RomanZelenko
User

• "It has an accurate database of vulnerabilities with a low amount of false positives."
  • "The documentation sometimes is not relevant. It does not cover the latest updates, scanning, and configurations. The documentation for some things is wrong and does not cover some configuration scannings for the multiple project settings."

What is our primary use case?

Talking about the current situation in our security posture, we decided to choose a platform which could help us to improve our Security Development Lifecycle process. We needed a product that could help us mitigate some risks related to the security side of open source frameworks, libraries, licenses, and IT configuration. We were interested in a solution that could also utilize Docker images that we are using for the deployment. In general, we were interested in a vulnerability scanner platform for performance scans to deliver and calculate our risks related to code development.

How has it helped my organization?

We have integrated it with our infrastructure, collecting images from there, and performing regular scans. We also integrated it with our back-end in version control systems.

Sometime ago, we deployed a new product based on web technologies. It was a new app for us. From the beginning, we integrated Snyk's code scannings that the product is based on. Before the production deployment, we checked the code base of Snyk, and this saved us from the deployment with the image of the solution where there were some spots of high severity. This saved us from high, critical vulnerabilities which could be exploited in the future, saving us from some risks.

It helps find issues quickly because:

1. All the code changes go through the pipeline.
  2. All new changes will be scanned.
  3. All the results will be delivered.

This is about the integration. However, if we're talking about local development, developers can easily run Snyk without any difficulties and get results very quickly.

It is one of the most accurate databases on the market, based on multiple open source databases. It has some good correlation and verifications about findings from the Internet. We are very happy on this front.

The solution’s container security feature allows developers to own security for the applications and containers they run in in the cloud. They can mitigate the vulnerabilities in the beginning of the solution's development. We can correlate the vulnerabilities in our base images and fix the base image, which can influence multiple services that we provide.

What is most valuable?

We see that they are continuously working on the Kubernetes security and platform security checking. This is interesting for us, because we are an enterprise customer, and all of these features are made available for us.

The container security feature provides good actionable advice for points of integration.

What needs improvement?

The documentation sometimes is not relevant. It does not cover the latest updates, scanning, and configurations. The documentation for some things is wrong and does not cover some configuration scannings for the multiple project settings. For example, sometimes the code base condition is consistent on multiple modules. It's kept on different frameworks and packet managers. This requires Snyk to configure it with a custom configuration from the scan. From this point of view, the documentation is unclear. We will sometimes open enterprise tickets for them to update it and provide us specific things for the deployment and scanning.

There is no feature that scans, duplicates it findings, and puts everything into one thing.

The communication could sometimes be better. During the PoC and onboarding processes, we received different suggestions versus what is documented on the official site. For example, we are using Bitbucket as a GitHub system for our code, especially for Snyk configurations. The official web page provides the way to do this plugin configuration. However, if we talk about doing direct connection with our managers from Snyk, they suggested another way.

We have been using this product for five months.

The product is sometimes unstable.

There aren't any limitations because we are using it as a SaaS platform. As an enterprise customer, we can create teams and additional projects as well as involve additional people. These things can easily be covered for our entire business.

We currently have 20 developers who use it.

We are planning to increase usage based on the things that Snyk can provide us, like Kubernetes security. I would rate our adoption rate at a seven out of 10.

Our enterprise success manager from Snyk has open discussions with us. We have been with Snyk at meetings and webinars with our engineers. Documentation for scanning on the developer side is clear and good. We don't have any concerns from our development team that it is difficult or unclear. Everything is good on this point.

It has poor support sometimes for the Scala language when running scans of the official Docker images from Snyk. Scala is a part of the Java framework. We need to customize it and built our own Snyk images. The platform provide the images, but the execution is too long.

Their customer success management is an eight out of 10, because every enterprise ticket should go to general support initially.

I would rate the first line of support as a six out of 10, but their technical site engineers who help us are an eight out of 10.

We did not previously use another solution in this company.

The initial setup was not complex; it was easy for us. I thought the configuration guidelines offer a clear way for integration with registries, where we are hosting our Docker images. It was easy to integrate with Docker platforms for the SoC configuration, which was done in one working day. This was very fast.

The documentation of installation (for the scanner on endpoints for development) was clear. We quickly checked all our inbox code. All of the processes of enrollment were clear and fast.

The initial setup took one month. Our deployment is still going on.

Its enterprise support is a very good feature. This helped us to enforce processes faster.

Our implementation strategy is based on suggestions from the product managers and success managers from Snyk. In general, we are going to collect all of the vulnerabilities and findings as soon as possible to aggregate the results and mitigate the false positives. This is to correlate the results of a licensed check-in and create our own policies for future detections.

For part of the configurations, we needed help from Snyk because sometimes the documentation is wrong. It can also be unstable, so we cannot integrate the scannings with an unknown error. In these cases, we conduct our enterprise support to help out. It does requires us to contact support regularly.

It will probably be a year before we see value from the Snyk platform.

Snyk has reduced the amount of time it takes to find problems by 30 to 40 percent.

The price is good. Snyk had a good price compared to the competition, who had higher pricing than them. Also, their licensing and billing are clear.

We have multiple language service platforms based on different language scopes. We were interested in a platform which could cover all of the languages that we are using. We are a mobile-first application, so we were interested in the iOS and Android code and having back-end services that could be deployed via different languages. Another aspect was checking Docker images for vulnerabilities, using Gartner investigation and market research, and applying my personal experience in this niche (Security Development Lifecycle).

We had a comparison between several vendors, like Aqua Security, Snyk, and Qualys. In general, Snyk was the only solution that had a Docker scan aspect to it. It also offered us open scan for vulnerabilities. For this reason, we chose Snyk. It covers not only continuous scanning, but also provides the license scanning and open source scanning from the box. While there are lot of open source products on the market who offers this capability, Snyk aggregates all these features in one place.

If I had to go through the process of choosing a platform for our company again, I would chose Snyk.

What other advice do I have?

Check the following before using Snyk:

• Your language frameworks and whether Snyk can cover them.
  • The specific packet managers that your are using.
  • How Snyk performs with all your platforms, not just the main part. Gauge the difficulty.

Check the solution for all your language specifics. We have had some interesting projects where the default configuration does not work. Before using such products, you should check it in the most complex projects that you have.

Based on all our products, including Snyk, we have seen a 50 percent reduction in the amount of time it takes to fix problems.

The feedback: It's a very interesting solution. It is clear what we are using it for and how we should use it. However, if we are talking about the interest from our developers, then the solution was evaluated as a medium. This is because of its readiness for implementation and adoption process.

I would rate this solution as an eight or nine out of 10.

AG
Information Security Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Saves time and increases developer productivity, but we struggle a bit due to a lack of documentation

• "Snyk has given us really good results because it is fully automated. We don't have to scan projects every time to find vulnerabilities, as it already stores the dependencies that we are using. It monitors 24/7 to find out if there are any issues that have been reported out on the Internet."
  • "They were a couple of issues which happened because Snyk lacked some documentation on the integration side. Snyk is lacking a lot of documentation, and I would like to see them improve this. This is where we struggle a bit. For example, if something breaks, we can't figure out how to fix that issue. It may be a very simple thing, but because we don't have the proper documentation around an issue, it takes us a bit longer."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Snyk to find the vulnerabilities inside dependencies. It is one of the best tool in the market for this.

How has it helped my organization?

It is pretty easy and straightforward to use because integration won't take more than 15 minutes to be honest. After that, developers don't have to do anything. Snyk automatically monitors their projects. All they need to do is wait and see if any vulnerabilities have been reported, and if yes, how to fix those vulnerability.

So far, Snyk has given us really good results because it is fully automated. We don't have to scan projects every time to find vulnerabilities, as it already stores the dependencies that we are using. It monitors 24/7 to find out if there are any issues that have been reported out on the Internet.

Whenever Snyk reports to us about a vulnerability, it always reports to us the whole issue in detail:

• What is the issue.
  • What is the fix.
  • What version we should use.

E.g., if upgrading to a new version may break an application, developers can easily understand the references and details that we receive from Snyk regarding what could break if we upgrade the version.

The solution allows our developers to spend less time securing applications, increasing their productivity. As soon as there is a fix available, developers don't have to look into what was affected. They can easily upgrade their dependencies using Snyk's recommendation. After that, all they need is to test their application to determine if the new upgrade is breaking their application. Therefore, they are completely relaxed on the security side.

Snyk is playing a big role in our security tooling. There were a couple of breaches in the past, which used vulnerability dependencies. If they had been using Snyk and had visibility into what vulnerabilities they had in their dependencies, they could have easily patched it and saved themselves from their breaches.

So far, we have really good feedback from our developers. They enjoy using it. When they receive a notification that they have a vulnerability in their project, they find that they like using Snyk as they have a very easy way to fix an issue. They don't have to spend time on the issue and can also fix it. This is the first time I have seen in my career that developers like a security tool.

I'm the only person who is currently maintaining everything for Snyk. We don't need more resources to maintain Snyk or work full-time on it. The solution has Slack integration, which is a good feature. We have a public channel where we are reporting all our vulnerabilities. This provides visibility for our developers. They can see vulnerabilities in their projects and fix them on their own without the help of security.

What is most valuable?

Snyk integrations and notifications with Slack are the most valuable feature because they are really handy. By monitoring dependencies, if there is a vulnerability reported, Snyk will fire off a Slack message to us. With that Slack message, we can create a request just from the notifications which we receive on Slack. It's like having visibility in a general channel and also flexibility to fix that issue with a few clicks.

The solution’s vulnerability database is always accurate since the chances of getting a false positive is very rare. It only reports the vulnerabilities which have already been reported publicly.

The solution’s Container security feature allows developers to own security for the applications and the containers they run in in the cloud. Without using Snyk, developers might be not aware if they are creating a vulnerability in their Docker images. While using Snyk, they have at least a layer of protection where they can be notified by a Snyk if there is a vulnerability in the Docker images or communities.

What needs improvement?

If the Snyk had a SAST or DAST solution, then we could have easily gone with just one vendor rather than buying more tools from other vendors. It would save us time, not having to maintain relationships with other vendors. We would just need to manage with one vendor. From a profitability standpoint, we will always choose the vendor who gives us multiple services. Though, we went ahead with Snyk because it was a strong tool.

Snyk needs to support more languages. It's not supporting all our languages, e.g., Sift packages for our iOS applications. They don't support that but are working to build it for us. They are also missing some plugins for IDEs, which is the application that we are using for developers to code.

There are a couple of feature request that I have asked from Snyk. For example, I would like Snyk to create a Jira ticket from Slack notifications. We already have Snyk creating a pull request from Slack notifications, so I asked if we could create a Jira ticket as well so we can track the vulnerability.

I started working with at my company eight months ago and Snyk was already in place. As for my own experience, I was using this solution before I joined the company, so I was familiar with the tool and how it works.

They were a couple of issues which happened because Snyk lacked some documentation on the integration side. Snyk is lacking a lot of documentation, and I would like to see them improve this. This is where we struggle a bit. For example, if something breaks, we can't figure out how to fix that issue. It may be a very simple thing, but because we don't have the proper documentation around an issue, it takes us a bit longer.

So far, we have onboarded all our developers to Snyk, and it's still running fine. However, they could improve it. For example, if I create a bulk request for more than 15 or 20 vulnerabilities, then it takes a bit longer than it should in terms of time.

Including security, the total developers that we have on Snyk is almost 50 at this time. We are pushing more to the developers and would like to have 200 developers in the coming month or two.

The people with whom I'm connected are really good. If I have issues, they will quickly jump on a call and I will start troubleshooting with them over the call. The people with whom I'm talking are very technical.

Before using Snyk, we didn't have visibility into how many dependencies we were using or importing into our projects. Snyk gives us how many third-party libraries we are using and what version they are running on. Also, it let us know if there are any vulnerabilities in those libraries when we are writing our code. Because of the potential impact, we have to ensure that there aren't any vulnerabilities in these libraries (since we have no visibility) when we are importing.

The initial setup was straightforward. Onboarding projects didn't take me too long. It was pretty straightforward and easy to integrate with event/packet cloud and import all our projects from there. Then, it was easy to generate the organizational ID and API key, then add it to the Snyk plug-in that we are using in our build pipeline.

Snyk was already onboard when I joined. Deployment of my 23 projects took me an hour.

The solution has reduced the amount of time it takes to find problems by three or four hours per day.

The solution has reduced the amount of time by at least two to three hours a day to fix problems because the documentation which we receive is very helpful. This also depends on a couple of factors, such as, how big a project or library is.

Developer productivity has increased a lot. Considering all the projects about security vulnerabilities, we are saving at least six to seven hours a day.

What other advice do I have?

It saves a lot of my time and the developers' time. Also, because everything is super simple and straightforward in one place, it is really convenient for the security team to keep an eye on vulnerabilities in their projects.

Having this type of tool for a security team is really helpful. In my previous role, we didn't have this type of tool for our team. We struggled a lot with how we could enhance our visibility or see our projects: what dependencies they were using and if we could monitor those dependencies for any vulnerabilities. Without the tool, we could be attacked by some random vulnerability which we were not even aware of. Thus, I strongly recommend having this type of tool for a security team.

This is integrated with our CI/CD.

For Containers, we are still not fully rolled out and working around it.

I would rate this solution as a seven (out of 10).

Learn what your peers think about Snyk. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,136 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Matt Spencer
Senior Security Engineer at Instructure
We can identify things earlier within the development cycle, giving us time to fix things

• "We have integrated it into our software development environment. We have it in a couple different spots. Developers can use it at the point when they are developing. They can test it on their local machine. If the setup that they have is producing alerts or if they need to upgrade or patch, then at the testing phase when a product is being built for automated testing integrates with Snyk at that point and also produces some checks."
  • "I would like to give further ability to grouping code repositories, in such a way that you could group them by the teams that own them, then produce alerting to those teams. The way that we are seeing it right now, the alerting only goes to a couple of places. I wish we could configure the code to go to different places."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is dependency vulnerability scanning and alerting.

How has it helped my organization?

We have integrated it into our software development environment. We have it in a couple different spots. Developers can use it at the point when they are developing. They can test it on their local machine. If the setup that they have is producing alerts or if they need to upgrade or patch, then at the testing phase when a product is being built for automated testing integrates with Snyk at that point and also produces some checks.

The integration of SDE has been easy. We have it on GitHub, then we are using an open source solution that isn't natively supported, but Snyk provides ways for us to integrate it with them regardless of that. GitHub is very easy. You can do that through the UI and with some commands in the terminal.

The sooner that we can find potential vulnerabilities, the better. Snyk allows us to find these potential vulnerabilities in the development and testing phases. We want to pursue things to the left of our software development cycle, and I think Snyk helps us do that.

A lot of the containerization is managed by some of our shared services teams. The solution’s container security feature allows those teams to own security for the applications and containers they run in in the cloud. Our development operations is a smooth process. We are able to address these findings later in the development process, then have the scans at the time of deployment. We are then able to avoid time crunches because it allows us to find vulnerabilities earlier and have the time to address them.

It provides better security because we make sure that our libraries dependencies and product stay up-to-date and have the most current code available. Yet, we are able to quickly know when something requires urgent attention.

What is most valuable?

It raises alerts on vulnerable libraries and findings. It scores those alerts and allows us to prioritize them.

It is very easy to use: The UI is very polished and the API is straightforward. Our developers seldom have a thought like, "This is very odd how they are doing this." The solution seems very intuitive.

I am impressed with Snyk's vulnerability database in terms of its comprehensiveness and accuracy. There have been times when I know that brand new vulnerabilities have come out, then it's only taken them a day or two to adopt them and get them processed into their database. I feel pretty confident in the database.

The security container feature is good and straightforward. The solution’s actionable advice about container vulnerabilities is a little more straightforward, because in most cases, you need to upgrade. There is not as much investigation that needs to go into that. So, the decision to upgrade and fix those is straightforward.

Their API and UI are great.

What needs improvement?

If they were able to have some kind of SAS static code analysis that integrates with their vulnerability dependency alerting. I think that would work really well. Because a lot of times, only if you have this configuration or if you are using these functions, your code will be vulnerable. The alerts do require some investigation and Snyk could improve the accuracy of their alerting if they were to integrate with the SAS static code analysis.

Close to three years.

My impressions of the stability are very high.

We don't require staff for deployment and maintenance of this solution.

It is pretty scalable. We had a few projects that are too large, but they have actually produced fixes which help with that. As of right now, I feel that they are very scalable.

Developer adoption is 90 percent. Our goal is 100 percent. We are currently doing roadmap work, but we will be at 100 percent soon.

Our users are primarily developers. We have the 100 seat license, and I think we have around 80 to 90 users.

Snyk's technical support is big. I have worked with them several times. They are responsive and have always been able to help me with whatever things I am trying to do.

The initial setup is straightforward. They have great documentation, which is relatively straightforward. There are a couple different options on how you can integrate it. This allows you to sort of pick the easiest way. It was simple for most of our use cases and the ways that we needed to integrate with it.

Our initial deployment took less than a week.

We talked to a solutions architect for an hour. That was basically it. Our experience with them was good. Everything seemed very straightforward, so it all went smoothly.

We have seen ROI. The product is more secure. Snyk has allowed our developers to spend less time securing applications, increasing their productivity. This goes back to being able to identify things earlier within the development cycle and having the time, not having to handle all these things in a panicked, chaotic manner, in order to fix something.

Snyk has reduced the amount of time it takes to find problems. By finding problems early on in the development cycle, the solution is probably saving us about a month.

The solution has reduced the amount of time it takes to fix problems. Their database has a great description because it's easy to figure out what the problem is, then we can figure out what needs to be fixed. The time that it saves us is relatively small, about a day.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you know how you want to structure the product at the time that deploy it, because it's hard to go back and restructure it. Prepare a deployment plan before you implement it.

Snyk reports vulnerabilities and alerts on vulnerable libraries, but there are usually a lot of stipulations on if it will be a vulnerability within the code. For example, it might say, "This library is vulnerable, but only if you're using these functions." Then, there is kind of a decision:

• Is it just going to be easiest to upgrade it and not really investigate it?
  • Or do you investigate it and figured out if it's a false positive or not?

So, it depends on how you define false positive. It alerts on vulnerable libraries, but it also says, "Only if you're doing this with these functions," which a lot of the times the case is not, but requires some investigation.

Snyk supports 95 percent of the environment that we have. We do have some code that is not supported by them.

We have other solutions to cover SAST and DAST. If Snyk were to come out with these solutions, we would be interested in what they have and possibly adopting those. It's not a concern for us that they don't have those, because we use other solutions to cover SAST and DAST, but we also want to be able to cover vulnerable dependency alerting.

They're always coming out with new stuff.

I would rate the solution as a nine out of 10.

Dirk Koehler
Senior Director, Engineering at Zillow Group
Helps developers find and fix vulnerabilities quickly

• "It is one of the best product out there to help developers find and fix vulnerabilities quickly. When we talk about the third-party software vulnerability piece and potentially security issues, it takes the load off the user or developer. They even provide automitigation strategies and an auto-fix feature, which seem to have been adopted pretty well."
  • "We have seen cases where tools didn't find or recognize certain dependencies. These are known issues, to some extent, due to the complexity in the language or stack that you using. There are some certain circumstances where the tool isn't actually finding what it's supposed to be finding, then it could be misleading."

What is our primary use case?

Snyk is a security software offering. It helps us identify vulnerabilities or potential weaknesses in the third-party software that we use at our company.

The solution is meant to give you visibility into open source licensing issues, which you may not necessarily be aware off, such as the way you ingest libraries into your application code for third-party dependencies. There is visibility into anything that could be potentially exploited.

It provides good reporting and monitoring tools which enable me to keep track of the vulnerabilities found now and/or discovered in the future. It is pretty proactive about telling me what/when something might need mitigation.

Their strength is really about empowering a very heterogeneous software environment, which is very developer-focused and where developers can easily get feedback. If you integrate their offering into the software development life cycle (SDLC), you can get pretty good coverage from a consumer perspective into the libraries that you're using.

It's a good suite of tools tailored and focused towards developers. It ensures their code is safe in regards to their usage of third-party libraries, e.g., libraries not owned or controlled, then incorporated into the product from open sources.

How has it helped my organization?

It is meant to be a less intrusive type of solution. It is easy to integrate and doesn't require a lot of effort. It's more a part of the CI/CD pipelines, which doesn't necessarily interfere with developers other than if there are actions/remediations to be taken. From a development impact, it's very lightweight and minimal.

It is not noticeable for most engineers since it's part of the pipeline. If no new findings are reported, then it goes through without any signals or noise. If there were findings, these are usually legitimate findings and can be configured in such a way that they can be blocked/stopped in your pipelines or be more informational. The user has all the knobs and screws to turn and tweak it towards their use case because there may be areas where security is more critical than in other parts of the company, like development projects.

We exclusively use their SDE tools. Our CI/CD environments are powered by source code control systems like GitLab and GitHub. BitPocket has also been integrated to some extent. There are CI/CD pipelines where we pull in Snyk as part of the pipeline, jobs, Jenkins environment, etc.

What is most valuable?

It is a fairly developer-focused product. There are pretty good support and help pages which come with the developer tools, like plugins and modules, which integrate seamlessly into continuous integration, continuous deployment pipelines. E.g., as you build your software, you may update your dependencies along with it. Packages that it supports include CI/CD toolchains, build tools, various platforms, and software/programming languages.

Their focus is really towards developer-friendly integrations, like plug and play. They understand the ecosystem. They listen to developers. It has been a good experience so far with them.

What needs improvement?

There were some feature requests that we have sent their way in the context of specific needs on containers, like container support and scanning support.

There are some more language-specific behaviors on their toolchains that we'd like to see some improvements on. The support is more established on some than others. There are some parts that could be fixed around the auto-fix and automitigation tool. They don't always work based on the language used.

I would like them to mature the tech. I am involved with Java and Gradle, and in this context, there are some opportunities to make the tools more robust.

The reporting could be more responsive when working with the tools. I would like to see reports sliced and diced into different dimensions. The reporting also doesn't always fully report.

Scanning on their site, to some extent, is less reliable than running a quick CLI.

We have been engaging with Snyk for close to a year.

I have not encountered any instabilities at this point.

We have seen cases where tools didn't find or recognize certain dependencies. These are known issues, to some extent, due to the complexity in the language or stack that you using. There are some certain circumstances where the tool isn't actually finding what it's supposed to be finding, then it could be misleading.

As a SaaS offering, it's been fairly stable.

We have an on-prem type of broker setup, which seems to be a fairly stable. I'm not aware of any particular outages with it.

We have no concerns regarding scalability. We operate at scale. Their approach is pretty lightweight for integrating tools locally.

We are not fully rolled out across the company; parts of the company are using it more than others. There are some best practices that we still have to establish across our development teams so it feels consistent across our scalable processes.

I would gauge the technical support as pretty good from our interactions. We are in a licensed partnership, so the response and support that we're getting is part of our license. For quick resolutions, we have standing channels, like Slack, where we can easily get a hold of somebody who can jump in and provide some feedback. The ticketing support system is for medium to long-term requests. It's been pretty good in terms of responsiveness and their ability to support in a very reasonable time frame. Responding in less than a few hours is common in regards surfacing issues and obtaining proactive support with someone who can chime in and provide potential resolution strategies.

The product is tailored towards developers. It has a good implementation and support team who provide quick resolution on support issues. Their support listens to feedback. We engage with them, and they listen to developers' needs. They have also been pretty good in terms of turning things around. Even though we hadn't done a major request with them, they're very supportive, open, and transparent in terms of what makes sense and is reasonable, like shared priorities and roadmaps.

We have been struggling a bit with the GitLab setup, but that's more of a custom solution problem.

Their licensing model is fairly robust and scalable for our needs. I believe we have reached a reasonable agreement on the licensing to enable hundreds of developers to participate in this product offering. The solution is very tailored towards developers and its licensing model works well for us.

What other advice do I have?

It addresses a lot of needs, especially in growing organizations. The more developers, the more heterogeneous your environment will look, as well as needing more tools to help you scale security practices. In this regard, it seems to be a very promising, scalable solution.

We have been utilizing the solution’s container security feature. It is not at full scale, though. We are engaging Snyk on container integrations.

I would rate it an eight (out of 10).

MG
Director of Architecture at a tech vendor with 201-500 employees
Clear setup documentation with easily readable APIs

• "It is easy for developers to use. The documentation is clear as well as the APIs are good and easily readable. It's a good solution overall."
  • "We would like to have upfront knowledge on how easy it should be to just pull in an upgraded dependency, e.g., even introduce full automation for dependencies supposed to have no impact on the business side of things. Therefore, we would like some output when you get the report with the dependencies. We want to get additional information on the expected impact of the business code that is using the dependency with the newer version. This probably won't be easy to add, but it would be helpful."

What is our primary use case?

We have been considering Snyk in order to improve the security of our platform, in terms of Docker image security as well as software dependency security. Ultimately, we decided to roll out only the part related to software dependency security plus the licensing mechanism, allowing us to automate the management of licenses.

We have integrated Snyk in the testing phase, like in the testing environment. We are in the process of rolling the solution out across our entire platform, which we will be doing soon. The APIs have enabled us to do whatever we have needed, and the amount of effort for the integration on our end has been reasonable. The solution works well and should continue to work well after the full-scale roll-out.

How has it helped my organization?

We expect to get additional benefits in terms of validating our software security.

The solution does its job to help developers find and fix vulnerabilities quickly. So, it is working well.

What is most valuable?

• The platform's ease of use
  • Good support from the customer success team
  • A transparent solution
  • Functionally coherent and powerful

The overall goal is to have a high security platform delivered in an easy way. This is in terms of the effort that we have to put in as well as cost. From this perspective, Snyk looks like the most promising solution. So far, so good.

It is easy for developers to use. The documentation is clear as well as the APIs are good and easily readable. It's a good solution overall.

What needs improvement?

We have been using it for about three months.

So far, we have had no concerns regarding the solution's stability. We have had no downtime.

The scalability is okay.

When it comes to direct users who are managing it or doing the integration for Snyk, then there are a few developers from the team who own the solution.

The goal is to roll this out across all services and supported technologies. Once we finish our rollout phase, then we expect to have full adoption. Thanks to our internal integration, teams will just be seeing the updated dependencies whenever they are available. So, Snyk will be doing the hard magic behind the scenes for everyone.

The customer success team is a solid team. I liked their approach from the very beginning and after signing the contract. They kept things looking good, which is a good sign.

We haven't had an opportunity to validate some hard cases with the technical support yet.

We did not previously use another solution.

The initial setup was easy and nicely documented.

We have been managing the deployment with other initiatives that we are running. We haven't had major obstacles with the deployment so far.

For our implementation strategy, we first worked on the plan of, "How do you want to integrate it?" We investigated the best setup, then we just went to the implementation phase from the research phase.

One software engineer is enough for deployment and maintenance. We had to split the duties of this between several people, but one person is enough.

Keep extracting knowledge from the Snyk team. They are very helpful during the process, so make sure to use them.

The more security that we have, the more confident we are. You never know when you will be actually attacked. Hopefully, this will not be validated anytime soon in reality. However, by doing our penetration tests, we are validating the system on a regular basis, which will also help improve our overall confidence in this area.

It gives us peace of mind that there is nothing hidden that hasn't been taken care of. That is also important.

The solution has reduced the amount of time it takes to fix and find problems.

The pricing is reasonable.

For the Docker security feature use case, we decided to go with an open source solution (Trivy), because it is sufficient for our needs. Integration with Trivy was cheap and easy, which makes it cost-effective. Our current use case was simple enough that the existing open source tool was sufficient. Maybe there are use cases that are more advanced and sophisticated, where the open source solution would not be sufficient for an organization. In such cases, the benefits from the paid version would be worth the money. I think it boils down to the specific use case of a company.

We were not able to find a sufficient, elegant solution for the dependencies part of our use case. That is why we invested in our partnership with Snyk. After evaluating paid and open source solutions, Snyk was selected as the best tool.

What other advice do I have?

I have heard from my team that it has a comprehensive database. Hopefully, it will work well during the production usage. Our hopes are high. So far, we haven't seen any downsides.

We have our internal processes for maintaining and updating dependencies in general. We will be incorporating any suggested updates coming from Snyk into our internal, already-existing process and platform, with some additional effort from our teams. Hopefully, there won't be any major additional effort. Hopefully, cases needing additional effort for issues will be rare.

We are using the SAST version of Snyk. Its complexity is reasonable.

I would rate it as an eight out of 10.

DD
Security Engineer at a tech vendor with 201-500 employees
Helps us meet compliance requirements and educate devs on security in the SDC

• "It's very easy for developers to use. Onboarding was an easy process for all of the developers within the company. After a quick, half-an-hour to an hour session, they were fully using it on their own. It's very straightforward. Usability is definitely a 10 out of 10."
  • "A feature we would like to see is the ability to archive and store historical data, without actually deleting it. It's a problem because it throws my numbers off. When I'm looking at the dashboard's current vulnerabilities, it's not accurate."

What is our primary use case?

Since some of our development is using open source packages, we need a way to identify the vulnerabilities before using those packages for development. Using Snyk, we can identify all the safe packages, which to use and which to not use, and create a safe repository for developers.

The goal is to catch the vulnerabilities early within the process and fix them before they get to the security review where they can cause deadlines to be pushed out to fix them.

We're using the cloud version.

How has it helped my organization?

It helps us meet compliance requirements, by identifying and fixing vulnerabilities, and to have a robust vulnerability management program. It basically helps keep our company secure, from the application security standpoint.

Snyk also helps improve our company by educating users on the security aspect of the software development cycle. They may have been unaware of all the potential security risks when using open source packages. During this process, they have become educated on what packages to use, the vulnerabilities behind them, and a more secure process for using them.

In addition, its container security feature allows developers to own security for the applications and the containers they run in the cloud. It gives more power to the developers.

Before using Snyk, we weren't identifying the problems. Now, we're seeing the actual problems. It has affected our security posture by identifying open source packages' vulnerabilities and licensing issues. It definitely helps us secure things and see a different facet of security.

It also allows our developers to spend less time securing applications, increasing their productivity. I would estimate the increase in their productivity at 10 to 15 percent, due to Snyk's integration. The scanning is automated through the use of APIs. It's not a manual process. It automates everything and spits out the results. The developers just run a few commands to remediate the vulnerabilities.

What is most valuable?

• The wide range of programming languages it covers, including Python
  • Identifying the vulnerabilities and providing information on how to fix them — remediation steps

It's very easy for developers to use. Onboarding was an easy process for all of the developers within the company. After a quick, half-an-hour to an hour session, they were fully using it on their own. It's very straightforward. Usability is definitely a 10 out of 10. Our developers are using the dashboard and command lines. All the documentation is provided and I've never had an issue.

We have integrated Snyk into our software development environment. It's something that is ongoing at the moment. Our SDE is VS Code.

Another important feature is the solution’s vulnerability database, in terms of comprehensiveness and accuracy. It's top-notch. It pulls all the data from the CVE database, the national vulnerability database. It's accurate and frequently updated.

What needs improvement?

We use the solution's container security feature. A lot of the vulnerabilities can't be addressed due to OS restraints. They just can't be fixed, even with their recommendations. I would like to see them improve on this.

A feature we would like to see is the ability to archive and store historical data, without actually deleting it. It's a problem because it throws my numbers off. When I'm looking at the dashboard's current vulnerabilities, it's not accurate.

We have been using Snyk for a little more than a year.

The stability is very good. I haven't noticed any downtime.

It provides easy deployment for different code repositories, so it's easily scalable.

We have about 20 to 25 users and it's being used very extensively, across all our applications.

Their technical support is top-notch, a 10 out of 10. I have a Slack channel for direct discussions with support. And I have my account manager for any questions or issues I run into. Response time ranges between instant and three hours. If they don't know the question or the issue, they'll escalate. They'll have someone else join the Slack or give me a Zoom session.

This is the first of its kind, that we are using.

The initial setup was very straightforward. The integrations with our code repositories, like Bitbucket and GitHub, are direct. You enter their required information and just pull data from them. There was no setup for any additional VMs or anything else.

Developer adoption has been pretty positive, since it's easy to use. We have 100 percent adoption. They understand the need for security with software development. Everyone's happy with the product, and it allows them to catch vulnerabilities earlier in the software development cycle, rather than later, so they can fix them before they get to the security-review process.

The deployment took a few hours, maybe even less. I was the only one involved in the process. I just followed the directions. We just planned on identifying the specific repositories linking to Snyk, and then started scanning specific projects.

I also take care of maintenance of the solution and it takes less than 5 percent of my time. There is very little maintenance needed since it's a SaaS product.

We have seen ROI, although I don't have any data points on it. It's very valuable. It saves time for the developers and security team by quickly identifying things and fixing them before they get down the pipeline. It prevents the creation of additional roadblocks and complexity and the pushing out of deadlines to address issues once they are too far down the pipeline.

We didn't find any other options on the market.

What other advice do I have?

The biggest lesson I've learned from using this solution is the complexity of open source licenses. I wasn't aware of all the different types of licenses, and all the terms and conditions required to use specific open source packages.

JS
Manager, Information Security Architecture at a consultancy with 5,001-10,000 employees
Reduced the amount of active vulnerabilities in our applications

• "It has improved our vulnerability rating and reduced our vulnerabilities through the tool during the time that we've had it. It's definitely made us more aware, as we have removed scoping for existing vulnerabilities and platforms since we rolled it out up until now."
  • "There are some new features that we would like to see added, e.g., more visibility into library usage for the code. Something along the lines where it's doing the identification of where vulnerabilities are used, etc. This would cause them to stand out in the market as a much different platform."

What is our primary use case?

It is a source composition analysis tool that we use to perform vulnerability scanning for those vulnerabilities within open source libraries.

This is a SaaS solution.

How has it helped my organization?

We were aware of problems that were there, but we weren't looking for them until we had Snyk. It is definitely showing us things that we should have been concerned about, and we have found a lot of value in resolving those things since we've discovered them.

It's reduced the amount of active vulnerabilities in our applications, providing both a more stable and secure environment for us in the libraries that we develop. It has highlighted a number of things we weren't aware of in our applications and the reduction of those is definitely a benefit and value-add to our applications.

What is most valuable?

The general source composition analysis is the key to the piece. That is the feature to check our open source libraries for vulnerabilities and the primary feature that we use the tool for.

It is extremely easy to use and very simple to catch on for every team that we train on it. We generally have our development teams leverage the tool themselves. It's extremely easy to teach them how to use it and get them to onboard it.

From a speed perspective, we use Git repository. It was very easy to integrate into that platform.

The solution’s ability to help developers find and fix vulnerabilities quickly is very good and convenient. It provides the ability to easily work the platform into our existing repositories and leverage our repository. It also pulls notifications as a means for notifying developers of vulnerabilities within the projects that are developing.

The solution’s vulnerability database is very comprehensive and accurate.

What needs improvement?

There are some new features that we would like to see added, e.g., more visibility into library usage for the code. Something along the lines where it's doing the identification of where vulnerabilities are used, etc. This would cause them to stand out in the market as a much different platform.

We have been using Snyk for about a year.

It is very stable.

We use existing staff to maintain and operationalize it.

It is extremely easy to scale and hooks into all of our application repositories without any issues. We use the product extensively in the projects that we are currently running. We are using the product at close to 100 percent.

Developer-adoption of the solution has been good. It is one of the better tools in our application security library from an adoption perspective and needs of use. It has the most positive feedback out of all our solutions.

There are probably 50 users who are security/developers and development-focused security professionals.

The only technical support that we have received has been through our account team, and it's been fantastic. I haven't actually had to open any tickets or anything using the tool. The only time we've ever needed assistance was to open up a ticket for single sign-on configuration. It was extremely quick. They had a very easy, fast response for how to deliver it.

We previously used Black Duck. We switched to Snyk because of its better false positive ratings along with its ease of use, integration, and deployment.

The initial setup was straightforward. It was just extremely easy to integrate into our repositories, get the code scanning working, and add our projects into the application.

The deployment was quick. We had our first application in it within minutes.

Implementation strategy: We hooked up our applications and integrated them into the tool. Then, we started to address vulnerabilities as we saw fit from a risk perspective.

We have seen ROI with Snyk. It has showed us a lot of things that we were not privy to before. This has opened our eyes to a lot of very important things, e.g., vulnerabilities.

The solution has reduced the amount of time it takes to fix problems. It has done a great job explaining what the problem is and how to resolve it with remediation. It gives you a lot of details about versioning and such for the library. It is definitely helpful there.

The time-to-value of the solution in our company was almost immediate.

It's inexpensive and easy to license. It comes in standard package sizing, which is straightforward. This information is publicly found on their website.

We focused our evaluation specifically on Black Duck and Snyk, plus Veracode as a larger product offering.

The Snyk platform does everything we've expected it to do. It works much better than some of the competitors we looked at during our assessment.

What other advice do I have?

If you're looking for a source composition analysis tool or a tool to monitor your open source security, then it's a fantastic solution.

SAST and DAST are very important functions. We have alternative options for those though. I wouldn't say the solution’s lack of SAST and DAST hurts or affects us. It would be nice if these were a platform or offering that they did have.

We don't use the solution’s Container security feature at the moment, but we are planning on using it.

I would rate this solution as an eight or nine (out of 10).

Other
Nawal Singh
Senior DevSecOps/Cloud Engineer at Valeyo
Provides information about the issue as well as resolution, easy to integrate, and never fails

• "It has a nice dashboard where I can see all the vulnerabilities and risks that they provided. I can also see the category of any risk, such as medium, high, and low. They provide the input priority-wise. The team can target the highest one first, and then they can go to medium and low ones."
  • "Its reports are nice and provide information about the issue as well as resolution. They also provide a proper fix. If there's an issue, they provide information in detail about how to remediate that issue."
  • "It would be great if they can include dynamic, interactive, and run-time scanning features. Checkmarx and Veracode provide dynamic, interactive, and run-time scanning, but Snyk doesn't do that. That's the reason there is more inclination towards Veracode, Checkmarx, or AppScan. These are a few tools available in the market that do all four types of scanning: static, dynamic, interactive, and run-time."
  • "We have to integrate with their database, which means we need to send our entire code to them to scan, and they send us the report. A company working in the financial domain usually won't like to share its code or any information outside its network with any third-party provider."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Snyk along with SonarQube, and we are currently more reliant on SonarQube.

With Snyk, we've been doing security and vulnerability assessments. Even though SonarQube does the same when we install the OWASP plugin, we are looking for a dedicated and kind of expert tool in this area that can handle all the security for the code, not one or two things.

We have the latest version, and we always upgrade it. Our code is deployed on the cloud, but we have attached it directly with the Azure DevOps pipeline.

What is most valuable?

It is a nice tool to check the dependencies of your open-source code. It is easy to integrate with your Git or source control.

It has a nice dashboard where I can see all the vulnerabilities and risks that they provided. I can also see the category of any risk, such as medium, high, and low. They provide the input priority-wise. The team can target the highest one first, and then they can go to medium and low ones.

Its reports are nice and provide information about the issue as well as resolution. They also provide a proper fix. If there's an issue, they provide information in detail about how to remediate that issue.

It is easy to integrate without a pipeline, and we just need to schedule our scanning. It does that overnight and sends the report through email early morning. This is something most of the tools have, but all of these come in a package together.

It never failed, and it is very easy, reliable, and smooth.

What needs improvement?

It would be great if they can include dynamic, interactive, and run-time scanning features. Checkmarx and Veracode provide dynamic, interactive, and run-time scanning, but Snyk doesn't do that. That's the reason there is more inclination towards Veracode, Checkmarx, or AppScan. These are a few tools available in the market that do all four types of scanning: static, dynamic, interactive, and run-time.

We have to integrate with their database, which means we need to send our entire code to them to scan, and they send us the report. A company working in the financial domain usually won't like to share its code or any information outside its network with any third-party provider. Such companies try to build the system in-house, and their enterprise-level licensing cost is really huge. There is also an overhead of updating the vulnerability database.

It has been more than one and a half years.

It is stable. I haven't had any problems with its stability.

It is easy. We have integrated Snyk with two to four projects, and we do run scanning every week to check the status and improvement in the quality of our code.

Currently, only I am using this solution because I'm handling all the stuff related to infrastructure and DevOps stuff in my company. It is a very small company with 100 to 200 people, and I am kind of introducing this tool in our organization to have enterprise-level stuff. I have used this tool in my old organization, and that's why I am trying to implement it here. I am the only DevOps engineer who works in this organization, and I want to integrate it with different code bases.

I've never used their technical support.

It is really straightforward. If someone has set up a simple pipeline, they can just integrate in no time.

Pricing-wise, it is not expensive as compared to other tools. If you have a couple of licenses, you can scan a certain number of projects. It just needs to be attached to them.

What other advice do I have?

I have been using this solution for one and a half years, and I definitely like it. It is awesome in whatever it does right now.

It is a really nice tool if you really want to do the dependency check and security scanning of your code, which falls under static code analysis. You can implement it and go for it for static code analysis, but when it comes to dynamic, interactive, and run-time scanning, you should look for other tools available in the market. These are the only things that are missing in this solution. If it had these features, we would have gone with it because we have already been using it for one and a half years. Now, the time has come where we are looking for new features, but they are not there.

Considering the huge database they have, all the binaries it scans, and other features, I would rate Snyk an eight out of 10.

Download our free Snyk Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.