SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer is the #6 ranked solution in our list of Network Traffic Analysis tools. It is most often compared to Cisco Stealthwatch: SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer vs Cisco Stealthwatch

What is SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer?
SolarWinds Netflow Traffic Analyzer enables you to capture data from continuous streams of network traffic and convert those raw numbers into easy-to-interpret charts and tables that quantify exactly how the corporate network is being used, by whom, and for what purpose.

SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer is also known as Netflow Traffic Analyzer.

SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer Buyer's Guide

Download the SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer Customers
Oceaneering International, Asia Pacific Network Information Centre, 335th Signal Command, Immofori
SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer pricing:
  • "We pay yearly, and we are happy with its price."
  • "The price of this solution is exceptional."
  • "The pricing is reasonable."

SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer Reviews

TY
Senior Network Specialist at a manufacturing company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Alerts us whenever a device is down but it cannot do metric performance monitoring

• "SolarWinds has improved our organization because whenever a device is down, we get an alert."
  • "It does not flow. It cannot do our metric performance monitoring. So it is very limited. They can do it but in a very limited fashion. It is only good for SNMP-based alerts."

What is our primary use case?

SolarWinds is a traditional enterprise network monitoring platform. It provides an event-triggered alarm.

This is as opposed to ThousandEyes which is an application for delivery and performance metric monitoring. ThusandEyes is a service delivery tool for SaaS-based applications, with service delivery monitoring and circuit performance metric monitoring. Also, whereas SolarWinds is on-premises, this solution is cloud-based. Their analytic tools are on a cloud-based portal, but we have a physical, agent-based performance monitoring tool installed across the site.

How has it helped my organization?

SolarWinds has improved our organization because whenever a device is down, we get an alert. Or when a major interface is down, we get an alert. This is important since we need to know when a device or major link is down.

What is most valuable?

In the case of ThousandEyes, the feature I've found most valuable is that it is an active synthetic monitoring tool. It provides per-hub packet loss latency information across the private and public internet. This provides us with capability outside our network.

SolarWinds is traditional. It's old school and SNMP-based. It provides event-triggered alarms. We rely on the features to monitor our network device to see if it is online or not. It tells us if the interface is down or up or if the device is down or up.

What needs improvement?

Regarding SolarWinds, no major comment or improvement. We just use it. Because it's an old-school technique, we only rely on it for alerts, events, system logs, etc. That's why I said we don't put any effort into it.

Since we've only just begun using ThousandEyes, we're not sure yet. But there probably will be issues.

We have been using SolarWinds for a long time.

In terms of ThousandEyes, we just deployed it. We finished the Proof of Concept and deployed before the New Year.

The stability of Thousand Eyes is good. It meets our use case requirements.

As for SolarWinds, it is a traditional platform used everywhere. It has been on the market for 15 to 20 years. And within our organization, it is stable, too.

ThousandEyes will definitely be scalable because it's a cloud-native solution and they use a leveraging agent to collect. Cloud is more scalable compared to an on-premise deployment.

It is only our network team of 15 networking admins working on these two applications. And it requires around one or two people for deployment and maintenance of these solutions.

We are using SolarWinds every day as our monitoring platform and we don't have any plans to increase usage.

Before using ThousandEyes we only used SolarWinds.

The initial setup of ThousandEyes is very straightforward. It's not complex. It is really simple from a deployment and configuration perspective. Because we have multiple sites, the majority of the deployment time is for logistics and not for configuration or setup. It's very straightforward and simple to set it up. We are a global enterprise, so it did take a while. We used a vendor as a professional consultant service to help us deploy. It was a good experience working with them.

We pay for yearly licensing on both solutions.

We have already seen a return on our investment by going with ThousandEyes. We already see the benefit, which is that we get visibility. That's the only thing we wanted. We can pre-benchmark service delivery and monitor across different sites on the cloud.

Before choosing ThousandEyes, we evaluated Riverbed. We select a solution based on our use case. Our main purpose here is to monitor service delivery on the cloud and Riverbed cannot do that. Riverbed could replace SolarWinds but does not have that capability, which ThousandEyes does. So that's the main difference.

What other advice do I have?

As for advice for people looking to implement either solution, it's on a case-by-case basis as each person has different requirements. In our case, one can do somethings and can't do others. It's not the silver bullet that can fix everything, but we selected them based on our requirements.

On a scale of one to ten, I'd rate SolarWinds a 5. It does not flow. It cannot do our metric performance monitoring. So it is very limited. They can do it but in a very limited fashion. It is only good for SNMP-based alerts.

Regarding ThousandEyes, I would give it a seven, because you can set a threshold but they are not really alert-based. They can generate an alert but they can't say if a device is up or down, they cannot monitor.

So you basically have to supplement with each other, that's why we still have both.

RD
Network Services Manager at a government with 5,001-10,000 employees
Good reporting allows us to proactively deal with bandwidth-related issues

• "The most valuable feature is the ability to look for any increases in bandwidth over time so that we can plan before it becomes critical."
  • "It's not a cheap product, so the pricing could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use this product for monitoring our bandwidth. We run daily reports, send the data to Tableau, put that in a map of Texas, and look at all of our sites. It tells us if we're nearing 80% and when we need to increase bandwidth.

How has it helped my organization?

Using this solution helps us to better manage our bandwidth. We have it handled with no problem. We export information every morning so that when everybody gets to work, we can look at it and tell exactly what is going on in terms of bandwidth.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ability to look for any increases in bandwidth over time so that we can plan before it becomes critical. We have our threshold set at 80%, which means that when we hit that capacity, it's time to start looking at things like whether there is a problem in the network or whether an increase in bandwidth needs to take place. Essentially, it gives us a tool where we can manage our business proactively instead of reactively.

I have 19 direct reports that use this product.

What needs improvement?

It's not a cheap product, so the pricing could be improved.

We have been using the SolarWinds Network Bandwidth Analyzer for about eight years.

This product appears to be very stable.

This product seems to scale just fine. We've got 862 satellite sits we're looking at and we receive data from more than 340 land sites. I'd say that it has scaled very well for us.

We have had really good support. If we have issues then my technical person makes one call and gets help.

Prior to SolarWinds, we were using WhatsUp Gold. We weren't getting out of it what we needed, so we did a trial of SolarWinds and really liked what they saw. That is why we changed.

I was not managing the team when the setup took place, but I didn't hear of any major issues so I would say that the initial setup was pretty straightforward.

in house implementation

We purchased it outright but there are ongoing maintenance fees. From what I have seen, price-wise, it is close to the competitors.

When selecting new products, we always put out an RFI to see who has what out and available. Afterward, we evaluate those and make a selection. The NOC was responsible for choosing the product and then it came over to my team, the network service group. Since the NOC was responsible for the comparison, I don't have information on the other solutions that were evaluated.

What other advice do I have?

As this solution is implemented now, we're running fine and it is difficult to see things that can improve. It's giving us all of the information we need. For example, we have SNMP traps set up and we are able to look at offices across the entire state of Texas. It's a pretty big job. We are very much sold on this solution and plan to continue using it.

My advice for anybody who is considering SolarWinds to get the free 30-day trial, install it, test it, and see if it meets their needs. They have a lot of different modules available, so you buy the ones that you need and implement them.

Overall, we are happy with this product. That said, nothing is perfect and there's always something better.

Learn what your peers think about SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
543,089 professionals have used our research since 2012.
HD
Control Department Head of Information Security at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Provides good response for managing the traffic, but doesn't provide information about the endpoint that is downloading heavy files

• "For managing the traffic, it provides you a response about whether the traffic is down, up, or heavy, which is a very powerful feature. It has a good response time. We have been using this solution for many years, and we don't have any problem with this solution."
  • "If your network is on SolarWinds, and you notice that the traffic is bad because it says "user downloading a heavy file," it doesn't indicate which endpoint is downloading those heavy files. SolarWinds doesn't have the tools to be able to handle this kind of situation. You can just notice through your network device that the traffic is becoming overwhelming or heavy, but you cannot go inside and get more details related to the endpoint where it is happening. We would like SolarWinds to be able to handle this kind of situation and even manage the traffic inside a network from the endpoint to the network device. These would be good enhancements. It is mostly stable. The problem comes only when we want to add another SolarWinds model. SolarWinds has so many models, and sometimes when we want to add other models on the platforms that are reserved for our firm, it freezes. When this happens, we have to create a new VM for that model."

What is our primary use case?

We use many SolarWinds solutions. We use SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer mostly for monitoring the traffic and ensuring that everything is working well. We use it to manage and monitor the traffic and check if the connection between the two sites is well.

What is most valuable?

For managing the traffic, it provides you a response about whether the traffic is down, up, or heavy, which is a very powerful feature. It has a good response time.

What needs improvement?

If your network is on SolarWinds, and you notice that the traffic is bad because it says "user downloading a heavy file," it doesn't indicate which endpoint is downloading those heavy files. SolarWinds doesn't have the tools to be able to handle this kind of situation. You can just notice through your network device that the traffic is becoming overwhelming or heavy, but you cannot go inside and get more details related to the endpoint where it is happening. We would like SolarWinds to be able to handle this kind of situation and even manage the traffic inside a network from the endpoint to the network device. These would be good enhancements.

I have been using this solution for around seven years.

It is mostly stable, but there are issues with stability when you want to add another SolarWinds model to the platform.

It is good for small and medium enterprises. We have ten users who use this solution in our organization. This solution is mostly used by network administrators, and currently, they don't have another project to increase the usage of the solution.

Their technical support is good.

The initial setup isn't complex.

We have an internal team that manages this solution.

We pay yearly, and we are happy with its price.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution if your need is really about monitoring the traffic. It gives good feedback for monitoring the traffic, and it is a good solution for that, but if you want to do more than that, I would not recommend this solution.

It is a good solution for small and medium enterprises. It is good for enterprises that are not too big and don't have too many networks.

I would rate SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer a six out of ten.

Bill Lamon
Information Technology Manager at B&I Contractors
Alerting capability useful for monitoring abnormal usage, but internal network visibility could be better

• "The most valuable feature is the alarm that is set up to trigger based on bandwidth utilization."
  • "This solution does not do a very good job when I am trying to look deeper into my internal network, in particular with respect to individual ports."

What is our primary use case?

This solution allows me to see what we are using in terms of bandwidth on the WAN. I can use that in conjunction with Observium to figure out what endpoint on the network is pulling a lot of data, and what type of data it is.

One of the problems is that I am using two different products with two different dashboards to chase down the same problem. The bandwidth analyzer alerts me to the issue of excessive bandwidth usage, but then I have to look at the second product to figure out where. I have to find out what switch, what port, and potentially what host, so it takes a little bit of investigating to really narrow down what's going on.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution gives us a simple way to monitor traffic that is coming in and out. It shows me how much bandwidth is both inbound and outbound, and it is shown clearly on the dashboard.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the alarm that is set up to trigger based on bandwidth utilization. When we are alerted then we know that we have to look further into the issue.

What needs improvement?

I have been using the SolarWinds Network Bandwidth Analyzer for between two and three years.

This is a stable solution. It works and I really don't have any issue with it.

There are three of us who use this solution from an administrative point of view. I am the manager of the department, there is a senior engineer, and there is a junior network engineer who uses it as well.

We did not have anything in place before implementing this solution.

The initial setup was straightforward.

One of my internal engineers deployed this solution within the company.

What other advice do I have?

This was a good solution when we began using it a few years ago. However, now as the company is growing, I have more data lines coming in and I have more endpoints, I want to combine products. I'm looking for a single pane of glass dashboard to keep an eye on the entire infrastructure. As it is now, I have three dashboards that I have to keep track of.

Right now, this solution is doing what I need it to do. There is probably more room for improvement but I use the product in a simplistic way so there are things that I have not learned about it. Ideally, I would like a single product that does everything we need.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

FA
Networks Lead Engineer at a mining and metals company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Simple to use, provides valuable insight into traffic usage, and generates comprehensive reports

• "The monitoring is perfect, showing you the details for the utilization of resources and network bandwidth."
  • "The Atlas module that is used for building the network map is very bad."

What is our primary use case?

I was using this solution in my previous company for four years and am trying to bring it to my new organization. We are currently running a PoC.

What is most valuable?

The GUI is simple and easy to use.

It provides the ability to track users to see who is generating higher amounts of traffic and what the person is doing.

The notifications are helpful.

At the end of the day, you can get very comprehensive reports showing you everything that is happening in the domain.

What needs improvement?

The licensing should be improved. I don't like the licensing because it is geared to the interface and not the device, which increases the cost.

The Atlas module that is used for building the network map is very bad.

I would like to see improvements made to the dashboard configuration.

They should provide more templates for the vendors.

I have been working with SolarWinds for more than four years.

It is a stable system and very reliable.

The scalability is very good.

This solution does not have support available in the Middle East region. The relationship is through the partners but this is insufficient because they are not highly skilled and cannot really support you.

Whenever you approach the SolarWindws team, they normally have fixes that come out with every new release.

The price of this solution is exceptional.

What other advice do I have?

This solution does an excellent job but nothing is perfect. There are some things that need to be improved.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

MV
Managing Director at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
Easy to deploy, reasonably-priced, and everything can be managed in one place

• "The integration with other SolarWinds products is good."
  • "I would like to see more artificial intelligence capabilities."

What is our primary use case?

We use this product to analyze network traffic flow. For example, we analyze the traffic that is using a lot of bandwidth to determine which application or information stream is responsible.

What is most valuable?

Everything is done in the Orion Suite, so you can look there to find dashboards and reports.

The integration with other SolarWinds products is good. It works well in combination with the other tools.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more artificial intelligence capabilities.

We have been using SolarWinds Netflow Traffic Analyzer for about four years.

This is a very stable product.

Scalability-wise, it is fine.

SolarWinds is a traditional software company, which means that you can get help from them.

SolarWinds is a great product with a lot of possibilities, but also, it is not the Holy Grail. None of these solutions are. The suitability and choice of products depend on what is best for the customers. It's situation-based, and it depends on the requirements.

The initial setup is straightforward and it only takes a couple of hours to deploy. It is easy.

Our in-house team implements and deploys this solution. I also train people on how to use it.

The pricing is reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, for my use cases, this product is very good and I recommend it. My advice is that if you decide to implement SolarWinds then they have a few other good products that you can use.

DU
IT Project Lead - Danone North America at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Straightforward to set up and they have good support that is quick to answer questions

What is our primary use case?

SolarWinds, in general, is used for inventory and monitoring. We use the Network Traffic Analyzer module mostly for support and debugging of issues and such.

What is most valuable?

They have instructional videos and other information available on the site to assist you with learning it. Even if you don't have an integrator or somebody teaching you how to use it, you could probably pick it up pretty easily.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see better customization capabilities.

We have been using the Netflow Traffic Analyzer for about five years.

The stability is good.

Scalability-wise,…

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I would like to see better customization capabilities.

We have been using the Netflow Traffic Analyzer for about five years.

The stability is good.

Scalability-wise, NetFlow Traffic Analyzer is fine.

The support is always good. They are good people and they answer questions quickly. They know their product.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward.

We contracted an integrator to assist us with the initial implementation and deployment.

Now, we're getting ready to redeploy an entirely new suite and we're doing that internally. We are able to do this now because we have a new person on staff who has experience with this type of thing.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product and I recommend it.

DariusBwalya
ICT Training Consultant at a non-tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to set up but the monitoring should be faster

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is for monitoring.

What needs improvement?

One thing I have noticed is that it is very slow to pick the dynamics of the network, so that is something that could be improved. There is some sort of lag in the reporting, and I would like to see that being faster.

I have been using the program for about seven years now.

I think it is quite stable and that's why we stick with it. We often switch to something else. For instance, we recently changed to another antivirus program. But this program is stable so we haven't chosen another solution over this one yet.

The…

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is for monitoring.

What needs improvement?

I have been using the program for about seven years now.

The program is scalable enough for our usage. We currently have 8,000 users so we may have to buy extra modules soon.

It was easy and straightforward to set the program up. The setup is very user-friendly.

We used a vendor team at first and from there on we did everything ourselves. Deployment took about a day.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, I would rate this solution a seven. Some things that might improve, is that I would like to see it being able to detect mobile gadgets too, like smartphones.

Download our free SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.