Sophos Intercept X Overview

Sophos Intercept X is the #6 ranked solution in our list of EDR tools. It is most often compared to Microsoft Defender for Endpoint: Sophos Intercept X vs Microsoft Defender for Endpoint

What is Sophos Intercept X?

Sophos Intercept X stops the widest range of attacks with a unique combination of deep learning malware detection, exploit prevention, anti-ransomware, and more.

Sophos Intercept X is also known as Intercept X.

Sophos Intercept X Buyer's Guide

Download the Sophos Intercept X Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

Sophos Intercept X Customers
Flexible Systems
Sophos Intercept X Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Sophos Intercept X pricing:
  • "We were able to eliminate the ransomware using the one-month, full-featured trial license."

EA
President at a tech vendor with 1-10 employees
Reseller
Great reporting and good training with a pretty straightforward setup

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for malware protection.

• "The updates and a lot of the day-to-day fiddling that you would have to do with it, can all be done from the cloud so it's easy to manage, and very easy to administer."
  • "The number one thing I would like is if their support could be a little faster and it would be a little easier to get a hold of support when you need them."

What other advice do I have?

We're Sophos partners and resellers. We always deploy the latest version of the solution. We deploy the Intercept X Advanced with EDR. All the management is done through the cloud. Then there's a client piece you put on, on-premises. We do the management through the cloud and we put the client piece on the premises. I like a lot of the things that Sophos is doing. They didn't have one this year, however, they have an annual conference, and one of the things they had done, this was right before they got bought by this other company, is they had hired a lot of really top talent. These guys, when…
Mike Parsons
Senior CyberSecurity Architect and Mentor at BlueTeamAssess LLC
Reliable, scalable and very simple to set up

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is basically having a synchronized perspective on what's going on between endpoints, firewalls, and whatever other types of preventative measures the customer has.

• "The thing that I like about it is the synchronized security. You can tie endpoint protection and firewalls and a whole range of other services and products. You can get your servers taken in under this."
  • "The problem is that if you have a lot of different components going on, each managed under a different umbrella, then you're going to be spending a lot of time hopping back and forth between the different components to see, "Well, I got hit here. What did my firewall see? I got hit in the firewall, the firewall says it allowed that attack in, did it land on anything to compromise any of my endpoints?""

What other advice do I have?

We're partners with Sophos. We're a consulting company and we provide some managed services. Sophos products are some that I deploy and manage for my customers. I don't have the EDR or any of the really sophisticated stuff. The client doesn't think that they have a need to go to another level. I don't have EDR or MTR deployed for the customer. I work primarily with small businesses. So sometimes it's kind of hard to get them to invest more than what they feel comfortable doing. Other organizations should give it serious consideration if they are looking for a solution. The price point is not…
Learn what your peers think about Sophos Intercept X. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,742 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Ashis Das
Hybrid Cloud Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Good web filtering with an excellent central console and the capability to scale

What is our primary use case?

We primarily brought on the solution to replace Symantec's product, as Symantec was purchased by Broadcom. The company in question has a lot of stuff, and 40 users, and is a pure Windows environment. They don't do anything on Mac or Linux, for example.

• "The package we use also comes with spam filtering features, which are quite useful."
  • "The initial setup can be a bit challenging."

What other advice do I have?

We are a reseller. We deployed the latest version of the solution. I don't have the version number on hand, however. It's a good product to consider if a company is looking to also do spam filtering. What Sophos has as well as a firewall, and it'll give a company a little bit of tighter integration, and that's good. Having those additional security tools as add-ons is an excellent option. We personally haven't gotten their firewall yet, however, it is nice that that is an option. I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten. Overall, in the short amount of time we've used it, we've had a…
Mohamed Y Ahmed
Technical & Pre-Sales Manager at GateLock
Reseller
Provides dependable, intelligent attack defenses and is easy to manage and work with

What is our primary use case?

We are providing this product and support for it in many sectors like health care, retail, sports, and communication sectors. We are also working with Sophos, but with Sophos Endpoint, not XG, or Sophos UTM. We work with Raya (Contact Center) that provides services here in Egypt (they are also using Sophos 550 XG models).

• "It is a practically maintenance free intelligent system that independently protects environments from malicious attacks."
  • "The product defends very well on its own but could possibly use enhancement in giving users more controls."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate Intercept X as a nine out of ten. I don't think I can rate any software security product a ten because nothing in software security is100%. We are deploying Intercept X on Cloud, not on-premises. The reason for this is because the previous versions of Sophos made the agents different between the anti-virus, endpoint and the Intercept X. Now with the Cloud, Sophos is making one agent for the three technologies — the endpoint, Intercept X, and EDR (Intelligent Endpoint Detection and Response). The three components are in one agent and managed by one…
FZ
Network Administrator at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Not just another simple virus-scanning product, but it does not handle removable USB drives well

What is our primary use case?

We use Intercept X Advanced along with Sophos EDR (Enhanced Data Detection and Response). We use it for our servers and clients as advanced protection. It is not just a simple virus scanning product. We use it to work with clients and it is installed on five servers. At this time we have only installed it at one customer site. But we plan to continue to expand.

• "It is not just a simple virus scanning product. It handles more advanced needs."
  • "This product does not handle USB drives well."

What other advice do I have?

Advice that I would have for people considering using virus scanning is that I, personally, would not use Sophos Endpoints. That is the simplest edition of the Sophos virus protection product line. I would use Intercept X Advanced as the entry-level product as the other, simpler product, is not robust enough to provide acceptable protection for businesses in my estimation. On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Sophos Intercept X as a seven. First, I never give a ten because every product can be improved. Second, I subtract two points because of my…
CG
Manager of Information Security at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Excelling in this competitive product category with more features than users put to task

What is our primary use case?

The EDR (Enhanced Data Detection and Response) and the DLP (Data Loss Prevention) components are probably the biggest areas of the product that we employ. We also make use of web content filtering and application control as well.

• "The EDR (Enhanced Data Detection and Response) and the DLP (Data Loss Prevention) components are valuable assets."
  • "Scalability is good."
  • "Technical support is responsive and adept."
  • "There is some issue with the reporting and refreshing information on resources that have been eliminated."

What other advice do I have?

My biggest bit of advice for people taking on Intercept X is to train your staff on all of the functions of that solution. There are a number of solutions within the one product and it is best to know how to use them all and if they apply to your circumstances. The biggest lesson we have learned from using Sophos is that the product can be a bit overwhelming with information and data. That is the situation where your training and your resources come into play. Make sure you have a complete plan to utilize the tool or you will have pieces that are just sitting there and nothing is happening to…
EG
IT Manager at a construction company with 201-500 employees
Excellent at capturing malicious threats together with an aggressive next generation firewall

What is our primary use case?

The main use cases of this solution are for protection from ransomware and malware. Although we don't have EDR because of its high cost, we do have the capability to filter the website. Our use case is more about capturing crypto and the like that can encrypt files. I'm a system administrator and we are customers of Sophos.

• "Anti-virus captures malicious threats and an aggressive next generation firewall."
  • "Deployment on cloud needs to be carried out manually."

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product but it comes at a high price. As a result, I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.
EA
IT Infrastracture Consultant at a healthcare company with 201-500 employees
Behavioral-based protection that is user-friendly and easy to deploy

What is our primary use case?

We were recently the target of a ransomware attack and we used this product to clean it from our environment. Our in-place endpoint protection is just signature-based and it was not able to identify which device had passed the malware. I am in charge of monitoring at this time.

• "The most valuable feature is the behavioral, non-signature-based threat detection."
  • "When there is an event generated by either the firewall or Intercept X, and the originating IP address is the same, these should be merged into a single event rather than two."

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is a good product that seems to address our concerns and I can recommend it. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
See 37 more Sophos Intercept X Reviews
Download our free Sophos Intercept X Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.