time messaging, archiving and search for modern teams.

Slack Buyer's Guide

Download the Slack Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: February 2021

Slack Customers

Strava, The New York Times, Spotify, Blue Bottle Coffee Company, Eventbrite, Box, Circa, Stripe

Slack Video

Slack Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Wezen
Semantic Asset Management at Wezen
Nov 13, 2018
Their integration is a game changer, and the UX is really great

What is our primary use case?

I use it every time. For professional and personal use. Their integration is a game changer, and the UX is really great.

How has it helped my organization?

Process made easy Collaboration between teams increased Productivity is now largely increased: top.

What is most valuable?

Integration with Phantombuster, Box, and many many more.  Now, teams can do much more and proactively with Slack.

What needs improvement?

We can't improve the perfection.  The pricing is OK. The UX is wonderful. They could improve the calling quality.

Three to five years.
managerl607749
Manager, Live Production at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jun 7, 2018
Works better than most solutions out there. Notifications rarely show up.

What is most valuable?

Overall, it is a good idea as it works better than most solutions out there.

What needs improvement?

The mobile function is horrible.

Notifications rarely show up. Either messages will not send or they will send twice.

What other advice do I have?

The mobile app needs improvement. It consistently misses notifications.
Find out what your peers are saying about Slack, Symphony, Facebook and others in Enterprise Social Software. Updated: February 2021.
465,891 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user819339
Sales Developer at Omnia Salud
Apr 16, 2018
You have different channels where you can set topics

What is our primary use case?

The idea of using Slack was to keep non-business related talks from business talks. In Slack, you have different channels where you can set topics, therefore people will not divagate on a specific subject.

• "It has definitively made an improvement on our productivity. Information does not got lost in hundreds of less important messages."
  • "Its integration with different apps is a great feature."
  • "Notifications are not as good as they could be (especially for mobile)."
  • "Slack could add additional and better integrations."
Pavel Rephiah
SRO Development Manager
Jan 28, 2018
Channels enable us to manage by locations and subjects, works well on mobile

How has it helped my organization?

We are able to manage various channels by different locations and subjects, and it integrates with Google Drive.

What is most valuable?

Channels File sharing Works well on mobile

What needs improvement?

Notifications.

Less than one year.

No stability issues, works perfectly.

I haven't notice any scalability issues.

Tried to find information about advance settings for notifications, but did not find what I was looking for.

We used Skype. We switched because our parent company…
it_user432543
Head of Operations at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Nov 2, 2017
A very robust, flexible platform with a nice web interface

How has it helped my organization?

Slack is a very robust, flexible platform, which allows for a lot more, not just chat.

What needs improvement?

Some features and plugins can be pretty obscure or difficult to deploy.

Two years.

It came pre-installed but also has a nice web interface. We did have difficulty deploying some features and plugins.

We have had no issues with stability.

We have had no issues with scalability.

It came pre-installed, so we did not need to do any setup on our part.

Neither,…
it_user643638
Desktop Support Analyst at a non-tech company with 51-200 employees
Oct 16, 2017

What other advice do I have?

I think Slack is a very creative application to help unify communication across all team sizes. I will definitely suggest this as my first choice.
it_user635451
CEO at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Aug 28, 2017
The most valuable features are the ability to communicate instantly and create channels. I want to notify users of messages that need immediate ​attention.

What other advice do I have?

It is essential for small team communication.
it_user639456
CTO at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
May 10, 2017
The valuable features are group chat, sharing of attachments, and pinning items.

What other advice do I have?

I am not sure if someone is looking to implement a product like Slack, but if someone is really looking for it, then it’s not that easy. Slack took many months/years to get to this stage. More importantly, they focused on small and medium sized enterprises, which was their biggest market.
it_user657786
Co-Founder- Business at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
May 6, 2017
Allows us to monitor and interact with our systems and infrastructures.

What is most valuable?

I appreciate the rich integrations that allow us to monitor and interact with a number of our systems and infrastructures.

How has it helped my organization?

We are given an overview of our system status. We are able to respond quickly to infrastructure events, marketing events, customer service events, etc.

What needs improvement?

Threaded discussion needs improving.

I have used the product for two years.

We had no stability issues.

We had no scalability issues.

I haven't needed technical support.

The setup was…
it_user272316
Graphic Design, Marketing, Lead Generation at a financial services firm with 1-10 employees
Apr 26, 2017
The most valuable features are creating chats with combinations of people and the remind function.

What other advice do I have?

It is a great product and the mobile app is a big plus.
it_user639453
Community Engagement Manager at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
MSP
Apr 24, 2017
I appreciate the ability to create multiple private or open channels.

What other advice do I have?

Once you sign up, try keeping things clean by creating multiple channels. This will ensure that individual conversations are relevant and that the team does not get distracted by unnecessary chatter.
it_user639444
Marketing Manager, Cloud Solutions at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Apr 20, 2017
The ability to create separate channels is valuable.

What is most valuable?

The ability to create separate channels is valuable.

How has it helped my organization?

For projects, it's improved how we share files. The Google Drive extension means that files can be housed right inside of Slack. We can focus on work without distractions.

What needs improvement?

Microsoft and Google are creating competitive equivalents. Slack needs to find a "secret sauce" that can differentiate them further.

I have used Slack on and off for the past few years. I use it with some side projects.

We have not had any stability issues.

We have not had any scalability issues.

Which solution did I

it_user635469
Social Selling Strategist & Social Media Marketing Programs Manager at a consultancy with 1-10 employees
Apr 19, 2017
The most valuable features are direct messaging and having conversations in channels.

What other advice do I have?

If you're looking for an asynchronous/real-time communications tool, you will not find any app that comes close to Slack.
it_user635442
Quality Engineer II at a tech vendor with 201-500 employees
Mar 31, 2017
The most valuable feature is the ability to be a part of multiple Slack channels that are specific to our needs.

What other advice do I have?

Providing API connections to your bug database and any other database that you use, can give you updates and links inside of a channel, which is a huge help.
it_user608187
Marketing Manager at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
Mar 31, 2017
It has a narrow set of features focused on team communication. I guess that's why it works well.

What other advice do I have?

Definitely give Slack a try.
it_user635601
Data Science Consultant at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Mar 29, 2017
Provides integration between devices, effective organization of shared content, and syntax highlighting.
Sergio Yazyi
IT Strategy & Change Consultant at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Mar 29, 2017
Some of the valuable features are managing notifications, status updates, and reminders.

What other advice do I have?

Consider the resistance to text based communication of people not used to it and those with a fear of transparent communication who are worried about the saturation of technologies. Some gamified training can help and advocate in order to guide, moderate, and curate the channels, set some "netiquette", and encourage use and constructive behaviors. People are getting used more and more used to text based communication through Whatsapp and other apps. Consider that it has a strong community across the world and that is a powerful source to leverage. This product is so flexible and powerful that…
it_user348339
Editorial Director at a media company with 501-1,000 employees
Mar 22, 2017
Integration with third-party automation services has significantly boosted productivity.

What other advice do I have?

Make a significant effort to get user buy-in right from the start. If people see it as just another system, not a powerful email reducer and productivity booster, adoption will lag. You really need everyone on the team to be on board for it to succeed. If even one person sticks to email-first communication, it makes everyone else rely more on email, which defeats the purpose of having Slack.
Alina Yang
Middle PPC at a marketing services firm with 51-200 employees
Dec 31, 2016
Mac version built into Safari has a lot of informative space and allows for custom CSS.

What other advice do I have?

Start with the free version first.
it_user519723
Software Engineer at a educational organization with 51-200 employees
Sep 26, 2016
Code snippets and notification snoozing are valuable features. I would like meeting functionality.

What other advice do I have?

Use what works best for your team and what your team knows best.
Liz Cohen
VP of Marketing at OurCrowd
Sep 7, 2016
It's fairly simple to get used to. Also, the cross platform experience between the web version, mobile and desktop apps is impressively smooth.

What other advice do I have?

There is a built-in cuteness factor with animated gif options as commentary.
Product Categories
Enterprise Social Software
Download our free Enterprise Social Software Report and find out what your peers are saying about Slack, Symphony, Facebook, and more!