Balaji Desai
Head Information Technology at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
User-friendly, reasonably priced, and good threat prevention, but the technical support needs improvement

• "The most valuable feature is the user-friendly navigation."
  • "The VPN that is available in the new version is a bit bulky and slower in speed."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is to protect all of the internal users from cyber attacks.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the user-friendly navigation.

What needs improvement?

As compared to other firewalls, they should provide an unlimited number of users for the SSL VPN.

The VPN that is available in the new version is a bit bulky and slower in speed. It should also be easier to use.

The SD-WAN feature should be enhanced, similar to Fortinet FortiGate.

I have been working with this solution for six months.

We have just upgraded TZ to 350.

We are not able to use the VPN. It has limitations. It comes with a certain number of users and we have to spend a lot for VPN accessibility.

The technical support is not very good. There is a facility called Geofencing where you can block IP addresses or certain countries.

When contacting their technical support, the technical support said that such a facility is not available in this firewall.

Another issue we had with technical support was when we wanted all of our VPN users to be migrated from our old firewall to this firewall, but somehow, technically they failed to do it. We had to configure it manually.

The technical competency of technical support is a bit on the lower side.

The initial setup was straightforward.

We have two engineers to maintain and deploy this solution.

The price is fair.

What other advice do I have?

If it is used for internal users, it is very good as a firewall. But if it has to be used for VPN, it will be a bit costly and the VPN may be bulky.

Using the VPN is not recommended, but as a firewall for blocking threats, it's good.

I would rate SonicWall TZ a seven out of ten.

Rajendra Burla
Manager IT/ System Administrator/ Network Administrator at Indsec
Provides all required security features and the ability to block anything we want to block

• "We are able to block whatever we want to block by using this product. It provides all required security features, such as content filtering, VPN, in one box. Before switching to SonicWall, we had specified all required features."
  • "It could be made more user friendly."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this firewall with content filtering and other features.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

It could be made more user friendly.

We have been using SonicWall products for around ten years. Specifically, we have been using SonicWall TZ for the last five years.

It is a stable solution.

It is fine in terms of scalability.

Their technical support is good. For technical support, sometimes we write directly to SonicWall, and they provide the solution. We sometimes also contact our vendor for support.

We used GajShield previously. The product went down once, and the GajShield team was unable to provide the support. That's why we replaced the product.

Its installation is very easy. It took around four hours to install it.

Implementation was done by me with some help from the vendor. I also manage this solution and use it on daily basis. We have an AMC contract with SonicWall, and we renew it directly with them.

Its pricing is okay as compared to other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

We have been using this product for around ten years, and we are very comfortable with this product. I would recommend this product based on your requirements.

I would rate SonicWall TZ a nine out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about SonicWall TZ. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,407 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Roy Haddad
Director at FOXMINDS Solutions LLC
Effective content filtering, interface easy to navigate, and excellent customer support

• "The most valuable features have been content filtering, and the interface is easy to navigate and to use."
  • "The log sections could be done more clearly."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for internet access, content filtering, point-to-point tunnels, and bandwidth management.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The log sections could be done more clearly.

I would like there to be the ability to manage content filtering on a per-user basis or by using the application as we normally would for all users. Currently, it is applied to a group of users and I do not think it is reliable or performing as good as it should.

I have been using this solution for approximately 12 years.

I have found this solution reliable and stable.

The solution is scalable. Our client's user usage sizes vary. We have clients with five to 200 users using the solution. The number of connections is not limited and there is always room for expansion.

The technical support is excellent.

We previously used Microsoft before SonicWall. We switched because this solution has more features, such as embedded content filtering.

The initial setup is easy.

If you are not using a vendor or implementation team it can take a maximum of three hours for a medium-size company of 50 users.

The price is fair for the solution for the quality you receive.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution because it is easy to use and the configuration is simple.

I rate SonicWall TZ an eight out of ten.

VB
Senior Network Engineer at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
Great throughput, no packet loss, but has feature limitations

• "The site-to-site VPN connections, content filtering, and in our current remote working situation, SSL VPN remote desktop connectivity are the most valuable features."
  • "The areas we would like to see improvement include more features available similar to the equivalent FortiGate appliance, e.g. SSL encryption and inspection. Two-factor authentication capability would be another additional feature that could be included in the next release."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use cases are a site-to-site VPN connection, content filtering and in addition SSL VPN connectivity for remote desktops.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides our organization with very low throughput.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The areas we would like to see improvement include more features available similar to the equivalent FortiGate appliance, e.g. SSL encryption and inspection. Two-factor authentication capability would be another additional feature that could be included in the next release.

I have been using SonicWall for 2 years. We have utilized SonicWall appliances for the last 7 years.

The overall stability has been good, there were no issues or concerns from the viewpoint.

We size our appliance based on the number of users, in this solution the TZ appliance was suitable for 30-40 users.

We experienced a very good level of support from the vendor and they have assisted us in real time via remote session when needed.

The initial setup is very straightforward. It took approximately 3-4 hours.

In comparison to competitors the license price is higher and as a suggestion, for 10-15 users potentially provide a free basic license.

We did evaluate the Fortinet FortiGate equivalent option.

ON
Diretor Comercial at a retailer with 1-10 employees
Very stable, good support, easy to configure, and useful for content filtering and defining application rules

• "Content filtering and application rules are the most valuable features. It is also easy to configure."
  • "Its pricing can be better. It is very expensive."

What is our primary use case?

Our clients use it for VPN, firewall, antivirus, and content filtering purposes. We have its latest version.

What is most valuable?

Content filtering and application rules are the most valuable features. It is also easy to configure.

What needs improvement?

Its pricing can be better. It is very expensive.

I have been using this solution for around ten years.

It is very stable.

It is scalable. I didn't have any issues with scalability. Our clients are small organizations with 20 to 40 users.

Their technical support is very good. I also like its documentation, which is easy to access.

Our clients have been using different solutions, such as pfSense, and they migrate to SonicWall TZ because it has more security.

Its initial setup is simple. The duration depends on the number of users and configuration, but it usually takes around 12 hours. We have three or four people for its deployment.

Its price is very high, which makes it difficult to convince the clients to buy this solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution for implementing security. I am satisfied with this solution. It meets our expectations.

I would rate SonicWall TZ a nine out of ten.

MB
Owner at IT CARE
Good management console and we are happy with the throughput

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and the SonicWall TZ firewall is one of the products that we implement for our clients. We also use it for our company.

What is most valuable?

We are familiar with the console and it is good to work with. We are very happy with the throughput.

What needs improvement?

We have been facing issues with reporting. We use to have a free tool for reporting, but now there is a licensing fee.

I have been using SonicWall TZ for the past eight years.

I would say that SonicWall TZ is stable, as we have not had many issues with it.

We have not needed to scale.  We regularly…

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

We are familiar with the console and it is good to work with.

We are very happy with the throughput.

What needs improvement?

I have been using SonicWall TZ for the past eight years.

We have not needed to scale.

We regularly have between 60 and 70 users in our company. Our customers for this product are small and medium-sized businesses.

We are very much happy with the support.

We do not often need technical support, but it is available from the local distributor or through the SonicWall portal.

In the future, we will be looking for a cloud-based replacement for this device.

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that we recommend, and also suggest that people upgrade their old devices to this model.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

JP
Engineer at a pharma/biotech company with 501-1,000 employees
A scalable product that is designed well, easy to set up, and has good technical support

• "The most valuable features are security and technical support."
  • "The monitoring is a little bit confusing."

What is our primary use case?

This firewall makes up part of our security solution.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are security and technical support.

What needs improvement?

The pricing is of this solution is high and could be reduced to make it more competitive.

The monitoring is a little bit confusing.

I have been using SonicWall TZ for three years.

We have had no problems with stability.

This is a nice product in terms of scalability.

The technical support is good. If I call on the helpline then a technical person will assist us.

The initial setup is very easy. If a person knows some networking and about access levels then they will be able to configure it.

The price is high compared to some other solutions.

My license is about to expire and I am currently searching for a new solution. As we expand and open new offices, I am looking to change the whole setup.

What other advice do I have?

In summary, this is a very good product and I recommend it.

PB
WCOIL/IT Department at Lima Central Catholic
Real-time bandwidth monitoring, website blacklisting, and IE Intrusion prevention

• "It lets me monitor in live time if someone is 'hogging' bandwidth."
  • "I would like to see lower antivirus pricing."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for this solution is as a Network Firewall.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution protects the network. It lets me monitor in live time if someone is 'hogging' bandwidth. It lets me block websites, and the list goes on.

It is a very nice tool to have on the school network.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are for the protection of data, and IE Intrusion on the network.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see lower antivirus pricing.  So far I haven't found any situation that I needed anything else added/included.

I have been using this solution for five years.

Good

Good

Always very good!

No, have always used Sonic Wall here.

Straight forward.  Had an existing Sonicwall.

In house.

Easy setup, good support, reasonable pricing.

What other advice do I have?

Very satisified.

Google
Product Categories
Firewalls
Download our free SonicWall TZ Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.