SoapUI Pro OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

SoapUI Pro is the #5 ranked solution in our list of top Regression Testing Tools. It is most often compared to ReadyAPI: SoapUI Pro vs ReadyAPI

What is SoapUI Pro?
For REST, SOAP and other popular API and IoT protocols, SoapUI NG Pro provides the industry's most comprehensive and easy-to-learn functional testing capabilities. Based on open core technology proven by millions of community members, SoapUI NG Pro helps you ensure that your APIs perform as intended, meet your business requirements, timeframes, and team skill sets right from day one.

SoapUI Pro is also known as SoapUI NG Pro.

SoapUI Pro Buyer's Guide

Download the SoapUI Pro Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

SoapUI Pro Customers
Apple, Cisco, FedEx, eBay, Microsoft, MasterCard, Pfizer, Nike, Oracle, Volvo, Lufthansa, Disney, HP, Intel, U.S. Air Force, Schindler
SoapUI Pro Video

Archived SoapUI Pro Reviews (more than two years old)

Aishwarya
Associate Professional Product Developer at Computer Sciences Corporation
Leaderboard
Helped us to achieve timely testing of our APIs

What is our primary use case?

An automation tool not only always has the purpose of redefining the APIs after their functional or performance testing, but also provides an easier execution platform for the APIs so that they can be easily consumed by the future developers who are yet to work on them.

How has it helped my organization?

It did help us to achieve timely testing of our APIs and the right reasons to enhance their functionality or performance.

What is most valuable?

I've majorly worked on SoapUI Pro, LoadUI and Service Pro and found all of them equally useful and very easy to understand tools.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The tools that are stated by SmartBear speaks for itself, but when it comes to improvements, there could be a release which only aims for the development of beginners in terms of understanding the tools that are laid by SmartBear.

Three to five years.
YK
User at EPAM Systems
API mockups is a feature that quickly allowed us to have a working API mockup interface during the initial API discussion meetings

• "API mockups, functional testing, and load testing are valuable features."
  • "The UI should be improved."
  • "Could integrate the graphing module for load testing."

What is our primary use case?

Functional and load testing of the APIs we've developed internally and the APIs we've consumed from external parties.

How has it helped my organization?

It helped us to make API mockups much faster, in addition to the functional and regression testing.

What is most valuable?

API mockups, functional testing, and load testing. API mockups is a feature that quickly allowed us to have a working API mockup interface during the initial API discussion meetings.

What needs improvement?

The UI should be improved a little.

It would be great to integrate the graphing module for load testing, so that we could analyze the timings of the responses and how that changes over time with changes in the API implementation logic.

Less than one year.
Learn what your peers think about SoapUI Pro. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
540,984 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MD
Tester
Helped us by integrating the tests in the nightly build format. There were some issues in regards to the correct saving of projects.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are:

• Test validation on API responses.
  • Mock services to test parts of the application.

Mock services are valuable as we can start testing the interaction of an application with another application without having the other application fully available. It might be the second application is not live yet. We substitute the second application with a mock service (a type of a stub).

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped us by integrating the tests in the nightly build format. Thus, the tests are performed automatically in each new software version.

What needs improvement?

The licenses could be more flexible with regards to floating licenses.

In the case that a user changes a workstation, then the license locked to a certain workstation cannot be easily changed to another workstation. It would be more flexible if a license could be linked with the user personally.

Compared to i.e., Telerik Test Studio, you have a license that is connected with your email and password. So if a user changes machine he can release the license on the old machine, go to the new machine, and hook in the license there with his email and password, and he is up and running again.

With SmartBear, you have to contact the company to tell them that you have changed machine, etc.

I have used this solution for five years.

There were no big stability issues, there were some issues in regards to the correct saving of projects. You should save often!

There were no scalability issues experienced.

I would give the technical support a seven out of 10 rating.

The setup was straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

This product is quite useful for us. It could be even more useful if we had explored other functionalities (security, load tests) as well.

RB
Enterprise Software Quality Architect at a tech vendor with 5,001-10,000 employees
With this solution, we were able to develop tests about 3x faster than we did with Java.

What is most valuable?

I found the REST Discovery and Groovy scripting features to be most valuable. Additionally, the Simple programming model enables a wide audience (in contrast to Java or JavaScript). The XML format makes it easy for scripts to analyze the test base (metrics, bulk simple changes).

How has it helped my organization?

Using this solution, we developed tests about three times faster than we did with Java and by doing manual REST reverse engineering from product code (Java). This solution also enabled manual testers to write automated tests, which they would not have been able to do in Java. We are planning to get SoapUI tests written earlier (thus moving some test development upstream).

What needs improvement?

Working with Git needs to be improved. SoapUI 1.8.0 has this annoying habit of touching/changing many files that are unrelated to a test developer's actual change. This habit complicates working with Git, since Git thinks that the user has made hundreds of changes.

I have used this solution for twoyears.

I have not really encountered any issues with stability.

The product is adequately scalable. It can handle composite test projects that contain many hundreds of tests.

I would rate technical support as eight out of 10.

I previously tested TestNG/Java. With this solution, we were able to develop tests about three times faster than we did with Java and by doing manual REST reverse engineering from product code (Java). This solution also enabled manual testers to write automated tests, which they would not have been able to do in Java.

The initial setup needs an automated headless installer.

The license cost is a good value, but others not familiar with the tool are often skeptical.

We did not evaluate other options. We tried SoapUI first and its REST Discovery feature convinced us to adopt it.

What other advice do I have?

Evaluate this solution in a pilot project. Remember that, as test numbers grow, test maintenance will become an issue. Implement scripts to apply verification rules across the test XML files, to ensure that test authors are following team conventions. That will reduce the number of avoidable errors that usually get introduced into the test base.

Test Engineer III at a engineering company with 51-200 employees
An easy-to-use product which has enabled a more thorough testing of our API layer.

What is most valuable?

Data driving Easy to use

How has it helped my organization?

It has enabled a more thorough testing of our API layer.

What needs improvement?

There are a lot of bugs and it can sometimes be 'quirky.'

We have been using the solution for a year.

We had a stability issue but it is related to our machines only having 4 GB RAM.

We have not encountered any scalability issues.

The technical support is very good. Normally our issues are fixed within three months or if they are severe then by the next maintenance release.

Which solution did I use previously

What is most valuable?

• Data driving
  • Easy to use

How has it helped my organization?

It has enabled a more thorough testing of our API layer.

What needs improvement?

There are a lot of bugs and it can sometimes be 'quirky.'

We have been using the solution for a year.

We have not encountered any scalability issues.

I am not aware of any previous solutions.

Setup was easy. You just run the installer and set up your license.

The product is very good value but be prepared for some issues which you will have to work around.

We evaluated SoapUI, SOATest, UFT.

What other advice do I have?

For the money this is a great tool.

it_user253329
Senior Automation Engineer with 1,001-5,000 employees
Aspects that have proved useful include the automatic generation of example requests and the Form view capabilities that allow for easy manipulation of a request for more basic testing.

Valuable Features:

There are many aspects of SoapUI NG Pro that have proved useful at all levels in our organization. From the automatic generation of example requests, to the Form view capabilities that allow for easy manipulation of a request for more basic testing. While the Testsuite capabilities of data driven testing, data generation, use of data sources/sinks, the various assertions that are easily setup automatic validation of your web services and finally the ability to link web services together to mimic your system test scenarios have really helped to improve our test quality and coverage while achieving that all important 'shift testing left'.

With all of the capabilities the most valuable aspect of SoapUI NG Pro is that it is extremely flexible, you can add any amount of customization which can include the use of the substantial API that is available. With this flexibiltiy you can use this tool not only to test the functionality of the web service, or how that web service is implemented in your system but also to use the automated capabilities of this tool to test out the functionality of aspects of your systems such as calculation engines, letter generation, etc (this is specific to your system but can play a large part in your test strategy if considered) .

Improvements to My Organization:

We have used SoapUI Pro, now SoapUI NG pro for around 7 years and in that time we have made use of a lot of the capabilities of this tool. The main benefit this has given us in our organization is really in relation to how we plan our test strategy, it very much a combined effort between Architects, Development and QA. Everyone works towards 'shifting testing left' whether that is to provide mock services to allow for the step up of the test suite/test cases before the code/system is available to test or whether we plan to test our system before it is fully integrated. We very much work towards not only testing the functionality of the web service, or how it is implemented but also how we can use it to setup test data  or to test individual elements of our system before it is fully integrated. For us this has meant increased test coverage, better system security, less test execution time and above all a greater quality product.

Room for Improvement:

Better integration capabiliites with a range of Test Management Systems (not that it is not possible using the API) where a range of aspects are considered such as housing of the project, sharing (some capabilities here), versioning of projects, automatic saving of run information  and results (again this can be done in test suite setup but would be great to view in a test management system). There are some tools out there that do provide this but it would be ideal if this came as part of SoapUI NG Pro

QA Leader at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
The most valuable features are the possibility to run in such a fast way to many test cases simultaneously, SQL injection, and being able to save the tests as a WAR file.

Valuable Features:

In my personal experience, Soap UI NG Pro added a lot of value to our product. We have been able to automatize a lot of manual work in a really easy way.

I was given the task to search for a tool to implement the automation for the first time in the project, so, I've been testing many tools. However, the main features that convinced the client in the demo to choose Soap UI NG Pro was the possibility to run in such a fast way too many test cases simultaneously, SQL injection, and being able to save the tests as a WAR file.

Improvements to My Organization:

It save us a lot of time that before was wasted in manual testing. For example, we used to test OData Protocol queries, so we needed to compare the XML in the HTTP response with the data retrieved in the database. As it was a lot of information, each tester needed to pay attention to all this data in both places. With Soap UI NG Pro, this comparison just took a few seconds. That was really amazing.

Room for Improvement:

I have not been able to use this tool a lot of time, so I don't consider myself in a position to say what can really be improved. However, I would like to see some IDE plugins for Soap UI NG Pro. I don't know if you have it already implemented but, for example, an Eclipse Plugin would be great.

I would say that if you are in any doubt, they can really count on the customer support team, they answer really fast and their answers are really helpful. Sometimes, they can guide you through documentation that you wouldn't reach for yourself and all the information they passed me, at least, it was updated, complete and easy to understand. So, this is really helpful when it comes to implement a new tool.

it_user377310
QA Head at a retailer with 51-200 employees
I primarily use it to test XML/JSON requests and responses for APIs hosted by us and our vendors.

Valuable Features:

I primarily use Soap UI to test XML/JSON requests and responses for APIs hosted by us and our vendors. Also, SoapUI is easy to use since all my requests are saved in a single location so I can export and share them with my team.

Improvements to My Organization:

It helps me in speeding up testing process as all requests are saved and can be retrieved from a single location.

Room for Improvement:

The application has to be restarted after being used for an hour or so as it stops working after that.

Deployment Issues:

We encountered no issues with deployment.

Stability Issues:

With a big response size, the application hangs.

Scalability Issues:

We've encountered no issues with scaling it.

Other Advice:

It's easy to use and should not require any…

Deployment Issues:

We encountered no issues with deployment.

Stability Issues:

With a big response size, the application hangs.

Scalability Issues:

We've encountered no issues with scaling it.

Other Advice:

It's easy to use and should not require any training.

it_user375747
Senior Test Engineer at a leisure / travel company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The most valuable feature is the ease of project and test suite set up.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ease of project and test suite set up. A few clicks and imports and your project is set up.

How has it helped my organization?

We test services with SoapUI almost exclusively.

What needs improvement?

I cannot attest to the Ready Pro version, as I'm not really a fan of that version even though I am sure it offers a lot. I downgraded from that version after I installed it. I liked the earlier versions for what I do in the tool.

It would be nice to have an easier way to determine operation in the test case itself.

I've used it since 2012.

There were no issues with the deployment.

It has met and handled everything I have had to test with ease.

It has met and handled everything I have had to test with ease.

Very high. Whenever I have had to use the website for assistance I have found the answer there without having to call in.

I have not used anything like this tool. Eclipse does a lot that I need but SoapUI does as well.

I don’t recall, but I do remember it was fairly simple. Install and add the license and I was good to go.

We did our implementation in-house.

What other advice do I have?

Great tool. Makes API testing super easy to set up and use.

it_user373143
Consultant at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
​It's sped up testing as we move towards a TDD environment.

What is most valuable?

It gives us the ability to quickly test web services.

How has it helped my organization?

It's sped up testing as we move towards a TDD environment.

What needs improvement?

In the LoadUI companion the scripts are not user friendly, and it also has a slow startup time.

We've been using it since 2014.

There were no issues with deployment.

There were no issues with the stability.

There were no issues with the scalability.

I am sure it's good but I have not had the need to contact customer…

What is most valuable?

It gives us the ability to quickly test web services.

How has it helped my organization?

It's sped up testing as we move towards a TDD environment.

What needs improvement?

We've been using it since 2014.

There were no issues with deployment.

There were no issues with the stability.

There were no issues with the scalability.

I am sure it's good but I have not had the need to contact customer service.

We also use Selenium/JMeter/Gomez etc. SoapUI is just one of the tools that I use.

it_user371451
Software QA Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
It's easy to add assertions in the Pro version. They should exclude test results out of projects (XML file).

What is most valuable?

• Prepared different kinds of testSteps
  • It's easy to add assertions in the Pro version
  • Groovy scripting
  • Event handlers

How has it helped my organization?

Used for backend functional testing.

What needs improvement?

• Improve bug fixing
  • Stability
  • Memory consumption
  • Exclude test results out of projects (xml file)
  • Improve composite project mode (tried version 1.2,1.3 but after short time refused)

I've used it for more than three years starting with SoapUI Pro version 4.6.x. SoapUI NG from beginning after renamed to Ready API and be part of it.

8/10 - the answer for reported bug was a known issue and a fix will be a part of future releases, no time scale given. The bugs are are in many releases.

I have not used other solutions for back and testing personally. Comparing to robot framework SoapUI had more pros than robot framework.

Initial set-up of program is straightforward, preparing own project with dynamic path e.g. JDBC connection or endpoint is more complex.

What other advice do I have?

The product is a good solution for functional back end testing, but the price should be lower due to already mentioned problems, bugs. Use other product framework for small solutions, due to price/bugs. The advantage is that the product is handy for testers, user friendly; ability to use load, security tests or create mocks.

it_user371466
Developer at a consumer goods company with 51-200 employees
​The ability to analyse and simulate web services are clearly the main value.

What is most valuable?

The ability to analyse and simulate web services are clearly the main value.

How has it helped my organization?

Testing web services manually, speeds up things.

What needs improvement?

A better integration with IDE would be nice, but the main issue here is do not break what works well, as so many others have done.

I've used it for four years on and off.

The only problem is integration.

No issues encountered.

No issues encountered.

It's OK, I've not used it much.

Tcpdump and others like that, no one had the ability to work in a structured way with webservices like SoapUI.

Straghtforward, when it works! Impossible when it does not.

I am never going to buy SoapUI, far to expensive. But I suppose the customers SoapUI are targeting do not give a damn about the price!

What other advice do I have?

Ttry it, you may like it and you will know soon enough. Certainly worth the effort.

it_user297558
Software Developer at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
I like the features for SOAP, REST and JDBC.

What is most valuable?

I like the features for SOAP, REST and JDBC. I also like the easy way to do assertions.

How has it helped my organization?

The tests are running fast and often which means that we get feedback about the tests very quick and then are able to evaluate the test results.

What needs improvement?

It would be nice if you could organize the tests in more levels. Would like to add my own error message when using the Message Content Assertion (this is for the PRO version). This could be useful when running the tests from Jenkins.

I have been using various versions since 2007.

Sometimes you have to reload the project when you are moving/reorganizing tests in a project.

Quick response from the support and forum.

We chose this product because it is easy to use and have many functions that supports ours needs for example SOAP, REST and JDBC requests.

Very easy to setup and use.

I have been using it as a consultant and in-house. It's easy to do if you follow the on-line instructions

The tool supports the way we want to automate or tests. That means all from creating tests and data to assertions and finally cleaning the data. The test are also running in a CI Jenkins environment. The pricing is okey for PRO version but the price is getting higher all the time. There are also a free version.

What other advice do I have?

I think this is a very easy tool to use for automated tests to run in a CI environment. You don’t have to be a “hardcore” programmer to use the tool but to get the best from it you should have some interest in programming/scripting.

Download our free SoapUI Pro Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.