PC
Sr. Solution Architect at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Great features with excellent virtual warehousing and good architecture

• "For us, the virtual warehousing is likely the most valuable aspect."
  • "I would like to see a client version of the GUI."

What is our primary use case?

We're running a POC to test scalability, performance, on-demand resource management, workload management, et cetera. The security aspect will also be important for us.

What is most valuable?

The product offers a lot of great features.

Architectural-wise, it's got great architecture. That's what we are looking for. It's kind of decoupled from storage and has virtual warehouses. We like that we can travel and keep things virtual. For us, the virtual warehousing is likely the most valuable aspect. You can spin up as many virtual warehouses that you want. That's quite useful as a feature.

What needs improvement?

I haven't found that the solution is lacking any features. It's quite complete.

I would like to see a client version of the GUI. Right now, it is a web GUI, which has stored the SQL, the worksheets. We are asking for that from Snowflake. We'd like to understand how can we save these worksheets on our local desktop. That is not there at this point.

I've been using the solution for about the past year as part of a POC.

In the past, we've used an SQL server. On the cloud side of it, we do have some experience. Snowflake, however, is the new data warehouse solution that we are looking into it.

If necessary, we may have to get into Synapse, and do a kind of a pilot project with that as well. We may evaluate them both to see which is better. We are not there yet. We are just working on Snowflake.

What other advice do I have?

We are a direct customer and end-user.

We've been using the solution during a POC for the last year or so. It's a pilot project to test its feasibility for our company. We're just starting to get performance stats and stuff like that.

I'm not sure which version of the solution we are currently using. I don't recall the exact version number. Usually, people are running the latest version. Whatever the latest available option is is likely the number we are on.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. We're still in the POC phase, however, based on what we have seen, we are quite satisfied.

Hybrid Cloud

Microsoft Azure
NitinKumar
Engineering Manager at Sigmoid
Automatically scales as needed and supports JSON, XML, and Parquet files

• "Working with Parquet files is support out of the box and it makes large dataset processing much easier."
  • "If we can have a feature where the results can be moved to different tabs, so that I can compare the results with earlier queries before applying the changes, it would be great."

What is our primary use case?

We have used Snowflake as a data warehouse solution in one of my projects and as a combination of data lake and DWH for another project.

In the second project, we migrated from a SQL DB to Snowflake as the DB was becoming a bottleneck in terms of storage and also in speed of execution of the queries as the data was growing. We also have JSON, which is hard to store and process in a SQL database. This is something that is handled beautifully by Snowflake.

In the first project, we used Snowflake as a simple DWH to store and process data. Also, as a BI reporting source.

How has it helped my organization?

Snowflake helped us to improve query performance as the data was growing. Also, we could store and process JSON and XML using Snowflake, which was not possible with RDBMS solutions. This also helped us to store huge amounts of data in Snowflake as a single source of truth and we could also use it as DWH. It is a single technology for multiple use cases.

Snowflake also helped us improve query performance to a great extent. The inserts of large JSON objects are very quick and processing them is very easy.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are:

1. The Virtual Warehouse and separate storage is definitely one of the best features. It automatically scales the warehouse up and down as per the usage.
  2. Processing semi-structured data like JSON and XML has helped reduce a lot of coding that was needed earlier.
  3. The speed of execution is definitely good.
  4. There is zero maintenance activity required from users on the database, which is a big plus.
  5. Working with Parquet files is supported out of the box and it makes large dataset processing much easier.
  6. Automatic scaling up and down.

What needs improvement?

Several areas need to be improved, as follows:

1. Cost reduction: This is always good to have, and nobody would say no to it.
  2. Implement multiple result windows as tabs to compare results. If we can have a feature where the results can be moved to different tabs, so that I can compare the results with earlier queries before applying the changes, it would be great. Also, it should be optional, where it can be enabled or disabled as needed.
  3. I would like to be able to copy the results onto the clipboard and paste them directly into Excel.

We have been using Snowflake for two years.

Learn what your peers think about Snowflake. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,586 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AB
Technology & Innovation at a consultancy with 201-500 employees
Reasonably-priced, scalable, and the technical support is good

• "The technical support is pretty good, particularly if you are a more technical user."
  • "Every product has room for improvement, although in this case, it needs some broadening of the functionality."

What is our primary use case?

We are a management consulting firm and do not use this product for ourselves. Rather, it is a service for our clients.

What is most valuable?

The overall package is quite nice, and there is not one specific feature that I have found more valuable than the others.

The vendor is quite willing to implement requests for development, in particular for larger clients. It is a nice company to work with.

What needs improvement?

Every product has room for improvement, although in this case, it needs some broadening of the functionality. They could become more complete.

Including more AI functionality would be nice. Microsoft does have more in this regard, although that also has to do with the size of the company.

We have been using Snowflake for a couple of years.

Snowflake is a stable product.

This is definitely a scalable solution.

The technical support is pretty good, particularly if you are a more technical user. The people they have are quite technical, so compared to a lot of other companies where you first get somebody on the phone who has never seen the product, but he or she just works at the center and has to answer the first calls, if you connect with Snowflake, you immediately get somebody who is actually at the proper level.

It also means that if you have less experienced users, it's not that they find it difficult, but then they may get some questions to resolve the issue, which they don't really know the answer to. Sometimes, users may find themselves a bit lost because they don't know how to answer those questions. However, it's not in a negative way. It's more like you get a proper engineer to respond to your issues with Snowflake.

The price of Snowflake is quite reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

Personally, if I have the choice, I would rather recommend Snowflake to my clients over a product from Microsoft, for example. They have some overlapping functionality, but they also have some separate stuff. Snowflake does not have the size to develop at that pace but personally, I find them a more sympathetic company than Microsoft.

Tom Bruce
Co-founder & Delivery Lead at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
An extremely stable and easy-to-set-up solution with valuable features like cloning and data sharing

• "The cloning functionality has been the most valuable. I have been able to completely copy databases. The data sharing concept is also useful. As compared to, for example, SAP, Snowflake is a lot more open, and it allows a lot more connectivity for other providers than an SAP ecosystem."
  • "It needs a bit more rigor and governance, which is something you don't get with newer tools. This makes it less enterprise scalable. Its governance and structure can be enhanced, which would really be valuable. I would like to see some kind of prebuilt functionality in terms of having almost like a pre-built data warehouse. A functionality for generating automated kind of pieces would be good."

What is our primary use case?

I work for a company that are Snowflake partners and help clients implement solutions using Snowflake.

How has it helped my organization?

Snowflake solves many of the challenges that traditional data warehousing tools have such as a lack of agility, scalability and fine-tuning.

What is most valuable?

The use of micropartitions and metadata means that there is very little management needed and the user can focus purely on actually getting value out of their data. In addition, the cloning feature makes problem resolution and cutover extremely pain-free.

What needs improvement?

Whilst flexibility is one of its key strengths, it would be useful if there could be some better governance built into the product. In addition, functionality out of the box to deal with common data warehousing scenarios (e.g. slowly-changing dimensions etc.) would be great.

I have been using Snowflake for about a year and a half.

It is extremely stable.

The support from Snowflake is absolutely great. All kinds of content and things are available to support yourself as well as to be able to talk through issues and have their engineers take a look at the problems. They are very responsive.

We use Snowflake alongside other data warehousing tools. Ultimately it depends on what the client wants to implement and their existing architecture as to what would be the best choice.

The initial setup is very straightforward.

Snowflake has a very efficient pricing mechanism where you only pay for what you use by the second making it very easy to control costs.

What other advice do I have?

The best advice I would give is to push for a POC. Pick a couple of use cases where you think you could quickly get value and just see how quickly you can get it implemented. One of the key features of Snowflake is that you can get it up and running straight away.

KG
Associate Manager at a consultancy with 501-1,000 employees
A secure and fast solution with inbound and outbound share features and good integrations

• "Its performance is a big advantage. When you run a query, its performance is very good. The inbound and outbound share features are also very useful for sharing a particular database. By using these features, you can allow others to access the Snowflake database and query it, which is another advantage of this solution. It has good security, and we can easily integrate it. We can connect it with multiple source systems."
  • "I am still in the learning stage. It has good security, but it can always be more secure."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for our security products. We have a trial account, and we are using the trial database and practicing on top of it. We have the latest version of this solution.

What is most valuable?

Its performance is a big advantage. When you run a query, its performance is very good.

The inbound and outbound share features are also very useful for sharing a particular database. By using these features, you can allow others to access the Snowflake database and query it, which is another advantage of this solution.

It has good security, and we can easily integrate it. We can connect it with multiple source systems.

What needs improvement?

I am still in the learning stage. It has good security, but it can always be more secure.

I have been using this solution for a few months. I am in the learning stage.

It is stable. Its performance is very good.

It is scalable. We have four users who are using Snowflake.

We are going through the online version, and we don't find any difficulty with this.

I also use Azure. Snowflake has more advantages than Azure.

There is no installation as such. After you register with Snowflake, you get a demo database, which you can configure and use. It only takes around 30 minutes.

I did it myself.

Currently, we have a trial account, so we don't need a license. After our project starts, we would need a permanent license.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. We plan to keep using it.

I would rate Snowflake a nine out of ten.

Private Cloud

Other
EK
Sr Lead Data & Information Architect at a pharma/biotech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Easy to use, flexible, and very stable

• "The solution is very easy to use."
  • "The solution needs more connectors."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used as a data warehouse.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very easy to use.

The product is very stable and flexible. The performance is good.

The product is quite scalable.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to offer more functionality related to machine learning and artificial intelligence.

The solution needs more connectors.

I've been using the solution for close to two years.

The solution is very stable and extremely reliable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. The performance is very good.

The scalability of the solution is very good. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so with ease.

We have about 100 people on the product currently.

Technical support overall has been good. They are helpful and responsive. We have no complaints.

I have some experience with Teradata.

There is no installation process, as it is run as software as a service on the cloud.

For deployment, I would say two to five people would be enough. It depends on the size of the project and can have from one person to 20 people supporting it. It really depends on the implementation. The people would likely be admins, engineers, and managers.

The product requires the purchase of an annual license.

Before choosing this solution, we looked at SQL Server and Teradata.

What other advice do I have?

We're customers and end-users.

We're using the latest version of the solution. I can't speak to the exact version number.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. We've been mostly very happy with its capabilities.

I'd recommend the solution to other users and companies.

YR
R&D Operations Manager at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
You can assign roles and responsibilities, limiting access to data

• "I like the idea that you can assign roles and responsibilities, limiting access to data."
  • "If you go with one cloud provider, you can't switch."

What is our primary use case?

We are a big data company. We have many thousands of devices deployed from our customer base. These devices upload data, on an hourly basis, to a central storage. Next, we run some ETF processes that crunch and process data, then we store that data in a structured way on Snowflake.

Over the past six months, it has been more of a development project.

I am using the latest version.

What is most valuable?

• I like the idea that you can assign roles and responsibilities, limiting access to data. That has been very interesting to us.
  • The robustness of the system is very useful to us.
  • The availability of the system.

What needs improvement?

We would like Snowflake to be able to do inter-cloud migrations. That would be great. I want to be able to switch clouds.

Six months.

It is stable.

If you go with one cloud provider, you can't switch.

We have very few users. There is just a very limited number who are mostly developers. We did not roll out the end product. We did not roll out product and services based on that foundation/infrastructure yet.

I have not personally contacted technical support.

We previously used HPE and Microsoft Insight. We switched to Snowflake for the availability, security, and loading times.

The initial setup was very straightforward. It was very quick. The complexity came from our specific use case scenario.

We also looked at HPE and Microsoft Insight.

What other advice do I have?

Analyze your user scenario. If your scenario is managing large amounts of data in extremely, different environments in a structured way, then this is a good option.

I would rate this solution as an eight (out of 10).

MS
ML Lead at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Well-distributed with different data engines, great stability and scalability, and easy to deploy

• "It is a very well-distributed system. It has different data engines for different applications. Many applications can use different computational engines at the same time. In terms of data processing, the feeling was similar to working with a relational database but in a scalable way."
  • "The scheduling system can definitely be better because we had to use external airflow for that. There should be orchestration for the scheduling system. Snowflake currently does not support machine learning, so it is just storage. They also need some alternatives for SQL Query. There should also be support for Spark in different languages such as Python."

What is our primary use case?

It was used in my previous company for a massive data warehouse. It was used for events and actions from other data sources. We had its latest version.

What is most valuable?

It is a very well-distributed system. It has different data engines for different applications. Many applications can use different computational engines at the same time. In terms of data processing, the feeling was similar to working with a relational database but in a scalable way.

What needs improvement?

The scheduling system can definitely be better because we had to use external airflow for that. There should be orchestration for the scheduling system. Snowflake currently does not support machine learning, so it is just storage.

They also need some alternatives for SQL Query. There should also be support for Spark in different languages such as Python.

I worked on it a lot in the past 12 months in my previous company.

Its stability is absolutely great. There are no problems with its stability.

It is scalable. There are no problems with the scalability of this solution. There were 50 or 60 users using it at the same time.

I don't have much experience with their technical support. When we asked them some technical questions related to Spark integration, they were quite supportive. Their support was fine.

I have used BigQuery on Google Cloud Platform and Spark on an internal cloud.

It was quite straightforward. There is no problem with that. However, managing the database and roles and access is complicated. Its deployment didn't take a long time.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Snowflake an eight out of ten.