SmartBear TestComplete Overview

SmartBear TestComplete is the #3 ranked solution in our list of top Functional Testing Tools. It is most often compared to Tricentis Tosca: SmartBear TestComplete vs Tricentis Tosca

What is SmartBear TestComplete?

TestComplete is a powerful and robust automated testing tool for mobileweb and desktop  applications. Quickly and easily create accurate and repeatable tests across multiple devices, platforms and environments – regardless of experience level. It supports multiple languages, modern control sets and integrates with open source frameworks and tools like Selenium, SoapUI and Jenkins.

SmartBear TestComplete Buyer's Guide

Download the SmartBear TestComplete Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

SmartBear TestComplete Customers

Cisco, J.P. Morgan, Boeing, McAfee, EMC, Intuit, and Thomson Reuters.

SmartBear TestComplete Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Deva Veluchamy
Test Automation Lead/Consultant at Aspire Systems
It supports various and different versions of browsers in web testing, but it's slightly unstable with longer executions of automation scripts.

What is our primary use case?

Evaluated for automating regression suite for windows desktop application and found testcomplete suits well in the aspect of identifying most of the objects and in few other parameters.

• "Test items, project variables helps in managing automation suite and scheduling execution."
  • "Increased performance with less memory and CPU usage."
WB
Test Automation Specialist at a tech vendor with 201-500 employees
The tool has the ability for a non-developer to develop intelligent, robust, data-driven tests

What other advice do I have?

TestComplete is a great product. It is a perfect fit for an organization that has a hard time finding testers with a development background and want to centralize the development, management, and execution of their tests.
Learn what your peers think about SmartBear TestComplete. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
511,607 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user744705
SQA Team Lead at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
Advantages include Name Mapping and finding objects at run time, although it has memory leaks

What other advice do I have?

It's a really good product with minimal issues.
Analista de TI Sênior/Teste de Software at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
Provides easy recording, understanding, and use without too much programming

What other advice do I have?

It is a great product. Just get advice before installation and everything will be much easier for you. I strongly recommend it.
it_user372528
Senior QA & Test Manager, Head of Test Automation at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
The automated test farm of 20 virtual machines for execution, 20 TestComplete licenses and 20 automated testers are doing the job of 100 manual testers.

• "Selenium integration."
  • "Error handling features in the tool are a little limited."

What other advice do I have?

The tool has great capability but also has great potential to demoralize if you implement it in incorrectly. Automated tests complement manual testing and doesn’t remove manual tests completely so I would suggest keep your manual tests, they will come handy as reference when the automated test fails or needs an update. I would suggest following before you start implementing the tool in you automated test environment * Choose the language to be used and stick to it. TestComplete supports six languages (VBScript, JScript, Python, DelphiScript, C++Script, C#Script) * Choose the naming convention…
it_user292632
QA Automation Lead at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Our automation engineers can create tests more easily, but the code editor gives poorly formatted code.

• "It's cross platform automation capabilities specially ranging across web, UNIX (via putty), and other systems."
  • "The code editor, though following eclipse-style, is still a work in progress and gives a very poorly formatted code once viewed via other editing tools."
LB
Software Developer at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
Our biggest problem was the timing between input and responses, but a whole suite of tests could be run automatically.

• "The ability to run a whole suite of tests automatically (which we did overnight)."
  • "We were testing handheld barcode scanners running WindowsCE with many menus of warehouse functions, and our biggest problem was the timing between input and responses."
Julio De Lima
Principal QA Engineer at Capco
Supports Desktop and application testing and enables centralizing all scripts in one tool

• "TestComplete fits almost perfectly with a large amount of stacks, such as Delphi, C#, Java and web applications."
  • "TestComplete gives support to do requests to a SOAP web service but has no support to do HTTP requests on Restful services."

What other advice do I have?

Do a PoC and try to understand if TestComplete fits your context and requirements. Use the script-driven approach instead keyword-driven, because the former is more efficient.
it_user711891
Test Analyst
It has increased effective testing processes and reduced the cycle time. I would like to see recovery scenarios.

What other advice do I have?

This is the best tool for GUI and Web Automation.
it_user710514
Test Automation Engineer at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
Calls different operations through batch files. The product is not stable enough and it crashes often.

• "Runs in different remote machines. We have multiple versions of the software being tested."
  • "Product is not stable enough and it crashes often."

What other advice do I have?

Get training and decide on a framework that suited for your application. It always depends on what you want to do with the tool.
HM
QA Manager with 201-500 employees
I like the cross browser compatibility. The way objects are added and used when utilizing descriptive programming could be improved.

• "I like the cross browser compatibility. It saves a lot of time re-writing scripts to accommodate different browsers."
  • "The way objects are added and used when utilizing descriptive programming could be improved. It is a little unwieldy, compared to UFT."

What other advice do I have?

As with all tools, verify that it will do what you need for a reasonable price.
it_user710532
Architecture Analyst at a tech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Automated testing was used to validate security protocols for web applications

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you have a large volume of testing to transfer. Otherwise, it is not worth the money.
JM
Senior Automation Test Analyst with 10,001+ employees
Allows us to test both desktop and web applications

• "It allows us to test both desktop and web applications."
  • "It is very hard to read the test log generated by TestComplete Executor if the log file is very big. TestComplete Executor is a small tool for just running the TestComplete test framework (not for developing)."

What other advice do I have?

This tool is very easy to use and very powerful. It has a short test development circle and good technical support. There is an expensive license, but it could save more, as testers may spend more time achieving a certain test goal if using an Open Source tool. You need to consider the testers' script experience and the company’s budget to choose the right tool.
Senior Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Using this solution I am able to process whole pages at once rather than doing everything one by one

What other advice do I have?

Test the trial, then go for it. Keyword tests seem viable for straightforward test cases, but to create dynamic architecture you might want to stick only with scripts and drop Name Mapping. Keyword tests are easy and fast to record, but adding complex logic for them can be tricky and time consuming.
it_user288375
Quality Assurance Engineer with 501-1,000 employees
We've now automated 90% of the testing we used to perform manually, but I would have preferred Python support in earlier versions.
Software Quality Analyst I at Bentley Systems Incorporated
This application is helping a lot in regression testing. If something in the application breaks, we get to know about it quickly, and this saves us time.

What is most valuable?

Object Browser is one of very powerful tool TestComplete provide which can see what processes are running in the memory.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

There

My team has been using it for three years, and I've been using it for one-and-a-half years.

Not at all. The framework was already in place with my team.

Customer Service: It's very good. Technical Support: It's very good.

Which solution did I use previously and why did

Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
It is similar to other tools like Selenium IDE where you can record and play test scripts. There is no support for mobile testing automation.
Systems Test Manager at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The latest version can be used for mobile testing, but more effective object mapping for Citrix systems is needed.

What other advice do I have?

Fig 1: Building of Automation Testing framework. Fig 2: Automation Testing Results
Project Lead at Aspire Systems
A test automation project and all its value additions and work arounds are hosted on a Test Automation framework. It is tedious to monitor the progress since the logs are available only in the tool.
Authored by Sabhari Murugan and Ujwal Unni from Aspire Systems Testing Community. Overview Software Quality is dependent on Test Automation for its ability to provide vast coverage with least possible resource. Having said that, automation has its own overhead and maintenance which requires additional effort. To reduce such additional effort, besides ensuring stability, robustness and increase the ROI - there are certain considerations to be focussed at different stages of the project. Here is an insight to such areas of considerations and how it can be dealt with ‘TestComplete’ – a potential test automation tool. What is TestComplete? Started as a tool that is preferred for Test Automation of Desktop applications, today TestComplete is one of the top…
it_user347607
Technical Leader at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
I was part of a systems architecture team and we were looking into various kinds of automation tools. We found this solution to be the most complete tool.

Valuable Features

It allows me to invoking an application and then to browse the application. I've done some good research with TestComplete along with Google Earth.

Improvements to My Organization

Room for Improvement

More APIs could be added.

Use of Solution

I used it for six months.

I didn't encounter any stability issues in my short tenure, although I remember invoking the application twice although there is was an instance already open.

Customer Service: I haven't had to use customer service. Technical Support: I haven't had to use technical support. …
Mobile QA Tester at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
It's enabled us to automate a lot of our tests for Android devices.

Valuable Features

I found the Keyword Test feature very valuable. Even with my limited programming knowledge, I was able to create automation tests using the Keyword Test feature. Also, the ability to create image based tests was extremely helpful, especially when automating tests for mobile devices.

Improvements to My Organization

TestComplete has enabled us to automate a lot of our tests for Android devices.

Use of Solution

I've used it for three months.

I would rate it 10/10. Every time I had a question or issue I couldn’t figure out, they were right there to help.

Set-up was pretty straightforward.

Implementation Team

We implemented it through an in-house team.
it_user340986
Senior QA Analyst at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
It helps to organize test runs using the Test Items page of the project editor.

Valuable Features

Data driven testing using Microsoft Excel Viewing properties of objects using Object Spy Organizing test runs using the Test Items page of the project editor

Use of Solution

For versions 8.X to 9.20.2460.7, I've been using TestComplete for about four and a half years.

It seems to crash once every two to three months.

Customer Service: 7/10 Technical Support: 7/10

For a node-locked license, it's pretty straightforward. For floating licenses, it's a little more complex because you have to set-up the license manager and do a little bit of configuration on the computers that use the floating licenses.
it_user340989
Quality Assurance Specialist at a tech vendor with 201-500 employees
It has saved time by eliminating the need for manual testing. It's also led to the discovery of bugs that wouldn't have been found otherwise.
it_user340992
Test Automation Specialist at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
It gives us the option to work in the same suite without changing from one project to another.
Haiping Gong
QA Automation Manager at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
We use it to do the automation test on our product’s web UI. In total, over 500 test cases are written and the automation coverage is over 80%.
it_user341001
Junior ASP/.Net Developer at a construction company with 501-1,000 employees
Its environment exposes a significant portion of its functionality to the command line, where execution details can be left to .bat files or Windows Scripts.

What other advice do I have?

My advice in regards to implementation would be to choose carefully which tests to automate, specifically focusing on lengthy procedures, tasks that require looping, or places where you want to test against multiple data sets. Additionally, I found it beneficial to prefix my keyword tests with a character and number to provide logical ordering instead of alphabetic. I also found it beneficial to record "undo" steps with each keyword test; this allows each test to be more stand-alone and prevents your test from being dependent on the state the previous test left the application in. Finally, I…
Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
The automation module helped us save time in regression tests, but we needed to perform adjustments on our systems to get it to fit in.

What other advice do I have?

Check the price and compare to other available tools in the market and decide select the one best fits the needs.
it_user69072
QA Manager at Airpush India Pvt Ltd
Automation testing using TestComplete
For more than a year, I've been working on automation of functional testing, regression testing using TestComplete. It's a paid automation tool. It's an little tricky to learn and use but quite similar to Selenium. You can use xpath, record and play to script test cases. Pros: - Similar to Selenium IDE, you can record and play test scripts - Similar to Selenium webdriver, you can create test scripts in VBScript, JScript, DelphiScript, C++Script or C#Script. (personally, I liked VBScript) - Test results logs helps in finding precisely the issue where test failed - Tests can be recorded in keyword driven or screen capture modes - Tests can be created for regression, functional, DDT (data driven testing), ODT(object driven testing), and so on - Can easily do…
it_user327474
QA Automation Engineer at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
We can test our applications manually for a full 48 hours continuously, but it lacks its own log viewer.
Sr. Software Quality Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
We're able to perform NPAPI test runs on Chrome, but the ExtJS extension and reading of JQuery standard modal screens is still not so good.
it_user323649
QA Team Lead at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
It supports .Net, but it needs to have templates of tests from scratch.

What is most valuable?

Good IDE Support of third party controls Flexible in coding Supports .Net assemblies Good community

How has it helped my organization?

It's decreased the time needed for the regression testing cycle.

What needs improvement?

Memory consumption Speed of interaction with controls Sets of prepared libraries like asserts Templates of tests from scratch

I've used TestComplete for three years.

It's stable.

It's good, I like the support.

Previously was QTP. TestComplete is much more flexible light,and easy to use.

It's…
it_user324366
QA Engineer at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
It’s got flexible logging capabilities, but needs implementation of screen recording during testing.

What other advice do I have?

Focus on implementing a test automation framework. Start by downloading a free evaluation trial version of the product, and see if the product works well with the application(s) you want to design an automated test frame for.
it_user323895
Team Lead at a tech vendor with 501-1,000 employees
It has a unified way of finding and manipulating controls from different vendors on different platforms, though it lacks support for different web UI frameworks and V8.
it_user323742
Test Automation Engineer at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
MSP
It has helped significantly improve and speed up regression testing, although it could be improved with cross-platform testing (Linux, MacOS).
it_user323700
Assistant Lecturer at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
We're able to create test inputs with tens of thousands of fields, but it crashes or hangs at times.
it_user323592
Software Engineer at a manufacturing company with 51-200 employees
It has allowed us to make significant product changes, new server deployments, and hosting changes with high confidence.
Quality Assurance Practice Leader with 51-200 employees
It reduced the regression timeline for a complex AUT, but there's an issue object mapping related to the need to modularize the test script code.
it_user303108
Application Support Specialist at a logistics company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It provides for automated testing, helps to install plugins and extensions, and we use it as a data-driven testing and debugging tool, but I've only used the free-trial period so far.

What is most valuable?

Possibility of the automated testing, installing plugins and extensions, data-driven testing & de-bugger.

How has it helped my organization?

I’ve used it only as a free 30-days trial and I'm not sure of how our company is using it.

What needs improvement?

I’m not a specialized tester and I’ve used it just for some private tests and have found in it what I was looking for.

I've used it for 3 years.

I've not had issues with deploying it.

I've had no issues with stability.

I've had no issues with scalability.

How are customer service and

it_user295749
Quality Assurance Automation Development Engineer at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
I would like to see improved language support, but it allows me to input parameters without having to write a quick VB script around it to try it.
Assistant Manager - Quality Control at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
I'm able to automate functional test cases which I previously did manually, but I've come across difficulties in recognizing dynamically-generated runtime objects.

Valuable Features:

Dynamic Find methods FindChild FindAllChildren FindAll Keys method Project variables Time delay methods

Improvements to My Organization:

It helped to automate all the possible functional test cases which I previously used to do by manual testing.

Room for Improvement:

I have used it for Web Application automation and sometimes find difficulties while recognizing dynamically-generated runtime object.
it_user294939
Test Engineering Team Leader at a consultancy with 501-1,000 employees
After installation, I was able to immediately begin coding regression test for available functionality.
Mobile QA Developer at a tech vendor
It provides direct access to object internal properties and methods, but scripting languages should be extended to support more popular programming languages.
it_user293901
Principal Software Engineer - Automation at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Our testing team can spend more time testing new features, but there often are issues with web test execution.
QA Automation Engineer with 501-1,000 employees
A versatile tool for developing and executing automated test suites.
Whereas we did regressions and Smoke manually in the past, we now do automated testing. However, Intellisense demos do not work on methods in the classes.