Solr OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Solr is #7 ranked solution in top Search as a Service vendors. IT Central Station users give Solr an average rating of 8 out of 10. Solr is most commonly compared to Amazon Kendra:Solr vs Amazon Kendra. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 27% of all views.
What is Solr?
Solr is highly reliable, scalable and fault tolerant, providing distributed indexing, replication and load-balanced querying, automated failover and recovery, centralized configuration and more. Solr powers the search and navigation features of many of the world's largest internet sites.

Download the Search as a Service Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Solr Customers
eHarmony, Sears, StubHub, Best Buy, Instagram, Netflix, Disney, AT&T, eBay, AOL, Bloomberg, Comcast, Ticketmaster, Travelocity, MTV Networks

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Solr pricing:
  • "The only costs in addition to the standard licensing fees are related to the hardware, depending on whether it is cloud-based, or on-premise."

Solr Reviews

KY
Senior Search Engineer at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
The Natural Language Search capability is helpful and intuitive for our users

• "The most valuable feature is the ability to perform a natural language search."
  • "The performance for this solution, in terms of queries, could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to enable content search for the enterprise.

How has it helped my organization?

Our users are now able to find ETFs and their documents that are scattered across different repositories. It is proven because we have a consistent 80% of users who are using the application every month.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ability to perform a natural language search. That is helpful because users tend to use natural language when doing research.

What needs improvement?

The performance for this solution, in terms of queries, could be improved.

Improvements with the backend and capability could be made so that it is easier for the engineers to maintain it.

Three years.

This solution is very stable. It has very few operational hiccups.

It is a highly scalable solution. It is a distributed system that can scale infinitely, horizontally.

Everybody uses the system. Eighty percent of the users in the whole enterprise, from management to ground level staff, use it at different times of the week, and at different times of the year. We do not have plans to increase our usage at this point, as it is at a comfortable level.

Technical support is pretty good. There are also internet-based community groups who are knowledgeable with respect to this solution.

We did use a previous solution, but we switched in order to cut costs and have more flexibility over the solution.

The initial setup is complex because this is a distributed system, and you have to make sure that every individual node is aware of every other node in existence. This search engine has a large capacity, so you need to make sure that there is enough buffer space.

We took one month to deploy and perform a fresh setup. Our strategy was to start with a local data center, before venturing into cross data center replicas.

A staff size of two to four people is suitable for deploying and maintaining the solution, depending upon the scale. They would set up the solution and put monitoring in place for the indexing jobs, as well as design the schema so that the data can feed well.

We used a service provider to assist with the migration and setup.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anyone interested in implementing this solution is to make sure that somebody who is experienced with this product is on the team. It is best to get mistakes out of the way early.

This is an infinitely scalable product with state-of-the-art technology, and the value of Natural Language Search is tremendous.

RZ
Data Scientist at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Good indexing and decent stability, but requires more documentation

• "One of the best aspects of the solution is the indexing. It's already indexed to all the fields in the category. We don't need to spend so much extra effort to do the indexing. It's great."
  • "It does take a little bit of effort to use and understand the solution. It would help us a lot if the solution offered up more documentation or tutorials to help with training or troubleshooting."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution in the telecommunications industry.

What is most valuable?

One of the best aspects of the solution is the indexing. It's already indexed to all the fields in the category. We don't need to spend so much extra effort to do the indexing. It's great.

What needs improvement?

The solution's grammar and syntax should be easier.

It does take a little bit of effort to use and understand the solution. It would help us a lot if the solution offered up more documentation or tutorials to help with training or troubleshooting.

MongoDB can realize more complex operations than Solr can. Solr should add some more complex operations to the database to at least bring it up to MondoDB's level of functionality. It would make it more competitive.

There might be some compatibility issues between the data types within Solr. This needs to be improved.

Solr has a schema that we have to load the schema as an HTML, or SML file. This usually needs to be done by our engineers. It should be easier to do without needing too much technical background.

We've been using the solution for more than one and a half years.

The stability is pretty good. however, I wouldn't say that it is as stable as MongoDB. Mongo is much more reliable.

I'm unsure about the scalability of the solution. We have ten people in our team, and out of those, four people actually work on it. They're mostly data engineers. I'm not sure if we plan to increase usage or not in the future.

I haven't really dealt with technical support. I've mostly just gone through online tutorials to get help. I find those lacking, however. They need work so that they would actually be more useful for people.

We also use MongoDB. Solr is better than MongoDB because the Solr already indexes to all in their categorical field. We find that Solr also sometimes offers better performance. However, we do find that MongoDB is better for more complex operations.

I'm unsure about the initial setup. Our data engineer handled the implementation. I didn't participate in the process, so I can't speak to how straightforward or complex it was.

Our data engineer handled the process for us. It was handled in house.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers. We don't have a business relationship with the company.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

Product Categories
Search as a Service
Download our free Search as a Service Report and find out what your peers are saying about Apache, Microsoft, Elastic, and more!