SonicWall NSSP OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

What is SonicWall NSSP?

The SonicWall Network Security services platform (NSsp) 12000 series takes a modern approach to threat detection and prevention by combining cloud intelligence with appliance-based protection in a scalable, high-speed platform.

SonicWall NSSP was previously known as SonicWall Network Security Services Platform.

Download the Firewalls Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

SonicWall NSSP Customers
Comlogic, Depaul, Hutt City Council
SonicWall NSSP Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about SonicWall NSSP pricing:
  • "You got to buy some VPN licenses, and there might be a $40 to $50 one-time license fee per current user. There are different layers. They have several different levels of event security software and depending on the model, it seems to come out to be $1 to $2 a day. So, if you bought a three-year license, it is going to be anywhere from $900 to $1800 depending on the bundle and model that you buy."
  • "For SonicWall NSSP high availability, active/passive, you need to buy one license, and so you get much more value for money."

SonicWall NSSP Reviews

John Holbel
President at CMIT Solutions
MSP
Good VPN functionality, very good support, easy to manage, and meets all of our needs

• "The VPN functionality is really good. Overall, the whole device is very easy to manage. The software that comes with it is also good."
  • "Its reporting functions can be improved. It has decent reporting, but you got to pay a lot more money for it. That's where it begins to fall apart. It comes with minimal zero reporting unless you buy some extra modules. With those extra modules, you can get all the data, but it takes a while to put together what you need for your customer. It is for technical people, but there is no executive summary of the reporting."

What is our primary use case?

Our clients mainly use it for their firewall protection.

What is most valuable?

The VPN functionality is really good. Overall, the whole device is very easy to manage. The software that comes with it is also good.

What needs improvement?

Its reporting functions can be improved. It has decent reporting, but you got to pay a lot more money for it. That's where it begins to fall apart. It comes with minimal zero reporting unless you buy some extra modules. With those extra modules, you can get all the data, but it takes a while to put together what you need for your customer. It is for technical people, but there is no executive summary of the reporting.

I have been using this solution for probably three years.

It has been stable. I haven't had any issues.

As compared to other vendors, it isn't better or worse. However, if you need an upgrade, it seems like you got to make a couple of jumps. Something should be in the middle so that you don't have to go to a much higher piece of hardware. If I need 50% more capacity, I almost have to buy two to three times more capacity. It seems like it has a bigger jump than other vendors, but this is just my opinion. I don't have any data to base that on.

Their technical support is very good. If I had to pick between the top three firewalls with all things being equal, I would go with SonicWall just for the support and ease of management. Cisco is very good, but SonicWall has very good support.

Its initial setup is absolutely easy. In general, SonicWall is overall very easy.

You got to buy some VPN licenses, and there might be a $40 to $50 one-time license fee per current user. There are different layers. They have several different levels of event security software and depending on the model, it seems to come out to be $1 to $2 a day. So, if you bought a three-year license, it is going to be anywhere from $900 to $1800 depending on the bundle and model that you buy.

What other advice do I have?

It is definitely a good fit for small to mid-size companies. I am always a little hesitant to say large companies because they may have a few different requirements because they're large enough. That's where you begin to differentiate between the firewalls or some of those features that are there in one but might not be there in other ones, but I would always consider it. I would even consider it for a large company, but when you compare it with Fortinet or some of the other firewalls that are geared towards big companies, you can start seeing where they might be lacking a feature or two. I am not even sure if those features are the key critical requirements, but that's where it starts to fall down.

I would rate SonicWall NSSP a nine out of ten. I am not implementing it for a large company, but it meets all of our needs very well.

ML
Interim CEO at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Is stable and scalable, and has sandbox and DPI-SSL features

• "SonicWall NSSP is stable and scalable too."
  • "The user interface, the GUI, could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for the data center to protect the server and prevent internal attacks and also external attacks, if they can pass through the first tier-one firewall.

What is most valuable?

The sandbox and the DPI-SSL are two main key features that I find valuable.

SonicWall NSSP is stable and scalable too.

You also get more value for money compared to that of other solutions.

What needs improvement?

The user interface, the GUI, could be improved.

If they decide to simplify the GUI, it would be good because there is no point in being so different from others. If you do that, you may be sacrificing the strengths of the product.

I've been using SonicWall NSSP for two or three years.

It is a stable solution.

SonicWall NSSP is sufficient and quick enough to be scalable. There are no issues with supporting the data center. So, there are no problems with scalability. We plan to increase usage as well.

Previously we used Fortinet. We switched to SonicWall NSSP because the newer prices for Fortinet were quite expensive when it came to subscriptions.

Then, when it came to HA, high availability, we would have had to pay for two licenses for Fortinet. With regard to active/passive, we would still have had to pay for two licenses.

When I deployed SonicWall NSSP high availability, active/passive, I didn't need to buy two licenses; I just needed to buy one license. So, when it comes to total cost of ownership, for me SonicWall NSSP gives much more value for money.

The initial setup is quite complex because we have to get a lot of policies.

For SonicWall NSSP high availability, active/passive, you need to buy one license, and so you get much more value for money.

What other advice do I have?

If I were to rate this solution on a scale from one to ten, I would rate it at ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about SonicWall, Cisco, WiJungle and others in Firewalls. Updated: November 2021.
554,676 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AD
Executive Vice President at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Delivers results, user-friendly, and stable

What is most valuable?

It has been delivering results efficiently. Its configurations and updates have been easy. It is also user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

No security product is foolproof against hackers, intruders, and other such things. As a security product, they have to keep pace in terms of protection from new hackers and intruders.

I have been using this solution for the last three years.

It is stable.

I have not tried scaling it.

Its initial setup is slightly complex, but it is much easier than other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. I…

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for the last three years.

It is stable.

I have not tried scaling it.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. I would advise others to look at the sizing they want and choose accordingly.

I would rate SonicWall NSSP an eight out of ten.