SonicWall Capture Advanced Threat Protection OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

SonicWall Capture Advanced Threat Protection is the #15 ranked solution in our list of top Advanced Threat Protection (ATP) tools. It is most often compared to Palo Alto Networks WildFire: SonicWall Capture Advanced Threat Protection vs Palo Alto Networks WildFire

What is SonicWall Capture Advanced Threat Protection?

SonicWall Capture, a cloud based service available with SonicWall firewalls, revolutionizes advanced threat detection and sandboxing with a multi-engine approach to stopping unknown and zero-day attacks at the gateway, and with automated remediation. Customers benefit from high security effectiveness, fast response times and reduced total cost of ownership.

Download the Advanced Threat Protection (ATP) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

SonicWall Capture Advanced Threat Protection Customers

Wonder Cement, Foster Clark Products

SonicWall Capture Advanced Threat Protection Video

Archived SonicWall Capture Advanced Threat Protection Reviews (more than two years old)

RV
IT Administrator at Sandton Radiology
Stable and reliably secures us against incoming threats

• "The ATP (Advanced Threat Protection) on scanning is the most valuable feature."
  • "The setup needs improvement. It needs to be made more user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is threat protection, securing ourselves from any incoming threats.

The deployment model we are using is on-premises.

What is most valuable?

This is a solid solution that fills the requirements.

The ATP (Advanced Threat Protection) on scanning is the most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

The setup needs improvement. It needs to be made more user-friendly.

They don’t offer training for this solution. Instead, you have to jump in and figure it out and rely on Google searches for everything you want to learn about.

We are satisfied with technical support.

This solution is stable.

We had one short-lived bug in one of the firewalls and it was probably just bad luck.

It was one out of the four of our firewalls, other than that one, we have not had any issues.

We have one hundred users.

I have not had to use technical support.

We have been using SonicWall for six years. I don’t know what they were using prior to that.

The initial setup is complex.

It is not user-friendly.

The product was already on-site.

What other advice do I have?

We do not have a business relationship with SonicWall, we are customers.

MuraliGovindarajan
Senior Manager - Information Technology at Bahrain Kuwait Insurance
When compared to other solutions, it is cheaper and more economical

• "We get alert messages whenever there is a new threat. We are notified at the firewall level that things are blocked, which keeps us in our comfort zone."
  • "SonicWall should promote their roadmap and improve their marketing to customers."
  • "We would like to get immediate alerts from the alerting system without using third-parties."

What is our primary use case?

We are migrating our firewall to the latest version: NSA 4650.

We use this solution on cloud.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the alerting system.

For a small to medium customer, it is a cost-effective value. It does all the basic requirements. It fulfills all of our requirements. We get alert messages whenever there is a new threat. We are notified at the firewall level that things are blocked, which keeps us in our comfort zone.

What needs improvement?

The support is good, but there is room for improvement.

We have been using this solution for almost four years.

Because they came out of Dell EMC, we haven't faced any major issues.

Scalability is okay. We get our value for our money.

Since we have the local partner, technical support is fine. Whenever we open a case, we are supported well (both from the local partner and SonicWall).

We are also using Cisco IronPort for Microsoft Office 365 and email.

The initial setup was not that complicated. It's okay.

We used the local partners here.

It provides value for money spent.

When you compare it with other solutions, they are cheaper and more economical. SonicWall covers most of the things.

Find out what your peers are saying about SonicWall, Palo Alto Networks, Fortinet and others in Advanced Threat Protection (ATP). Updated: October 2021.
542,721 professionals have used our research since 2012.
LQ
IT Supervisor at a construction company with 501-1,000 employees
Has prevented any security breaches or crashes and has good stability

• "The stability of the solution is good. We haven't had any breaches or crashes. It's been very stable for us."
  • "If anything at all, it would be some very minor updates that need to be done, but in terms of changes, nothing comes to mind."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for a firewall and to build VPN services.

How has it helped my organization?

We have not had any breaches or problems since implementing this solution. It has served us well.

What is most valuable?

So far, the solution has been fine for us. We are using it as a firewall.

What needs improvement?

There isn't any module or feature that I would say is deficient or is lacking. For us, it's just fine. If anything at all, it would be some very minor updates that need to be done, but in terms of changes, nothing comes to mind.

I've been using the solution for four and a half years.

The stability of the solution is good. We haven't had any breaches or crashes. It's been very stable for us.

Technical support has been fine. The last couple of times we've needed them, our issues were handled in a timely manner. All the challenges we have had have been resolved.

The initial setup was very easy. It was very straightforward. It wasn't something that we had to struggle with. It wasn't something that we had to fall on SonicWall for support because the setup with both of the devices was straightforward enough.

The pricing is manageable. It's not expensive. We're a small business, and for our needs, it's fine.

What other advice do I have?

We only use SonicWall for our protection. We don't use any other solutions. For the past four and a half years, we haven't had any breaches or issues of any kind.

I would rate the solution eight out of ten.

Katlego Phogole
Business Solutions Consultant at Call IT Services
Protects against zero-day threats and has good automation options

• "I like this setup for a firewall. You can set things up very easily and you can automate items as well. It's a very robust firewall solution for enterprise as well as small businesses."
  • "I would say the solution needs a much simpler user interface, but the functionality of the firewall is quite extensive. You need the user interface to be that way. However, if there was a way to make the user interface a little easier, that would be great."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily implement the solution for our clients.

What is most valuable?

I enjoy SonicWall as a package. I really like the fact that they robust firewall solution for enterprises It's known to protect against zero-day threats and that's awesome for my IT security system. Also, in terms of optimizing network traffic for specific applications that may need it more than others, the solution is great.

I like this setup for a firewall. You can set things up very easily and you can automate items as well. It's a very robust firewall solution for enterprises as well as small businesses.

What needs improvement?

I would say the solution needs a much simpler user interface, but the functionality of the firewall is quite extensive. You do need the user interface to be that way, however, if there was a way to figure out how to make the user interface a little easier, that would be great. Right now, you can always watch tutorials to figure stuff out.

I've been using the solution for one year.

The solution is very stable.

The solution is scalable. It is very easy to upgrade if you need to grow.

Technical support has been good. SonicWall is very responsive when you input any issues.

The initial setup is very straightforward. The wizard is quite helpful. How long the deployment takes depends on the size of the network. I usually do things over the weekend so I will come in on a Saturday morning and set up the firewall, which is about half an hour to an hour. After that, I connect everything up and look through it. For deployment, you can do it alone. The number of staff you need for maintenance depends on the size of the network.

I did try Sophos. I was told to try Fortinet as well but I didn't end up evaluating the solution.

What other advice do I have?

We work with the on-premises version of the solution.

I would recommend the solution. It works for all sizes of business and they have different versions of the firewall for different sizes of companies. They have TZ400 for larger companies. It goes up depending on the scale of the business you are trying to implement it into.

I would rate the solution eight out of ten.

TB
Infrastructure Consultant at Techtonics
Enables us to select the file if it's malicious and see what triggered it

• "The reporting that you get from it is the most valuable feature. You can see it via the appliance itself, and also via the MySonicWall account for the registered device. You are able to select the file if it's malicious, and you can select it in the reporting and see what triggered it, and things like that. I found that to be quite useful."
  • "Having an on-premise solution as well would be an option for some people, but they'll want to use a cloud solution for their sandboxing. Certain sites would want to keep all the checks done on an on-premise appliance. All the checking, rather than sending that up into a cloud engine."

How has it helped my organization?

We have only been using it for a short while but it's definitely given us a level of protection at the edge device. We're not at the moment using the Capture endpoint stuff, but we are also looking at that product as well, which actually allows you to run Capture for the client. We use another product for our endpoint solution at the moment.

What is most valuable?

Also, the ability to be able to actually turn it on and off based on the requirements on the firewall in which you can actually just have it turned on for everyone or you can turn it on based on users, exclusion lists, and things like that.

What needs improvement?

At the moment it seems to be pretty good. I can't compare it to the competitors' products out there at the moment. I'm aware of Sophos Sandboxing, Sophos Sandstorm product as a similar solution. The advantage of the SonicWall product is that it uses three different virus checking engines, which we find is quite a strong advantage it has over some of the other products.

They should have a virtual appliance that you could deploy on your own infrastructure or your own hosted infrastructure to do all of the virus checking and stuff. Then maybe you would be able to have more control over the files that are getting checked.

They should tie it in with analytics, they're doing a lot with the Google analytics stuff, which Capture is tying in with. They've got the product integrated in with the with email security appliance and the remote access appliances as well, which is quite a strong solution.

Less than one year.

It has been stable. We haven't had any major issues. We do have a special client site that has a separate DMZ that uses a lot of PlayStations and games so for testing games and PlayStation stuff that we keep isolated in a separate isolated network. We did find that the Capture with that did cause a few issues with them so we've excluded them from the Capture because they don't need it. They actually download stuff to test, they do certification testing on games, it's basically for the Office of Film and Literature classification, certifications. Things like that can happen, but there are easy ways around the firewall to exclude or manage those. As far as the stability of the product, it hasn't caused a stability issue or anything on the firewalls so far.

Scalability wise, it is really scalable. It also ties in quite well with the DPI and SSL stuff on the firewall. You can inspect HTTP and SSL traffic. The advantage is it works on all the scan ports on the firewall for DPI and SSL. It runs from the lower inboxes right up to the large super message boxes. The product is set up similar across the whole range. It scales quite well. It depends whether they look at it as an on-premise solution as well. It might give some clients an option to scale it a bit better for their site.

Generally, one of our clients is about a 100-user site. We're a 30-user site. There are a few people around 50- to 100-user sites. Mainly around 30- to 50-user sites. We mainly have small and medium businesses that use this solution.

We've used SonicWall for quite a while for our clients.

The initial setup was pretty much really straightforward. You just license it on the firewall through the MySonicWall portal. It comes in a bundle with the AGS Global Security Suite License. You just get it activated, licensed, and it just syncs the license to the appliance. Once you've synced it, you just go and activate it in the appliance and turn it on. You tell it what data center you want to use for the cloud and there are about five different data centers that SonicWall provides around the world for the sandboxing. You just tell it what data center you use. Once you do that, it activates on the appliance, and you can then start enabling the scanning. You can just set it up, there's quite an easy option, just to set up a test group if you want to only assign it to do the scanning on a certain subnet on your network, a certain VLAN, or a certain group of workstations. It's pretty straightforward, it's a very straightforward screen to turn on. You can then select what file types you want scanned, for example, PDFs, macros dot files, XLS files. You can select which ones you want to scan and you can turn it on gradually so you can have a test group. You don't have to turn it on globally initially, you can just ebb people on to it. It's definitely straightforward, quite easy to set up, and it's less intrusive for the clients.

It takes half an hour to activate it and set it up, and get it pointing to the data center. Then the strategy really is just selecting the test group users, which you can just create a simple object group on the firewall and add certain test users into that.

We did the implementation ourselves and for our clients.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. Whether it's the SonicWall solution or a competitive product, firewall product solution that has a similar sandboxing type of thing has become quite an essential part of a security footprint. I would recommend clients utilize technology as part of their assisted solution, whether it's SonicWall or it's Sophos or another competing product.

They're strong for the small and medium business. They can scale up into the medium enterprise market. They have a strong suite of products. We use the firewall product across all our line of people, and we've had pretty good experience with them.

I would rate it an eight out of ten because their products integrate well. The inspection is quite strong and they don't use proxies. They can scan packets on all ports, not just the well-known ports. On all ports, they can scan the file and they don't have a size limit on the file that they can scan. Whereas some of the other product only inspect the packets up to a certain file size.

JeffGrant
Vice President at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Reseller
We use it for protection against viruses and ransomware attacks

• "We use it for protection against viruses and ransomware attacks."
  • "They have a large database of commonly known things that they can catch automatically, then they have anything which is questionable go to the sandbox and be examined there before going into our network."
  • "SonicWall had a recent layoff. This is a concern for us, because now we are missing the local presence from both the engineering and sales side."
  • "It does fare well against enterprise products."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for protection against viruses and ransomware attacks. People click on stuff that they shouldn't be but do anyway, then we are just hoping the tool catches it before it hits us.

How has it helped my organization?

So far, we haven't been hit with anything, which is good.

What is most valuable?

They have a large database of commonly known things that they can catch automatically, then they have anything which is questionable go to the sandbox and be examined there before going into our network. They'll block anything bad. If it's something that needs further testing, and if it ultimately checks clean, then they'll release it.

What needs improvement?

It does fare well against enterprise products.

So far, stability is fine.

The upgrade is not where it should be.

It seems like they're doing pretty well with scalability.

While technical support is good, SonicWall had a recent layoff. This is a concern for us, because now we are missing the local presence from both the engineering and sales side.

We are a SonicWall reseller. We were working with this product before it was bought by Dell, and even after they were purchased by Dell. The capture was just an add-on to existing firewalls that we already owned.

The initial setup was easy. We have the antivirus intrusion detection.

For our engineers, the capture piece did take a little more time, though not because it was complex.

SonicWall came out with a new add-on. It was inexpensive to add-on to the existing product that we already owned, so we added it.

The best deal from SonicWall is to buy the HA pair. When you buy the initial one, you receive the second one at a significant discount. If there is an event and something happens to one firewall, then you have the second firewall to roll into. For the price, it's pretty to tough to beat and not a lot of other firewall vendors offer it. You battle for a discount on both. Where with SonicWall, if you buy one, the second one is at half price. It's pretty straightforward.

I'm seeing a lot of our locations changing out and moving toward Fortinet. I think it's because Fortinet is selling more than just a firewall. They are selling the total package.

We lean towards SonicWall because of our experience with them. We've had it for a long time. As our data center increased in size, we stayed with SonicWall.

What other advice do I have?

It is for a small to medium sized customer.

I think there is a network between the vendors where something that becomes known to one becomes known to all.