SolarWinds NPM Overview

SolarWinds NPM is the #3 ranked solution in our list of best Network Monitoring Tools. It is most often compared to Zabbix: SolarWinds NPM vs Zabbix

What is SolarWinds NPM?

Check the health and performance of your entire network for easier troubleshooting and faster results using SolarWinds Network Performance Monitor. NPM lets you quickly detect, diagnose, and resolve network performance problems and outages. Now with built-in deep packet inspection and analysis you can immediately determine the impact of network or application latency on user experience.

SolarWinds NPM is also known as Solarwinds Network Performance Monitor, SolarWinds Network Bandwidth Analyzer.

SolarWinds NPM Buyer's Guide

Download the SolarWinds NPM Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2021

SolarWinds NPM Customers

Microsoft, Federal Express, Hewlett-Packard, and MasterCard

SolarWinds NPM Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

MA
Network Administrator at Libyana Mobile Phone
It has customizable features, but they are complicated to use

What is our primary use case?

I am working at a company which is an Internet service provider (ISP). So, I'm monitoring the traffic on some nodes, like switches, routers, firewall, the traffic, and the CPU. I am using the latest version, which I just downloaded from their site.

• "The set up was very easy. We didn't have any problems with the setup. The deployment took less than an hour."
  • "The aesthetic widgets should be dynamic widgets, so the customization can be even more customizable."

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking for something which is very customizable for the customization of your network, then you should go with SolarWinds. However, overall, the customization feature is also a disadvantage because it can be very complicated.
Server and Network Monitoring Engineer at ZS Associates

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is to to know what nodes or devices are up or down in our environment. I can also provide a performance report, if needed to anyone who asks, by pulling it out from SolarWinds NPM. We have it integrated with other SolarWinds products, like NDM. I have been using the solution for the last seven years. The company has been using the solution for over nine years now.

• "We can proactively fix historical issues, so we won't face those problems in future."
  • "It is not that stable. As a Windows software, I have seen issues with SolarWinds. The performance is slow."

What other advice do I have?

The most important criteria when selecting a vendor are support and flexibility.
Learn what your peers think about SolarWinds NPM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2021.
479,323 professionals have used our research since 2012.
SM
Solutions Engineer at Mesiniaga
Single pane for monitoring is a valuable feature that has improved our organization

What is our primary use case?

Server and network monitoring.

How has it helped my organization?

Single pane for monitoring Scalable Creates new business opportunities.

What is most valuable?

Monitoring.

What needs improvement?

More MIBs.

JF
Manager of Network Services with 10,001+ employees
Dashboards are very useful but it should have better integration with other solutions

What is our primary use case?

We use NPM to monitor our enterprise for up/down status on network devices.

How has it helped my organization?

We consolidated five different products into a series of applications which helps us monitor our production network.

What is most valuable?

Dashboards are very useful.

What needs improvement?

SolarWinds should have integrations back into products like ExtraHop, VIAVI, Riverbed, and NETSCOUT.

Less than one year.
IT Director at Pattillo, Brown & Hill
Performance history is a valuable feature but it randomly reports falsely that devices are down

What is our primary use case?

We monitor five firewalls and five switch stacks in five offices. We also monitor around 30 servers that are both physical and virtual. Most of them run Windows Server 2016.
Sr Network Administrator at a recruiting/HR firm with 10,001+ employees
It is very flexible, and the reporting is quite nice.

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case for this is for monitoring router switches, and using the solution to support the collection of this information for us.

• "You can monitor performance counters effortlessly."
  • "It would be nice if SolarWinds could have a polling engine on the site that would collect the reporting and then manage everything itself."

What other advice do I have?

It's a bit tricky when you go to the cloud already. I don't know what's the right metric myself, what should you be monitoring. Then, the newer trend right now is they don't even have the concept of a virtual machine. Some deployments, they will just have containers, and a container can be on any machine that they can shoot up anytime and deploy the apps there. But, my question is: How do you monitor the performance? What metric are you going to use? Overall, when considering a new solution, I always consider: * Ease of use * Ability for data collection * Generation of alerts.
CISO with 201-500 employees
One of the best features is the reports feature. Consolidation of platforms would provide a smoother experience.

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is for default of the stability of the network track.

• "One of the best features is the reports feature."
  • "Consolidation of platforms would provide a smoother experience."

What other advice do I have?

I would like to see this product becoming more flexible in the future. In addition, integration with other solutions would be helpful.
Technical Head at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Gives us a single console where we can see the entire network

What is our primary use case?

We're using it for monitoring network uptime. We were testing it out for applications and for servers, but that didn't work for us. We wanted a different solution, an end-to-end type of monitoring. We wanted to see the end-user experience.

• "It gives us a map of the network setup and one console to see the entire network."
  • "A feature I would ask for is for them to have this solution available for Linux systems instead of Windows."

What other advice do I have?

SolarWinds is pretty straightforward. If you're a startup, you want to stand up a solution quickly, then SolarWinds would be good for you because it doesn't have a big learning curve to implement it. I would rate this solution an eight out of 10. They're pretty good but we really have pretty predominantly Cisco equipment, so Cisco would offer a better free view of the equipment right now.
Sr. Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
No special training is required to use this product. Very simple to use and has rich GUI performance reports.​

What other advice do I have?

Before choosing a product, I would want to evaluate it and check all requirements. Then before implementation, clear all the customer requirements accordingly.
Senior Systems Administrator at Privia Health
It's nice that out of the box it includes customizable dashboards, alerting, reporting, and Active Directory integration. ​

• "I believe the ease of setup and use, including everything, from the initial installation to the discovery of devices is the most valuable."
  • "The SolarWinds notification and alerting configuration could be simplified as it would be easier to find if it was within the NPM web application instead of in a separate client application."

What other advice do I have?

If you’re looking to get a lot more insight and visibility into your network devices, servers, applications, and other devices, along with real-time alert notifications, SolarWinds NPM should be towards the top of your list. You will be able to view devices by type or by location and poll all sorts of different data using SNMP or WMI or other methods. Out of the box, you will also receive customizable dashboards, alerting, reporting, and Active Directory integration.
ENTERPRISE NETWORK : Team Leader: ICT Events Monitoring at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
Helps Administrators To Identify And Fix Bandwidth Issues Faster

What other advice do I have?

The free trial is there to test the product.
CEO at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Provides instant visibility to our support team across all the networks we monitor.

What is most valuable?

Interactive network map dashboard.

How has it helped my organization?

Provides instant visibility to our support team across all the networks we monitor, allowing us to zero in on the most urgent issues and easily identify root causes of problems.

7 years.

There are some issues when trying to monitor multiple networks with the same IP ranges. The solution for this is to purchase additional modules.

Initial setup was straightforward, but this is s big system, ans we've spent years customising and tailoring…
Network Engineer at a educational organization
With this solution technicians are aware of issues and almost always exactly what caused the issue.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you have several servers. You must have the actual platform on a separate server from the database. You will need a separate database server for each module you activate such as flows. There is a very big footprint.
Lead Network Engineer/Business Developer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
SolarWinds NPM is a Top Notch IT tool

• "I love the GUI. Almost everything is accessible through the web interface. It is very user-friendly. It is easy to drag and drop resources wherever you want them."
  • "The reporting is good, but I want it to be a little easier when creating custom reports. The reports are all on the website now, but it takes some know how to get some to display the way you would like."

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you have a very good machine for your database server. It will most likely use the most resources. As you add more modules, the database will grow and there will be more transactions being written with each module. You want to use RAID 10. Ensure you have the correct resources allocated to the SolarWinds server, as well. When you spec out your machines, double that for growth. Once you start using SolarWinds, you will want to invest in other modules. Also, you should really get a SolarWinds consultant a least for your initial install. SolarWinds is great out-of-the-box, but you…
Engineer, Infrastructure Applications at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
With an easy-to-use interface for both admins and users, we use it to provide infrastructure monitoring services.

• "The SolarWinds NPM framework, upon which most of their flagship products are built, empowers a wide variety of admins and users to quickly find value in their installed products."
  • "Real-time analytics is the major weakness of the SolarWinds NPM platform today. They've done a fantastic job enabling the collection of data. Users are now demanding the ability to generate their own graphs, views, and so on; all of this must be done by an admin today."

What other advice do I have?

Avoid the urge to go quickly. Take the time to forecast your growth in the next 12-24 months and plan the infrastructure for that target. Always follow the size and scaling recommendations, especially for your database environment. Do not use RAID5 for your database as the transactional environment or SolarWinds Orion will overwhelm your storage environment.
Systems Management at a media company with 10,001+ employees
The user interface is logical and standardised. Everything is customizable.

• "It combines and presents information from many different sources, giving a corporate-wide vision on a single pane of glass."
  • "Time: A worldwide deployment can be confusing for dispersed users with non-local times. Each node should have a local time (with summer offset if appropriate) & each user should view & report in their local time."

What other advice do I have?

Download and run the evaluation bundles on a spare server; it‘ll offer SQL Express.
Enterprise Monitoring Consultant at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
The ability to pick and chose modules per need with integration once deployed is valuable.

What other advice do I have?

It requires absolute thorough and all-round details on the infrastructure and its future needs. Once the scale is identified, get the right licenses and underlying platform (physical vs virtual and quick storage).
Project Manager and consultant enterprise IT tooling at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
You can build a live inventory of the equipment you manage.

What other advice do I have?

* Create a very simple requirements list. * In general, do not start a paper comparison. * Install the product or let someone help you with the install and configuration so you will get a quick start. * Do not try to find out everything yourself. * Based on what you have seen, you can build the so-called "gap analysis". * If you go for SolarWinds, it will not solve all your IT problems. You will also need complementary tools.
Sr. IT Infrastructure Specialist at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
Helps provide a central repository for network mapping.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you plan the implementation of the product; i.e., resources such as the number of pollers, add-on modules/product, etc.
Network/NOC Engineer at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
Offers the ability to use a few custom properties to manage multiple nodes and alerts.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ability to use a few custom properties to manage multiple nodes and alerts; thus, saving hardware resource usage.

How has it helped my organization?

Improved, more detailed service monitoring and reporting.

What needs improvement?

Dependencies: Created dependencies are not visible for management/editing by default until some tweaking is done. It would be better if this is enabled by default.

I have used it for months.

We have not encountered any deployment issues.

We have not encountered any stability issues.

Systems Engineer at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
High level of flexibility. Most valuable feature is the level of customization it provides.

• "From web interfaces to custom monitors and alarms, this product has a high level of flexibility that can be molded to suit your business needs, regardless of the size of your organization."
  • "Better offline license management. I’ve had to get in touch with customer support several times simply to remove an expired license from our NPM servers."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others before implementing this, is to attend one of their webcasts to get a feel for what NPM can do for you. The presenters are technical people who understand the product well and can answer a wide range of questions. Secondly, I’d make an account on their forum, Thwack, so if you’re ever stumped on an issue, you can pose a question to the community and glean information from other NPM users or from one of SolarWinds’ resident “Head Geeks.” Lastly, from personal experience, I would make sure you’re on good working terms with your network engineers before considering…
Head, ATM Management at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Some of the valuable features are reporting and interface monitoring.

What other advice do I have?

Anyone planning to implement NPM or other SolarWinds products should download the evaluation versions which give you a 30-day, free trial. This will help you make an informed decision. This should also be evaluated with other network monitoring solutions.
Network Systems Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
I can monitor server performance. This tool lets us know when a site is about to go down, before it does so.

• "With just three modules, I can monitor server performance (whether it’s a VM, in the cloud, or an on-premises server."
  • "If they’re going for a “cover everything” approach, then they need to do so and enable a bit more of the "cover everything approach" within every one of the tools."

What other advice do I have?

It’s a super easy tool to use, but you need to make sure you have a plan for what you want to do with it.
Senior Network Engineer at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
We can see what is consuming bandwidth and relate it back to a specific user or device.

What other advice do I have?

Download a demo and have fun! It’s easy to use and gives great outcomes.
Networks Manager at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
The product's simplicity is valuable, maintenance is low, and it is customizable.

What other advice do I have?

Keep your imagination open and keep looking around Thwack; there are lots of great ideas in there. It is an awesome production, I just haven’t found a way to do all my work yet.
RH
Sr. Systems Administrator at a engineering company
Delivers valuable out-of-the-box reporting, GUI customization, and integration with other SolarWinds modules.

What other advice do I have?

Identify the business/organizational problems you're looking to solve. Build your graphs and reports with an eye toward those problems. This creates business value almost immediately.
Sr. Network Administrator at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Provides SNMP monitoring of servers, CPU utilization, as well as memory and disk-space utilization.

What other advice do I have?

Go online, download a free trial, and give it a spin for yourself before buying.
Systems Administrator at a tech services company
Easy to deploy, and we are able to respond to problems before the customer is aware of them.

What other advice do I have?

Have a goal in mind. Prioritize your monitoring goals in terms of alerting, reporting, and dashboards. Then you can focus on completing those areas in order of importance. The product is always being expanded and additional features are constantly being added.
SolarWinds SME at a tech services company
NetPath Services show the end-to-end view of the path for accuracy and availability. That provides me with the data to visualize an issue in the network.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest the following: * Install the product with default settings * Build the database * Reinstall based on the needs and requirements of your deployment
SolarWinds Expert (Consultant) at a tech services company
It provides SNMP monitoring and I like the web interface.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise to get a consultant, at least short-term. I have found that companies, especially big ones, and even some small ones, don't need a SolarWinds expert on site all the time. It's too expensive and unnecessary. At some point, the expert will just sit and do nothing. I think it's absolutely proper to get someone at least for a month, maybe two or three. They can then advise you to pick the right product, choose the right tools, implement it in the right way, and to set up the workflow alerts to make sure it's working. It seems like the sales team has a slight disconnect from the…
Quick Launch Team Lead at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
The flexibility of the product meets any organization’s need to finds issues and bottlenecks in the enterprise that engineers were unaware existed.

What other advice do I have?

* Download a demo. * Don’t be afraid to push the boundaries and customize the product according to your needs. * Use the Thwack community!
Manager, Enterprise Monitoring at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It provides out-of-the-box monitoring. With custom properties and some ingenuity, you can get it to do pretty much anything else

What other advice do I have?

* Gather the official requirements for a monitoring solution, and alert all the consumers. The consumers here are the owners of the monitored gear and apps, and the engineers in the support and ops teams. * Set a good chunk of time aside to test drive the solution, and get creative with the custom properties. * Learn SQL or SWQL, a SolarWinds query language that is easier than SQL. This will expand your potential capabilities for customization significantly. * I am very active on the forum. I get a bunch of ideas and help; so I like to give back.
Founder at a tech services company
It's mainly geared towards network devices, providing the ability of seeing uptime for the device and the interfaces.

What other advice do I have?

Join Thwack. The Thwack community that is free for anybody to join, whether they actually have a SolarWinds license or not, is quite possibly the unique selling point that SolarWinds has. It's without doubt the best technical community that I've ever been a member of. A number of big vendors like Cisco have tried to recreate it and failed. It is a one off and it is perfect for what it does.
Analyst Network Operations at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
The forums and the customization are the best things about it.

What other advice do I have?

Get on their Thwack forums. That’s the best thing about the product; all the people on there, all the users. If NPM doesn’t do something, you can probably find someone to make NPM do it.
Information Security Engineer at a cloud provider with 51-200 employees
It offers dashboard customization and integrates with other tools to provide a single pane of glass.

What other advice do I have?

Take advantage of their free, 30-day demo. Definitely leverage the online community, “Thwack”.
Programmer Analyst at a leisure / travel company with 10,001+ employees
Low administrative maintenance compared to alternatives.
Senior Technical Analyst at CS Softwares.
We install it on cloned virtual machines and offer free access to partners of my company, creating guides for end-users.

What other advice do I have?

It's the best of platform for IT management. It shows statistical data in a very detailed manner, where the user can customize the entire platform and input any information from the database through a fully-customized report.
Freelancer Information Security & SIEM Consultant at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
​I had issues with the SQL database, and I would suggest they add MySQL.

What is most valuable?

CRC monitoring for each port is a valuable feature for us.

How has it helped my organization?

Today, the webapps are getting worse for showing all items. Sometimes your browser will not respond. My recommendation is to create separate console-based applications, especially for network operation centers.

What needs improvement?

The security information and event management could be improved.

I used it for five months, then removed it from my system.

I had issues with the SQL database, and I would suggest they add MySQL.

There was slow performance after adding 100 devices with 400-500 elements with…
Network Engineer with 51-200 employees
MSP
SolarWinds makes a great product and their support is second to none.​

What other advice do I have?

SolarWinds makes a great product and their support is second to none! They continue to acquire/develop new software that rolls in nicely with their entire solution.
User at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
It enables us to monitor the health and functionality of our nodes on the MPLS.

What other advice do I have?

I would say understand your environment and what you want to see. Also know what you deem important to your business and policies that guide your network usage. Not everyone one would find this particular product to their liking but for those who want to get to the granular level of assessment this is definitely a product to look at. Also they have now added a feature where the traditional style of setting up monitoring reports is no longer necessary. Initially you had to create complex alerting to know what happened at a particular time. Now you just have to filter by date and time and you…
Platform Engineer III at a insurance company with 501-1,000 employees
Provided us with a quicker turn around time for diagnosing and remedying a failure or issue.

What other advice do I have?

Get the trial download to use its all the features for 30 days. Its automation/DevOps is outstanding for its software development kit.
System Administrator at a recruiting/HR firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Allows us to recognize problems based on thresholds we set up for various resources.

What other advice do I have?

You can and should put the not so obvious devices onto SolarWinds. An example would be a server's back-up power supply. Otherwise you won't realize when the back-up is not functioning until the main power supply goes down and it's too late at that point.
Senior Network Engineer with 1,001-5,000 employees
It helps locate in which region the network is down so that we can take immediate action to restore it.

Valuable Features

Polling engines Alerts Backup configuration

Improvements to My Organization

Basically, it helps in monitoring the device status. It helps locate in which region the network is down so that we take immediate action to restore it.

Room for Improvement

All the software has room for improvement, nothing is perfect.

Use of Solution

I've used it for about five to six years alongside NCM v7.0.2.

We do see issues, but not so many major ones.

No issues encountered yet.

Customer Service: At least an 8/10. Technical Support: At least a 7/10.

Implementation Team

We implemented with a mix of an in-house team and a vendor one.

Other Advice

If your infrastructure is big, and…
Senior Network Administrator at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It has a very large base of information which results in very customizable UnDPs.

What other advice do I have?

Don't assume SolarWinds is the right choice. Evaluate LOTS of other alternatives. These days, SevOne is a very promising competitor. But if you choose SolarWinds, dive into it as deeply as you can. Take advantage of their free online classroom training sessions (it's thousands of dollars for you to pay for from a third-party training vendor).
PC Support Technician at a educational organization with 1,001-5,000 employees
We used it 24/7. It's fairly easy to use.

What is most valuable?

Network performance monitoring was invaluable.

What needs improvement?

We had issues pinpointing the exact location of a problem due to configuration of a particular bandwidth. This was due to the Cisco firewall configuration.

I used it for four years.

No, it's also fairly easy to administrate.

No issues encountered.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: Good. Technical Support: Technical Support has plenty of room for improvement, knowledge of their product was not very strong.

Which

Network & Security Services Manager with 501-1,000 employees
Allows us to provide interfaces to our service desk and other users customized for their needs.

What other advice do I have?

Examine all the products on the market and choose the solution that requires the least amount of interaction with the most amount of usable data. I haven't looked recently so I cant comment if this is that package or not.
Network Engineer at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
Awesome product with a lot of info available and great support team.

What is most valuable?

Multicast

How has it helped my organization?

We are a small ISP in FL. Having this tool has been helping us a lot with time responds critical outages and troubleshooting.

What needs improvement?

Map section and Bandwidth.

Been using Solarwinds now for 4 years and happy with the system.

No issues.

No issues.

Customer Service: 9 out of 10 Technical Support: 10 out of 10

Netcool was just an outdated system.

How was the

Senior Network Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
NPM is very helpful in identifying spanning tree and/or routing issues

What other advice do I have?

Depending on the number of nodes to be monitored, take careful steps to size the polling server & SQL server appropriately. If at all possible, use a dedicated SQL box. Also, take the time to configure all of your network devices to send syslog & traps to the NPM server.
System Analyst with 10,001+ employees
NPM is cost effective and reliable to use. Valuable features include graphical presentation of IT data.

What other advice do I have?

It’s cheap and will easily fulfill the needs of monitoring environment.
Senior Manager - Global Network Ops with 1,001-5,000 employees

What is most valuable?

NPM, NCM, NTA and VNQM.

How has it helped my organization?

Implementing this product has given us detailed visibility and understanding of our network. Small teams are able to manage large enterprise with this tool.

What needs improvement?

EOC.

2 years

Not much. Where we did we were able to avail support from vendor.

None except for EOC.

We have deployed it in distributed model with EOC. EOC has been a pain. We are keen to move to Centralized Deployment which we are yet to test and see if it overcomes limitations of EOC.

How are customer

Sr Infrastructure Engineer at a wellness & fitness company with 1,001-5,000 employees
NPM provides a history of interface behavior that helps in a multifaceted way

What is most valuable?

Interface details and the list of interface charts.

How has it helped my organization?

Being able to provide a history of interface behavior helps the organization in a multifaceted way. Current productivity and interface forecasting.

What needs improvement?

Overall speed of the software could be improved... as it is incredibly slow at times. Polling for items that are in a down state seems to take a long time. This affects up time reporting and metrics.

5 years.

Yes at times there are database stability issues.

Yes we did.

Customer Service: Good. I…
Senior Network at a educational organization with 1,001-5,000 employees
NPM is very easy to scale to your needs

What other advice do I have?

They offer trial periods. I strongly urge you to try Solarwinds NPM and other products as they are a great asset at my organization.
Consultant at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Allows us to quickly respond to network status changes and narrow down performance degradation incidents.
Network Engineer at a logistics company with 1,001-5,000 employees
We needed a way to have visibility into issues on our network.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure that you have the required hardware and dedicated SQL server. Trying to save money can have a major performance problem on your SolarWinds implementation. Make sure you meet the requirements.
Senior Network Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
​Previously we were manually retrieving reports but with NPM it's automated.

What other advice do I have?

It's the best solution on the market so far. I recommend adopting all the latest features in latest update.
Network Engineer at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
I like the "Manage Node" feature which provides me with a quick visual representation based on search strings.

What other advice do I have?

Solarwinds is highly modular regarding products and services so it is important to keep in mind that most other modules have a separate price and licensing tag and that it can become very expensive very quickly. When looking for features try to narrow it down to only the critical ones you need, I prefer simplicity and functionality over complexity – as a company I imagine the complexities came from catering to as many customers’ needs as possible. Lastly prepare to spend a lot of time working and tending to NPM, the biggest time taker I’ve had with NPM personally was getting Overview, Node…
Systems Admin Team Lead at a government with 501-1,000 employees
The Quality of Experience dashboard enables us to analyze application response compared to network response
Field Systems Engineer Level 2 at a tech consulting company
Review of Network Performance Monitor
Disclaimer: I work for a company that has a partnership with Solarwinds and provides services for Solarwinds products. I have had nothing but good things to say about the Solar winds products. I have the pleasure to use NPM, IPSLA, NTA, and Engineers Tool Kit. We have a large network that without NPM would be hard to monitor and find problems. NTA allows us to keep good tabs on what people and systems are doing on our networks. It is nice to know who is playing World of War craft as an example or which server is pegging an interface. IPSLA has giving us the global view of how our network can handle real-time data. We have been able to vastly improve how implement routing and QOS in order to provide better throughput that result in a higher SLA compliance. Network Performance Monitor…
Systems Engineer at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Strengths include steady development and strong focus on Windows but don't install it on a multi purpose server
Solar Winds Orion is a strong contender in network monitoring up to (at least) mid size enterprises. It’s particular strengths are steady development and a strong focus on Windows. This focus gives it the ability to drill deeper into application monitoring with less effort than most of it’s competitors through WMI. SNMP is also supported for non windows devices to round out the mix. The interface is primarily the web console, which is highly configurable and can display completely different options for different users/groups. However, building maps and setting most alerts require a separate installed application for the former and console access to the Orion server for the latter. Orion uses MS SQL on the back end, and with more than a small network requires a…
Network Engineer at a media company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Email & GUI alert system are valuable for me but response to support tickets that are not network down impacting is slow

What other advice do I have?

Utilize this product to its full potential, NOC will find it very useful and easy to manage.
Systems Engineer at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
SolarWinds has a library of applications that add additional functionality for a great price
I have used Orion for quite a long time - almost 10 years, and while the work that requires remote access to the server is annoying, more is gradually moved to the web interface with almost every upgrade. Of course, SolarWinds has a library of applications that add additional functionality and, as such things go the cost is not great, and you can pick and choose what you need.
Senior Manager of IT at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
Solarwinds takes traditional log-centric EM, re-conceives it & brings it forward to address the realities of today
Discovery – Event Management In the early days of networking, when computing resources were primarily used for research, “network management”, was unheard of. Today high-speed computer networks have become not only a necessity of doing business but a way of life. In the future dense servers will be expected to do more than just undertake menial data center workloads such as serving up web page front-ends. Network virtualization and tiered storage are set to be the next big consolidation in the data center. Network connections are seemingly ubiquitous whether it involves our smart phone, laptop, or opportunities offered by big data/analytics. Almost every aspect of our society relies in some way on computer data networks. When there is a breakdown in these…
Network Engineer at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
Out of the box, Solarwinds Network Performance Monitor does an adequate job of monitoring the basics of your network. Things like Bandwidth Utilization, syslog capture and reporting, circuit outages, etc. However, If you REALLY want to get the information we crave, you need to buy some of the plug-ins. You start out with NTA, Netflow Traffic Analyzer. Now you don't just know that your bandwidth is being consumed. You know WHAT is taking a big bite out of that ALWAYS important bandwidth. Is it legitimate traffic and you need to add bandwidth or is it frivolous and you need to block it? Next, if you operate call centers you might want to add on the VoiP and Network Quality Manager. I'm unfamiliar with this but it must have evolved from IP SLA Manager, a product I loved for it's ability to…
Network Manager at a consultancy with 501-1,000 employees
The latest iteration is an extremely powerful tool
I have used Solarwinds NPM since it was Orion. I have found that with a little effort, the latest iteration is an extremely powerful tool. I leaves Openview in the dust. The reports can be customized with either a simple interface with a complex SQL query. Alerting is superb. You can even set the alerts so that you will not get flooded when key components fail (as in WAN links) The licencing is not actually per node, but three levels of maximun and an unlimited. Either way, the pricing is extremely reasonable and the anual is for supporty and upgrades. The people at Solarwinds have always been very responsive.
Senior Manager of IT at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
Inspect what you Expect: The Importance of Monitoring
Recently I had the opportunity to sit down with a few leaders from various disciplines within IT. One of the biggest concerns that were voiced was the ability to effectively monitor the performance of their enterprise, systems and other assets. Having been in their position, I completely understood their frustration…one that’s played out almost daily in IT. Yet, even in crisis situations, few IT leaders are able decipher the handwriting on the wall until it’s too late. When the famous luxury ship Titanic struck the iceberg, it took two and a half hours to sink. But although the hull was ripped and water was rushing into the compartments, when the first lifeboat was launched, there were only 28 people in it, despite its capacity to hold 65. In life – like on the Titanic – there are only a…
User with 51-200 employees
Overall NPM is a great product
I've been working with this product for almost 10 years. It has improved significantly, but the out-of-the-box metrics don't cut it for me. The discovery capabilities for custom metrics are limited because many MIBs have unique ways of defining instances and much meta-data that can't be easily captured with the existing interface. Reporting has its downfalls as well. The reports have great sex-appeal, but little flexibility to combine metrics or aggregate the data in unique ways. Take a product like Netcool Proviso - you can do almost anything with discovery and data, but it's much more expensive, support stinks, and the reports are ugly as sin. Overall NPM is a great product. The TWACK community adds much that is lacking.
Network Engineer at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
SolarWinds NPM can monitor all SNMP supported devices in real time. But why can't it run in Chrome?

What other advice do I have?

Solarwinds NPM has lots of features not found in some other network performance monitoring tools e.g. seamless integration with Microsoft Active Directory. It can easily scale up when there is a need to support and monitor higher number of devices without impacting the overall performance. There are certain pain points that need to be addressed like improving the overall user interface and support for more number of web browsers.
Sr System Engineer at a outsourcing company with 501-1,000 employees
Robust and highly scalable monitoring with a comprehensive view of the network. But it lacks a good UI.

What other advice do I have?

Our company needed a highly reliable network and bandwidth manager/monitor as we were unable to monitor all servers /networks manually. Our search finally ended at this Orion’s NPM tool which has great scalability and reliability.
User with 51-200 employees
Feature rich, nice interface, and relatively inexpensive

Valuable Features:

Feature rich produce suite that addresses many aspects of BSM. Thwack community is constantly making suggestions and improvements.

Room for Improvement:

There isn't a great deal of flexibility to create custom metrics that can be discovered easily or custom aggregation schemes.
Network Engineer at a tech consulting company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Solid monitoring tool with lots of extra features and highly customizable
Solarwinds Network Performance Monitor (NPM) is a powerful, scalable network monitoring tool. It has a vast range of features, and a large number of expansion plugins that can add functionality for almost any need. Some of the main features of the Network Performance Monitor include: Great UI – SolarWinds has consistently good UI design that makes it easy for administrators to manage the network. Customizable dashboards make it easy to view status of key services. If a problem arises simply click and drill-down to view devices and their components like network interfaces, CPU, etc. Monitoring – SNMP or WMI monitoring is SolarWinds’ big strength. But NPM also can function as a Syslog server (see also What is Syslog' - http://www.networkmanagementsoftware.com/what-is-syslog), and…
Network Engineer at a university with 51-200 employees
Solarwinds network performance monitor adds flexibility and ease of management. It monitors network devices and their states.
Network Engineer at a retailer with 51-200 employees
The most efficient Network Performance Monitor with its added characteristics like sniffing, alerting system, and fault discovery.

What other advice do I have?

The monitoring system of Orion is powerful and has become a positive feature in the company. Latest versions need no extra training, further software installation, added licensing, and no other exertion. Updates are flawless and consistent. The application is highly self documented and sufficiently instinctive and competent, reasonably priced, and flexible. For basic enterprise network monitoring or a complete set of network diagnostic tools and monitors, Orion is the best option for its complete attribute set and simplicity of use.
Network Manager at a healthcare company with 51-200 employees
Orion NPM is a great real time network activity & performance tracking utility. Web interface is great, but needs minor improvements

What other advice do I have?

SolarWinds Orion NPM tracks bottlenecks in your network infrastructure and lets you troubleshoot them before a disaster happens. It uses protocols and tools like ICMP, SNMP, Cisco NetFlow, and Syslog to provide you with the alerts and statistics you need to run your network at optimal performance and speed. The product is easy to deploy on top of an IIS and .Net framework. It also has excellent built-in thresholds and alerts available to help you get started, yet provides the option to create custom thresholds and alerts as required by your specific network and infrastructure requirements. A…
Director of IT at a tech company with 51-200 employees
Network Performance Monitor (NPM) is the SolarWinds Orion entry in the monitoring and alerting systems market.

What other advice do I have?

NPM uses Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP) ping requests to gather basic connectivity and response-time information. It allows network devices that support this, to gather additional information, by using SNMP queries and Cisco IOS NetFlow. NPM can also receive Syslog output and SNMP traps for error detection and alerting. Add-on modules let Orion NPM monitor NetFlow devices, wireless appliances, and VoIP networks and also let NPM monitor more devices as your network grows. Whether you want basic enterprise network monitoring or a full suite of network diagnostic tools and monitors, I…
Network Engineer at a manufacturing company with 5,001-10,000 employees
We moved from nGenius to Orion NPM about 3 years ago and are very happy with the performance, features, and pricing
Network Engineer at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
Quick to get up and running, but not as granular out-of-the-box as you would expect.

What other advice do I have?

It has now been about 3 weeks since we launched the Orion Network Performance Monitor and Netflow Traffic Analyzer. We chose this product based on colleague recommendations.
Download our free SolarWinds NPM Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.