SolidFire Overview

SolidFire is the #14 ranked solution in our list of best All-Flash Storage Arrays. It is most often compared to VMware vSAN: SolidFire vs VMware vSAN

What is SolidFire?

SolidFire delivers all five core elements needed to deliver newfound storage agility to your next generation data center and beyond. With SolidFire you can deploy new applications and capabilities faster, provide more agile and scalable infrastructure, increase application performance and predictability, enable automation and end-user self-service and raise operational efficiency and reduce cost.

SolidFire Buyer's Guide

Download the SolidFire Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: December 2020

SolidFire Customers
California Public Utilities Commission, RFA, 1&1, Ultimate Software , Endicia, ezVerify, MercadoLibre, Sungard Availability Services, ServInt, Elastx, Hosted Network, Colt, Crucial, iWeb, Datapipe, Databarracks
SolidFire Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about SolidFire pricing:
  • "The price of this solution is more expensive than others."

SolidFire Reviews

Mir Gulzar Ahmed
Manager IT at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Dec 3, 2020
Simple to deploy and has good stability

What is our primary use case?

Because I'm also a PC guy for my company and in Pakistan there is not a third-person specific guy for a client or specific job, we are also doing the very tough job as the IT specialists. So I have to look after the solution, the technical stuff, and also the deployment. I am personally working in all three departments. I have to, because it's my job as the head of IT in my company. We are a resellers, so we are actually giving solutions to our customers. Regarding SolidFire, it's a very good storage solution when you are looking for a software defined data center. SolidFire provides seamless… more »

• "SolidFire provides seamless performance across your storage system when you need to scale up. Other storage systems do not do that."
  • "SolidFire should start from two nodes instead of the four nodes. That's the only thing. In a lot of solutions, we have to use four nodes, that's the better thing. But as a starting point, two is better. That's why their starting point is expensive."

What other advice do I have?

We are in a crisis situation for everyone, for customers, for partners, for principals, manufacturers. We need a specific solution to move on to the new normal. So from the available solutions, HCI (Hyper Converged Infrastructure) would be the future of IT. HCI is the future, it is easy faster to deploy collectively. You don't need to buy frequently - just buy once and scale out when you need more resources. So, I think for the customers want their IT to have a continuous support and response for business needs, then they should choose HCI solutions. I will advise to choose HCI from NetApp…
Arnaud Salmon
Presales Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Nov 17, 2020
Good functionality, excellent performance, and integrates well with other solutions

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily for a hyper-converged solution, and the hyper-converged solution with NetApp HCI is to address the most common workloads, generic workloads, also workloads around VDI. It's primarily for everything around performance, around software like the CAD suite, and around scientific completion.

• "I would say in terms of architecture and in terms of functionality, the product is quite good."
  • "You don't have business continuity with SolidFire. I think it could be a nice feature to have in the future."

What other advice do I have?

We're a distributor. SolidFire is on its own standard storage platform, and, as it's embedded with HCI from NetApp, adds to the storage for the hyper-converged solution. There are a lot of use cases for SolidFire within HCI. It can address most of the workloads we have on the customer side. It's really something. We can build solutions that really fit the customer and we can size the compute as needed. For the VMware server, we use ESX, and we can also add into the compute nodes some CPU cards for all that is graphic or scientific calculations. On the storage side, we can build the storage we…
Learn what your peers think about SolidFire. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2020.
455,301 professionals have used our research since 2012.
ArnaudSalmon
Presales Engineer at Tech Data Corporation
Jun 1, 2020
Easy to use, good performance and security, with proactive technical support

What is our primary use case?

We are a distributor and this is one of the products that we resell. I work with the entire NetApp portfolio. It is used by our clients as a block storage solution.

• "The dashboard is such that you don't need to be a storage expert to administer it."
  • "The inclusion of more protocols and interfaces would make it easier to integrate with other products."

What other advice do I have?

Most of the time when we sell SolidFire, it is integrated with NetApp HCI. Together, they make up part of a whole package that includes servers, compute, storage, and network. SolidFire can be fun in standalone mode but most of the time, if we have a need for flash storage then we will use the EF-Series. We also have the AFF storage with ONTAP as an option. My advice to anybody who is implementing this solution is to make sure that it is properly designed. There are always things that you need to be aware of when designing an efficient system. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
PatrickStienhuber
IT Infrastructure Consultant at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Nov 2, 2019
Scalability provides good benefits, but too expensive to use company-wide

• "The most valuable feature of this solution is its scalability."
  • "This solution would be improved if it were made to be more compatible with other products."

What other advice do I have?

The suitability of this solution depends on the use case, so anybody who is researching this solution should take care to consider their use cases first. I cannot think of any additional features this solution needs, but there is a long list of improvements. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
reviewer970524
Founder, President and CEO with 201-500 employees
Aug 21, 2020
Competitively priced and easy to use with great technical support

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used as an on-premises VMWare based application provisioning platform.

• "The system efficiency is excellent overall."
  • "The user interface needs to be improved. Much of the client feedback involves comments such as "Oh, it's hard to navigate through.""

What other advice do I have?

I'd recommend the solution. Implementing it is a breeze, support is good and scaling is easy. If you do not have a lot of technical capability on-premise, that would certainly be a leading reason to look at this solution.
reviewer1098957
Technical Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Nov 14, 2019
Good resiliency and performs very well without any bugs

What is our primary use case?

I work as a technical consultant and our company are resellers. We sell hyper-converged solutions to our customers. We use mainly NetApp HCI and SolidFire. We use a variety of versions depending on the customer's requirements. Our main use of the product is for ESX environments and Hyper-V environments.

• "If you buy the solution for its specific purpose it will work well."
  • "They could make the mNode more user-friendly. Now you need to configure and add nodes by CLI and it’s not really easy to manage. If they created a web interface to do the management of the mNode, that would be great!."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a nine out of ten.
Steven Law
CEO and founder at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Jan 21, 2019
You can have more tenants and more application with less space and less dollar per gigabyte

• "The quality of service for minimum iOS, to maximum iOS in a multi-terminal environment is very powerful. The SQL service feature is the best part of SolidFire."
  • "I think there is room for improvement needed with its storage capability. A bigger node is needed."
reviewer1117053
CTO at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Apr 14, 2020
Good performance and managability, but technical support needs a lot of improvement

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and SolidFire is one of the products that we implement for our customers. It is used for virtualization.

• "The most valuable feature is the performance, as well as how you manage performance on the system."
  • "The technical support is really bad and has to be improved."

What other advice do I have?

Rating this solution is difficult because I would rate SolidFire very high and NetApp very low. I have no trouble with features but we need the proper support. Whether I would recommend this solution depends on the requirements, although without knowing more, I would recommend something else. Overall, I would rate this solution a five out of ten.