Sophos Cyberoam UTM OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Sophos Cyberoam UTM is #5 ranked solution in top Unified Threat Management (UTM) tools. IT Central Station users give Sophos Cyberoam UTM an average rating of 8 out of 10. Sophos Cyberoam UTM is most commonly compared to Fortinet FortiGate:Sophos Cyberoam UTM vs Fortinet FortiGate. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 29% of all views.
What is Sophos Cyberoam UTM?
Cyberoam Unified Threat Management hardware appliances offer comprehensive security to organizations, ranging from large enterprises to small and branch offices. Multiple security features integrated over a single, Layer 8 Identity-based platform make security simple, yet highly effective.
Sophos Cyberoam UTM Buyer's Guide

Download the Sophos Cyberoam UTM Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Sophos Cyberoam UTM Customers
Gulf Corporation for Technology, Maridive & Oil Services, Fidelity Bank, Petra University, Capital FM Kenya, Safari Park Hotel and Casino, Mayfair Casino, Pacific International Lines, Mozambique Ministry of Education, University of Namibia, Royal Hospital for Neuro-disability, University of Hawai, New Delhi Municipal Council
Sophos Cyberoam UTM Video

Archived Sophos Cyberoam UTM Reviews (more than two years old)

RO
Managing Partner at O and O
Now looking for options on replacing it and adding e-mail protection

What is our primary use case?

It is a good product, but it is being phased out and replaced with Sophos XG line. Now is the time to view other options available.

How has it helped my organization?

It did the job well at several locations at an affordable cost. It was easy to maintain by the staff with better support before being acquired by Sophos.

What is most valuable?

• Threat prevention
  • Support of the product by their support team was good; we had no threat issues when using the product in multiple locations.

What needs improvement?

Sales and support. The sales team is constantly being changed and after acquisition by Sophos, it was treated as a stepchild until they announced the end-of-life cycle with a path to Sophos XG product. We are now looking for options on replacing it and adding e-mail protection.

ST
IT Support Engineer at a wholesaler/distributor with 201-500 employees
Solid provider of protection services but needs improved reporting

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case of this product is as threat protection services and it works well.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has improved my organization because it provides different angles.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this product is the threat protection.

What needs improvement?

The reporting should be improved as well as the backup.

Three to five years.

The stability of the product is good.

The scalability of this product needs improvement.

I have not used tech support.

How was the initial

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this product is the threat protection.

What needs improvement?

The reporting should be improved as well as the backup.

Three to five years.

The stability of the product is good.

The scalability of this product needs improvement.

I have not used tech support.

I was not involved with the setup of the product.

Learn what your peers think about Sophos Cyberoam UTM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,873 professionals have used our research since 2012.
NirmalKannan
IT Manager at a energy/utilities company with 201-500 employees
It's a single box solution for firewall protection. But, it could use an upgrade to the basic product. It is not as scalable as other products.

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution to act as basic firewall protection.

What is most valuable?

It's a VPN, and the single box solution serves all your needs like an application firewall. In addition, you can set the proxy server.

What needs improvement?

I think that it would be helpful to have advanced application layer security. It's time for Cyberoam to upgrade themselves and add new relevant add ons to their product.

Compared to other firewalls, it is similar to the same generation of products. It isn't great yet, but it will be.

The scalability is not that great. I think that the Sophos XG product is more scalable than the Sophos Cyberoam. …

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution to act as basic firewall protection.

What needs improvement?

When selecting a vendor, we always consider the capability to deliver on their technical background.

I have no comment about the solution.

Chinyama Zama
Assistant Manager IT at a insurance company with 11-50 employees
Web and content filtering, and bandwidth monitoring help keep bandwidth costs in check

• "Web and content filtering are valuable in preventing people from abusing the network and pushing up the bandwidth price."
  • "Cyberoam configuration is done through the browser, which is one of the places that viruses spread."
  • "Once in a while, an unwanted email will slip in. You have to set your parameters to avoid that happening, but once in a while, an email has slipped past firewall. Once you update the firmware, you notice that it doesn't happen. If an email slips in, I get a little bit worried. I do get the report, but you just don't want that situation happening in the first place."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use is for our firewall, for intrusion detection and prevention. Other uses include internet web filtering, application content blocking, and some VPN. We also look at bandwidth optimization. We don't want users to abuse the network.

How has it helped my organization?

One of the benefits has been cost reduction because I am now able to monitor my bandwidth. I have just enough bandwidth to utilize within the organization, without having to spend significant amounts toward additional bandwidth. That has been one of the major benefits.

It has also increased productivity within the organization because now, fewer people are spending time abusing the network, and are focusing more on their jobs. I have not totally blocked everything, they do get their social life after hours, it's just a control during work hours.

What is most valuable?

For me, the web and content filtering are valuable because that, unfortunately, is where the abuse happens a lot. People are abusing the network and pushing up the bandwidth price.

What needs improvement?

Once in a while, an unwanted email will slip in. You have to set your parameters to avoid that happening, but once in a while, an email has slipped past firewall. Once you update the firmware, you notice that it doesn't happen. If an email slips in, I get a little bit worried. I do get the report, but you just don't want that situation happening in the first place.

When I look comparatively at certain products like Check Point - I haven't used Check Point but I have seen it in action - the people who have actually used it have confirmed that they have not had that experience before.

However, I do know that Cyberoam is upgrading from Cyberoam to Sophos. I'd love to see the upgrade. I'd love to see a swap-out of the device. I should be able to swap out my device rather than I have to buy the whole unit again.

One of the places that viruses spread is through the browser. Unfortunately, Cyberoam configuration is done through the browser. That makes the configuration process is easier. But if your PC is clean and you're configuring Cyberoam then you should have no issues in the first place.

I've never used the console, so maybe that's an area of training that the Cyberoam should look into. That would enable me to configure the device without necessarily using a browser. But then again, if I am going to use a computer to configure it, my PC should be clean.

Three to five years.

The solution has been very stable. I have had no issues. Occasionally I do some penetration testing and I put it through its paces. I was quite impressed. I did not see any performance downgrade, which was impressive.

I managed to scale up, but not from the model perspective. It began to fail only when the number of users grew significantly. I had to replace it but that was because we planned for 50 people and, suddenly, the organization doubled to 100 people, which was a significant jump.

It is very good, both local as well as non-local. The technical support for the Cyberoam website was very helpful with regards to the few issues that I had. Here in Zambia, there is a Cyberoam representative, and we have no issues with the support. I have found it very helpful.

One of the reasons we invested in the Cyberoam solution was that we were looking at content filtering. That was the initial discussion. While searching for content filtering, Cyberoam appeared. One of the advantages of Cyberoam, in particular is the Layer 8 technology, the user layer. That pushed us towards Cyberoam.

When selecting a vendor, one of the key issues is the support. It's easy to buy something, but the after-sales support is very critical for me. It is very critical because half the stuff happens not during the purchases, but rather after I've bought the gadgets. I have it on my table, and, yay, it's working and, two days later, it's down and I can't get my support guys on site.

Another one of the determining factors was cost. I chose Cyberoam at a time when the organization was restructuring. We were trying to cut down on cost, so we analyzed the solution critically. Cyberoam has a recurring yearly cost. Competing products are good, but some of the initial setup costs were very high. And then you have to look at the ability to actually get the support in.

So support, pricing, and after-sales were key, as well as the ability to swap out the device should it be faulty. I should be able to swap it out within a specified period. There is no point in having my network down for five hours. Thankfully, I haven't experienced that.

It was very straightforward. I'm a Cyberoam-certified practitioner, but I actually deployed Cyberoam before I got my practitioner license, and I had no issues. So it was very easy.

Cisco has a very good product, but there were only a handful of support people available in the country at that time. My vendors said that Cyberoam has very good support, you can actually learn it and they offer initial support.

I took up the challenge. I bought the product, did the implementation, went to the user training, and the support was readily available for my vendors.

What other advice do I have?

See what your market is offering. Here in Zambia, Cyberoam has a lot of support. Take your time and make sure that when you're making a decision, your requirements are met. Cyberoam met our requirements. I was only looking at web filtering and I got a whole lot more than that.

Also, your after-sales support is crucial. Train yourself, because if you have the knowledge of a product, it's easy for you to set it up and use it to its fullest potential.

I rate this solution a nine out of ten. It has met many of my requirements even without subscription, just the base model. It's easy to use, easy to install, easy to implement. There isn't too much headache or cabling, you don't have to replace a whole, huge network. You're just replacing one thing and it can be implemented without an issue.

Ersin Bostancı
Director Of Information Technology at a hospitality company with 1,001-5,000 employees
We have never had to restart a firewall

• "We have never had to restart a firewall. The firewalls have all worked perfectly fine."
  • "I would like to see a better content management pack and also the website searching should be better."

What is our primary use case?

I use it for security, web management, content management, VPN, and site-to-site VPN. I use many features of the firewalls, like intrusion prevention system, antivirus, anti-spam, etc. I use almost every aspect of the firewalls.

It has performed perfectly fine, so far.

How has it helped my organization?

The benefits are the firewall.

What is most valuable?

The performance and security are the best features.

The security options are great. We never had an attack, which is pretty good. We use it from a standard location, and they are connected to each other.

What needs improvement?

I am not sure there will be a another release of Cyberoam because it will be Sophos going forward. What could be included going forward though? I would like to see a better content management pack and also the website searching should be better.

More than five years.

Scalability is good, if you get good models. I have never had a problem with scalability.

The technical support from Turkey is very good. I would rate them a 10 out of 10.

Cyberoam still supports their old product. Though, the NG theories are not supported anymore.

We started with Cyberoam. We did not switch from anything else.

Before it was Linux machines, but for the service, we switched over to Cyberoam for performance purposes.

The initial setup was done before my time.

After I started at the company, I have continue doing set ups with my assistants. Sometimes, we get external help. Mostly, we do the setup that we want, because previously it was straightforward and easy to use.

Prices are very high.

There were quite a number of vendors in our original shortlist. We chose Cyberoam because it was the leading firewall brand in the world. It still is. We chose it because of its worldwide usage and wide knowledge base on the Internet, and also the positive reviews of its users.

Now, we are trying to evaluate the different brands because Cyberoam was acquired by Sophos, and we are not sure how Cyberoam will evolve in the next few years. Usually in five years, the acquiring company completely acquires their technology and adapts their technology into their own brand and keep on with their brand. So, it seems like Sophos will keep on providing the firewall solution instead of Cyberoam and the Cyberoam brand will eventually disappear.

This is why we are trying to find a proactive solution to get the most support, upgrades, product improvements, etc. This is why we are evaluating whether to migrate over to Sophos or Fortigate, and I have been having a hard time choosing whether to replace all of my Cyberoam products with Sophos or move them over to FortiGate.

What other advice do I have?

I am rating it a 10 out of 10 because it has never failed us.

Talk to people who are actually using it. Actual experience always differs from the product advertisement.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor:

• Market share
  • Ease of use
  • Best practices
  • Comments of different users from different companies of the product.

Before I purchase anything, I go onto web and do thorough research about:

• What the product can offer.
  • What are the challenges.
  • What are the properties of that product that makes our IT people's lives easier.
  • What happens if something goes wrong.
  • How fast I can get support.
  • What are its internet support options?

Sometimes, if a product is used widely, you do not even have to call anyone in support. The answers are all over the Internet. For example, if you are using a Microsoft product, you don't even have to call Microsoft, because the Internet is growing with Microsoft articles about how to do and what to do when there are issues. If you are using a very limited operating system, like a Mac operating system, Mac OS. It's not very common, so you need to get professional help.

MI
Sr. Network Administrator at a manufacturing company with 201-500 employees
Enables us to filter emails and block content, including HTTPS filtering

• "I have problems with the email filtering. Emails pass through without any filtering affecting them. When I get back to them and tell them this is the issue, they check everything and say it is not in their database signature and they have to update it. But you know, by that time, my user has already opened it."

What is our primary use case?

UTM is a full content management. Content blocking, URL blocking, etc. We also use it to manage video and streaming media for the subscriber. So it's for internet usage, basically.

How has it helped my organization?

Before, I was using TMG, and it was very difficult, back in 2010. A lot of things, like HTTP filtering and HTTPS filtering, were a problem for me at the time. If someone asked me to block YouTube for example, I was able to do so in TMG but when it came to HTTPS, I was having some problems. So this is one issue we have resolved.

The second issue, before the firewall, was we only published our required port on the internet.

Third, email filtering. Before, because we were using Go Daddy services, just normal services for email, we had everything coming in. Now, we also filter emails.

What is most valuable?

For me, the most important thing is content management and, obviously, the firewall because we have some servers.

We have different levels of users. Some users, we are just giving them email access. For some users, working sites only. For some users, we are giving them intermediate access so they can access, on the government side, some knowledge bases. For some users, we are giving full access.

So there are two major features for me. One is content management and the second thing is servers, publishing.

What needs improvement?

They have some issues with email filtering. Sometimes, I have found emails that have passed through the firewall, so I contacted Cyberoam. They said, "Okay, we are going to update the signature in the next update you, you will not get it like this again."

It's stable.

Yes, it can handle growth.

I have called them many times. On a scale of one to five, I would rate them four.

I rate them four because lot of times they don't resolve issues. They are just saying, "Okay send the signature, we will update it." Most of the time they are not giving me the solutions. After three or four conversations, they come to understand it is not available and they say they will update it.

We were using TMG, previously. As I mentioned, we were not able to filter email. The second thing was content management. Sometimes we have to block HTTPS. We have to inspect a URL with HTTPS. In TMG, it was problematic because we needed the certificate and other things.

Also, at the time I was publishing servers' URLs. We have some internal services for our users. TMG was handling it, but it was an old tool in 2010. There were no updates.

I chose Cyberoam, because, at the time we had a problem with the budget. I had a minimal budget and it fit my budget.

If someone knows how firewalls work, they can easily manage it. I don't think it's complex.

I checked Fortinet but it was a little expensive at that time for me. We also looked at Cisco but it was expensive. So at that time the two products we compared, because they were easily available in our area, were Fortinet and Cyberoam. And Cyberoam was cheaper at that time.

What other advice do I have?

For a small business, it's okay. It's easy to set up and it's also cheap.

I rate it eight out of 10. I'm not giving a 10 because many times, I have problems with the email filtering. Emails pass through without any filtering affecting them. When I get back to them and tell them this is the issue, they check everything and say it is not in their database signature and they have to update it. But you know, by that time, my user has already opened it.

I don't know why they are not updating. Every time, it seems they are waiting for me to inform them that this is the signature issue or this is the signature that came in through that filter.

Abdul  Faheem
    Sr. Project Consultant (IFS-Complex MRO Process) at a aerospace/defense firm with 201-500 employees
    Facilitated bringing remote locations into one LAN, but lacks security features

• "The best feature is the flexibility the product offers, in terms of remote access. What we had before was a decentralized mechanism in our organization, but after having this product we were able to get the remote locations into the same LAN. We were able to control the bandwidth and were able to take virtual access of those machines and give them the support, as and when required."
    • "There is a lot or room for improvement, because it is still not a fourth or fifth generation firewall. It lacks security features."

What is our primary use case?

Primary use is monitoring. Having a reporting console to monitor the usage of bandwidth. That's the prime concern.

How has it helped my organization?

Let's talk about connecting the branches to the central headquarters. That has really improved our functioning, because we were really facing trouble with remote locations. What we had before was a decentralized mechanism in our organization, but after having this product we were able to get the remote locations into the same LAN. We were able to control the bandwidth and were able to take virtual access of those machines and give them the support, as and when required.

What is most valuable?

The best feature is the flexibility the product offers, in terms of remote access. We have bout 35 locations across the kingdom, and connecting those remote locations with the minimal bandwidth was a challenge. A few of my branches are connected via 3G. So that is the most advanced feature I like about Cyberoam, the flexibility the solution offers.

What needs improvement?

There is a lot or room for improvement, because it is still not a fourth or fifth generation firewall. It lacks security features. I would say security is something that is not that appealing in this product, so that's where they can improve.

Three to five years.

There were no issues with stability.

I'm not sure about scalability because the number of users I had was approximately 250 and the headquarters model, which is CR300iNG, supports about 350 users. The threshold was good, so I did not find any major issues with it.

Average, average, average. Their customer service has to be improved a lot, especially the ticketing mechanism they have. First we do have to first raise a ticket, wait for their availability. And the people, I found they don't have much knowledge, so normally a lot of escalations after which the issue gets resolved.

Earlier, I was using Cisco ICER. I switched because it's not a UTM box, and it requested a lot of add-ons, when it comes to flexibility of those devices. For example, if I needed to extend my user limit, every time I need to purchase a slot and increase the firmware. That was not so appealing. That is the reason I switched to the new, next-generation UTM firewall.

It was very user friendly. It was a straightforward integration. We had no issues. In fact, no system integrator deployed it. We did it ourselves.

It is worth the value.

I did evaluate FortiGate.

What other advice do I have?

The first drawback is that Sophos has acquired Cyberoam. So, if I was a new customer who wanted to choose between Cyberoam and Sophos, I would definitely go for Cyberoam because it has additional features in it. I don't understand the strategy behind it, because the same owner has two different products under one umbrella. It's a bit confusing.

Six out of ten is the best I can rate Cyberoam at this moment. To get it to a 10, it's up to the manufacturer. They need to really upgrade their firmware to match up with the fourth or fifth generation firewalls that other vendors have to offer. My advice would be that the manufacturer needs to focus on security.

it_user462609
    Head of IT Services at a security firm with 10,001+ employees
    Helps us to aggregate/manage bandwidth from two ISPs, as a fail-safe

• "Bandwidth Management and aggregation. It is valuable for combining two ISPs. Switching to a secondary/redundant ISP is thus seamless, in the event that the primary ISP goes down. The Bandwidth Management is also valuable for limiting heavy downloaders that may impact negatively on the experience of other users."
    • "Needs a mail alert/notification when the device loses any of its connections, during ISP redundancy implementation."

How has it helped my organization?

Helps us to aggregate/manage bandwidth from two ISPs, as a fail-safe.

No stability issues.

No scalability issues.

No previous solution.

My network engineers were able to find their way around it in a short time.

It’s value for the money.

Check Point, Fortinet.

What other advice do I have?

I give it an eight out of 10. It’s functionally competitive with higher priced alternative brands.

it_user593490
    Senior Network and Security Engineer
    Helps control bandwidth use and enhances connectivity and security to remote locations

• "The product has helped control bandwidth utilization, as well as enhanced connectivity and security to remote locations."
    • "The following could be improved: Web Filtering using wildcards; clarity regarding the firewall rules; granular reporting features."

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

1. URL filtering
    2. Content Filtering
    3. Remote Access/Site-to-Site VPN features
    4. Traffic Shaping/QoS
    5. Packet Capture

These features have helped control internet utilization and compliance in the organization.

What needs improvement?

• Web Filtering using wildcards
    • Clarity on the firewall rules
    • Granular reporting features

No stability issues.

No scalability issues.

Tech support is good.

Yes, I used other solutions previously. This product provides more technical options to solve critical issues.

The initial setup was straightforward, without any issues.

Contact partners for more information about pricing and licensing.

I evaluated Checkpoint, FortiGate and Cisco Firepower.

What other advice do I have?

The product is stable, and after migrating to the SFOS it is much better.

it_user235446
    Pre Sales Engineer at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
    The price is very competitive and the licensing is easy

• "User and network policies to be managed on a single screen with powerful filtering and search options."
    • "On-box sandstorm should be available. As of now, it is from their cloud."

How has it helped my organization?

• Easy to deploy.
    • Great IPS
    • Managing APs is now easy
    • Infected machines cannot connect the ERP until it is clean, so my internal servers are protected.
    • Great reporting tool
    • User, app, and protocol all are in control.

What is most valuable?

It has many features that no other competition has in single box so far, such as:

• Dual AV engine for web and email.
    • Optimized three-clicks-to-anywhere navigation.
    • New unified policy model enabling all business.
    • User and network policies to be managed on a single screen with powerful filtering and search options.
    • Policy Templates for common business applications, like Microsoft Exchange, SharePoint, Lync, and many more defined in XML enabling customization and sharing.
    • Custom IPS, Web, App, and Traffic Shaping (QoS) settings per user or network policy on a single screen.
    • Sophos Security Heartbeat connecting Sophos endpoints with the Firewall to share health status and telemetry to enable instant identification of unhealthy or compromised endpoints
    • Policy support for Sophos Security Heartbeat to automatically isolate or limit network access to compromised endpoints
    • Application Risk Meter provides and overall risk factor based on the risk level of applications on the network
    • FastPath Packet Optimization
    • Hotspot support for (custom) vouchers
    • Password of the day
    • T&C acceptance

Other valuable features include:

• Wireless guest Internet access with walled garden options
    • Time-based wireless network access
    • Wireless repeating and bridging meshed network mode with supported APs
    • Advanced Threat Protection (detect and block network traffic attempting to contact command and control servers using multi-layered DNS, AFC, and firewall).
    • Sandstorm Cloud Sandbox Protection
    • Patent-pending SPX encryption for one-way message encryption
    • Recipient self-registration SPX password management
    • Hundreds of on-box reports with custom report options: Dashboards (Traffic, Security, and User Threat Quotient).
    • Applications (App Risk, Blocked Apps, Search Engines, Web Servers, and FTP)
    • Network and Threats (IPS, ATP, Wireless, and Security Heartbeat)
    • VPN
    • Compliance (HIPAA, GLBA, SOX, FISMA, PCI, NERC CIP v3, and CIPA)
    • Robust hardware
    • Huge RAM
    • SSD

What needs improvement?

On-box sandstorm should be available. As of now, it is from their cloud.

No issues.

No issues.

Very nice.

Very good.

Used cyberoam iNG firewall/UTM.

The new model is Sophos XG and I am upgraded to that, which is a great solution.

The initial setup is very easy.

Very good.

Almost 100%. It saves a lot of man hours and bandwidth. Management loves its reporting.

The price is very competitive and the licensing is easy.

Cyberoam iNG.

What other advice do I have?

• Value for money
    • Easy deployment
    • Sophos has a great vision, works on information security, products are available like endpoint, mobile mgmt., encryption, WiFi, server protection, email gateway, web gateway, and many more.
    • Sophos Cloud is great.
    it_user749697
    Owner with 11-50 employees
    ​Reliable, good user interface, versatile, and offers a lot of functionality compared to plain routers

• "Good user interface."
    • "We use different workarounds and find different solutions for it, depending on the client's needs. We shouldn't have to, we should just be able to use the product as it comes with Cyberoam, rather than having to revert to other products."

What is most valuable?

• Reliability
    • Good user interface
    • Versatility

What needs improvement?

Perhaps the SSL VPN.

It's a stable product.

Tech support is knowledgeable.

You need special training to set it up.

It is more expensive than cheap routers, but it offers a lot of functionality, and that warrants the price.

What other advice do I have?

I would warmly recommend it.

However, the reason I don't give it a 10 out of 10 is because we sometimes find the customer service or the support lacking.

Gajanan Narwade
    Team Lead.Tech.Support (Network & Security) at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
    Web Filtering and Application Filtering saves a lot of my bandwidth.

• "Web Filtering and Application Filtering saves a lot of my bandwidth and improves the user's productivity."

How has it helped my organization?

By using this UTM, I can set bandwidth for a particular user. For example, If user A is downloading lots of stuff then I can restrict him through the application Web and Bandwidth Management features.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The Web Filter and Application Filter need improvement.

In the Web Filter, there is a problem to block YouTube by HTTPS, so this needs to improve.

There were no stability issues.

There were no scalability issues.

I would give the technical support a 10/10 rating.

The setup was straightforward and user-friendly.

Compared to the other products, it is good.

We evaluated SonicWall.

What other advice do I have?

Close your eyes and just go for it.

it_user545529
      Technology Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
      ​It has made internet usage more productive for internal users

How has it helped my organization?

It has made internet usage more productive for internal users.

What is most valuable?

Web application filtering eases internet access control.

What needs improvement?

The Traffic Discovery feature should allow administrators to disconnect unnecessary live connections.

Great.

Straightforward.

Licensing is a bit costly, mostly for features requiring subscription.

How has it helped my organization?

It has made internet usage more productive for internal users.

What is most valuable?

Web application filtering eases internet access control.

Great.

Straightforward.

Licensing is a bit costly, mostly for features requiring subscription.

What other advice do I have?

Good networking knowledge is essential for a smooth implementation.

Business Development Executive at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
      ​It was straightforward and much simpler to set up than expected.​

• "Content filtering, as this enables me to control that which employees can view at different time quotas."
      • "VPN configuration is not very swift."

How has it helped my organization?

There has been great productivity as, during working hours, I have managed to to set them to view that which relates to the nature of our business.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

VPN configuration is not very swift.

Seven out of 10.

Cisco. Changed solutions due to its command based interface.

It was straightforward and much simpler to set up than expected.

It is very reasonably priced as compared to other solutions in the market.

I only evaluated Cyberoam and found it to not be user friendly.

What other advice do I have?

It is certainly worth a try as it does the job well.

it_user179934
      Security and Infrastructure Analyst at a tech company with 51-200 employees
      For a small-medium enterprise this solution is easy to manage and operate.

What is most valuable?

Firewall, Web Filter, Application Filter, VPN SSL, VPN Ipsec. in one applicance. For a small-medium enterprise this solution is easy to manage and operate. All features are ways to control the security of you network.

What needs improvement?

Maybe network traffic analysis for malware and malicious behavior.

Yes, the older solution was very limited.

None that I remember.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Maybe network traffic analysis for malware and malicious behavior.

Yes, the older solution was very limited.

None that I remember.

Yes, Fortinet.

What other advice do I have?

Enjoy!

JM
      Senior Support Analyst at a non-tech company with 201-500 employees
      the admin interface is great and easy to use

What is most valuable?

Usability: The admin interface is great and easy to use, no need to search documentation; stability and performance are what my company demands.

How has it helped my organization?

Web AV, Content Filter, reliable site to site VPN.

What needs improvement?

Reporting.

Close to a year, and the Sophos UTM 9 for almost two years.

Nope.

So far, no.

I never used it, but I hear it is quite good.

We use to have a few old Microsoft TMGs; it was time to replace.

If you know what you are doing it is really straightforward and quite simple to deploy, setup and then go have a drink.

The hardware has no user limit (the hardware is the limit) while the virtual edition has user limits (I do not like limits). It is a bit expensive, but totally worth the money.

Yes, Palo Alto (awesome product, but a firewall cannot be more expensive than a kidney). SonicWall, a little cheaper, but I’ve found it to be a lot more counter-intuitive to use, did not like that at all.

What other advice do I have?

Go for-it! If you don't have solid knowledge of firewalls, hire someone who does.

it_user395232
      IT Consultant & Network Engineer at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
      ​All in one UTM appliance.

How has it helped my organization?

Secure SSL VPN out of the box appliance. It just works; good web and spam filtering.

What is most valuable?

All in one UTM appliance.

What needs improvement?

Smaller CR15 units don’t have a hard disc or built in IView software. These units could do with that feature.

Very early CR15 unit prone to freeze.

No, as long as you specify the user capacity you should be OK.

When Cyberoam owned the product it was excellent. Now Sophos owns it and it's not as good.

We used to use Fortinet UTM, but Cyberoam is much better in…

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

All in one UTM appliance.

What needs improvement?

Very early CR15 unit prone to freeze.

No, as long as you specify the user capacity you should be OK.

We used to use Fortinet UTM, but Cyberoam is much better in terms of virus scanning, web filtering and spam filtering.

Very easy to set up.

Licensing is very good value for the money.

No, we didn’t evaluate other products apart from Fortinet.

What other advice do I have?

Training is essential.

Fred Fish
      Network Administrator at a non-profit with 501-1,000 employees
      I like the remote VOIP routing through the VPN.

What is most valuable?

Site to Site VPN, and local web filtering.

How has it helped my organization?

The ability to have a site to site VPN, yet have the users use their local internet rather than sending all traffic back to our main site is crucial to their day to day operations. Remote VOIP phone system routing through the VPN we have extension connections to those remote campuses.

What needs improvement?

We have issues with IPS and DoS attacks taking down a couple of our sites. I've changed the IPs of the external interfaces yet the attacks still happen and the Firewall will disconnect the VPN connection as well as stop all internal traffic from flowing externally. I am still able to HTTPS to the external interface, but it takes a full reboot of the appliance to get any traffic flowing again.

Deployment only has one snag. Our VOIP system initially tried to communicate over the internet before the VPN connection is active. Once that happened, unsuccessfully, the phone switch stops trying. But support was able to diagnose the problem and come up with a solution to keep traffic blocked going to the internet, causing it to wait for the VPN to be active and traffic flow successfully.

Seems like the main instability I have found is with my Austin site and the DoS attacks that take down the VPN and internet ability for the local site. I have 7 remote sites and this is the only one that has these issues regularly.

Yes, currently with the Sophos buy out of Cyberoam. My CR15iNG models show not to be upgradable to the new Sophos IOS. Meaning I have to purchase new equipment to get any of the new features and performance. Causing me to investigate other firewalls.

I have always had great luck with customer service. I have been with them for so long that they know me and are pretty responsive to any issues I've had. I have had hardware issues in the past and received a replacement the next day. I've also been on the phone for quite some time for them to diagnose an issue I have and come up with a good solution. While their support is not in the US, I have not had a problem getting someone on the phone when I call.

There is always another level. First level of support is very capable of helping with configuration issues. While when something more complicated is in need they have engineers to speak with and view your appliance to be sure they have all the information and diagnose appropriately.

We used Cisco firewalls prior. They worked great, were more complicated to setup and cost significantly more initially and to renew each year.

Very straightforward for setup. I had a few issues with my VOIP setup but once that was figured out setup for all other sites was a snap.

In-House deployment.

Much less travel expense. Even when I have issues, as with my Austin site, I'm able to rectify them remotely in most cases. With the Cisco I had to travel if I was needing to change the configuration.

These, CR15iNG remote/small office firewalls, units are pretty inexpensive and renewal pricing is well worth the support cost. They do not have a hardware replacement support agreement at this time with Cyberoam. I do believe Sophos is changing that portion of the support agreement though.

Not really, we had the Cisco in place. We had a vendor at the time that was really high on Cyberoam as they have done the evaluation of others for us.

What other advice do I have?

I liked the product so much I purchased one for my home as well.

Prior to Sophos taking over I had a great sales support staff and technical staff. Since that has lagged a bit. I'm hoping that with my upgrade to the Sophos OS that will change, if I stay with their product.

System Administrator at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees

Valuable Features

Most valuable feature I am using I would say is the bandwidth management for users. I have users who misuse the net and I have given them caps so it is properly utilized. Another feature I use is the VPN. I have an entity that requires 24x7x365 connectivity and the Cyberoam is very simple when it comes to monitoring that or refreshing that connection.

Improvements to My Organization

A simple example would be the bandwidth usage. We do not have misuse of bandwidth and the firewall and anti-spam filter work great for me. I see a lot of dos attacks that are stopped which is also a plus point. So organizations productivity is higher thanks to the Cyberoam as users are restricted from unnecessary websites and bandwidth is capped and company functions do not suffer.

Room for Improvement

Not many things would need to be added but I strongly feel it could be made more robust. For example, the cooling system in the device could do with a good revamp. There are times when the device gets too hot and begins to misbehave. Other things that could be improved are the password complexity policy and the password history policy. One thing that could be done as well is to create role based users like we have in the active directory. There are times when we have users who are not admins but need to monitor the device and access levels do not exist for such users.

We don't contact Sophos directly. It is usually through a local partner/vendor.

Other Advice

I would recommend for others to go and view the demo. Make sure this device will suit you needs especially in terms of expansion. Also look into support as not many times support is available. It is a simple to understand product but does require some skill to manage and maintain the device for optimal usage.

Executive at a mining and metals company with 10,001+ employees
      It's easy to manage and handle. BW management and BW quota with limitation policy is easily deployed. The dashboard could be improved.

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

Flat network was there and internet surfing was high. To minimise the risk and BW allocation, Cyberoam is used and it is very productive.

What needs improvement?

The dashboard could be improved.

Since 2013

We've had no issues with deployment.

We've had no issues with stability.

We've had no issues with scalability.

Customer Service: 8 out of 10 Technical…

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

The dashboard could be improved.

Since 2013

We've had no issues with deployment.

We've had no issues with stability.

We've had no issues with scalability.

8 out of 10

The setup was not complex.

We implemented it in-house.

The ROI is satisfactory.

We evaluated Dell Sonic.

it_user179934
      Security and Infrastructure Analyst at a tech company with 51-200 employees
      We can block malicious and unproductive application and sites to improve productivity.

Valuable Features:

• NG Firewall
      • Application Filter
      • Web Filter
      • IPS

All these features are valuable to us because we can block malicious and unproductive application and sites to improve productivity and security in our network, audit users and machines and protect us against exploitation.

Improvements to My Organization:

It's improved productivity as well as user and network security.. It's helped with internet access management and provides security against external attacks.

Room for Improvement:

We have had issues with malicious sites and external scans.

Deployment Issues:

We didn't have any issues with deployment.

Stability Issues:

We haven't had issues with stability.

Scalability Issues:

We haven't had issues with scalability.

Other Advice:

You should hire a Cyberoam specialist to manage it.

it_user285771
      Director / CTO at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
      Virtual Cyberoam allows the customer granular controls at their level and then allows us overriding controls at a parental level.

Valuable Features:

Cyberoam is our low-end product that we use for smaller customers or ones where application security is not a priority. Cyberoam has good AD integration for user configuration and web controls which we like a lot and it’s easy to manage and maintain.  We mostly use the virtual models in VMware.

Improvements to My Organization:

The virtual cyberoam has allowed us to segment our cloud customers via a virtual firewall instance per customer as a second level of security behind our primary systems firewalls.  This allows the customer granular controls at their level and then allows us overriding controls at a parental level.  Makes for great security.

Room for Improvement:

You can now load the Sophos software onto a Cyberoam box to use the new feature set, although it would be nice if it came with it.

Sophos bought Cyberoam a short while ago and they have amalgamated the Sophos technologies with the existing Sophos ones and some from astaro which they previously bought..  So there is now a Sophos firmware which you can install onto the Cyberoam instead of the Cyberoam one. Because it’s Linux based it’s very portable.

Other Solutions Considered:

Great product for the price.

Other Advice:

Cyberoam was bought by Sophos and the new Sophos firewalls take the next step adding more functionality and capability in the box. Cyberoam was bought by Sophos and the new Sophos firewalls take the next step adding more functionality and capability in the box.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a Gold Partner with Cyberoam.
      Sr. System Administrator at a engineering company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      It has good bandwidth management, although licensing costs are high.

Valuable Features

Management Console Security Bandwidth management

Use of Solution

I've used it for six years.

Yes once when we updated a new firmware, then we again rolled back to previous one.

Customer Service: Customer service is very poor. Technical Support: They have good technical support.

When we purchased it, it was complex, but now it’s straightforward. The SSO is introduced in our premise only. At that time we only had the requirement of SSO.

Implementation Team

The first time through the vendor, and the second time our own in house team did it.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Pricing and licensing is high.

Valuable Features

• Management Console
      • Security
      • Bandwidth management

Use of Solution

I've used it for six years.

Customer service is very poor.

They have good technical support.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Pricing and licensing is high.

Farzad Ghafourian
      Presales Engineer at a tech company with 201-500 employees
      It has good performance but their quality control needs to be improved.

What is most valuable?

• Web filtering
      • Application filtering
      • IPS
      • QoS

How has it helped my organization?

I used to work for a Cyberoam distributor. In one of my projects, I deployed it in a university with 1500 users (students), all of whom had different QoS and web category policies, different authentication policies. I then had to connect the university’s branches, in different cities, with a Site to Site VPN using AD authentication available for just the account. This was to restrict access only to the accounting application server of the other branch. It was quite complicated to do, but it was very successful.

In another project for a bank, I secured a banking application server and attached a database using two Cyberoam devices on the edge, with a Juniper device in the middle. This was for securing three different segments - internal users, internal developers and external visitors. The final topology was so secure that, even for some testing purposes, we were not able to break in to change the configuration and access the system as a third party.

What needs improvement?

Not very often, but there are some minor bugs in the products. I think their quality control can improve.

I’ve used it since 2008, so seven years so far.It is a complex product so I’d rate the performance and number of features as 10/10, and 7/10 for the consistency and programing.

Generally speaking, the Cyberoam development is quite simple, easy and straight forward. Overall it depends on the network complexity.

Compared to a Cisco router, Cyberoam UTMs need to be restarted more often. From my point of view, this is acceptable, since many aspects of the product functions in layer seven, while a Cisco router just routes!

Since all the products models from the smallest to the strongest have the same features and capabilities, I can say that the product is extremely scalable. However, if you need to upgrade the whole device to a stronger model, I would say scalability is 8/10, which considering the differences between the number of ports in different models (I could even give 9/10, but let’s stay with 8/10!).

It really depends on the retailer, representative and local distributor. Nothing much to say.

One of the most considerable advantages of Cyberoam over the competitors is the after sales support. The 24/7 support assists the customers, even from minor to very major issues, and they chase up the issue until the final resolution by email and phone. They are really trustworthy.

In a different continent, a different company, and as a customer (not a distributor) I still used the same brand, Cyberoam! It’s cheap, flexible, easy to configure and easy to manage.

I’ve been using the product for ages and I have deployed it in hundreds of networks and complexities. However, using the configuration wizard, the initial configuration is extremely easy and straightforward (depending on the network complexity of course).

I have always installed it myself.

It's hard to estimate, as it depends on the complexity, and scale of the network.It takes anywhere from one day to less than a week in normal situations.

I have evaluated Juniper, WatchGuard and a couple of minor brands. So far, I can still raise the flag of Cyberoam.

What other advice do I have?

Since the features on the model are the same, and it is just the hardware that gets improved for higher models, I usually advise a model one and a half times bigger than the number of the network users. For instance a 1000 user network can be easily served by a 1500NG. However based on my experience, since not all the users are active simultaneously, even 1 to 1 is sufficient. Considering the capability of HA, expansion is simple if needed.

it_user300513
      Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
      ​The initial setup is straightforward and simple, but it needs better support for multiple ISP segregation.

What is most valuable?

There are many features that are valuable, but the Bandwidth Management and Web/Application Filter policies are the most valuable.

How has it helped my organization?

It has minimized the bandwidth consumption as a result of which many other applications run smoothly.

What needs improvement?

The most important improvement Cyberoam needs is the multiple ISP segregation.

I used this solution from 2012 through 2014.

Sometimes the proxy server turns idle, then we need to restart the service.

Customer Service: It's one of the best. Technical Support: It's one of the best.

Which solution did I use previously

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

The most important improvement Cyberoam needs is the multiple ISP segregation.

I used this solution from 2012 through 2014.

Sometimes the proxy server turns idle, then we need to restart the service.

It's one of the best.

It's one of the best.

I have not used a previous solution.

The initial setup is straightforward and simple.

We used a vendor team.

System Engineer L-2 at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      It's good, yet it needs a few improvements.

What is most valuable?

Firewall rules Full control on access management It's simple

What needs improvement?

The scalability needs work.

I've used it for four years.

It needs improvement.

Customer Service: 8/10. Technical Support: 8/10.

We used Cisco, but it was complicated and expensive so we switched.

We used a vendor to do the implementation, and they were 8/10. …

What is most valuable?

• Firewall rules
      • Full control on access management
      • It's simple

What needs improvement?

The scalability needs work.

I've used it for four years.

It needs improvement.

8/10.

We used Cisco, but it was complicated and expensive so we switched.

We used a vendor to do the implementation, and they were 8/10.

Cisco

it_user254625
      Network Security Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
      It is very good and very near perfect.

Valuable Features

The UTM features. It’s a one stop IT security solution managed from the Cyberoam Central Console (CCC).

Improvements to My Organization

Dealing with security threats is a lot easier as it’s less of a CLI interface, and more of a GUI.

Use of Solution

I’ve used it for 12 months.

I met the whole system working when I resumed duty as a Network Security Support Engineer 12 months ago.

Since I resumed my post, the entire Cyberoam system has been stable.

Customer Service: 8/10. Technical Support: 8/10.

I met an already functional system when I resumed my present appointment. …

Improvements to My Organization

Use of Solution

I’ve used it for 12 months.

8/10.

I met an already functional system when I resumed my present appointment.

Implementation Team

I was made to understand that implementation was an in-house arrangement.

ROI

• Cost effectiveness
      • Easier to manage
      • Turnaround time in getting issues resolved faster

Other Advice

The product is very good and very near perfect in terms of service delivery, cost effectiveness and manageability.

it_user2721
      IT Administrator at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
      All in One, Outstanding UTM for complete Network protection and Management

Valuable Features:

Outstanding and must have product for efficient and effective network security. Cyberoam is the only identity-based UTM solution. It offers a well-coordinated protection through tightly integrated security solutions over a single interface.Most UTMs only offer IP-address based security. Cyberoam is the only UTM solution that offers user identity-based security, protecting enterprises from unpredictable, insider threats.Functioning with Layer 8 technology, Cyberoam gives complete visibility into “Who is doing What” in the network and allows policies to be created at the user level based on work profiles. Considering Active High Availability, load balancing, failover mechanism, bandwidth management capabilities and other features, it is worth buying.

Room for Improvement:

Policy configuration and implementation is a bit lengthy process. Nothing else of any significance that we found but yes, it is a bit pricey.

Other Advice:

After implementing Cyberoam UTM in our data-center. We tested it by initiating various kind of DDOS attacks. Cyberoam identified every attack, notified us about it and prevented the network from any kind of damage and disturbance. It controls bandwidth to a great extent by use of policy for single user to groups. Easy deployment, good hardware specification, classy reporting tools, no user count restrictions etc. A features-packed and powerful UTM appliance at the higher end of the price spectrum, but worth it.
      it_user1128
      Infrastructure Expert at a government with 501-1,000 employees
      Successful + Leading UTM of the current market with all the necessary features.

Valuable Features:

Cyberoam UTM appliances work for small, medium and enterprise networks of your organization. It’s a complete hardware firewall with a bandwidth management utility. The internet web filtering facility is available with a group base and a user base in UTM. You can also monitor user activity over the internet and all URL logging with UTM. You can restrict the user, by prohibiting them from unwanted URL categories like jobs, sports, matrimonial, etc. The bandwidth usage graph can be sorted by user, group, entire organization, daily, weekly, and monthly, allowing you to make decisions about increasing bandwidth for organizations. Fail over facility is also available and therefore if any one ISP is disconnected, it is automatically switched over to an ISP2. Backup and restore facilities are available allowing you to take an entire configuration backup and then restore everything if there are problems.

Room for Improvement:

This UTM comes with the user base license so you may have to purchase a different model according to your user numbers. Its costs are high. They provide first year support for free then after that they charge for support. An upgrade charge will be also applicable.

Other Advice:

UTM has all the necessary features to manage internet connectivity and security. It provides protection against spam and threat attacks. Their development team is very busy developing new features so that more technical facilities will be available in the new version.
      it_user1065
      Senior Manager of Data Center at a integrator with 51-200 employees
      Unified Threat Management is one of the best layer 8 application and web security appliances by Cyberoam

Valuable Features:

It is an excellent product with lots of pros such as- 1) AntiVirus 2) AntiSpam 3) Web and application level filtering 4) Intrusion detection with instant prevention of zero day attacks 5) Identity based policy creation 6) Access control criteria 7)Flexible policy creation with stacking and VPN support

Room for Improvement:

Few cons of the product are 1) Incapable of handling new attacks without degradation in performance 2) High pricing 3) ASIC based hence cannot be reprogrammed for newer attacks, falls victim to new vulnerabilities and exploits 4) Older software architecture and lack of multi core technology 5) Performance is a legitimate concern under high traffic conditions

Other Advice:

Unified Threat Management System is an elite product which has been engineered for security, productivity, and connectivity to users across the wide area and local area networks. It specializes in application level filtering according to the OSI Model. Its Layer 8 technology makes it a class apart from the other firewalls available. Layer 8 filtering mechanism enables the user to filter keywords, URLs, and services for application layer filtering. It also has a built in packet inspection engine for packet intrusion prevention.