SolarWinds NPM Overview

SolarWinds NPM is the #3 ranked solution in our list of best Network Monitoring Tools. It is most often compared to Zabbix: SolarWinds NPM vs Zabbix

What is SolarWinds NPM?

Check the health and performance of your entire network for easier troubleshooting and faster results using SolarWinds Network Performance Monitor. NPM lets you quickly detect, diagnose, and resolve network performance problems and outages. Now with built-in deep packet inspection and analysis you can immediately determine the impact of network or application latency on user experience.

SolarWinds NPM is also known as Solarwinds Network Performance Monitor, SolarWinds Network Bandwidth Analyzer.

SolarWinds NPM Buyer's Guide

Download the SolarWinds NPM Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

SolarWinds NPM Customers

Microsoft, Federal Express, Hewlett-Packard, and MasterCard

SolarWinds NPM Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about SolarWinds NPM pricing:
  • "It is relatively inexpensive compared to other products in the same category."
  • "USD $15,000 annually for maintenance."
  • "It's expensive and there are costs in addition to the standard licensing."
  • "The licensing is based on the number of nodes, interfaces, and volumes."
  • "It is expensive."
  • "Some solutions are open source and free."

AA
Manager of Operations - Enterprise at a university with 10,001+ employees
Make monitoring key performance factors in your enterprise customized and effective

What is our primary use case?

Our installation is on-premises on a virtual machine. When we purchased NPM I was particularly interested in the features of Orion. We were going through a maturation process propagating the monitoring of applications throughout the server policy here at the university. It was more to monitor various applications that are primarily used for individual schools. For example, we have the school public health, and we have the school of nursing and they have different needs. You have all these applications like Banner and Canvas and other web-based applications that get used by particular areas. We… more »

• "The product covers our needs for the basic care and feeding of servers, whether they are physical or virtual."
  • "Technical support and releases are not particularly reliable."

What other advice do I have?

One of the things I would suggest to people considering this product and products like it is having a clear agreement upon targets of what you really want to monitor. If it is applications or servers or whatever it is, it just makes sense to come at your choices with a plan. Implement that on the front end by picking out what is important instead of coming back on the back end and trying to do things after-the-fact. On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate this solution as about an eight-out-of-ten.
DonaldBakels
Chief Executive Officer (CEO) at Adfontessoftware
Reseller
Reliable and awarded bandwidth analysis that provides important information about performance and traffic

What is our primary use case?

We are a reseller of SolarWinds, so that is our primary use. SolarWinds Network Bandwidth Analyzer is actually a marketing name. That is the brand name of a couple of products in a suite. The main product of the network management suite is NPM, or the Network Performance Monitor, which is qualified as a global market-leading product and has won a lot of awards in the past few years. It is the flagship for network management software. The cool thing about that product is that you can use it to also monitor your network cloud connections through the internet. That is quite a unique feature. With… more »

• "A product that is well-tested and trusted in demanding situations."
  • "The only thing that can be improved is to continually add to the existing capabilities of the product."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to people who are coming to SolarWinds is that they do a training on the website and take advantage of exploring the trial version. The free trial will allow them to use the product and get to know the features before paying for it. I always recommend that smaller organizations start small. You can make the initial purchase of a very simple license which is not very expensive. Then you can build it out later to a bigger scale and then use the software company-wide. So the advice is really to begin small and build it out and take more licenses as you need them. You can pick the…
Learn what your peers think about SolarWinds NPM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
511,773 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AN
Senior Network Engineer at Element Critical
Good Performance Analyzer feature, excellent access to knowledge base resources, and very stable

What is our primary use case?

We primarily used the solution for routers and switches.

• "The solution is extremely stable. We haven't had any issues in that regard. We haven't had issues with bugs, glitches, or crashes."
  • "In terms of scalability, there is room for improvement. When you start monitoring, if you have so many interfaces and you're trying to monitor them at a faster interval, or a shorter interval, you get to a point where you need to request another node."

What other advice do I have?

At my old company, we were always using the current version of the solution. We'd like to keep up to date with the latest releases. The company even changed over when there was a move from a 2012 Windows server to an updated version of Windows (16). We had a single server located in one location and all the other devices were networked. Sometimes SolarWinds was used as a slot receiver and trap receiver for some of those devices that have their own "NMS" (network managed system). It's not really proprietary, but we had a northbound interface to be able to send syslogs or TRAPS. SolarWinds was…
DS
Systems and Data Warehouse Supervisor at MMSD
Enables us to proactively resolve issues, resulting in significant time savings and minimal downtime

What is our primary use case?

This solution has many different roles in our company. There is the application support group who configure it for monitoring specific services within applications and our desktop or operations group which monitors toner in laser printers. My group, which is primarily networking and servers, use it for bandwidth monitoring, server processor utilization monitoring, and for disk space monitoring. So we use it for a lot of different things. There are probably 200 services that are being monitored within our financial system to make sure that it is running optimally. I'm an infrastructure… more »

• "The alerting and usage tracking notifications on disk space capacity, network and processor utilization."
  • "Complex and overly detailed setup."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend taking into consideration that you will need more server resources than you think. Knowing that means you can save on having to rebuild the whole environment later on. We ended up going from one server to four servers and it's running much better now. Don't skimp on the server resources you get with the application. I would rate this solution a 10 out of 10.
PM
Technical Support Specialist at a consultancy with 11-50 employees
Network monitoring that alerts you and is customizable, but it's expensive

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for network monitoring.

• "The biggest thing for me is that it provided enough information for me to monitor. It alerts and provides you with the information you need."
  • "Sometimes there are issues when upgrading to a new version of the product."

What other advice do I have?

We don't have any plans to increase usage in the future, but we do have some additional plans on providing it as a service to other companies. That said, I don't think that we will be changing anytime soon. I have recommended this product more than once. It's one of the better products on the market, and it also has an extensive suite. If people are looking for network monitoring software, and are willing to pay for it, and don't want a free version, I have always said that SolarWinds is one of the better options. I think that there is room for improvement. I have seen other products that do…
DineshNekkanti
Digital Innovation at Bobcat Company
Good sharing display, excellent technical support and useful for hybrid monitoring

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to try to monitor all of our AWS services, including the servers and the cloud. We use both, and this actually helps us with monitoring and certain applications.

• "Technical support has always been great. They are very responsive. We've been satisfied with their level of support."
  • "There needs to be more integration of widgets, especially for reporting purposes."

What other advice do I have?

We just use the product. We're not consultants or resellers. I'm not sure of which version of the solution we are currently using. It may be the most recent. I do believe that in the future, users will gravitate towards using one solution for monitoring all the servers and applications. However, right now this product needs a lot of plugins. Currently, a lot of improvements are needed before the solution gets to a good place in terms of usability. I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.
Fazal Azeem
Implementation & Support Specialist at 360Factors
Helpful support, good alerting and reporting facilitate troubleshooting of network problems

What is our primary use case?

We have been using this tool to monitor our multiple network devices, interfaces, physical and virtual memory, application servers, databases, and applications to keep a track of what is causing an issue that we are having. Either it is the network, or it is the application, or it is the database queries that are causing our users to experience slowdowns. Due to alerting mechanism, we get notified if anything is responding slowly or if anything goes down so that we can resolve the issue as quickly as possible and keep providing best services to our customers.

• "We have configured multiple alerts for our network devices, including routers and switches, so that we are notified if any interface goes down."
  • "Fortigate firewalls are one example of a product that we are unable to monitor properly via SolarWinds NPM."
KD
IT Expert & Data Center Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Scalability is very good for physical machines. For virtual machines, the scalability is challenging.

What is our primary use case?

We use it for our network LAN and some problem that we saw in our switching networks.

• "We had some interfaces where the SFP Ports were having some problems after a while. We found which of the SFP Ports was having the error and changed it, so the bandwidth become okay."
  • "We are looking to change away from this solution because of the documentation and the solution doesn't have enough integration in our country. The documentation is too weak."
See 11 more SolarWinds NPM Reviews
Download our free SolarWinds NPM Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.