SonicWall Netextender OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

SonicWall Netextender is the #11 ranked solution in our list of top Enterprise Infrastructure VPN tools. It is most often compared to SonicWall Mobile Connect: SonicWall Netextender vs SonicWall Mobile Connect

What is SonicWall Netextender?

-Enforce granular access policies and extend network access through native clients
-Enhance firewall encryption and security by redirecting all client traffic through VPN
-Reduce administrative overhead by simplifying remote access management

SonicWall Netextender Buyer's Guide

Download the SonicWall Netextender Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: August 2021

SonicWall Netextender Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about SonicWall Netextender pricing:
  • "Cost wise, it would be a few hundred dollars for the base appliance with the first five clients. Then from there, your cost per seat depends on how many you're getting. It's a one-time cost, and then you have a few hundred dollars a year for the maintenance contract once you get the one-time seat costs out of the way."
  • "After a certain number of users, you require extra licensing."
  • "You have to pay for its license. There are some other companies that provide a VPN client for free. When you buy NetExtender, its license is available for one, three, or five years."

KE
Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Stable, scalable, and easy to integrate with SAML

What is our primary use case?

I do a fair bit with the virtualized SSL VPN appliances to keep the VPN termination off of the firewall because it's a heavy load on the firewall. It also allows for better integration with so many customers being on the Microsoft 365 portal. We can't do SAML integration/authentication on VPN clients that are loaded on the firewalls, but we can do that when we put them on VPN-specific appliances.

• "The most valuable feature for the Netextender is the ease with which we can integrate it with SAML."
  • "Right now, you have to load each license on to an appliance. You can't pool across multiple appliances. So, you end up having to do a lot of administrative work to recover if an internet provider goes down, and you cannot leverage it as easily into a DR solution."

What other advice do I have?

Until such time as people start using web application proxies for everything, right from cloud services, SonicWall Netextender is the way to go. It will reduce your support costs and the amount of headaches, and it will allow you better integration with identity management coming from the cloud services and portals. On a scale from one to ten, I would rate this solution at nine.
Flavio Soares
Senior Systems Administrator at a manufacturing company with 51-200 employees
Easy to use, reasonably priced, stable, and the support is good

What is our primary use case?

This solution is not used internally. It is meant to be used externally because it is the VPN client. It is used for external access to the company.

• "It allows us to work remotely."

What other advice do I have?

This is what they call a Vanilla tool. It doesn't bring more or less than any other VPN client from other vendors. It doesn't bring any special features, it's a VPN client. I am not aware of Netextender being used with any other solutions. It can only be used for SonicWall Firewall. It's a stable tool that does what it is supposed to do. I would recommend this solution to others. It hasn't let me down. I would rate SonicWall Netextender a nine out of ten.
    Learn what your peers think about SonicWall Netextender. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: August 2021.
    534,226 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Darshil Sanghvi
    Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    Reseller
    Easy to configure and user friendly but needs to support the Mac OS

What is our primary use case?

The solution is used as an enterprise infrastructure VPN. We have our users connecting if they work from home, for example. We are using NetExtender for connecting our users to the office.

• "The initial setup is pretty easy."
    • "There must be a multi-factor authentication enabled or integrated by default with it in order to be integrated with NetExtender."

What other advice do I have?

We're SonicWall partners. We're likely using the latest version of the solution. I'd advise those considering the solution that, if they already have a SonicWall firewall, they can just procure the licenses and enable the work from home for their users. I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten.
    PR
    System Administrator at RBDigital
    Works without any issues and provides good control over routing

What is our primary use case?

NetExtender is for client VPN. Users can use it to connect through a VPN and remotely access the internet services.

• "NetExtender works very well. I never had an issue with it, and it has been working well for me. In terms of management, you have good control over the destination. You can use NetExtender to set the policy and the static route for a client. You can modify it based on what your client needs or can access. You have good control over routing."
    • "SonicWall can be difficult for some people, but I don't find it difficult. Some companies provide a VPN client for free, but you have to pay for NetExtender."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate SonicWall NetExtender an eight out of ten.