Schedule a 30-minute demo or reference call with a real user from the PeerSpot community. Available only to members that are in a buying process for this product and have contributed a review that's then published.

Smartsheet OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Smartsheet is #8 ranked solution in top Project Portfolio Management tools and #14 ranked solution in top Project Management Software. IT Central Station users give Smartsheet an average rating of 8 out of 10. Smartsheet is most commonly compared to JIRA Portfolio:Smartsheet vs JIRA Portfolio. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 22% of all views.
What is Smartsheet?

Smartsheet is the enterprise platform for dynamic work. A leading cloud-based platform for work management, Smartsheet empowers organizations and teams to dynamically plan, execute, and report on work at scale, resulting in more efficient processes, innovative solutions, and better business outcomes.

Today over 90% of Fortune 100 companies and over 75% of Fortune 500 companies rely on the secure, scalable Smartsheet platform to connect the entire enterprise. The single Smartsheet platform gives people a solution flexible enough to adapt to the changing needs of dynamic work across a broad array of departments and use cases.

Download the Project Portfolio Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Smartsheet Customers

Sony Music, ESPN, Hilton, Unisource, Colliers, Extreme Networks, Groupon, Netflix

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Smartsheet pricing:
  • "Its licensing is on a yearly basis. I was responsible for negotiating the price with the Smartsheet team, but I don't remember what the price was. Its standard license probably was around 5,000 to 6,000 a year. The enterprise version is significantly more expensive."
  • "This licensing is straightforward and they charge per user."

Smartsheet Reviews

VN
Senior PM / Scrum Master at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Powerful, integrates with a lot of tools, and does a really good job of creating Gantt charts

• "Smartsheet does a really good job of creating Gantt charts. Export to Excel feature was also very useful."
  • "The fact that you can have different access groups is definitely a pro for Smartsheet. It also has the ability to integrate with a lot of tools."
  • "The downside of Smartsheet is that there are some security concerns. We were able to restrict people from sharing sheets with anyone who was not in our domain, but it could be easier. We also found it hard to restrict certain user groups from adding attachments to sheets."
  • "It already has a really powerful Export to Excel feature, but it can have an Excel add-on. The way to set up single sign-on wasn't too easy in the beginning, and it was hard to get hold of customer service. They should make it easier to set up SSO. Smartsheet's customer service also definitely needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

I use it to collect the status of various projects. Before we moved to Agile, a lot of us used it for project planning. In the PMO, I created a master list of all the projects in the company and basically just started compiling statistics on them, such as the project managers assigned to each project, what sprint they were in, and things like that. We are using its enterprise version.

What is most valuable?

The Gantt chart feature was incredibly useful. Smartsheet does a really good job of creating Gantt charts. Before moving to Agile, a lot of us used it for project planning. We basically used it to create a project plan, and we were able to add Gantt charts just like Microsoft Project.

Export to Excel feature was also very useful. I used it to export to Excel and gather project status. I also used it to customize forms and collect project status and other information from users. Basically, I used it very much like Excel, except it is way more robust.

The fact that you can have different access groups is definitely a pro for Smartsheet. It also has the ability to integrate with a lot of tools. You can integrate it with other major tools like Jira and Microsoft Teams, which is incredibly useful.

What needs improvement?

The downside of Smartsheet is that there are some security concerns. Security is quite good
with the enterprise version, but there are some loopholes. It should be easier to restrict the users within the organization from sharing sheets outside of the domain. We were able to restrict people from sharing sheets with anyone who was not in our domain, but it could be easier. We also found it hard to restrict certain user groups from adding attachments to sheets. We have analytical groups in our company who should not be allowed to add attachments because they can attach sensitive information, which is something we don't want. The ability to prevent certain features of Smartsheet for a user group is not there. I couldn't find a way to do that. This is where there is room for improvement.

It already has a really powerful Export to Excel feature, but it can have an Excel add-on. It can have something just like an Excel integration or something that would make it easier for people who aren't really familiar with Smartsheet but are more familiar with Excel.

The sign-in process was actually confusing. The way to set up single sign-on wasn't too easy in the beginning, and it was hard to get hold of customer service. They should make it easier to set up SSO.

Smartsheet's customer service definitely needs to be improved. They create a ticket, and then it disappears. It is very hard to understand to whom that ticket is assigned.

I have been using it for almost three years.

It is 100% stable. It probably went down only once or twice in the last almost three years.

I don't know about scalability, but it has the ability to integrate with a lot of tools. We have integrated it with Microsoft Teams and Jira. These are the two most powerful integrations that are helping it scale. The fact that you can integrate it with other major tools like Jira and Microsoft Teams is incredibly useful. The Microsoft Teams integration is very useful because if a certain project manager or a scrum master is required to enter a status for their project, they receive an instant message in their Microsoft Teams inbox. This is a really nice feature.

In terms of the number of users, we have 5,000 people, and only a fraction of those people use it. We have around 2,000 users. The security concern is the reason why a large portion of them aren't allowed to use it.

Smartsheet's customer service definitely needs to be improved. It has been a few months since I've talked to them. They're easy to get ahold of, but it has been the general consensus in our company that they create a ticket, and then it disappears. It is very hard to understand to whom that ticket is assigned. Their customer service definitely needs to improve, but for the most part, it has definitely improved over the past year since I've used it.

Its initial setup was extremely straightforward. It is very easy to use in terms of the learning curve.

Its licensing is on a yearly basis. I was responsible for negotiating the price with the Smartsheet team, but I don't remember what the price was. Its standard license probably was around 5,000 to 6,000 a year. The enterprise version is significantly more expensive.

We did not really evaluate other options. We use Microsoft Project, and we tried using Jira for a project management solution. Now that we're fully Agile, we don't really have the need for project plans, but we still use Smartsheet.

What other advice do I have?

It is a really robust tool, and it has really improved. They've improved its user interface a lot. Before using this tool, I would advise evaluating the size of your organization and your security needs. If you don't have too many people using Smartsheet, or if you have less than 50 licensed people, it is completely acceptable to go with the standard implementation. It isn't at all bad for a small startup in terms of pricing. Similarly, if there isn't really a huge need for security, you don't need to go with the enterprise version. It is significantly more expensive. Because we're a fairly large organization compared to startups, we went with the enterprise solution, which provides a slew of features. It is more than okay to go with the basic version of it.

I would rate Smartsheet an eight out of ten. There are some small flaws, but it is definitely a very powerful tool.

Andrea Bracken
KM Manager and Compliance Officer at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
Is intuitive with a good interface; constantly improving

• "The solution has subtasks and a rollup."
  • "They provide a limited number of sheets which is not enough."

What is our primary use case?

I use Smartsheet for my own personal task management needs and occasionally I'll share a sheet with somebody in the company when we're working on a particular project together. I tend to use it more for my ongoing long-term projects rather than for day-to-day needs. I'm a customer of Smartsheet and a KM manager and compliance officer.

What is most valuable?

I like that the solution has subtasks and a rollup. It has a pretty good interface and it's intuitive. I use it for personal things and I like it even though I have company products that I could use. Smartsheet is worth it for me. They're constantly making improvements and adding things.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to have access to more sheets, and I don't know if this relates to the price I'm paying or that the product needs improvement, but they limit the number of sheets and it's not enough. I think it's around 10 and I've reached capacity. I think it's a little chintzy on what you get for that kind of money and any individual using it would want more than 10 sheets.

I've been using this solution for about five years.

There are no issues with stability. I like that they seem to be constantly improving. I don't really make use of all their improvements, but I know it is improving and that they are adding things all the time. In my situation, through the company, I have access to features that they're adding and I tend to use them through the company solutions. Take web forms, for example, I know Smartsheet has web forms, which is a good thing to have but I use the company product for that.

I'm not sure about scalability and I don't think it's meant to be a business account. I think it's meant for individual use.

I previously used Outlook extensively but when I looked into Smartsheet it worked better than Outlook for my purposes.

The initial setup was very easy, straightforward and intuitive. At the time I deployed Smartsheet, I hadn't worked with any project management software or task management and setup wasn't a problem.

I have the basic paid license, which is pretty pricey. I think it's $17 a month. For that kind of money, I'd like more sheets. You can upgrade and pay more, whether it's to a higher personal account or a business account, I'm not sure. Because I'm using it independently of the company, I don't want to pay more.

What other advice do I have?

I think it's a solution that's definitely worth looking into. I don't know what the cost would be in terms of deploying for a business. And I'm also not sure how it stacks up to other solutions, but I think for unlimited use or even for an enterprise company, it's definitely worth having a look at. I'm not a frequent user but I use it for particular use cases. I don't log on every day, only when I need access to what I've stored there. I tend to store more long-term ongoing-type tasks as opposed to limited projects.

I rate the solution eight out of 10.

Find out what your peers are saying about Smartsheet, Microsoft, ServiceNow and others in Project Portfolio Management. Updated: November 2021.
554,873 professionals have used our research since 2012.
NR
Senior Project Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Scalable, user-friendly, and integrates well with Microsoft, but the dashboard needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

It works similar to Microsoft Project. The data integration with Microsoft Project and Smartsheet can be imported, and we can export it.  It's good for the hybrid model, especially for the Agile model.

What is most valuable?

It's very user friendly.

What needs improvement?

The dashboard is not user-friendly, it needs improvement. There are many backgrounds that have to be in place to make it user-friendly.

I have been using Smartsheet for two years. We are using the latest version.

It's scalable. We have 20 users in our organization. Our use of this solution is dependant on our customers, whether or not they want to use it.

How are customer

What is our primary use case?

It's good for the hybrid model, especially for the Agile model.

What is most valuable?

It's very user friendly.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Smartsheet for two years.

We are using the latest version.

It's scalable. We have 20 users in our organization.

Technical support is good.

The initial setup is very easy and straightforward.

It takes anywhere from two to three hours to deploy.

We had the cloud servers helping with the deployment.

We have 20 user licenses and we have used it.

This licensing is straightforward and they charge per user. It's a cloud basis per user.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution, but Jira and Conference are better for Agile methodology.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Download our free Project Portfolio Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about Smartsheet, Microsoft, ServiceNow, and more!