Sophos Cyberoam UTM Overview

Sophos Cyberoam UTM is the #7 ranked solution in our list of top Unified Threat Management (UTM) tools. It is most often compared to Sophos XG: Sophos Cyberoam UTM vs Sophos XG

What is Sophos Cyberoam UTM?
Cyberoam Unified Threat Management hardware appliances offer comprehensive security to organizations, ranging from large enterprises to small and branch offices. Multiple security features integrated over a single, Layer 8 Identity-based platform make security simple, yet highly effective.
Sophos Cyberoam UTM Buyer's Guide

Download the Sophos Cyberoam UTM Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2021

Sophos Cyberoam UTM Customers
Gulf Corporation for Technology, Maridive & Oil Services, Fidelity Bank, Petra University, Capital FM Kenya, Safari Park Hotel and Casino, Mayfair Casino, Pacific International Lines, Mozambique Ministry of Education, University of Namibia, Royal Hospital for Neuro-disability, University of Hawai, New Delhi Municipal Council
Sophos Cyberoam UTM Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

RO
Managing Partner at O and O
Now looking for options on replacing it and adding e-mail protection

What is our primary use case?

It is a good product, but it is being phased out and replaced with Sophos XG line. Now is the time to view other options available.
ST
IT Support Engineer at a wholesaler/distributor with 201-500 employees
Solid provider of protection services but needs improved reporting

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case of this product is as threat protection services and it works well.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has improved my organization because it provides different angles.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this product is the threat protection.

What needs improvement?

The reporting should be improved as well as the backup.

Three to five years.

The stability of the product is good.

The scalability of this product needs improvement.

I have not used tech support.

How was the initial

Learn what your peers think about Sophos Cyberoam UTM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2021.
502,275 professionals have used our research since 2012.
IT Manager at a energy/utilities company with 201-500 employees
It's a single box solution for firewall protection. But, it could use an upgrade to the basic product. It is not as scalable as other products.

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution to act as basic firewall protection.

What is most valuable?

It's a VPN, and the single box solution serves all your needs like an application firewall. In addition, you can set the proxy server.

What needs improvement?

I think that it would be helpful to have advanced application layer security. It's time for Cyberoam to upgrade themselves and add new relevant add ons to their product.

Compared to other firewalls, it is similar to the same generation of products. It isn't great yet, but it will be.

The scalability is not that great. I think that the Sophos XG product is more scalable than the Sophos Cyberoam. …
Assistant Manager IT at a insurance company with 11-50 employees
Web and content filtering, and bandwidth monitoring help keep bandwidth costs in check

What is our primary use case?

The primary use is for our firewall, for intrusion detection and prevention. Other uses include internet web filtering, application content blocking, and some VPN. We also look at bandwidth optimization. We don't want users to abuse the network.

• "Web and content filtering are valuable in preventing people from abusing the network and pushing up the bandwidth price."
  • "Cyberoam configuration is done through the browser, which is one of the places that viruses spread."
  • "Once in a while, an unwanted email will slip in. You have to set your parameters to avoid that happening, but once in a while, an email has slipped past firewall. Once you update the firmware, you notice that it doesn't happen. If an email slips in, I get a little bit worried. I do get the report, but you just don't want that situation happening in the first place."

What other advice do I have?

See what your market is offering. Here in Zambia, Cyberoam has a lot of support. Take your time and make sure that when you're making a decision, your requirements are met. Cyberoam met our requirements. I was only looking at web filtering and I got a whole lot more than that. Also, your after-sales support is crucial. Train yourself, because if you have the knowledge of a product, it's easy for you to set it up and use it to its fullest potential. I rate this solution a nine out of ten. It has met many of my requirements even without subscription, just the base model. It's easy to use, easy…
Director Of Information Technology at a hospitality company with 1,001-5,000 employees
We have never had to restart a firewall

What is our primary use case?

I use it for security, web management, content management, VPN, and site-to-site VPN. I use many features of the firewalls, like intrusion prevention system, antivirus, anti-spam, etc. I use almost every aspect of the firewalls. It has performed perfectly fine, so far.

• "We have never had to restart a firewall. The firewalls have all worked perfectly fine."
  • "I would like to see a better content management pack and also the website searching should be better."

What other advice do I have?

I am rating it a 10 out of 10 because it has never failed us. Talk to people who are actually using it. Actual experience always differs from the product advertisement. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: * Market share * Ease of use * Best practices * Comments of different users from different companies of the product. Before I purchase anything, I go onto web and do thorough research about: * What the product can offer. * What are the challenges. * What are the properties of that product that makes our IT people's lives easier. * What happens if something goes wrong. * How fast…
Sr. Network Administrator at ACMC
Enables us to filter emails and block content, including HTTPS filtering

What is our primary use case?

UTM is a full content management. Content blocking, URL blocking, etc. We also use it to manage video and streaming media for the subscriber. So it's for internet usage, basically.

• "I have problems with the email filtering. Emails pass through without any filtering affecting them. When I get back to them and tell them this is the issue, they check everything and say it is not in their database signature and they have to update it. But you know, by that time, my user has already opened it."

What other advice do I have?

For a small business, it's okay. It's easy to set up and it's also cheap. I rate it eight out of 10. I'm not giving a 10 because many times, I have problems with the email filtering. Emails pass through without any filtering affecting them. When I get back to them and tell them this is the issue, they check everything and say it is not in their database signature and they have to update it. But you know, by that time, my user has already opened it. I don't know why they are not updating. Every time, it seems they are waiting for me to inform them that this is the signature issue or this is the…
    Sr. Project Consultant (IFS-Complex MRO Process) at a aerospace/defense firm with 201-500 employees
    Facilitated bringing remote locations into one LAN, but lacks security features

What is our primary use case?

Primary use is monitoring. Having a reporting console to monitor the usage of bandwidth. That's the prime concern.

• "The best feature is the flexibility the product offers, in terms of remote access. What we had before was a decentralized mechanism in our organization, but after having this product we were able to get the remote locations into the same LAN. We were able to control the bandwidth and were able to take virtual access of those machines and give them the support, as and when required."
    • "There is a lot or room for improvement, because it is still not a fourth or fifth generation firewall. It lacks security features."

What other advice do I have?

The first drawback is that Sophos has acquired Cyberoam. So, if I was a new customer who wanted to choose between Cyberoam and Sophos, I would definitely go for Cyberoam because it has additional features in it. I don't understand the strategy behind it, because the same owner has two different products under one umbrella. It's a bit confusing. Six out of ten is the best I can rate Cyberoam at this moment. To get it to a 10, it's up to the manufacturer. They need to really upgrade their firmware to match up with the fourth or fifth generation firewalls that other vendors have to offer. My…
    Head of IT Services at a security firm with 10,001+ employees
    Helps us to aggregate/manage bandwidth from two ISPs, as a fail-safe

• "Bandwidth Management and aggregation. It is valuable for combining two ISPs. Switching to a secondary/redundant ISP is thus seamless, in the event that the primary ISP goes down. The Bandwidth Management is also valuable for limiting heavy downloaders that may impact negatively on the experience of other users."
    • "Needs a mail alert/notification when the device loses any of its connections, during ISP redundancy implementation."

What other advice do I have?

I give it an eight out of 10. It’s functionally competitive with higher priced alternative brands.
    Senior Network and Security Engineer
    Helps control bandwidth use and enhances connectivity and security to remote locations

• "The product has helped control bandwidth utilization, as well as enhanced connectivity and security to remote locations."
    • "The following could be improved: Web Filtering using wildcards; clarity regarding the firewall rules; granular reporting features."

What other advice do I have?

The product is stable, and after migrating to the SFOS it is much better.
    Pre Sales Engineer at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
    The price is very competitive and the licensing is easy

• "User and network policies to be managed on a single screen with powerful filtering and search options."
    • "On-box sandstorm should be available. As of now, it is from their cloud."

What other advice do I have?

* Value for money * Easy deployment * Sophos has a great vision, works on information security, products are available like endpoint, mobile mgmt., encryption, WiFi, server protection, email gateway, web gateway, and many more. * Sophos Cloud is great.
    Owner with 11-50 employees
    ​Reliable, good user interface, versatile, and offers a lot of functionality compared to plain routers

• "Good user interface."
    • "We use different workarounds and find different solutions for it, depending on the client's needs. We shouldn't have to, we should just be able to use the product as it comes with Cyberoam, rather than having to revert to other products."

What other advice do I have?

I would warmly recommend it. However, the reason I don't give it a 10 out of 10 is because we sometimes find the customer service or the support lacking.
    Team Lead.Tech.Support (Network & Security) at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
    Web Filtering and Application Filtering saves a lot of my bandwidth.

• "Web Filtering and Application Filtering saves a lot of my bandwidth and improves the user's productivity."

What other advice do I have?

Close your eyes and just go for it.
      Technology Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
      ​It has made internet usage more productive for internal users

How has it helped my organization?

It has made internet usage more productive for internal users.

What is most valuable?

Web application filtering eases internet access control.

What needs improvement?

The Traffic Discovery feature should allow administrators to disconnect unnecessary live connections.

Great.

Straightforward.

Licensing is a bit costly, mostly for features requiring subscription.

Business Development Executive at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
      ​It was straightforward and much simpler to set up than expected.​

• "Content filtering, as this enables me to control that which employees can view at different time quotas."
      • "VPN configuration is not very swift."

What other advice do I have?

It is certainly worth a try as it does the job well.
      Security and Infrastructure Analyst at a tech company with 51-200 employees
      For a small-medium enterprise this solution is easy to manage and operate.

What is most valuable?

Firewall, Web Filter, Application Filter, VPN SSL, VPN Ipsec. in one applicance. For a small-medium enterprise this solution is easy to manage and operate. All features are ways to control the security of you network.

What needs improvement?

Maybe network traffic analysis for malware and malicious behavior.

Yes, the older solution was very limited.

None that I remember.

None.

JM
      Senior Support Analyst at a non-tech company with 201-500 employees
      the admin interface is great and easy to use

What other advice do I have?

Go for-it! If you don't have solid knowledge of firewalls, hire someone who does.
      IT Consultant & Network Engineer at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
      ​All in one UTM appliance.

How has it helped my organization?

Secure SSL VPN out of the box appliance. It just works; good web and spam filtering.

What is most valuable?

All in one UTM appliance.

What needs improvement?

Smaller CR15 units don’t have a hard disc or built in IView software. These units could do with that feature.

Very early CR15 unit prone to freeze.

No, as long as you specify the user capacity you should be OK.

When Cyberoam owned the product it was excellent. Now Sophos owns it and it's not as good.

We used to use Fortinet UTM, but Cyberoam is much better in…
      Network Administrator at a non-profit with 501-1,000 employees
      I like the remote VOIP routing through the VPN.

What other advice do I have?

I liked the product so much I purchased one for my home as well. Prior to Sophos taking over I had a great sales support staff and technical staff. Since that has lagged a bit. I'm hoping that with my upgrade to the Sophos OS that will change, if I stay with their product.
      System Administrator at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
      We do not have misuse of bandwidth and the firewall and anti-spam filter work great for me.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend for others to go and view the demo. Make sure this device will suit you needs especially in terms of expansion. Also look into support as not many times support is available. It is a simple to understand product but does require some skill to manage and maintain the device for optimal usage.
      Executive at a mining and metals company with 10,001+ employees
      It's easy to manage and handle. BW management and BW quota with limitation policy is easily deployed. The dashboard could be improved.

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

Flat network was there and internet surfing was high. To minimise the risk and BW allocation, Cyberoam is used and it is very productive.

What needs improvement?

The dashboard could be improved.

Since 2013

We've had no issues with deployment.

We've had no issues with stability.

We've had no issues with scalability.

Customer Service: 8 out of 10 Technical…
      Security and Infrastructure Analyst at a tech company with 51-200 employees
      We can block malicious and unproductive application and sites to improve productivity.

What other advice do I have?

You should hire a Cyberoam specialist to manage it.
      Director / CTO at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
      Virtual Cyberoam allows the customer granular controls at their level and then allows us overriding controls at a parental level.

What other advice do I have?

Cyberoam was bought by Sophos and the new Sophos firewalls take the next step adding more functionality and capability in the box. Cyberoam was bought by Sophos and the new Sophos firewalls take the next step adding more functionality and capability in the box.
      Sr. System Administrator at a engineering company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      It has good bandwidth management, although licensing costs are high.

Valuable Features

Management Console Security Bandwidth management

Use of Solution

I've used it for six years.

Yes once when we updated a new firmware, then we again rolled back to previous one.

Customer Service: Customer service is very poor. Technical Support: They have good technical support.

When we purchased it, it was complex, but now it’s straightforward. The SSO is introduced in our premise only. At that time we only had the requirement of SSO.

Implementation Team

The first time through the vendor, and the second time our own in house team did it.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Pricing and licensing is high.
      Presales Engineer at a tech company with 201-500 employees
      It has good performance but their quality control needs to be improved.

What other advice do I have?

Since the features on the model are the same, and it is just the hardware that gets improved for higher models, I usually advise a model one and a half times bigger than the number of the network users. For instance a 1000 user network can be easily served by a 1500NG. However based on my experience, since not all the users are active simultaneously, even 1 to 1 is sufficient. Considering the capability of HA, expansion is simple if needed.
      Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
      ​The initial setup is straightforward and simple, but it needs better support for multiple ISP segregation.

What is most valuable?

There are many features that are valuable, but the Bandwidth Management and Web/Application Filter policies are the most valuable.

How has it helped my organization?

It has minimized the bandwidth consumption as a result of which many other applications run smoothly.

What needs improvement?

The most important improvement Cyberoam needs is the multiple ISP segregation.

I used this solution from 2012 through 2014.

Sometimes the proxy server turns idle, then we need to restart the service.

Customer Service: It's one of the best. Technical Support: It's one of the best.

Which solution did I use previously

System Engineer L-2 at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      It's good, yet it needs a few improvements.

What is most valuable?

Firewall rules Full control on access management It's simple

What needs improvement?

The scalability needs work.

I've used it for four years.

No issues encountered.

No issues encountered.

It needs improvement.

Customer Service: 8/10. Technical Support: 8/10.

We used Cisco, but it was complicated and expensive so we switched.

We used a vendor to do the implementation, and they were 8/10. …
      Network Security Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
      It is very good and very near perfect.

Valuable Features

The UTM features. It’s a one stop IT security solution managed from the Cyberoam Central Console (CCC).

Improvements to My Organization

Dealing with security threats is a lot easier as it’s less of a CLI interface, and more of a GUI.

Use of Solution

I’ve used it for 12 months.

I met the whole system working when I resumed duty as a Network Security Support Engineer 12 months ago.

Since I resumed my post, the entire Cyberoam system has been stable.

Since I resumed my post, the entire Cyberoam system has been stable.

Customer Service: 8/10. Technical Support: 8/10.

I met an already functional system when I resumed my present appointment. …
      IT Administrator at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
      All in One, Outstanding UTM for complete Network protection and Management

What other advice do I have?

After implementing Cyberoam UTM in our data-center. We tested it by initiating various kind of DDOS attacks. Cyberoam identified every attack, notified us about it and prevented the network from any kind of damage and disturbance. It controls bandwidth to a great extent by use of policy for single user to groups. Easy deployment, good hardware specification, classy reporting tools, no user count restrictions etc. A features-packed and powerful UTM appliance at the higher end of the price spectrum, but worth it.
      Infrastructure Expert at a government with 501-1,000 employees
      Successful + Leading UTM of the current market with all the necessary features.

What other advice do I have?

UTM has all the necessary features to manage internet connectivity and security. It provides protection against spam and threat attacks. Their development team is very busy developing new features so that more technical facilities will be available in the new version.
      Senior Manager of Data Center at a integrator with 51-200 employees
      Unified Threat Management is one of the best layer 8 application and web security appliances by Cyberoam

What other advice do I have?

Unified Threat Management System is an elite product which has been engineered for security, productivity, and connectivity to users across the wide area and local area networks. It specializes in application level filtering according to the OSI Model. Its Layer 8 technology makes it a class apart from the other firewalls available. Layer 8 filtering mechanism enables the user to filter keywords, URLs, and services for application layer filtering. It also has a built in packet inspection engine for packet intrusion prevention.