SonicWall SMA Overview

SonicWall SMA is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Universal Access Gateways. It is most often compared to Pulse Connect Secure: SonicWall SMA vs Pulse Connect Secure

What is SonicWall SMA?
SonicWall SMA is a unified secure access gateway that enables organizations to provide anytime, anywhere and any device access to mission critical corporate resources. SMA's granular access control policy engine, context aware device authorization, application level VPN and advanced authentication with single sign-on empowers organizations to embrace BYOD and mobility in a hybrid IT environment.

SonicWall SMA is also known as SonicWall Aventail, SonicWall SMA SSL-VPN, SonicWall Secure Mobile Access.

SonicWall SMA Buyer's Guide

Download the SonicWall SMA Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

SonicWall SMA Customers
UnitedStack, Newport City Homes, Faith Lutheran College Redlands, PRIME aerostructures GmbH, Celtic Manor Resort
SonicWall SMA Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about SonicWall SMA pricing:
  • "I don't know about the pricing of the SSL-VPN box. I know the SSL-VPN software is free. Global VPN client, by comparison, is licensed for around $150 or something like that. But the SSL-VPN software is free. It is already built-in with the box."
  • "The cost of the licensing is based on the maximum number of concurrent users, and it costs a lot to add them."
  • "This solution is priced well and we currently have the maximum number of licenses allowed."
  • "Our licenses are stackable and can be anywhere from five users to a million users."

IT Consultant at Exceed NetSec Computer Trd LLC
This is a versatile VPN that saves us from using more difficult security measures

What is our primary use case?

We are using SonicWall for two purposes. One is for clients who want the product for remote access and the other is as a security measure to protect against the recent ransomware attacks. In the latter case, we use SSL-VPN as the initial remote connection to a network and then initiate the connection into the internal network to add a layer of security. This is effective for clients who need remote access as per their requirements for direct connections or mobile users who are using SSL-VPN straightaway. Some of our clients have remote branch offices where they have only one or two users per… more »

• "It is faster than other security options when using remote connections."
  • "The product itself is very good, but Dell needs to work on product visibility in their advertising."

What other advice do I have?

We like to keep on upgrading to the latest versions because of security and performance advantages. Depending on the client, we push them to the higher versions. The higher versions are often much better and take advantage of enhanced technology. For that reason, we always try to upgrade the client so they have the best security. While we keep on updating, we do study the changes. We don't have an in-house lab but we do testing before deploying to the clients. If it is working fine, then we recommend that upgrade. But primarily, we don't force the updates onto the client because sometimes we…
MS
IT Manager at a healthcare company with 1-10 employees
A high-performance and secure solution for remote access that also facilitates technical support

What is our primary use case?

We are using different products from SonicWall, and the SSL-VPN is part of our overall solution. We change appliance models approximately every three years. We have an on-premises deployment, and these appliances are used with our data servers. There are several things that we use the VPN for including remote access, accessing data on the file server, and using on-premises applications from the outside. There are many uses for this solution.

• "This solution has many options for remote desktop and access."
  • "This is an expensive solution and I think that the price could be improved."

What other advice do I have?

I am hoping to expand our use of this solution to accommodate remote access to hospital information system applications that our doctors and nurses use. There is support for Citrix, but we do not have it so we have not tested this yet. Perhaps next year, we will try it. This is a solution that I recommend for other institutions, including other hospitals. It has good functionality and security. It is built on the Linux operating system. It contains most of the features that I need for my users. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
Learn what your peers think about SonicWall SMA. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
509,641 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Executive Director - IT at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
R&D works efficiently and comes out with updates as necessary

What is our primary use case?

Our clients are primarily cooperative banks, so they have a small bank domain. They may have branches of up to 15 to 20 small locations. They need to have multisite connectivity and we use the SonicWall VPN for that. The CBS core banking systems connect the branch office to the head office. The CBS servers are in the data center at the core bank or head office and all branches connect to the head office through VPN connectivity. This allows them access to the core banking system.

• "The management and the dashboard are the solution's most valuable features."
  • "The solution could integrate better with other platforms."

What other advice do I have?

We're official partners with SonicWall and system integrators. We're a platinum partner with Dell and silver partners with SonicWall. We're also partners with FortiGate The solution is very good. It's stable and robust. There's great support for their anti-phishing and anti-virus software. SonicWall is also working 24/7 in relation to viruses. There's a quick response and R&D works efficiently and comes out with updates as necessary. We've found SonicWall to be a great solution for current market conditions. I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.
Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Integrates well, feature rich, and reliable

What is our primary use case?

Since the pandemic began, we have started using SonicWall to allow users to work from home.

• "Secure Mobile Access (SMA) is easy to configure and the deployment is straightforward. However, this is mostly because of the AWS setup."
  • "The solution has 2FA, it will generate a token and send it to an email, but multifactor authentication is not available. I would suggest that there should be MFA integration and provided with the appliance."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is this solution is reliable, feature-rich, and reasonable-priced. If they want to have an SSL VPN solution, then SonicWall SMA is probably a good choice. It is has a two-factor authentication already in-built, and it will help you connect your mobile users without any issues. It has the capability of connecting all your devices, such as laptops, Linux systems, and MacBooks. I rate SonicWall SMA an eight out of ten.
GM
General Consul of Japan with self employed
Allows for remote access from home offices, but can't handle gigabyte speeds

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is to provide remote access from home offices. The deployment model we are using is on-premises.

• "The most valuable feature of this solution is they have IT consultants that know SonicWall."
  • "The overall menu is not very user-friendly and it could be easier."

What other advice do I have?

We do not have a relationship with SonicWall, we are customers. I would not recommend this solution without them speaking to an IT consultant. They have IT consultants, and it's recommended to use a consultant to handle it. We are currently looking at other solutions because SonicWall just cannot compare and we feel that we need to increase the speed. I would rate this solution a six out of ten.
VA
Director at vatanix
Stable with good technical support, but the management interfaces need to be consolidated

What is our primary use case?

We are a system integrator and SonicWall SMA is one of the products that we implement for our clients. They use it to protect their data.

• "I am very satisfied with the technical support."
  • "The problem is that when combined with what the client already has, there are two different logins and two different management systems, and these should be consolidated into a single interface."

What other advice do I have?

This is definitely a product that I can recommend to others. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
PN
Technical Support Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Scalable, good support, a simple interface, and the load balancing capability works well

What is our primary use case?

We are service providers and we sell and integrate solutions for clients. I am using this solution for VPN and mobile on the website.

What is most valuable?

I like the load balancing capability.  It's very fast and it has a simple interface.

What needs improvement?

The timed synchronization between the network appliance needs improvement.

I have been using SonicWall SMA for one year.

It is a very scalable product, because this product may be used by a million people. Our customers are small and large companies.

Technical support is good.

The initial setup was easy.…
Information Security Engineer at BigFish Enterprise Ltd.
Offers a fair price and has good stability and scalability

What is our primary use case?

I'm an information security engineer and we are integrators.

What needs improvement?

The user interface could be improved. I'd also like to see the solution move to the cloud.

I've been using this solution for one year.

The scalability and stability are good.

We are in Thailand and I'm very happy with the technical support.

I think they ask for a fair price.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.