SonicWall TZ Overview

SonicWall TZ is the #10 ranked solution in our list of best firewalls. It is most often compared to Fortinet FortiGate: SonicWall TZ vs Fortinet FortiGate

What is SonicWall TZ?
The secure, sophisticated SonicWALL TZ is widely deployed at small businesses, retail, government, remote sites and branch offices. It combines high-performance intrusion prevention, malware blocking, content/URL filtering and application control.

SonicWall TZ is also known as Dell SonicWALL TZ.

SonicWall TZ Buyer's Guide

Download the SonicWall TZ Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

SonicWall TZ Customers
AeroM_xico Delta TechOps, Unimat
SonicWall TZ Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about SonicWall TZ pricing:
  • "You need to purchase multiple licenses to manage multiple devices which is cost-prohibitive for the value you would receive."
  • "It has a yearly subscription."

BT
Virtual CIO/ CISO at Kyber Security
Easy to implement, fairly stable, and supports SSL-DPI

• "From a support perspective, if we're talking tech support I think Silver Partners, Gold Partners, Platinum, whatever level, should have a different number to call. End users can call tech support over at SonicWall if they've paid for support as part of their AGSS or whatever services they bought. The end-user can call, or we can call, however, I don't want to be calling the same line that an end user's calling. I don't want the same response time. I need a different level of expertise."

What other advice do I have?

We're a Silver Partner. I'm not an engineer. I was a field engineer for nine years a long, long time ago. However, I'm not typically the one that gets my fingers into stuff, and it would be my engineering and senior engineering staff that do that. That said, I can say that I don't think any of our guys have touched the virtual platform yet. We use TZ and traditional NSA tech every day. That's our bread and butter. The current version we're using right now is the 600 series, although we do still have some 350 series. 90% of what we use are Gen 6. They're either TZ 300, 400, 500, 600 or NSA…
    TD
    Owner\Operator with 1-10 employees
    Reseller
    Easy to use with a simple initial setup and very helpful technical support

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a firewall. It's pretty much for content filtering and protection between points.

• "I've found the technical support to be helpful."
    • "I would like the solution to build in more redundancy. I"

What other advice do I have?

I'm a reseller. I tend to use the latest version of the solution. I go with whatever's happening. I'll upgrade when necessary when they go end of life. Although it is my understanding that they also have a cloud option, I tend to prefer on-premises deployments. If I need something, I will call my SonicWall rep. I'd recommend new users try them. They have very good service and they're easy to use. I'd rate them ten out of ten simply for the fact that I really haven't had any issues with them at all.
    Learn what your peers think about SonicWall TZ. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
    523,372 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Harry Srolovitz
    Manager, Customer Security & Guidance at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    Reseller
    Effective and affordable, simple setup and ease of management, with very good VPN integration

What is our primary use case?

We are an MSP and Sonicwall partner and have installed virtually every model, from the TZ 150 during the old days, up to the new TZ 500, TZ 600s and NSA series. I've been using SonicWall for many years and it's still a major part of our solutions for many of our customers compared the optional product lines that we sell. I previous owned an IT firm for 30 years and recently merged with a larger organization where I focus on customer security and guidance.

• "Ease of management and the VPN integration."
    • "In general, the company needs to think contingently and integrate more security options."

What other advice do I have?

It's worth looking into this solution. It's a very competitive product in terms of pricing, performance and features. It's definitely worth evaluating, especially for small to medium size businesses, branch offices and home. I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.
    PD
    Director at VULPINE SOFTWARE PVT LTD
    Reseller
    Stable with good threat prevention and an easy initial setup

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for its firewall capabilities.

• "The best thing about the product is the very good threat prevention output."
    • "The dashboard needs to be improved."

What other advice do I have?

We use this solution ourselves, however, we also deploy it for our clients. We're resellers. We're using the latest version of the solution. I don't know if I have specific advice, as each customer is different and has different needs in terms of security. It depends on their policies and how they want to implement them. There are almost endless amounts of policies that can be added to the solution. I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.
    RH
    President at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
    Reseller
    Effective unified threat management, stable, and intuitive setup

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use SonicWall TZ as an internet gateway for a lot of our small to medium-sized clients' sites.

• "The most valuable features are unified threat management which provides security intelligence and the VPN for both site-to-site and remote access."
    • "In an upcoming release, SonicWall could improve by adding cloud management for all devices for free or at a nominal cost. Currently, they have a cloud management platform but is not free. We have the MySonicWall portal for purchasing from them for software updates and renewals."

What other advice do I have?

I rate SonicWall TZ an eight out of ten.
    TH
    Product Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Reseller
    Simple and stable with good capability to block the threats, but needs better marketing and branding

What is our primary use case?

We work based on a client's requirements. We don't maintain any segmentation information. We sell all types of solutions from SonicWall, such as their next-generation firewall, cloud solutions, and switching and routing solutions. Deployment is based on a client's requirements. If a client gives us the requirement for the cloud, then we do the cloud deployment.

• "Its user interface and simplicity are the most favorite parts for our clients. They find it stable and easy to use. Its performance is also good."
    • "The marketing of SonicWall has to be increased. Currently, when it comes to firewalls, most people go for Cisco and Palo Alto. SonicWall should improve its marketing and branding policies to increase sales. Other than that, it is good."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. In every sector, SonicWall is doing good. Our clients do not have any complaints. They feel comfortable using it. It has all the facilities to block the threats, and it is quite good. SonicWall is able to provide a solution for the requirements of our clients. Only because of the lack of marketing and branding, SonicWall is not able to reach customer premises, and that's the reason why its sale is not much. I would rate SonicWall TZ a seven out of 10.
    FM
    DPO - Especialista em Proteção de Dados at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Reseller
    Good site categorization and application controls; user interface could be improved

What is our primary use case?

Our company provides consultancy services. We are resellers and integrators, and we implement this solution for our customers. I'm a systems engineer.

• "Good site categorization and application controls."
    • "User interface could be improved."

What other advice do I have?

We think SonicWall is a good product. Sometimes the technicians don't have the expertise to deploy and there can be issues with appliances that are not sized correctly and the appliances get overloaded and it slows down the network. It's not because of the solution, it's the lack of experience. I would rate this solution a six out of 10.
    JL
    General Manager at Antea Consulting
    Easy to set up, stable. and reasonably priced

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a firewall for security purposes. We use it to protect ourselves and our clients.

• "The performance has been very good. Overall, the solution is quite stable."
    • "Although the pricing is good, it could always be lower. If we get to pay less, we're happier."

What other advice do I have?

We use various versions of the solution at any given time. I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. We've been quite happy with its capabilities. I'd recommend the solution to other users and companies.
    See 15 more SonicWall TZ Reviews
    Product Categories
    Firewalls
    Download our free SonicWall TZ Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.