SonicWall TZ Overview

SonicWall TZ is the #10 ranked solution in our list of best firewalls. It is most often compared to Fortinet FortiGate: SonicWall TZ vs Fortinet FortiGate

What is SonicWall TZ?
The secure, sophisticated SonicWALL TZ is widely deployed at small businesses, retail, government, remote sites and branch offices. It combines high-performance intrusion prevention, malware blocking, content/URL filtering and application control.

SonicWall TZ is also known as Dell SonicWALL TZ.

SonicWall TZ Buyer's Guide

Download the SonicWall TZ Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021

SonicWall TZ Customers
AeroM_xico Delta TechOps, Unimat
SonicWall TZ Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about SonicWall TZ pricing:
  • "License renewals come in around $35,000 to $45,000."
  • "The product pricing is relatively good, compared to other products, including the licenses."
  • "The pricing was a factor for us, and we felt that the price was good."

SonicWall TZ Reviews

Bob-Thomas
Virtual CIO/ CISO at Kyber Security
Jul 9, 2020
Easy to implement, fairly stable, and supports SSL-DPI

• "From a support perspective, if we're talking tech support I think Silver Partners, Gold Partners, Platinum, whatever level, should have a different number to call. End users can call tech support over at SonicWall if they've paid for support as part of their AGSS or whatever services they bought. The end-user can call, or we can call, however, I don't want to be calling the same line that an end user's calling. I don't want the same response time. I need a different level of expertise."

What other advice do I have?

We're a Silver Partner. I'm not an engineer. I was a field engineer for nine years a long, long time ago. However, I'm not typically the one that gets my fingers into stuff, and it would be my engineering and senior engineering staff that do that. That said, I can say that I don't think any of our guys have touched the virtual platform yet. We use TZ and traditional NSA tech every day. That's our bread and butter. The current version we're using right now is the 600 series, although we do still have some 350 series. 90% of what we use are Gen 6. They're either TZ 300, 400, 500, 600 or NSA…
    Rias Majeed
    CIO IT Security - Connectivity at Exceed NetSec LLC
    Jul 11, 2019
    The product's modular nature is a huge plus, but work is needed on the ransomware application

What is our primary use case?

The primary use is for protecting the internet for client-to-search sites. We also use site-to-site VPN, and it segregates the traffic.

• "Once it's configured properly, the solution is unbreakable."
    • "They should consider working a bit more on their ransomware application."

What other advice do I have?

If the client is using SonicWall, we use SonicWall as well, for reliability. If they're using Fortinet, we try to use the same thing and try to minimize the cost, that's how we work. In terms of advice, I would say that you have to look at the entire solution. There are certain things which SonicWall cannot do. SonicWall doesn't support ADSL because of security reasons but sometimes you need it, you want a little bit, you need to have that option to be working. Unfortunately, that option is not there, but sometimes you need it. Therefore, you have to evaluate the requirement. Also, sometimes…
    Learn what your peers think about SonicWall TZ. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
    464,369 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    reviewer1045617
    Owner\Operator with 1-10 employees
    Feb 7, 2021
    Easy to use with a simple initial setup and very helpful technical support

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a firewall. It's pretty much for content filtering and protection between points.

• "I've found the technical support to be helpful."
    • "I would like the solution to build in more redundancy. I"

What other advice do I have?

I'm a reseller. I tend to use the latest version of the solution. I go with whatever's happening. I'll upgrade when necessary when they go end of life. Although it is my understanding that they also have a cloud option, I tend to prefer on-premises deployments. If I need something, I will call my SonicWall rep. I'd recommend new users try them. They have very good service and they're easy to use. I'd rate them ten out of ten simply for the fact that I really haven't had any issues with them at all.
    Harry Srolovitz
    Manager, Customer Security & Guidance at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    Jul 7, 2020
    Effective and affordable, simple setup and ease of management, with very good VPN integration

What is our primary use case?

We are an MSP and Sonicwall partner and have installed virtually every model, from the TZ 150 during the old days, up to the new TZ 500, TZ 600s and NSA series. I've been using SonicWall for many years and it's still a major part of our solutions for many of our customers compared the optional product lines that we sell. I previous owned an IT firm for 30 years and recently merged with a larger organization where I focus on customer security and guidance.

• "Ease of management and the VPN integration."
    • "In general, the company needs to think contingently and integrate more security options."

What other advice do I have?

It's worth looking into this solution. It's a very competitive product in terms of pricing, performance and features. It's definitely worth evaluating, especially for small to medium size businesses, branch offices and home. I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.
    Puneet Dobhal
    Director at VULPINE SOFTWARE PVT LTD
    Jul 29, 2020
    Stable with good threat prevention and an easy initial setup

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for its firewall capabilities.

• "The best thing about the product is the very good threat prevention output."
    • "The dashboard needs to be improved."

What other advice do I have?

We use this solution ourselves, however, we also deploy it for our clients. We're resellers. We're using the latest version of the solution. I don't know if I have specific advice, as each customer is different and has different needs in terms of security. It depends on their policies and how they want to implement them. There are almost endless amounts of policies that can be added to the solution. I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.
    Vpcoffice0877
    Vice President & Chief Information Officer at a aerospace/defense firm with 10,001+ employees
    Apr 23, 2019
    A lapse in technical support has me looking for a new solution

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this product is for remote access to smart-building solutions that we implement.

• "I have found this solution to be easier to use when compared to other products, such as those offered by Cisco."
    • "The lack of support is having me look into other solutions to replace SonicWALL."

What other advice do I have?

Currently, SonicWall is our primary solution. To me, it can no longer be the primary because if I need support then I may not get it. With other products, it is quite simple. For any new projects that I'll be working on, I will not be using SonicWall. This is simply a business decision that is based on my experience. I am responsible for the design, implementation, maintenance, and moving forward with the customer. If I am not happy then I cannot implement the solution because it will not help me in the future. To be honest, when it comes to integration I would rate this product a nine out of…
    John Sturman
    Technologist at Digifabshop (Hudson, NY)
    Apr 23, 2019
    Algorithm detects and deals with any kind of malware that comes into our network

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is to protect our network.

• "I have found the stability of this product to be excellent."
    • "An additional feature that I would like to see is reporting that includes metrics to give me more information about the number of viruses that it has actually detected and interrupted."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others who are implementing this solution is to take advantage of their technical support. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
    reviewer1316163
    DPO - Especialista em Proteção de Dados at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Jan 12, 2021
    Good site categorization and application controls; user interface could be improved

What is our primary use case?

Our company provides consultancy services. We are resellers and integrators, and we implement this solution for our customers. I'm a systems engineer.

• "Good site categorization and application controls."
    • "User interface could be improved."

What other advice do I have?

We think SonicWall is a good product. Sometimes the technicians don't have the expertise to deploy and there can be issues with appliances that are not sized correctly and the appliances get overloaded and it slows down the network. It's not because of the solution, it's the lack of experience. I would rate this solution a six out of 10.
    See 13 more SonicWall TZ Reviews
    Product Categories
    Firewalls
    Download our free SonicWall TZ Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.