SonicWall SMA OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

SonicWall SMA is #2 ranked solution in top Universal Access Gateways, #4 ranked solution in top SSL VPN tools, and #8 ranked solution in top Enterprise Infrastructure VPN tools. IT Central Station users give SonicWall SMA an average rating of 8 out of 10. SonicWall SMA is most commonly compared to Pulse Connect Secure:SonicWall SMA vs Pulse Connect Secure. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 25% of all views.
What is SonicWall SMA?
SonicWall SMA is a unified secure access gateway that enables organizations to provide anytime, anywhere and any device access to mission critical corporate resources. SMA's granular access control policy engine, context aware device authorization, application level VPN and advanced authentication with single sign-on empowers organizations to embrace BYOD and mobility in a hybrid IT environment.

SonicWall SMA is also known as SonicWall Aventail, SonicWall SMA SSL-VPN, SonicWall Secure Mobile Access.

SonicWall SMA Buyer's Guide

Download the SonicWall SMA Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

SonicWall SMA Customers
UnitedStack, Newport City Homes, Faith Lutheran College Redlands, PRIME aerostructures GmbH, Celtic Manor Resort
SonicWall SMA Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about SonicWall SMA pricing:
  • "This solution is priced well and we currently have the maximum number of licenses allowed."
  • "Our licenses are stackable and can be anywhere from five users to a million users."

SonicWall SMA Reviews

Abhay-Pirapgol
Executive Director - IT at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
R&D works efficiently and comes out with updates as necessary

• "The management and the dashboard are the solution's most valuable features."
  • "The solution could integrate better with other platforms."

What is our primary use case?

Our clients are primarily cooperative banks, so they have a small bank domain. They may have branches of up to 15 to 20 small locations. They need to have multisite connectivity and we use the SonicWall VPN for that.

The CBS core banking systems connect the branch office to the head office. The CBS servers are in the data center at the core bank or head office and all branches connect to the head office through VPN connectivity. This allows them access to the core banking system.

What is most valuable?

The management and the dashboard are the solution's most valuable features.

What needs improvement?

There are some features that are available on Palo Alto or Cisco that don't exist. There isn't a depth of information on SonicWall.

The solution could integrate better with other platforms.

The solution should include SOS (Security Operations Systems) features for detection purposes. There should also be SEIM integrated with big players like IBM, etc.

It would be great if there could be a single appliance that can take care of all the security requirements of the organization.

I don't specifically use the solution. I'm a pre-sales engineer and I offer the solution to our customers.

The solution is stable.

The solution is very scalable. They have super-massive boxes as well. It can scale up to around 2,000 users or more. The solution also offers quite large appliances if a user needs even more. The solution offers everything from small users to larger branches.

We have a mixed number of users. A few are on FortiGate and a few are on SonicWall. We also have a few on Palo Alto. About 20% of our customers use SonicWall. Our users include security admins, and IT managers among others.

We've been very satisfied with technical support. They are very supportive and their advice is very good.

The initial setup was straightforward. If the ISP is good and the broadband connections are good, and, if the static IP is available, it only takes one to two days to deploy. After that, it's ready for testing and user training. With everything considered, deployment takes about three days.

We've evaluated other solutions such as Palo Alto, FortiGate and Checkpoint. We also work with them. In terms of the pricing for the customer, SonicWall is the best.

What other advice do I have?

We're official partners with SonicWall and system integrators. We're a platinum partner with Dell and silver partners with SonicWall. We're also partners with FortiGate

The solution is very good. It's stable and robust. There's great support for their anti-phishing and anti-virus software.

SonicWall is also working 24/7 in relation to viruses. There's a quick response and R&D works efficiently and comes out with updates as necessary. We've found SonicWall to be a great solution for current market conditions.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

Darshil Sanghvi
Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Reseller
Integrates well, feature rich, and reliable

• "Secure Mobile Access (SMA) is easy to configure and the deployment is straightforward. However, this is mostly because of the AWS setup."
  • "The solution has 2FA, it will generate a token and send it to an email, but multifactor authentication is not available. I would suggest that there should be MFA integration and provided with the appliance."

What is our primary use case?

Since the pandemic began, we have started using SonicWall to allow users to work from home.

What is most valuable?

We have found the most valuable features to be:

• Secure Mobile Access (SMA) is easy to configure and the deployment is straightforward. However, this is mostly because of the AWS setup

• Easy to use

• Simple to manage

• Integrated with NSa

What needs improvement?

The solution has 2FA, it will generate a token and send it to an email, but multifactor authentication is not available. I would suggest that there should be MFA integration and provided with the appliance.

I have to manage the SMA separately, there should be centralized management and reporting features.

I have been using this solution within the last 12 months.

The solution is stable and very reliable.

Since the solution is on the cloud the scalability should not be an issue.

We have approximately 200 people using this solution in my organization. We do not have more than 180 users connected at one time.

The technical support was responsive.

The initial setup was easy.

We had a team from SonicWall help us with the implementation of the solution.

This solution is priced well and we currently have the maximum number of licenses allowed.

We did evaluate other solutions before we chose this one.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is this solution is reliable, feature-rich, and reasonable-priced. If they want to have an SSL VPN solution, then SonicWall SMA is probably a good choice. It is has a two-factor authentication already in-built, and it will help you connect your mobile users without any issues. It has the capability of connecting all your devices, such as laptops, Linux systems, and MacBooks.

I rate SonicWall SMA an eight out of ten.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Find out what your peers are saying about Cisco ASx500 vs. SonicWall SMA and other solutions. Updated: November 2021.
552,136 professionals have used our research since 2012.
VA
Director at vatanix
Stable with good technical support, but the management interfaces need to be consolidated

• "I am very satisfied with the technical support."
  • "The problem is that when combined with what the client already has, there are two different logins and two different management systems, and these should be consolidated into a single interface."

What is our primary use case?

We are a system integrator and SonicWall SMA is one of the products that we implement for our clients. They use it to protect their data.

What needs improvement?

We need to keep applying updates that are supplied from the OEM.

On the customer's side, we have a centralized system. There is software to manage their security appliance, as well as their network appliance, and they have some kind of endpoint security. The problem is that when combined with what the client already has, there are two different logins and two different management systems, and these should be consolidated into a single interface.

We have been working with SonicWall SMA for 13 years.

This is a stable product.

I am very satisfied with the technical support.

We also work with Fortinet products.

The length of time for deployment depends on the customer and their environment.

I have a team of four people who handle the implementation for our clients.

What other advice do I have?

This is definitely a product that I can recommend to others.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

PN
Technical Support Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Scalable, good support, a simple interface, and the load balancing capability works well

What is our primary use case?

We are service providers and we sell and integrate solutions for clients. I am using this solution for VPN and mobile on the website.

What is most valuable?

I like the load balancing capability.  It's very fast and it has a simple interface.

What needs improvement?

The timed synchronization between the network appliance needs improvement.

I have been using SonicWall SMA for one year.

It is a very scalable product, because this product may be used by a million people. Our customers are small and large companies.

Technical support is good.

The initial setup was easy.…

What is our primary use case?

We are service providers and we sell and integrate solutions for clients.

I am using this solution for VPN and mobile on the website.

What is most valuable?

I like the load balancing capability.

It's very fast and it has a simple interface.

What needs improvement?

The timed synchronization between the network appliance needs improvement.

I have been using SonicWall SMA for one year.

Our customers are small and large companies.

Technical support is good.

The initial setup was easy.

It takes 20 minutes to deploy.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good solution and I definitely recommend it.

I would rate SonicWall SMA a ten out of ten.

Nawapol Boonlerd
Information Security Engineer at BigFish Enterprise Ltd.
Offers a fair price and has good stability and scalability

What is our primary use case?

I'm an information security engineer and we are integrators.

What needs improvement?

The user interface could be improved. I'd also like to see the solution move to the cloud.

I've been using this solution for one year.

The scalability and stability are good.

We are in Thailand and I'm very happy with the technical support.

I think they ask for a fair price.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.

What is our primary use case?

I'm an information security engineer and we are integrators.

What needs improvement?

I've been using this solution for one year.

The scalability and stability are good.

We are in Thailand and I'm very happy with the technical support.

I think they ask for a fair price.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.