SonicWall TZ Overview

SonicWall TZ is the #11 ranked solution in our list of best firewalls. It is most often compared to Fortinet FortiGate: SonicWall TZ vs Fortinet FortiGate

What is SonicWall TZ?
The secure, sophisticated SonicWALL TZ is widely deployed at small businesses, retail, government, remote sites and branch offices. It combines high-performance intrusion prevention, malware blocking, content/URL filtering and application control.

SonicWall TZ is also known as Dell SonicWALL TZ.

SonicWall TZ Buyer's Guide

Download the SonicWall TZ Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

SonicWall TZ Customers
AeroM_xico Delta TechOps, Unimat
SonicWall TZ Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about SonicWall TZ pricing:
  • "License renewals come in around $35,000 to $45,000."
  • "The license that we purchased is good for three years."

BT
Virtual CIO/ CISO at Kyber Security
Easy to implement, fairly stable, and supports SSL-DPI

• "From a support perspective, if we're talking tech support I think Silver Partners, Gold Partners, Platinum, whatever level, should have a different number to call. End users can call tech support over at SonicWall if they've paid for support as part of their AGSS or whatever services they bought. The end-user can call, or we can call, however, I don't want to be calling the same line that an end user's calling. I don't want the same response time. I need a different level of expertise."

What other advice do I have?

We're a Silver Partner. I'm not an engineer. I was a field engineer for nine years a long, long time ago. However, I'm not typically the one that gets my fingers into stuff, and it would be my engineering and senior engineering staff that do that. That said, I can say that I don't think any of our guys have touched the virtual platform yet. We use TZ and traditional NSA tech every day. That's our bread and butter. The current version we're using right now is the 600 series, although we do still have some 350 series. 90% of what we use are Gen 6. They're either TZ 300, 400, 500, 600 or NSA…
    CTO IT Security - Connectivity at Exceed NetSec
    The product's modular nature is a huge plus, but work is needed on the ransomware application

What is our primary use case?

The primary use is for protecting the internet for client-to-search sites. We also use site-to-site VPN, and it segregates the traffic.

• "Once it's configured properly, the solution is unbreakable."
    • "They should consider working a bit more on their ransomware application."

What other advice do I have?

If the client is using SonicWall, we use SonicWall as well, for reliability. If they're using Fortinet, we try to use the same thing and try to minimize the cost, that's how we work. In terms of advice, I would say that you have to look at the entire solution. There are certain things which SonicWall cannot do. SonicWall doesn't support ADSL because of security reasons but sometimes you need it, you want a little bit, you need to have that option to be working. Unfortunately, that option is not there, but sometimes you need it. Therefore, you have to evaluate the requirement. Also, sometimes…
    Learn what your peers think about SonicWall TZ. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
    509,820 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    TD
    Owner\Operator with 1-10 employees
    Reseller
    Easy to use with a simple initial setup and very helpful technical support

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a firewall. It's pretty much for content filtering and protection between points.

• "I've found the technical support to be helpful."
    • "I would like the solution to build in more redundancy. I"

What other advice do I have?

I'm a reseller. I tend to use the latest version of the solution. I go with whatever's happening. I'll upgrade when necessary when they go end of life. Although it is my understanding that they also have a cloud option, I tend to prefer on-premises deployments. If I need something, I will call my SonicWall rep. I'd recommend new users try them. They have very good service and they're easy to use. I'd rate them ten out of ten simply for the fact that I really haven't had any issues with them at all.
    Manager, Customer Security & Guidance at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    Reseller
    Effective and affordable, simple setup and ease of management, with very good VPN integration

What is our primary use case?

We are an MSP and Sonicwall partner and have installed virtually every model, from the TZ 150 during the old days, up to the new TZ 500, TZ 600s and NSA series. I've been using SonicWall for many years and it's still a major part of our solutions for many of our customers compared the optional product lines that we sell. I previous owned an IT firm for 30 years and recently merged with a larger organization where I focus on customer security and guidance.

• "Ease of management and the VPN integration."
    • "In general, the company needs to think contingently and integrate more security options."

What other advice do I have?

It's worth looking into this solution. It's a very competitive product in terms of pricing, performance and features. It's definitely worth evaluating, especially for small to medium size businesses, branch offices and home. I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.
    PD
    Director at VULPINE SOFTWARE PVT LTD
    Reseller
    Stable with good threat prevention and an easy initial setup

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for its firewall capabilities.

• "The best thing about the product is the very good threat prevention output."
    • "The dashboard needs to be improved."

What other advice do I have?

We use this solution ourselves, however, we also deploy it for our clients. We're resellers. We're using the latest version of the solution. I don't know if I have specific advice, as each customer is different and has different needs in terms of security. It depends on their policies and how they want to implement them. There are almost endless amounts of policies that can be added to the solution. I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.
    FM
    DPO - Especialista em Proteção de Dados at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Reseller
    Good site categorization and application controls; user interface could be improved

What is our primary use case?

Our company provides consultancy services. We are resellers and integrators, and we implement this solution for our customers. I'm a systems engineer.

• "Good site categorization and application controls."
    • "User interface could be improved."

What other advice do I have?

We think SonicWall is a good product. Sometimes the technicians don't have the expertise to deploy and there can be issues with appliances that are not sized correctly and the appliances get overloaded and it slows down the network. It's not because of the solution, it's the lack of experience. I would rate this solution a six out of 10.
    JL
    General Manager at Antea Consulting
    Easy to set up, stable. and reasonably priced

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a firewall for security purposes. We use it to protect ourselves and our clients.

• "The performance has been very good. Overall, the solution is quite stable."
    • "Although the pricing is good, it could always be lower. If we get to pay less, we're happier."

What other advice do I have?

We use various versions of the solution at any given time. I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. We've been quite happy with its capabilities. I'd recommend the solution to other users and companies.
    GM
    IT Infra Head at a consumer goods company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Not scalable and doesn't have centralized management monitoring, but it is reliable and the support is good

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to secure our network environment. We have implemented it in other locations in our organization.

• "Technical support is good."
    • "We require centralized monitoring of the network features, which they have but they are not to the level that we require."

What other advice do I have?

For small organizations, its' good, and I would recommend it, but not for medium or large enterprise companies. I would rate SonicWall TZ a five out of ten.
    See 19 more SonicWall TZ Reviews
    Product Categories
    Firewalls
    Download our free SonicWall TZ Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.