FM
DPO - Especialista em Proteção de Dados at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Good site categorization and application controls; user interface could be improved

• "Good site categorization and application controls."
  • "User interface could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

Our company provides consultancy services. We are resellers and integrators, and we implement this solution for our customers. I'm a systems engineer.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution is important for the main security program of our client companies.

What is most valuable?

I like the site categorization and application controls, and I also like the anti-spam feature.

What needs improvement?

The user interface could be improved. Another issue is that part of the company strategy is that once the license expires, the company blocks features and things slow down. It would be nice if they would provide a free version for small companies. Most companies here in Brazil either don't have the money or their culture is cost-oriented so they don't make large investments in security. They prefer products which are less expensive such as open, source-based firewalls. Having access to a free version would mean that we could create an awareness within the company about the importance of these solutions. Because of the dollar rate, the product is quite expensive for us, whereas in the States it's affordable to spend a few thousand dollars on a solution.

I've been using this product for six years.

The solution is not very scalable. We often have to change the appliances. That's the downside on these kinds of projects because it then requires the company to make an additional purchase. Our clients usually have up to 400 users each.

We don't like the technical support much. There is a long wait time to get a response.

We also use Fortinet for our clients and we prefer that solution. Fortinet has a better user interface that's easier to use with no hardware charges. It's a more expensive solution but you get what you pay for. The graphical user interface is not so easy with SonicWall. Sophos also has a better user interface.

The initial setup is complex and takes a few hours. It really requires specialized technicians. If the user interface was easier it would be a little less complex to deploy. It means they need to contact companies like ours, but maybe they need to improve their in-house support.

What other advice do I have?

We think SonicWall is a good product. Sometimes the technicians don't have the expertise to deploy and there can be issues with appliances that are not sized correctly and the appliances get overloaded and it slows down the network. It's not because of the solution, it's the lack of experience.

I would rate this solution a six out of 10.

JL
General Manager at Antea Consulting
Easy to set up, stable. and reasonably priced

• "The performance has been very good. Overall, the solution is quite stable."
  • "Although the pricing is good, it could always be lower. If we get to pay less, we're happier."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a firewall for security purposes. We use it to protect ourselves and our clients.

What is most valuable?

The solution, as a firewall is very useful for any company trying to protect their premise through the internet.

The price of the solution is very reasonable.

The performance has been very good. Overall, the solution is quite stable.

We have found the solution to be scalable.

In general, it's quite a solid product.

The initial setup is quite simple.

What needs improvement?

It's worked well for us over the years. We don't have any special demands in terms of new features. It has everything we need.

We've been working with the solution for about 22 years. It's been over two decades. We've used it for a long time.

The stability of the solution is good. The performance is pretty good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's been very good over the years.

The scalability of the product is quite good. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so easily.

We have about 200 customers using this solution right now.

We do have plans to increase usage. We're moving more and more towards managing it.

For the SMV market, it's very nice support. We have no complaints. We're happy with the service they provide, especially at the price they offer.

The initial setup is very straightforward. It's not overly complicated or difficult. A company shouldn't have any problems installing it.

To do an installation might take 15 minutes, then for adding any kind of complexity into the setup, there could be an added four hours or so. It depends on your setup requirements and the environment.

We have two people that handle the maintenance, and we also have one consultant.

We handled it ourselves. We're integrators ourselves. It's very easy to do.

The product offers very competitive pricing, It's quite good. We find it very reasonable.

Users need to pay a licensing fee on a monthly basis.

What other advice do I have?

We use various versions of the solution at any given time.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. We've been quite happy with its capabilities.

I'd recommend the solution to other users and companies.

Learn what your peers think about SonicWall TZ. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
552,027 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Tharuka Fernando
Information Technology Executive at Pelemix Lanka
Stable, user-friendly, and helpful for seeing the bandwidth usage

• "It is very user-friendly, and there is no problem in using its interface."
  • "Its reporting can be improved. Currently, we cannot directly get the user names. It only shows the IP, which makes it a bit confusing because we need to use the IP to find the user. If we could directly get the name of the user, it would be better."

What is our primary use case?

We are using a server for all our details, and we are accessing data from multiple countries. So, we needed a firewall.

We are using the SonicWall TZ400 model.

How has it helped my organization?

It has been helpful in many ways. We can see the bandwidth usage for users and how they have used it. From time to time, we get complaints that the server is a bit slow, and we then go to the reporting part to check the bandwidth usage for each user. It has also blocked a couple of viruses.

What is most valuable?

It is very user-friendly, and there is no problem in using its interface.

What needs improvement?

Its reporting can be improved. Currently, we cannot directly get the user names. It only shows the IP, which makes it a bit confusing because we need to use the IP to find the user. If we could directly get the name of the user, it would be better.

Its licensing should be improved. We would like to get the reporting part along with the license, without having to purchase it separately. It would be good if they combine both of these.

Its scalability can also be improved.

We have been using this solution for about two years.

It is a stable solution. There is no doubt about it.

Currently, we have 17 users in our country with access to the firewall. We have given them a VPN connection to the firewall to access some of their data.

It is more suitable for small businesses. It would be useful if they can improve its scalability so that even big companies can use it.

Whenever I needed any kind of support, the local partner gave me the best possible support. Their support was extremely good.

It is a bit expensive. We have to purchase the license and the reporting part separately, which makes it a bit pricey. This is the main reason why we have thought of moving to another firewall. It would be good if they combine both of these.

What other advice do I have?

We were a small business at the beginning, and we did not think of allowing all of our countries to access the server, but now, we need to give everyone access to the server. We are thinking of moving to a firewall that would be better than this.

I would rate SonicWall TZ a 10 out of 10. It is a good product.

GM
IT Infra Head at a consumer goods company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Not scalable and doesn't have centralized management monitoring, but it is reliable and the support is good

• "Technical support is good."
  • "We require centralized monitoring of the network features, which they have but they are not to the level that we require."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to secure our network environment. We have implemented it in other locations in our organization.

What is most valuable?

It's a good solution with good features.

What needs improvement?

It's a good product, but it's not a next-generation firewall. We are looking for a next-generation firewall and considering Cisco.

The reporting is not good. Also, the historical configuration of the data or backup is not available.

To compete in the market, there have to be a lot of improvements.

We do not plan to continue using SonicWall TZ. We are looking for a replacement because we need centralized monitoring across the organization. It has been very difficult for us to manage the firewall as it is not managed centrally. This is the main drawback in our current scenario.

In the next release, I would like to see better scalability, easier installation, improved reporting, storage configuration, backup, and centralized management with reporting.

I have been using this solution for four years.

We are using the latest version.

It's a stable product.

It is not very scalable, which is something that could be better.

We have multiple locations and have implemented it in several.

At this time, we have 1,000 users on the firewall.

Technical support is good. There is no need for improvement.

We did not use another firewall previously.

The installation is not straightforward. But, through the GUI, there are features that you can enable to configure.

Forcepoint and Cisco are straightforward but there are many things to do with SonicWall.

For a first-time installation, it can take half a day to deploy.

We completed the implementation ourselves.

The license that we purchased is good for three years.

We have evaluated ForcePoint but we haven't used it.

We will be testing Cisco and Barracuda in our environment.

What other advice do I have?

For small organizations, its' good, and I would recommend it, but not for medium or large enterprise companies.

I would rate SonicWall TZ a five out of ten.

SandeepKumar13
IT Manager at a legal firm with 11-50 employees
Stable with good pricing and helpful technical support

• "It's been very easy to implement and deploy."
  • "The technology in this particular version is very old."

What is most valuable?

The web security and IPsec VPN are both valuable aspects of the solution.

The NAT policies and port forwarding are great.

We were initially actually using very basic features for my organization's requirements. It is a very simple model. There isn't much complexity to it.

It's been very easy to implement and deploy.

The solution is stable.

Technical support is perfect.

We've found the pricing to be pretty good overall.

What needs improvement?

It would be nice if it was more user-friendly. The user interface is a bit difficult to navigate.

The technology in this particular version is very old.

They have to improve their assistant client application.

In this particular SonicWall has a challenge with the SSL client. It provided NetExtender, a client application that is very challenging and is difficult to manage.

I've been working with the solution for about six years or so.

I would say that it is 100% stable. Sometimes there's an issue, and we have to log a ticket, however, they will have it resolved. Rarely are there bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

Sometimes support is delayed, and sometimes we get items resolved within hours. Overall, it is okay. Overall it is okay. They are very helpful and responsive most of the time and we are quite satisfied with their level of attention.

We previously used a solution called AnexGATE. However, we had issues with port following and needed to switch.

The initial setup is very straightforward. It's not overly complex. A company shouldn't have too much trouble implementing it. This is especially true if you have a bit of a technical person implementing it.

For the most part, the solution is very economical.

Although we have been using it for the last six or seven years, it is now expired and we want to upgrade it with either Fortinet or Sophos, and so, we are looking into those.

What other advice do I have?

We are a customer and an end-user.

We are using the TZ300 model at this time. We haven't used the latest version of the solution just yet.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

Darshil Sanghvi
Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Reseller
Easy to set up with good pricing and a variety of security features

• "It's a very cost-effective solution."
  • "The stability could be a lot better."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use TZ300 for our branch offices.

What is most valuable?

The price of the solution is great. It's a very cost-effective solution.

There are a lot of security features - including Capture Client, URL filtering, content filtering, application filtering, et cetera, and they are all very useful in terms of protecting our company.

The initial setup is easy.

What needs improvement?

The stability could be a lot better. The SonicOS, which we were using, was not that stable. Sometimes it is not performing as expected as per the policies we have set.

The log, the logging capabilities, are not so good. For example, the logging for traffic logs was not being stored properly. The logging must support some storage space. If there is a storage device or storage mechanism within it we would be able to get the log easier.

We've been using the solution over the last 12 months or so. It's been a while.

We haven't found the solution to be very stable. t doesn't operate as we expect it to sometimes. We'd like it to be better, performance-wise.

We currently have 20-25 users in our branch offices. We started with 15 users and therefore we scaled up a bit, however, not in a massive sense. At this point, we likely won't scale anymore.

We have been in touch with technical support and I would say that they are responding fine. We are happy so far with their attention. Occasionally we deal with stability issues and we find that they respond quickly.

The initial setup was not overly complex or difficult. It's very straightforward. The whole setup is pretty plug-and-play.

The pricing is very reasonable. It's quite cost-effective. We purchase a license that renews yearly.

We did previously also look at Sophos.

What other advice do I have?

We are partners and resellers. I'm a consultant.

I'd advise new users that if they are planning to deploy it for their SMB or have up to 100 users, then they should go with the SonicWall firewall.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten overall.

AK
IT Administrator at a healthcare company with 51-200 employees
Good support, very stable, easy to use, and useful for viewing network utilization

• "Most of the features are useful. It is easy to configure and easy to troubleshoot. I can see the utilization of different networks, and there are also App control features."
  • "FortiGate has a client DNS in the firewall, but SonicWall doesn't have that. To create or configure a site-to-site VPN tunnel, we have to give a DNS name. Currently, we have to get the DNS name from a third party and then include it in SonicWall, whereas FortiGate has its own client DNS, so it provides a DNS name, and it does not require a third party. There should be a graphical option to view the network utilization and bandwidth usage."

What is our primary use case?

We have multiple branches, and we have configured SonicWall VPNs for branch-to-branch connectivity through IPSec. I am also restricting websites to protect us from hackers, torrents, games, and other such things. I am using SonicWall TZ 400 series.

What is most valuable?

Most of the features are useful. It is easy to configure and easy to troubleshoot.

I can see the utilization of different networks, and there are also App control features.

What needs improvement?

FortiGate has a client DNS in the firewall, but SonicWall doesn't have that. To create or configure a site-to-site VPN tunnel, we have to give a DNS name. Currently, we have to get the DNS name from a third party and then include it in SonicWall, whereas FortiGate has its own client DNS, so it provides a DNS name, and it does not require a third party.

There should be a graphical option to view the network utilization and bandwidth usage.

I have been using this solution for two years.

It is very stable.

It is scalable. We have 100 users of this solution. We might increase its usage in the future in about eight months.

Their technical support is good. They are very helpful. I would rate them an eight out of ten.

We were using ESET Antivirus for endpoint security. For firewalls, we were using FortiGate and MikroTik firewalls. FortiGate is fine, and it is helpful and easy, but MikroTik is not. It can't stop attacks from hackers.

In addition to SonicWall TZ, we are now using Cloud App Security from SonicWall for endpoint security, and we have Email Security from SonicWall for emails. In addition, we are using Capture Client from SonicWall for endpoint protection. All these solutions are very helpful, easy to configure, and easy to troubleshoot.

It was straightforward. It took five to ten minutes.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. We plan to keep using this solution. We have recently renewed our license, and we don't have any plans to use any other solution.

I would rate SonicWall TZ an eight out of ten.

Balaji Desai
Head Information Technology at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
User-friendly, reasonably priced, and good threat prevention, but the technical support needs improvement

• "The most valuable feature is the user-friendly navigation."
  • "The VPN that is available in the new version is a bit bulky and slower in speed."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is to protect all of the internal users from cyber attacks.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the user-friendly navigation.

What needs improvement?

As compared to other firewalls, they should provide an unlimited number of users for the SSL VPN.

The VPN that is available in the new version is a bit bulky and slower in speed. It should also be easier to use.

The SD-WAN feature should be enhanced, similar to Fortinet FortiGate.

I have been working with this solution for six months.

We have just upgraded TZ to 350.

We are not able to use the VPN. It has limitations. It comes with a certain number of users and we have to spend a lot for VPN accessibility.

The technical support is not very good. There is a facility called Geofencing where you can block IP addresses or certain countries.

When contacting their technical support, the technical support said that such a facility is not available in this firewall.

Another issue we had with technical support was when we wanted all of our VPN users to be migrated from our old firewall to this firewall, but somehow, technically they failed to do it. We had to configure it manually.

The technical competency of technical support is a bit on the lower side.

The initial setup was straightforward.

We have two engineers to maintain and deploy this solution.

The price is fair.

What other advice do I have?

If it is used for internal users, it is very good as a firewall. But if it has to be used for VPN, it will be a bit costly and the VPN may be bulky.

Using the VPN is not recommended, but as a firewall for blocking threats, it's good.

I would rate SonicWall TZ a seven out of ten.

Product Categories
Firewalls
Download our free SonicWall TZ Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.