HM
Chief Information Security Officer and Founder at a insurance company with 201-500 employees
Analyzes APTs and the endpoint behavior and provides detailed information

• "It provides a feature for scanning and analyzing endpoints, which is a value-add for our infrastructure. With the advancements in the Advanced Persistent Threats (APTs), Sophos Intercept X analyzes an APT and the behavior of the endpoints. It then gives us a detailed dashboard with more information about the endpoints and their security and risk level. While deploying Sophos Intercept X, we identified a lot of vulnerability and risky endpoints that our previous solution didn't cover, which proved that this solution is the best."
  • "It would be a value-add if they can include integration with other technologies or solutions, like Fortinet, Blue Coat, etc."

What is most valuable?

It provides a feature for scanning and analyzing endpoints, which is a value-add for our infrastructure. With the advancements in the Advanced Persistent Threats (APTs), Sophos Intercept X analyzes an APT and the behavior of the endpoints. It then gives us a detailed dashboard with more information about the endpoints and their security and risk level.

What needs improvement?

It would be a value-add if they can include integration with other technologies or solutions, like Fortinet, Blue Coat, etc.

We have been using this solution for two years.

It is stable.

It is scalable. We have 250 users in our company.

Sophos technical support is very helpful. There are many ways to contact them. When I worked with Cyberoam, in the console, you can directly contact technical support through chat. A consultant joins the chat, and you can give them the control to your appliance to verify the configuration and do other checks and troubleshooting for resolving your issue. This is a strong point in Sophos technologies.

We migrated from Kaspersky to Sophos Intercept X. While deploying Sophos Intercept X, we found a lot of vulnerability and risky endpoints that Kaspersky didn't cover.

The initial setup is not complex. The deployment and testing took us one month.

You start by deploying the server, and then you can install or deploy an endpoint. There are many ways to deploy endpoints. A roaming user can use just the email with the link, or the support team can move the endpoint or assist the user by phone.

We had consultants. For implementation, I coordinated with a consultant from Atos and a consultant from Sophos. Atos is our infrastructure manager and service provider.

Licensing is based on the number of users. They give a discount for editors who are considered as important members. From what I know, Sophos products are not expensive. If you have a license extension, you just need to contact the editor or partner to change the mode of licensing or extend the license to cover more people.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend using this solution. It is an antivirus and anti-ransomware solution. It has many functions and features. Antivirus is its major feature. The anti-ransomware module is its advanced function.

It has been a good solution so far. It has a very good score in NSS Labs, which is a laboratory that tries and tests all security solutions and gives them a scoring. Many other companies have also started to deploy this solution.

We plan to continue using Sophos solutions. I am in touch with new users, and they appreciate this solution. We have a meeting tomorrow with Sophos to share with our technology roadmap and choose the new technologies to deploy in our company. We will do a proper proof of concept of the solution to evaluate technical aspects, technical features, offerings, limitations, and strong points.

I would rate Sophos Intercept X a nine out of ten. It is a good product.

PK
System Integrator, Sr Security Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Good, reliable, and easy to deploy with zero-day protection and lesser price than other solutions

• "We find all features valuable. It has zero-day protection, which is the most valuable feature of Intercept X. We have Intercept X with EDR. EDR is a very important feature. It gives an idea about the source of a particular attack. An administrator gets to know everything, which helps in understanding the things that need to be done or protected in the organization. Based on this information, an administrator can decide what needs to open or allowed in the network. Without EDR, Intercept X is like an antivirus, and the administrator won't get to know the things going on at the organizational level. I recommend purchasing an EDR solution for every organization."
  • "It would be better if it can automatically generate a report for each and every user so that the users get to know the things that shouldn't be accessed from their PCs. It can have information about malicious and non-malicious sites so users are aware of them, and they don't access malicious websites. Such reports can be generated at the end of the day. We should also be able to get through to their support team quickly. Currently, it takes more than half an hour to get through to a technical person."

What is most valuable?

We find all features valuable. It has zero-day protection, which is the most valuable feature of Intercept X.

We have Intercept X with EDR. EDR is a very important feature. It gives an idea about the source of a particular attack. An administrator gets to know everything, which helps in understanding the things that need to be done or protected in the organization. Based on this information, an administrator can decide what needs to open or allowed in the network. Without EDR, Intercept X is like an antivirus, and the administrator won't get to know the things going on at the organizational level. I recommend purchasing an EDR solution for every organization.

What needs improvement?

It would be better if it can automatically generate a report for each and every user so that the users get to know the things that shouldn't be accessed from their PCs. It can have information about malicious and non-malicious sites so users are aware of them, and they don't access malicious websites. Such reports can be generated at the end of the day.

We should also be able to get through to their support team quickly. Currently, it takes more than half an hour to get through to a technical person.

I have been using Intercept X with EDR for the last one year. We have its latest version. It is automatically updated through Sophos Central.

If an endpoint has at least 4GB RAM and the latest OS, the stability and performance are better. If RAM is too less, there is slowness.

We have implemented it for so many customers. One of them has more than 1,500 users. In an on-prem solution, scalability could be challenging. For example, if you are using 1,000 endpoints and want to add 500 more, you need to expand the server memory or RAM. In a cloud solution, you don't need to do any such thing.

They have a very less number of people in their technical team. When I call the Sophos team, it takes more than half an hour to connect to a technical person, which is very challenging. We should be able to get through to them quickly.

Its initial setup is fine. If an end-user is using an old OS version, you need to download the latest patches and all other things. For Windows 10 and higher versions, only the client is downloaded from Sophos Central, and it will automatically sync with the cloud.

I have implemented this solution for so many customers. I am pretty confident in the implementation of Intercept X.

Its price depends on the scenario. It is very expensive, but it is not more expensive than other vendors. The price of Check Point and other vendors is much higher than Sophos.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Sophos Intercept X as well as Check Point.

I would rate Sophos Intercept X a ten out of ten. It is a good and reliable solution.

Learn what your peers think about Sophos Intercept X. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,148 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Rajesh-Singh
CEO & MD at Gurjartech
A good solution with good stability and good price

• "It is stable and has a good price. I find it very good."
  • "They need to focus on their SLA or technical support. They also need to focus on their UI. They should also improve their content filtering tool and update it so that correct categories are there. Sometimes, when I want to block an online gaming website, it is not shown under the correct category. It is shown under another category. They need to review their content filtering tool on a bi-weekly or monthly basis and update the sites and categories. This will be really helpful for them."

What is our primary use case?

My client is a BPO with three branches. One branch is in the US, and two branches are in India. We are using Sophos for the best connectivity. We are using Sophos for endpoint, DLP, and encryption. We are also using it for content filtering and managing security policies. Currently, we are using its latest version.

What is most valuable?

It is stable and has a good price. I find it very good.

What needs improvement?

They need to focus on their SLA or technical support. They also need to focus on their UI.

They should also improve their content filtering tool and update it so that correct categories are there. Sometimes, when I want to block an online gaming website, it is not shown under the correct category. It is shown under another category. They need to review their content filtering tool on a bi-weekly or monthly basis and update the sites and categories. This will be really helpful for them.

I have been using this solution for two to three years.

I am happy with its stability.

I have not scaled it. Currently, I have only one client who is using it.

They need to work on their SLA or technical support. Their technical support is not as good as Cisco's support.

They get back in one or two hours, which is not good enough for a security or firewall solution. This is because an organization's security and all the outgoing and incoming traffic depends on the firewall. When they take one hour and two hours to provide the support, an organization is in danger during that whole duration. There are many threats on the internet, and they need only five minutes to hack.

We also work with Fortinet, Palo Alto, and Check Point solutions. If a client has Check Point, we work with that. Similarly, if a client has Sophos, we work with Sophos. We have knowledge of different end products. As compared to Cisco ASA, Sophos is good. However, Palo Alto and Check Point are better than Sophos.

If you have more than five years of experience in network security or network administration, it is easy, but if you are a fresher, it is very difficult.

In terms of duration, it takes two days for it to be completely functional in production. Just connecting it doesn't take more than three to four hours.

Price-wise, it is good. Currently, we have a three-year plan.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this solution. I find it very good. If you have an experienced engineer with more than five years of experience, you can easily maintain a Sophos solution. An experienced engineer would not require any support and will be capable of handling it. However, if you have someone with two or three years of experience, it will be difficult to handle all the features.

I would rate Sophos Intercept X an eight out of ten.

Darshil Sanghvi
Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Reseller
Provides us anti-malware capabilities with additional features

• "Sophos Intercept X has a host of valuable features, including its anti-malware feature, which we considered key."
  • "Features that should be improved in the upgrade involve the excessive consumption of the the solution's processor, RAM and resources."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is deployed concerning all our users, of which there are between 500 and 600. We utilize it for whoever is making use of our company assets.

What is most valuable?

Sophos Intercept X has a host of valuable features,  which is why we selected it. These include the prevention of lost data, device and web control, and the application level controls with the anti-malware feature. The anti-malware feature was key for us and we benefit from all these other attendant ones.

What needs improvement?

Features that should be improved in the upgrade involve the excessive consumption of the the solution's processor, RAM and resources.

We have often encountered pain points, such as field users having insufficient resources at their disposal. Their system may offer, say, i3 processor or four GB of RAM, and become slow, owing to the large number of features. While it is okay that this results in the system slowing down, it remains a challenge for us, as our users and employees are complaining that it is becoming progressively slower.

In the next release it would be great to also see VPN integrated or in-built in the solution.

We have been deploying Sophos Intercept X for nearly two years.

We have not expanded the solution. As nearly two-and-a-half years have elapsed, the number of users have already been added. We have not increased the number of users in the past year. There is no increase in increment planned for now but, perhaps, there will be in six months' time.

As mentioned, we consider the solution's technical support to be good.

The initial setup was straightforward and easy.

Since prior to using Sophos Intercept X we were using the on-premises solution of Sophos Central, our use has exceeded two years.

The deployment took from five to ten days.

The licensing is annual, which means that we have already procured licenses for three years.

We are happy with the pricing across all Sophos products. Comparatively, the cost is very low.

Prior to going with Sophos Intercept X, we evaluated McAfee, Trend Micro, Seqrite and Symantec.

What other advice do I have?

Sophos Intercept X does not have any specific version. It started out on-premises but is now cloud-based. As such, we are using it on the cloud, meaning, Sophos Intercept X Advanced.

We use EDR for both solutions.

There are currently around 550 to 600 users making use of the solution across our company.

For someone contemplating implementing the solution who is looking for a single product containing many features, Sophos Intercept X is the best available. It has features like web, application, and device control, as well as DLP. For someone solely interested in an anti-malware solution, but without DLP, Sophos Intercept X would be so-so.

I would rate Sophos Intercept X as an eight out of ten.

Head Of Information Security at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to set up and stable but lacks responsive technical support

• "The initial setup is pretty straightforward."
  • "They don't have the full stack of offerings as compared to the other competitive products that we see."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Sophos as an endpoint protection solution.

What is most valuable?

It's too early for me to really evaluate the solution at this company, as I've only been at the organization for a month. That said, I have used Sophos before.

So far, the protection aspect seems to be good.

I have used Sophos in my previous job and it has been a stable product.

The product scales well.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

What needs improvement?

The challenge with Sophos is whenever there's an escalation to a level 3 or level 4 or a certain kind of important issue, or if you want to reach out to the leadership, it's difficult to do so.

While I've only been at the organization for about one month, it's my understanding that the company has been using the solution for about a year.

The solution is stable. From what I have witnessed, it doesn't crash or freeze and there are no bugs or glitches. Historically, the performance has been good and I've found it to be reliable.

The solution is very scalable. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so. It's not a problem.

We have about 5,000 users on the solution currently.

The support on offer isn't ideal. In terms of the support on offer, for example, if there was a zero-day kind of attack or something, the turnaround time that Sophos offers is not acceptable. They should improve their responsiveness. We are not 100% satisfied.

I've only been at this company for one month and have yet to contact technical support on behalf of this company.

The installation process is very simple and straightforward. It's not overly complex or difficult. A company should have any issues handling deployments.

Currently, we are considering other solutions and may move away from this product.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers and end-users. The company does not have a business relationship with Sophos.

I cannot speak to the exact version of the solution we're using. My understanding is that we are on whatever the latest version is.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten.

I wouldn't recommend the solution at this time as we are considering going to another solution.

Cliff Matonda
System Administrator at a non-tech company with 10,001+ employees
Cloud-based, very stable, and makes it very easy to manage your endpoints

• "I like the way it goes beyond the office space. Being a cloud-based solution makes it very easy to manage your endpoints within the office. In this time of COVID, you can also very effectively manage people who are working from home."
  • "I have not done it, but integrating it with authenticating the users on the Windows system looks a bit complicated to me. It could be because I don't understand it."

What is our primary use case?

We mainly use it on our endpoints. We use it for Windows machines and laptops. They have a server version for the servers.

What is most valuable?

I like the way it goes beyond the office space. Being a cloud-based solution makes it very easy to manage your endpoints within the office. In this time of COVID, you can also very effectively manage people who are working from home.

What needs improvement?

Its installation takes a bit longer for each of the vendors. I don't know whether it is because of the internet connection. I don't know if it is just for me or it is the same for every other user.

I have been using this solution for two years.

It is very stable.

It is very scalable. There are around 120 users and devices.

I have never contacted them about this new product. I used to contact them before, and I don't have issues with their technical support. They respond, and their response is good.

We were previously using Sophos Central. It was on-premises, so we migrated from that solution to this solution. It is pretty much the same thing that we were doing before, but now it is cloud-based.

A new device installation is very easy. During installation, when you download the installation file from the web, the registration works so well, but the installation takes a bit longer for each of the vendors. I don't know whether it is because of the internet connection. It looks like it is the web installer that takes longer. I don't know if others have experienced the same issue.

We also had a few challenges during migration. Because we were doing a migration of the site, we wanted just to maintain what we were doing before.

We did it ourselves. I'm part of a larger group, and my colleagues had done its implementation.

We have bought a three-year license.

What other advice do I have?

I would very much recommend this solution. I would rate Sophos Intercept X a nine out of 10.

WS
Founder and General Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Stable with good pricing and rather simple to use

• "The pricing is fair. It's not too costly for our small organization."
  • "It could be a bit easier to implement."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution and we are also reseller of it. We offer it to our clients as well.

We primarily use the solution for security in order to protect our users and our endpoints.

What is most valuable?

The simplicity of the product is very good. I'm not a very technical person, therefore, the ease of use is very much appreciated.

Integrations are pretty easy to handle. That's very helpful to us.

The pricing is fair. It's not too costly for our small organization.

What needs improvement?

I can't think of any features that are lacking.

The solution needs to ensure it is keeping up with the latest malware defenses and security advancements.

It could be a bit easier to implement.

I've been using the solution for a couple of years at this point. It's been a while.

The stability of the solution of pretty good. We've never had issues with instability. It's reliable. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

The solution can scale. If a company needs to expand it out, it can do so with ease.

We are a relatively small organization. Therefore, we don't have too many people using the solution. There are 20 of us, give or take.

I've never used technical support. I can't speak to their level of knowledge or how quickly they respond.

The initial setup has a moderate amount of difficulty. It's not too hard or too easy.

I'm not sure how long deployment generally takes, however.

The solution isn't too expensive. We're pretty happy with the pricing.

What other advice do I have?

We are a small company and we don't use enterprise-class solutions. Our customers are mainly mid-size companies. I am a reseller. However, I do use this solution within our organization.

We're using the latest version of the solution. I'm not sure of the exact version number at this time.

I'd recommend the solution to other organizations. We've been happy with it so far.

Overall, I would rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

MB
Founder, Director at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
A stable and scalable solution which is easy to install and allows for synchronized protection

• "One of the best use cases involves synchronized security staff, which allows us to manage both the firewall and the anti-virus features from the cloud."

What is our primary use case?

One of the best use cases involves synchronized security staff, which allows us to manage both the firewall and the anti-virus features from the cloud. They work in tandem with each other. So, if there is any threat detected by the endpoint, it communicates information concerning this change to the firewall. For that particular client, at the firewall, it can update all other endpoints into the network to check if the same threat is visible on any other machine. Then, corrective action can be taken collectively with a single click.

What is most valuable?

We have not encountered any issues involving the solution. A point in its favor is that it has not slowed down our systems, such as occurred with McAfee, Symantec or even Quick Heal. This has been a positive experience for us. Also, the synchronized security, in which things work with each other, provides us with a pretty automated remediation methodology which cuts down on much of the manual steps and workload.

What needs improvement?

At present, the solution meets the needs of our business scale. Perhaps in the future, as we grow and face increased challenges, there would be a need to explore other options.

We've been using Sophos Intercept X for around six months.

The solution is pretty stable.

The solution is, indeed, scalable. As a cloud-based solution, it is all about scalability.

We have yet to encounter a situation in which we had a need to call tech support.

The solution is pretty straightforward and very easy to configure.

Installation took no more than two or three minutes.

We, ourselves, are system integrators and we have a staff of around seven people, consisting of eight engineers and a person who is responsible for the accounts, meaning the support staff.

One can pay for the license annually, or at two and five year intervals.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is cloud-based.

I would absolutely recommend this solution to others. So far, so good.

There are roughly 25 people making use of the solution in our organization.

I rate Sophos Intercept X as a ten out of ten.

Download our free Sophos Intercept X Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.