Sophos Mobile OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Sophos Mobile is the #13 ranked solution in our list of top Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) tools. It is most often compared to Microsoft Intune: Sophos Mobile vs Microsoft Intune

What is Sophos Mobile?

Sophos Mobile is a Unified Endpoint Management (UEM) and security solution that helps businesses spend less time and effort to manage and secure traditional and mobile endpoints. The only UEM solution that integrates natively with a leading next-gen endpoint security platform, Sophos Mobile supports management of Windows 10, macOS, iOS, and Android devices.

Sophos Mobile is also known as Mobile Control.

Download the Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Sophos Mobile Customers

VIST Bank

Sophos Mobile Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Sophos Mobile pricing:
  • "The licensing is paid on a yearly basis."

Sophos Mobile Reviews

BM
Sophos Engineer at TELE IT A/S
AI-Synchronized Security, Central administration, Asset management, Remote Support, saves valuable time and resources for other projects

• "The management and enrollment process is great, and with the asset management and instant action menu, we can easily maintain and support the users."
  • "We would like to see graphics showing the use of each device."

What is our primary use case?

Sophos handles the security through AI-Synchronized Security AI Deep Learning/Security Heart Beat, DLP, Easy Enrollment (DEP, KME, Google Zero Touch), App management, VPN per App, iOS, Android, Windows 10 clients, and Mac. It is easy to set up, enroll users, and manage.

The Secure Workspace (GDPR Compliance / separation of corporate data from personal data) / (container with corporate apps like secure e-mail, calendar, contact persons, and corporate browser etc.) is easy to manage. It takes only a few minutes to get started. With the "instant action" and support for TeamViewer, mobile support has never been easier.

How has it helped my organization?

The central admin helps us to save resources and add more time to other projects. The administration of mobile devices has been reduced by thirty-five hours per week, and we only have to focus on deviation/alerts. Sophos handles all of the security, cleaning up automatically, and sending alerts. There is no need for awareness while Sophos is in control. We can even upload our corporate apps into the Sophos MDM/MAM/EMM/EEM.

What is most valuable?

As a corporate manager, we now have corporate ownership of all devices and can easily distribute profiles, apps, documents, and compliance rules. The user interface is very logical and easy to work with.

The most important feature for us is that Sophos Mobile Device Management is a part of the Sophos concept of Synchronized Security / Intercept-X. It handles Firewalls, Wi-Fi, Servers, virtual servers, Unix, Linux, cloud, endpoints+EDR (PC and Mac), Web Gateway, E-mail gateway, and DLP (Data loss protection) / CryptoGuard (Military standards). It also supports integration with corporate AD, SIEM solution, with the best AV and Ransomware defender on the market. It provides Asset Management, Reporting, alerts, subscription, dashboard, a fantastic Root Cause analysis tool, Application control, Sandboxing, Patch Management, and even a Phishing module. It is even possible to design and automate Phishing campaigns for educating users.

With Easy Enrollment through "Apple" ABM/DEP, Samsung KME and Google Zero Touch which covers all smart-phone brands, we are not spending time on enrollment or setting up the smart-phones (Security, Apps, Documents, VPN, O365, Mail) or secure workbrowser.

The ROI has been calculated to more than 500% / less 12 months pay-back - AND additionally saved time on reporting and documentation by using the reporting and asset management.

What needs improvement?

We are looking forward to additional Patch Management, which has been announced for release in Q3-2020.

We would like to see graphics showing the use of each device. It would also be helpful to have a tool for designing mobile device screens, and a tool for handling which numbers the users are allowed to use.

Otherwise, we have everything we need.

3 Years

As it is running on Sophos Cloud (AWS), the performance is outstanding.

Sophos MDM can handle everything from five users up to ten thousand.

We have had no need for technical support as we have prepared the project. We did, however, spend some time with the vendor while setting up the firewall for App-VPN. We have no complaints.

We did not use another solution prior to this one.

Within thirty minutes we had the first ten users enrolled (including corporate Apple setup, corporate Knox setup, AD-integration, and Corporate TeamViewer-setup). Once you have made DEP and KME integration, the enrollment process runs automatically. As an admin, you are saving a LOT of time with no more phone setup, enrollment, etc. As all iOS devices has to be "managed" / Supervised we have made automation in all the Supervised processes and compliance rules.

We created an internal team for understanding, implementing, and managing Sophos. This included the setup process, defining compliance rules, and deciding which apps and profiles we would use. Once we were comfortable, we started the process.

We have made a ROI calculation with all aspects of the mobile handling, administration and security which surprisingly is above 500% and a payback within the first year by (>300%). With these numbers nobody can afford NOT to invest in Sophos MDM. (Calculations are available on request).

In Sophos, a user can have more devices (Laptop, PC, Mac, iPad, iPhone, Android, and even Chromebook), but you only have to pay for the numbers of users.

We have been evaluating Microsoft Intune and IBM Maas360.

What other advice do I have?

The Synchronized Security / Sophos Central provides ONE platform for management of Firewall, Wifi, Servers, Endpoints, Unified Mobile Devices (some using ONE App only and some are enrolled in Apple DEP / ABM with company specific policies (blueprints). Some have been enrolled in Samsung KNOX and we are working on the Google Zero-Touch Enrollment program+ Windows-10 / Office 365), Cloud (Azure) and AWS, Encryption and have the best anti-ransomware engine on the market (Intercept-X). Additionally you have a Threat Analysis Center from where you will have a perfect overview if the company should be under attack both from the outside and from the inside of the network. We have optimized our SD WAN (Sophos XG Firewall). By taking advantage of the Sophos cloud platform, the device asset-management and integration with the company Active Directory makes it easy to enroll all kind of users and on the same time, we have a perfect overview of all devices, where they are, who are using them and even serial numbers etc. for each device.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Customer, user and partner
Eugene Allen
Senior System Engineer at a legal firm with 51-200 employees
Complicated setup, poor tech support but some solid features

• "In terms of valuable features, we liked the lock feature, the roll-out white feature, and the find feature. I think that Sophos had a GPS locator, so you could figure out where the phone was from a GPS location."
  • "In terms of what could be improved, the initial configuration and setup of the environment could probably be made a little bit easier. There are so many pieces that go into it. Intune is absolutely insane and Sophos is better, but it still is a bit complex to get it all set up correctly."

What is our primary use case?

We were attempting to safeguard corporate data as it leaves our walls. We already have encrypted laptop hard drives, so we were trying to extend that to cell phones for One Drive, Outlook, and One Note. All that is corporate data. And if you lose your cell phone or somebody steals it or you dump it in the toilet or any number of things that could happen to your cell phone, we want to be able to block access, delete the corporate data, do all those things that good security people are supposed to do.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

In terms of what could be improved, the initial configuration and setup of the environment could probably be made a little bit easier. There are so many pieces that go into it. Intune is absolutely insane and Sophos is better, but it still is a bit complex to get it all set up correctly because you need to have certain certificates for Apple in order for you to connect to their device. And then you've got to have policies for this and rules for that and it is very complicated. We eventually get there, but their wizards just keep asking you questions, "Well, I don't know what that is." It's like, "Why do I need that?" Or "Where does that come from?" It's just so much.

I would like to have seen them, like several other packages I've seen, give you a set of basic rules and policies that most people use, so that in 10 minutes I could have the environment set up and have basic protection.

For most of the mobile device management, you pop the box and you've got to figure out what your policy is going to be, what your rules are going to be, and what software are you going to use. Are you going to do the full phone or a container? You've got to go figure out all these things because nobody tells you anything. My experience is that even after reading manuals and trying to figure out what pieces of data go where, or checking the support website, then you go look at the wizard or the interface, and it's different. They described things differently. There's a piece of data that you need that's required that the documentation doesn't say that is supposed to go in there. And it just drives me insane when the documentation doesn't exactly match what I'm looking at on the screen.

We have been using Sophos Mobile for the last 12 months.

I called their technical support on occasion, but calling tech support is like pulling teeth or having a root canal. It's painful because you have to go through level one and you explain in excruciating detail exactly what your problem is. And then they write it all down and they give you a support case number. And then they have to pass it on to level two. Who knows what their technical acumen is, because level one can't fix the problem. Then they have to pass it on to level two. And it's not, "Hold the phone a minute and I'll go get this person for you." It's hang up and they'll call you when they get to you.

It's absolutely terrible. Like I said, I've been in the business for a long time so I do not call tech support until I'm really, really stuck or it's really, really broken. And it's offensive to me to have to go through a level one and answer juvenile questions of stuff I've already done and not even be able to speak to a level two or an actual engineer about fixing my problem. I could get it fixed in five minutes if they just let me have a phone call.

The initial implementation was done by me and I'll tell you why. It's money. Budgets are extremely tight right now, especially with this COVID stuff that's been going on. I don't have the luxury of a budget to spend a thousand dollars on a consultant to come in and do stuff that I have the technical capability to do. So if I spend money on a license, I've got to be able to handle the configuration. Plain and simple.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, I would rate Sophos Mobile a four.

They need to make it easier.

I've been in this industry for 30 years, so I'm not stupid by any manner of means. But like most IT personnel, I've got more on my plate than I can shake a stick at. I don't have time to spend the three or four days to read volumes of support articles and figure out configurations and then mess with the GUI and screw it up and have to figure out how to fix it and how to push out rules that I really need. I don't have time to do all that. So the easier they can make an out of the box solution, the better. I suppose I could delegate it to somebody, but they are busier than I am. So it's the same situation.

Other
Find out what your peers are saying about Sophos, Microsoft, VMware and others in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM). Updated: September 2021.
541,108 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Amir Kasem
Technical manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Stable, scalable and easy to use, but the security could be improved

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for mobile device management.  We use it to control and secure devices. If laptops or our mobile is stolen, and these devices contain company data, we can track them and wipe our data to ensure that it is not in the wrong hands.

What is most valuable?

Sophos Mobile is a really good product. It is easy to use. They always add more features to this product.

What needs improvement?

The security could be improved. It could be more secure.

I have been dealing with Sophos Mobile for two or three years.

Sophos Mobile is a stable product.

It's a scalable product.

How are

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for mobile device management.

What is most valuable?

Sophos Mobile is a really good product.

It is easy to use.

They always add more features to this product.

What needs improvement?

The security could be improved. It could be more secure.

I have been dealing with Sophos Mobile for two or three years.

Sophos Mobile is a stable product.

It's a scalable product.

Technical support is good.

It is a cloud-based solution but we can install it. It's similar to an engine, we can install it on a mobile device.

It can be installed for a maximum of two hours.

The price is in the medium range. It is not very high, but it's not low.

It could always be lower.

The licensing is paid on a yearly basis.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I would rate Sophos Mobile a seven out of ten.