Snowflake OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Snowflake is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Data Warehouse tools. It is most often compared to Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics: Snowflake vs Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics

What is Snowflake?

Snowflake provides a data warehouse built for the cloud, delivering a solution capable of solving problems for which legacy, on-premises and cloud data platforms were not designed.

Snowflake is also known as Snowflake Computing.

Snowflake Buyer's Guide

Download the Snowflake Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Snowflake Customers

Accordant Media, Adobe, Kixeye Inc., Revana, SOASTA, White Ops

Snowflake Video

Archived Snowflake Reviews (more than two years old)

DK
Data & Analytics Practitioner at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Could use better integration, but very stable with an easy initial setup

• "They separate compute and storage. You can scale storage independently of the computer, or you can scale computing independently of storage. If you need to buy more computer parts you can add new virtual warehouses in Snowflake. Similarly, if you need more storage, you take more storage. It's most scalable in the database essentially; typically you don't have this scalability independence on-premises."
  • "The solution should offer an on-premises version also. We have some requirements where we would prefer to use it as a template."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for data warehousing.

What is most valuable?

The entire managed service operations for the solution is great. Snowflake does everything for us. Whatever version they have, they implement the latest for us; we don't have to worry about any versions, any upgrades, anything else because they handle it.

What needs improvement?

The integration capabilities could be improved.

I've been using the solution for six months.

The solution has been very stable for us.

We have not tested scalability, but the solution claims that it's scalable. It's on the cloud, so I imagine you could scale rather easily if you needed to.

They separate compute and storage. You can scale storage independently of the computer, or you can scale computing independently of storage. If you need to buy more computer parts you can add new virtual warehouses in Snowflake. Similarly, if you need more storage, you take more storage. It's most scalable in the database essentially; typically you don't have this scalability independence on-premises.

We have about 40 people using the solution. They're mostly business users.

Technical support is good. Occasionally, they take a bit of time to resolve issues, but other than that they are okay. We're mostly satisfied with them.

We're system integrators, so we use different solutions including SQL Server Data Warehouse and Greenplum as well as Snowflake at the moment.

I've used many data warehouse solutions, including Hadoop, and Oracle SQL Server Data warehouses. I switched from those to Snowflake because Snowflake is on the cloud and gives you separate computing and storage scalability, which Hadoop is unable to offer.

The initial setup is straightforward. There's no deployment; it's just your code solution that needs to get up and running. You have a deal with Snowflake in terms of what environment you want, and when you want to use it, and they'll set it up within a day for you.

Snowflake helped us with the implementation.

What other advice do I have?

We are system integrators, so for all our customers, we offer different solutions.

We only use the cloud deployment model. Snowflake doesn't offer on-premises deployments.

Snowflake on cloud is the best right now. There are only a few other options. Redshift is not scalable. With SQL Data Warehouse the concurrency is an issue, as well as scalability. Also, it does not have all the features that you see in an on-premises SQL Server.

Snowflake a good database. I'd recommend the solution to others.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. We are still new to the solution. There are a few things we still have to explore before we would give it 10. Typically, I come from a Hadoop background, so compared to Hadoop I think everything looks good before the data warehouse side. We're quite pleased with Snowflake and moving from Hadoop into Snowflake has been a very good transformation.

Cesar AugustoSiado Leyva
Business Intelligence Consultant at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
A flexible solution with good clustering, and the pay-per-use feature is useful

• "The most valuable features are the clustering, LS50, being able to change the size, the pay per use feature, the flexibility with many different sources and analytic applications."
  • "Support needs improvement, as it can take several days before you get some initial support."

What is our primary use case?

We are an IT Analytic Consulting company and we work with many different products. We have Snowflake and a Snowflake account mainly for education purposes and our internal training.

We connected it to different sources, mainly internal sources. Most of them are on-premises and some are on the cloud.

The deployment model is public.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are:

The multi-clustering: being able to access stored data without contention.

Virtual Warehouse (VW) sizing: Change the size of your VW on demand.

Zero copy clone: Easy to create development and test environments.

What needs improvement?

I would like to have a tool where you can easily see the price because they need clarity of pricing.

Integration could be the key to provide an optimal solution.

In the near future, I would like to see a built-in basic analytics solution that can be embedded for testing purposes, so you can see data not only in tables but also in a graphical way in order to better prepare data for analytics.

Embedded analytics would be nice.

I have been using this solution for four months.

The scenarios that we are using are not complex. For what we are using it's pretty stable.

With a different cloud that warehouses are the standard for now but the scalability is pretty straightforward.

In terms of support, it can take some time as there are not many people to provide support. Compared to other more stable providers it's a bit slower.

You have to wait several days to get support.

Snowflake is not the only solution we are working with but it is the only solution that we are heavily focusing on and investing our efforts into the knowledge and the training.

The initial setup can be complex at the beginning but once you get into it, it can be straightforward.

When you come from an on-premises solution and you have to change or shift to the cloud, it works very differently. Once you know the differences then it is straightforward.

We did not implement this solution through a vendor, we did it ourselves.

Pricing can be confusing for customers. For example, if a customer is asking for an estimate of the price, it's hard to tell because it is not easy to measure.

Improvement on the pricing and how it is presented is needed.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest being careful with selecting resources. Each customer case can be completely different and each can require different resources.

It's not only the database itself but also how you integrate it with the analytics and the resources. The estimation of the resources is something that you have to pay a lot of attention to when selecting the resources because sometimes you will need EPL or ELT integration, which requires a tool, as does analytics.

For an end to end solution, you have to include other products.

Learn what your peers think about Snowflake. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
543,089 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Valai Gunapalan
Architect at Sony Corporation of America
Stable with good technical support, but the solution is expensive on longrun

• "As long as you don't need to worry about the storage or cost, this solution would be one of the best ones on the market for scalability purposes."
  • "There are some stored procedures that we've had trouble with. The solution also needs to fine-tune the connectors to be able to connect into the system source."

What is our primary use case?

Our aim was to migrate everything from on-premise, so we just migrated as it is and then we had issues. Some use cases that were running on-premises were not installed. We just went through each case and then finalized the issues with some of the packages that were not working or some users that were not getting what they were expecting. We did deep analysis on each and every case and then looked for options in Snowflake and are now working with the team to move everything over to Snowflake

What is most valuable?

The data warehouse is one of the great concepts of Snowflake. The coding plans are also a great feature. You can switch out the values or sizes.

What needs improvement?

It would be helpful if implementation could be handled more on the user-side. We need to train the users on best practices and how to use the solution properly. It's a cost issue. If they don't run it properly then it'll end up costing more money.

There are some stored procedures that we've had trouble with. The solution also needs to fine-tune the connectors to be able to connect into the system source.

I've been using the solution for one year.

The solution is stable. We had only one failure, but that was because of AWS issues. Beyond that, I haven't seen anything else. From the Snowflake side, within 10 minutes they reported the AWS issue. It was under two hours of downtime because of the quick response.

As long as you don't need to worry about storage or cost, this solution would be one of the best ones on the market for scalability purposes. We've migrated about 400-450 dealers onto the solution so far. We do intend to expand usage so there will be more users and more data. The drawbacks we've had with on-premises was space being a constraint and the user code having limitations.

Customer support is good. There is always someone who's going to respond. They will let you know what can be done and what is possible.

We did some testing and some comparisons, but it's all set up now and running fine. The deployment took about three months. Since we didn't want to disrupt the on-premises, or overload the system, we did most of the migrations on the weekend.

For maintenance, in the beginning, until you are through with training and performance tuning, you will need more people. You might need to start with seven or so, and then, for ongoing work, probably one or two people can manage it.

We had a Snowflake consultant on-site that assisted us with the implementation.

It's an expensive solution. We can't predict exactly how much until we've streamlined everything and the user requirements have been completed, but normally they charge on the storage, which depends upon the average storage amount used for the month.

We looked at IBM because it also has on-premise solutions. We also looked at Azure as well as AWS.

What other advice do I have?

Because most of the issues you come across can be dealt with on the user's sites, it's important to educate the users and understand their requirements.

The best advice I can give is to understand the product and to try to stick to what is required. From the business side, you need to monitor usage and monitor the space because of on-premises constraints. If it gets filled up then you will have to react. However, this solution is very scalable.

I would rate this solution between seven and eight out of ten. The solution still has some constraints that need to be addressed.

Data Sleek
Owner at a consultancy with 1-10 employees
User
A true elastic data warehouse where you can scale computing by just issuing a SQL query

What is our primary use case?

We use Snowflake for our data warehouse. Amazing product. Redshift cannot compete with a true elastic data warehouse where you can scale computing by just issuing a SQL query (increase computer power) and resizing it down or putting computing unit to sleep.

Snowflake has many more features:

When combined with Alooma, it's the best data integration system. No need for Talend and all these cumbersome tools.

How has it helped my organization?

We were able to implement the entire data eco-system in less than five months, from data integration, data warehousing, ELT, producing fact and dimensional tables, and finally reports.

What is most valuable?

• Computing unit is accessible via SQL: being able to turn them on or off as needed.
  • Snowpipe (ingesting data)
  • Looking back in time (being able to look at data in the past within a query)
  • No data warehouse management
  • Support for JSON.

The list is pretty long.

What needs improvement?

• Snowpipe auto-ingest should be automatic.
  • A better client UI or command line tool: I think SnowSQL is a little awkward.

Less than one year.

Excellent.

Excellent.

Used it at a previous company.

Yes. No hardware or server config is needed. Just create a user account.

In-house.

Very good.

Snowflake computing is very affordable. Less expensive than Redshift.

Yes. I looked at Redshift and Vertica.

Padmanesh NC
Big Data Solution Architect - Spatial Data Specialist at Sciera, Inc.

• "The distributed architecture of Snowflake has the capacity to process huge datasets faster and allows us to scale up and down according to our needs."
  • "Snowflake has to improve their spatial parts since it doesn't have much in terms of geo-spatial queries."

How has it helped my organization?

We were using MySQL and MongoDB for our regular operations but when we grew, we were forced to handle a huge number of datasets. We could have petabytes of data in and out on a regular basis. We struggled a lot to complete the operations in a timely manner. With Amazon Redshift, we gained a lot in terms of timing, as well as project completion. Even-through we are happy with Redshift, in terms of pricing and availability of nodes, I am more comfortable with Snowflake. Some of the scoring mechanism really works well in the distributed architecture of Snowflake.

What is most valuable?

• Scalability. This solution has the ability to load a huge number of datasets (I have experience with petabytes of data) and process them. Storage is not limited, and we can increase what we want.
  • Performance. The distributed architecture of Snowflake has the capacity to process huge datasets faster and allows us to scale up and down according to our needs.
  • Flexibility. This feature is helpful for the user to increase the node size and config depending on their need. There is no need to wait for hardware to be in place whenever we increase the dataset. Snowflake provides the option to increase the node or cluster size whenever required.
  • Multi-formatted accessibility. The Snowflake engine has the capability to read the following file formats: CSV, DELIMITER, FIXEDWIDTH, AVRO, JSON, BZIP2, GZIP, LZOP. The user can choose which format is best for their requirements.
  • Configuration. Even though its running in the AWS platform, it beats their platform product. I feel more flexible with this solution than I do with Redshift.
  • Snowpipe. Snowpipe is a better system to feed stream data to the Snowflake database.

What needs improvement?

Snowflake has to improve their spatial components since it doesn't have much in terms of geo-spatial queries.

It's really good. I am happy with the product and the service.

With Amazon Redshift, we gained a lot in terms of timing as well as project completion. Even through we are happy with Redshift, in terms of pricing and availability of nodes, I am more comfortable with Snowflake.

The initial setup of Snowflake is very simple and straightforward. We do not need to read or understand any of the technical documentation. It is a plug-and-play service or platform.

I have implemented this solution through an in-house team.

I can't directly convey ROI because we are not using only Snowflake. We are using multiple products to increase our revenue and decrease time consumption. This makes it difficult to calculate ROI.

I have experience working in Hadoop & Redshift as well. When I compare the three (Snowflake, Hadoop, and Redshift), Snowflake is more user-friendly in terms of configuration and maintenance.