SonicWall Email Security OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

SonicWall Email Security is #21 ranked solution in top Email Security tools. IT Central Station users give SonicWall Email Security an average rating of 8 out of 10. SonicWall Email Security is most commonly compared to Barracuda Email Security Gateway:SonicWall Email Security vs Barracuda Email Security Gateway. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 27% of all views.
What is SonicWall Email Security?
SonicWALL Email Security Platform offers powerful protection to keep email threats out. And sensitive data in. With innovative protection techniques for both inbound and outbound email plus unique management tools, the Email Security platform delivers superior email protection today while standing ready to stop the new attacks of tomorrow.

SonicWall Email Security was previously known as Dell SonicWALL Email Security Platform, SonicWall Hosted Email Security.

Download the Email Security Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

SonicWall Email Security Customers
Star Kay White, Locala Community Partnerships
SonicWall Email Security Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about SonicWall Email Security pricing:
  • "We have a two-year license subscription and the price is very high."

SonicWall Email Security Reviews

AmirSyed
Director / CEO at ZAM Food Industry Pvt Ltd
An important component of our secure network that protects us against spam and malware

• "This solution provides very good email security that protects us against spamming and malware."
  • "We would like to see more information on a dashboard about what is happening when it comes to spamming and malware."

What is our primary use case?

We use SonicWall Email Security as part of our secure environment. It monitors email and all activities from the office to the cloud. We have a hybrid cloud, which is a public cloud that has a private portal with security.

We experience a lot of spamming and we have deployed this solution to help control those types of attacks.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The cost is very high and should be improved.

It should include additional monitoring tools to identify computers that are causing problems. We are using third-party tools for this but they should be embedded directly into the solution. Ideally, we would like to be able to monitor all of the client email activities inside our network. We would like to see more information on a dashboard about what is happening when it comes to spamming and malware. SolarWinds is one of the monitoring tools that we are using.

We have been SonicWall Email Security for four to five years.

The stability is not 100%. I would say that it is better than okay, but it can still be improved in terms of monitoring. There are some glitches that happened, although we were able to fix them.

This is a very scalable solution. We have approximately 200 users between our head office and regional office. We may increase our usage within the next three to five years.

We have not been in contact with technical support. Our own IT team is managing our email security and have been able to resolve any issues.

We did not use another solution prior to this one.

I would say that the initial setup is of moderate difficulty. It is not simple nor complex.

The deployment took one or two days and required one or two people. After the deployment, we are continuously monitoring and using this solution on a daily basis. We do not manage it every day, but it is always doing the monitoring.

We do have a consultant and an integrator from the company that provided the hardware. They assisted us with the deployment are supporting us with all of our SonicWall products. They are SonicWall-certified network engineers.

We have a two-year license subscription and the price is very high.

There are other solutions that work similarly to SonicWall that have a lower price. Because of the cost, we are now evaluating other products with the intention to replace all of our SonicWall products when the license expires.

What other advice do I have?

We also use the SonicWall firewall solution, which has many features to secure our local network. It protects each of the ports on all of our PCs and they are secured from outside of the network. It provides broadcast controlling, multi-layered security, and more. They provide a lot of features that other firewalls do not have and it is the most powerful one that I have seen.

My advice for anybody who is considering this solution is to first perform a feature comparison with other products and look at the new technology that is out there. That is the way to find the best option.

Overall, this is a solution that provides good security but at a very high cost.

Hybrid Cloud
A.H.M. Amimul Ahsan
Managing director at Avalon Technology Ltd
Many valuable features with user friendly interface; updates should be released more frequently

• "There are no wasted extras and the interface is really simple."
  • "Updates could be released more frequently."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case of Email Security is for email scanning. The solution checks for spam or phishing activities, as well as viruses of any sort. I'm the managing director of the company and we have a partnership with Sonicwall.

What is most valuable?

I think all the features are valuable. There are no wasted extras and the interface is really simple, so even if you don't have an IT background you can understand the working procedure, and how systems are monitored.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see updates released more frequently and it would be helpful if the solution could catch ransomware more quickly than other OEMs. Those are the two main things that could be improved. Previously, we had an issue with a faulty appliance and had to wait over two weeks for a replacement. It really shouldn't take that long. For some reason, SonicWall hasn't developed a marketing strategy here in Bangladesh and they should work on that. People here know about Cisco and Barracuda and Dell, but SonicWall is far behind and I have to convince clients to try it.

I've been using this solution for a year.

The solution is reliable and stable. It may be a little behind Barracuda but we haven't had any problems.

Scalability is okay overall. We've just completed implementation on a project and the scalability was fine.

We're satisfied with the customer support and so are our clients.

The process of implementation was complex because our engineers are not sufficiently trained in SonicWall and we were reliant on support from Switzerland. It was complicated. I wouldn't say that the solution requires maintenance but there are rule changes that occur and need to be applied to email security.

Licensing costs are middle of the road; not the cheapest, but not the most expensive. I think it would be helpful if they would lower their prices for a couple of years until the product becomes more well known here. Barracuda is expensive but everyone knows the name and they're willing to pay the price.

What other advice do I have?

SonicWall has various kinds of email security appliances for small, mid-level enterprise, and large-level enterprise organizations. If the email security engine is up to the mark, there is no issue. It's very flexible - the project I'm working on now has 300 users, but they're planning to increase to 1,000 users and possibly eventually 2,000 users. If costs are prohibitive for the on-prem version, then I'd recommend the virtual platform.

For now, I rate this solution seven out of 10. I'm sure it will improve.

Find out what your peers are saying about SonicWall, Barracuda Networks, Cisco and others in Email Security. Updated: November 2021.
554,676 professionals have used our research since 2012.
YH
Founder at Oman Shipping Company
Good filtering for common threats, but we would like more intelligent spam filtering and sandboxing

• "The most valuable features are the anti-spam, anti-phishing, anti-virus, and anti-spoofing."
  • "A lot of spoofed emails are still coming to the end-user, so the configuration for this option needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for email filtering.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the anti-spam, anti-phishing, anti-virus, and anti-spoofing.

What needs improvement?

We had an issue where our logs stopped working. We contacted support and they were able to correct the problem.

We created a list of rules used to approve email, but when the list hit a certain number of rules, all of the emails stopped coming in and we had to delete some rules.

In the next release, we would like to see more intelligence in the spam filtering with an ability to examine suspicious links. We would like to see them tested using sandboxing.

We have been using SonicWall Email Security for more than five years.

We contacted technical support over the issue with the logs stopping. They did something on the backend and the logging started again.

Prior to using this solution, we relied on Microsoft Office 365 ATP, but we did not use a dedicated email security product.

What other advice do I have?

This solution has been really good for us and I recommend using it. If there is a big difference between what you are using now and this solution, then test it out. When we look for new solutions, we want to know what features are not in SonicWall. So far, we have stayed with it, but we would like to have more intelligent filtering in the future.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Other