Sophos EPP Suite OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Sophos EPP Suite is the #19 ranked solution in our list of endpoint security software. It is most often compared to Microsoft Defender for Endpoint: Sophos EPP Suite vs Microsoft Defender for Endpoint

What is Sophos EPP Suite?
Protect every user and every device from malware, spam, data loss and more with our Enduser Protection bundles. Only Sophos delivers best-of-breed endpoint, mobile, encryption, email and web security solutions licensed per user and backed by the best support in the industry.

Sophos EPP Suite is also known as EPP Suite.

Sophos EPP Suite Buyer's Guide

Download the Sophos EPP Suite Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Sophos EPP Suite Customers
EK Services
Sophos EPP Suite Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Sophos EPP Suite pricing:
  • "It may be possible to negotiate licensing cost based on volume."
  • "We purchased a three-year license, which gave us a large discount."

Sophos EPP Suite Reviews

MM
Network Administrator at Transgulf Readymix
Stops infections from spreading around an internal network even after the problems have infiltrated it

• "Sophos EPP Suite has the capability to stop infections from spreading around the internal network even after the problems have infiltrated it."
  • "Sophos does not currently inform users of potential compatability issues with Windows updates."

What is our primary use case?

The use case is that many businesses are trying to make an effort to secure their IT assets more rigorously. Right now, in 2020, and last year, in 2019, a lot of businesses became aware of the incidents that are happening in digital media with security issues. There were many incidents involving ransomware, hacking attempts, botnet — all those things. This made the people more aware and scared about the security of their systems. That is the reason we are selecting products to try and provide the best security endpoints possible for our clients.

What is most valuable?

The main reason why we choose the Sophos EPP Suite is because of its capabilities to stop infections from spreading around the internal network once the problems have infiltrated it. For example, one computer gets infected. When that computer attempts to communicate with another computer — one client to another client — Sophos checks the behavior of the computer. It looks at what it is trying to communicate and what resources the computer is using. If it does something that is suspicious, like move an application that may be a virus, Sophos will stop the activity and disconnect the computer from the rest of the network immediately. It does this automatically without an administrator having to do or even be aware of anything. This is the main thing we like about the Sophos product. It is constantly monitoring all points and has the capability to detect and act on intrusions without other intervention.

What needs improvement?

The area improvement is something very specific. Windows firewall security allows an exception where the user of a specific device can turn the firewall on or off. We need to configure our Windows firewall security in an active directory via group policy. We do not want to allow the exception or for individual users to be able to make this change. When using Sophos, instead of doing this in an active directory, we have to create a policy on the Sophos portal itself. In the Sophos policy, we can indicate which port is allowed and which port is not allowed for the Windows firewall and how it is handled.

Previously, we were using ESET smart security which also has a Windows firewall base. We could control each and every link and port for everything. Like for people taking their desktop remotely, we could allow VNC (Virtual Network Computing) remote connections on a specific port only. All other ports are blocked from this type of access. This feature is something only ESET had. I am pretty much sure Sophos does not have this kind of policy available. They should make this adaptation. The rest of the Sophos product and the technology and utility of the suite is beautiful. I believe all network system administrators would be glad to have this feature.

What I would also like to see added is information about update compatibilities. This should be included in a notification for upgrades from Sophos as to whether there is any reason to update Windows for Endpoint or not. The problem stems from the fact that Microsoft is releasing these updates and the patches for security every month. A lot of those patches have issues and incompatibilities. After Microsoft releases the updates, they sometimes have to release a fix to the update with patches. They usually do this in the next two to three days. It would be helpful if Sophos did the testing of the updates to inform all their clients so we can be sure these updates are OK. Then, in turn, we can inform our clients if updates are compatible with their servers or not.

We deploy this solution to clients and have only been deploying it for several months after testing at our facilities.

I do not have any experience regarding technical support for Sophos EPP directly. But to compare that to the technical support from SonicWall, which I researched on the web, the technical support for Sophos is currently just as good. I don't know personally. From what I have read, they responsive and they are quick to give users a solution. They resolve problems in a few seconds or within five minutes or ten minutes and are as fast and as accurate as SonicWall support. Once we engage in the full licenses, then we'll be able to find out for certain how the Sophos people will respond to help me out for any incidents that we have.

We did not really previously use a particular solution — for ourselves or our clients — that will take care of all the things that the Sophos suite will as a unified product. We are constantly evaluating different products by checking out demos. We have used Sophos products for ourselves and with clients in the past but we still need to activate the Sophos EPP (Endpoint Protection Platform) for ourselves internally with formal licenses. We previously had a license and it is still valid, but we need to upgrade for more users.

The solution we are using right now with most clients is ESET (Essential Security against Evolving Threats) Endpoint Security. We are going to Sophos Intercept X to replace this. We had also been looking into how Intercept X works with the endpoint firewall including how well they communicate with each other and how that may impact our infrastructure. So I've been very interested in the concept of adopting Sophos. As soon as possible, we will get the licenses. About 250 client machines and 55 for our actual and virtual servers.

I very much impressed with the Sophos product called Intercept X. It is  a wonderful concept because it is protecting the end-user in a different way. It is working with a proactive model, not just an active model. So now Sophos will be actively protecting us before some problem is acquired by our systems.

Our current antivirus solution will expire on the 8th of February in 2020. Before that date, we will activate Sophos for our organization backup systems to do further testing. We are currently using a third-party product called Mimecast for email security. We still have one year on the licenses for that. So Mimecast will expire in 2021. Then we will be ready to adopt the Sophos solution that fills this need. We are starting with the Sophos Endpoint solution first, and in July next year, we will check how everything is going with the Endpoint solution and hopefully we will see everything is going well. Then we will move forward adopting additional Sophos products. We will improve like that, one by one, to unify our solutions into the Sophos Suite.

We are currently checking into the actual licensing costs. We are waiting for a quotation for 250 end-users and 55 service licenses. We are hoping for a reduced contract price by directly contacting the Sophos company for the licenses. Because we are in the UAE, they have a lot of connecting partners for Sophos already, so it is hard to say if they need more partners or that they will want to give a significant discount. We still think we hold significant interest for them.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Sophos as a nine.

CG
Manager of Information Security at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Great DLP, very easy initial setup, and quite stable

• "The solution's most valuable aspect, for us, is the DLP portion of the product."
  • "The solution has a strange technical support process where you need to move through all of these tiers before you can get to someone who can help you. They should streamline the process and make it easier to speak to the correct level of support from the outset."

What is our primary use case?

We use the Sophos suite for a lot of things. We use it for the DLP and we can use it for the EDR. We use it for mobile device management and in application control as well. Those are some of the main uses of the application.

What is most valuable?

The solution's most valuable aspect, for us, is the DLP portion of the product.

It's just a good endpoint solution. I can't say that it's better or worse than any other product, however, it has a pretty good feature set. There are good rules, etc.

That application, so far, is actually able to tell us if there are any issues with the machine and what they are.

What needs improvement?

I'm not sure if the solution is missing anything. For us, it seems to be covering our needs quite well.

SentinelOne has what they call a rollback feature. It would be great if something similar was added to Sophos.

We've been using the solution for the past six months.

We've only been using the solution for six months. That said, it appears to be stable. We haven't had any issues. There aren't bugs and glitches, at least, not that I've experienced. It doesn't crash. It's been good.

So far, we've been able to scale the solution quite well. In terms of where we are right now, it's scaling quite well to other parts of the organization, and the experience has been pretty painless so far.

We've probably got about 700 to 800 people on it so far. We have administrators, and then first-level users, which I guess are just reviewers or support, and then support teams. That's probably about it. The security team, which is what I'm a part of, too, has access to the solution for reporting purposes.

We've been in touch with technical support.

They're very responsive and very timely in their responses. We find them to be quite knowledgeable as well. That said, you hate everything with the first level call and the second level call and the third level call. However, for the most part, they're very timely.

This is our first EDR solution, I probably don't have much to compare it to.

The initial setup was not complex at all. It was a straightforward implementation. Everything was very simple.

We handled the implementation ourselves completely in-house. We didn't hire any integrators or outside consultants.

I'm not sure of what our licensing costs are. There are two and three-year packages available. I know we took a three-year package with a large discount applied to it. I'm not sure if there are different tiers, like silver or platinum. There might be. I don't know what the differences would be between them if there are.

I've seen other solutions such as SentinalOne, Carbon Black, and McAfee. I've seen them, however, to be truthful, I can't really explain what I'm missing and what features these options offer instead.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a Sophos customer. We don't have a special relationship with the client.

We're using the latest version of the solution.

In terms of adopting this technology, I'd advise other organizations to work with their integration team and know the products in and out before getting started. They will have to spend a lot of time planning the process with Sophos. However, Sophos has a team that will help companies do that, which really helps simplify the process.

We personally didn't use them for the integration piece, but we did have the conversation with how to get it deployed, and testing, and all those kind of things within our environment.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Sophos EPP Suite. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
542,823 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AndrewOkamar
Network & Endpoint Security Consultant at a tech company with 1-10 employees
A simple interface, good reporting, and easy to set up

• "In terms of the Firewall, the EAP assist, the simple interface and the reporting features are quite good for clients. It's very easy to understand and to navigate the Dashboard."
  • "The support could be improved. The response times are slow."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for a variety of small and medium-sized companies for endpoint protection.

What is most valuable?

For the Endpoint Protection, there are a few different features that are great. The Sophos Interface has got a very good feature for the de-planning that protects the rear de-modeller. The firewall can be completely in there with the Sophos Endpoint agents that are being installed in clients in real-time. The Endpoint Protection also has new features with the EDI Engine. The Endpoint Detection and response won't quit, which is something that the clients appreciate.

In terms of the Firewall, the EAP assist, the simple interface and the reporting features are quite good for clients. It's very easy to understand and to navigate the Dashboard.

What needs improvement?

The support could be improved. The response times are slow.

Most of my clients are comfortable with the product and how it operates, but I'm sure there could be improvements that could be made.

The solution needs to move from small businesses to large enterprises so they can compete with the 40 gig Check Point. They need to build a product for that environment.

I've been using the solution for just over two years.

The stability of the solution is pretty good.

Scalability is a bit limited. There are times you are supposed to open up the APIs for other vendors or developers to plug in their product information. However, currently, Sophos integrates well only with its own products. It's not easy to integrate other solutions in order to expand.

Largely, I consult with small and medium-sized companies of up to 120 users.

In terms of technical support, sometimes you write the ticket, and you're afraid to pass it on, because they are unresponsive. That could be a combination of technical support and the guys in the field or the complex communication between two or three levels of technical support. They need to streamline the support so that there's less confusion between who will respond.

The initial setup is quite simple. It's very straightforward.

The length of time it takes depends on the deployment. It varies because some client environments are very small, so it can take a few hours, or a few minutes if you're good at it. Some deployments can take many hours or even a day depending on what you're considering and the environment.

You only need one person for deployment and maintenance.

I typically handle the deployment myself if I'm not bombarded with too many projects.

What other advice do I have?

I have clients that both use the on-premises and cloud deployment models. I'm a consultant and I advise the clients based on their environments and current needs.

Central management is one thing that stands out with this solution. Other products are now catching up in terms of offering central management. With Sophos, you can manage all the products from one central dashboard. You don't have to install different management consoles. The product is pretty straightforward for the average user.

You cannot choose a more complete Sophos EPP Suite, especially if you're looking for a secure environment. You can secure both the network, the infrastructure and the gateways and share security information. Synchronized security is something I would advise others to look into when they're considering a product.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

AM
Information Security Manager at KIK Custom Products
Good anti-malware and filtering, but shows a lot of false positives

• "The anti-malware and web filtering are the solutions most valuable aspects."
  • "The solution isn't quite accurate enough. It provides a lot of false positives."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for endpoint protection. We use it as an antivirus and for web filtering.

How has it helped my organization?

There isn't an easy way to describe how it's helped our company. It's just a good source of protection.

What is most valuable?

The anti-malware and web filtering are the solutions most valuable aspects.

The solution has the capability to detect and prevent attacks.

What needs improvement?

The solution isn't quite accurate enough. It provides a lot of false positives.

For example, if you log onto the portal, you'll be able to see the endpoints. You'll see the health status, but when you click on one, you'll find everything right there, even though it might not be clear from the health status overview. The accuracy of the status needs to be better represented.

I've been using the solution for several years.

The stability is pretty good. the only complaint is the operation of the solution.

The solution is only capable of being used on a Linus or Mac. It's limiting.

We don't plan to increase usage at this time. We already use 80% of its capabilities and we don't plan to expand beyond that.

I'd rate the technical support as average. It's not outstanding, however, it's also not the worst we've dealt with.

I'm not sure if another solution was used previously. By the time I was hired, the company was already using Sophos.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. It's a typical setup. It's just a regular implied agent.

I don't have any information about the cost or how much we pay. I'm not involved in the finance aspect of managing the solution.

What other advice do I have?

Although I don't know the version number, I'm using the most up to date one.

I'd advise organizations considering implementing the solution to first consider their requirements. They need to know what they are looking for. There are a lot of vendors out there that offer many of the same features. However, if there's just one critical feature that's necessary, you need to be sure it will work correctly for your company.

You also need to make sure you are choosing something that is compatible with other solutions that intersect. We've had experiences where we thought that a certain piece of software would work with Sophos and we realized that it didn't.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

Other
SG
Sophos Certified Technician at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
My firewall knows exactly what's going on in my endpoint; it takes my production level one step higher

• "Synchronized security is a great feature. My firewall knows exactly what is happening in my endpoint."
  • "The solution lacks technical support."

What is our primary use case?

My focus with this solution has been on the firewall and endpoint protection. The  ransomware protection technique and pattern of detecting the malware happens using behavioral analysis. It then looks at where the attack is directed and which command and control servers are connected with that malware or that application. We are partners with Sophos and I'm a Sophos-certified technician.

What is most valuable?

Synchronized security is a great feature. Basically, my firewall knows exactly what is happening in my endpoint. It takes my production level one step higher. The 100% application visibility means that questions are asked: What are the types of application in my endpoint which are attending to that cloud server? Is it for any command and control server or a genuine site? That type of thing. That flows onto the quality control in XG Firewall which checks whether there is any malicious activity present in the system so I can control access of that system.

What needs improvement?

The one challenge of this product is the lack of support. I know they are busy but the response time should be quicker. Even if they had someone to just pick the call up and then generate the cases, that would be an improvement. It could be like Cyberoam where they have one dedicated person who receives the calls and generates the case for the customer and then the engineer responds. With Sophos you can wait on the phone for two to three hours before you get anybody from the technical support team. It's a real challenge.

For endpoint, if they could add the start and stop scanning or abort scanning button to the endpoints, that would be an improvement. Sometimes what happens is that the scan is being used but my system is slow and I have to do some urgent work, but I'm not able to pause the scan. I have to forcefully restart it or try something else. The inclusion of a feature like that would be helpful for end users.

I've been using this solution for the past year.

The solution is stable.

The scalability of the solution is good.

The initial setup is easy but I never recommend anyone do it by themselves first time round because the setup is hardest for the level-one users who haven't used the firewall before. For anyone who is experienced it's not a problem. I implemented the solution for us.

The price of the product is relatively high compared to other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

We might increase usage down the track but not for now, things are very uncertain with the coronavirus. If there was a guide available, that would be helpful for securing of the network.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

MiriamChahuruva
ICT Director at a university with 201-500 employees
Scans silently, but the setup was complicated and machines started getting viruses

• "With Sophos, the scanning of viruses and scanning of the disk is done silently in the background."
  • "The solution is not easy to use in comparison to other endpoint security solutions."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for all our machines in our labs at the university. We use it for endpoint protection.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The solution is a challenge in terms of setting up the rules and managing them.

Since the solution runs silently, you do not know whether the antivirus database has been updated or not. I'm not so sure whether I'm even using an updated antivirus database or if it even scanning every time that I insert a flash disk. I just need that scan and I need to know it's happening. I'm not getting that.

Even if it does a scan, I don't know if hazards have been dealt with. For example, did it clean the disk after it scanned it? In other products, it's much more clear. There needs to be some sort of report that lets you know if it's running if it found something, and what it did with it, etc.

We're concerned the Sophos partners may not necessarily have the right skill sets to deploy the solution in a way that meets our expectations.

I've been using the solution for almost a year.

The vendor that marketed the solution to us told us that they were 100% sure that the solution would cover us in all areas. However, with the challenges we've had, I'm not sure if I can speak to the stability of the solution.

The solution is scalable.

We haven't been satisfied with technical support. We opened up a ticket which they closed without giving us a satisfactory answer.

The initial setup for us was complex. We had a vendor assist us and I don't think they had the proper expertise required to customize the solution in a way that would meet our expectations. Deployment took about two weeks.

We had a third party vendor assist us with the implementation.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

Our experience with Sophos has been mixed. They need to follow up with their local partners to ensure whatever issues their clients are having are resolved. At this point, I wouldn't recommend the solution to others.

I'd rate the solution five out of ten. Earlier, when we installed the solution, we didn't have too many challenges. Challenges didn't start until we started getting reports of people having viruses on their computers when Sophos was running, which makes me concerned that it isn't a secure solution.

BY
Technician at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Scalable, easy to use, and quite stable

• "It's very simple to use. The managing of the endpoints is very easy."
  • "In my country, having an on-premises deployment model is preferred. In this part of the world, on-premises is still the way many companies want to go. Therefore, they should supply some sort of option that allows for that reality."

What is our primary use case?

We're Sophos partners for Africa, primarily in the Ivory Coast. We decided to use it first for testing purposes before proposing it to our customers as an option for them.

What is most valuable?

It's a good product.

It's very simple to use. The managing of the endpoints is very easy.

The product offers great protection.

What needs improvement?

I've been using the solution for about two years at this point.

The solution is very stable. There aren't really any bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's pretty good.

It's scalable due to the fact that it is on the cloud. With the cloud deployment, it is not your problem to think about how many CPUs you must use or how many hard drives you need. It makes everything very easy.

Currently, we have less than 20 users on the solution. We may increase usage in the future as we continue to work with the product.

I've worked with Sophos technical support in the past, however, never directly on endpoint issues. Therefore I can't directly speak to their knowledge or responsiveness when issues arise.

I can't really discuss this, as I'm not the decision-maker at my company. I'm not sure if another solution was used previously.

As a cloud product, there isn't really an installation. It's pretty straightforward. You can click on an icon on the user station and all the management from the cloud is right there.

In terms of deployment, it depends on the local platform of the customers. We have about 20 users and we were able to set everything up in less than one hour.

I handled the implementation myself. I'm a Sophos architect engineer. I didn't need the assistance of an outside consultant or integrator.

I'm not quite sure how the pricing or licensing works.

What other advice do I have?

We're a Sophos partner. We have a business relationship with the company.

I would recommend the solution.

Overall, I would rate it eight out of ten.

CG
Good DLP capability, easy to set up, and the technical support is responsive

• "The most valuable feature is data loss prevention."
  • "If we could bypass the first couple of levels of support when we have a problem then it would be easier and quicker when we need an issue resolved."

What is our primary use case?

We use EPP Suite for a lot of things including DLP, EDR, device management, and application control.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is data loss prevention.

The rollback feature that SentinelOne has would be a great addition to Sophos.

What needs improvement?

I have been using the Sophos EPP Suite for about six months.

This product has been very stable and we haven't had any issues.

We have been scaling its use to other parts of the organization and so far, that experience has gone fairly well. We have about 700 people using it at this point. The users include administrations, first-level users, who are reviewers, and the support team. The security team uses it for reporting purposes.

Technical support is very responsive and also very timely in their responses. It does take time to get through the first, second, and third-level calls, but for the most part, they are timely.

This is our first EDR product.

The initial setup is very simple.

Our in-house team deployed it. We did have a conversation with Sophos on how to get it deployed and testing it in our environment.

We purchased a three-year license, which gave us a large discount.

I have seen CarbonBlack and McAfee, although I have not worked with them enough to know the differences.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing EPP Suite is to work with their integration team to learn the ins and outs of the product. They have got to spend a lot of time planning the process with Sophos, and Sophos has a team in place to help with that.

Overall, I would say that it is a good endpoint solution. I think that we're using every feature that they have. That said, I'm sure that there are some things that I'm missing.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Download our free Sophos EPP Suite Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.