Sophos SafeGuard OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Sophos SafeGuard is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Mobile Data Protection tools. It is most often compared to Microsoft BitLocker: Sophos SafeGuard vs Microsoft BitLocker

What is Sophos SafeGuard?
Protect your confidential information and comply with regulatory mandates safely and securely with SafeGuard Enterprise, Utimaco's comprehensive modular information protection platform. SafeGuard Enterprise is a modular information protection control platform that enforces policy-based security for PCs and mobile devices across mixed environments. SafeGuard Enterprise offers full transparency to end-users and is easy to administer from a single central console.

Sophos SafeGuard is also known as SafeGuard, SafeGuard Encryption.

Sophos SafeGuard Buyer's Guide

Download the Sophos SafeGuard Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Sophos SafeGuard Customers
Rushmoor Borough Council
Sophos SafeGuard Video

Archived Sophos SafeGuard Reviews (more than two years old)

Mohamed Y Ahmed
Technical & Pre-Sales Manager at GateLock
Reseller
A stable, easy to scale solution with very good encryption capabilities

• "The most valuable features of the solution are the fact that they are able to encrypt the hard disk and to encrypt USB sticks."
  • "The solution is not using other features like booting encryption, because it causes very heavy processing of the workstation. If they could find some way to handle the encryption and decryption to be lighter on the workstation it would be better."

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of the solution are the fact that they are able to encrypt the hard disk and to encrypt USB sticks.

What needs improvement?

The solution is not using other features like booting encryption, because it causes very heavy processing of the workstation. If they could find some way to handle the encryption and decryption to be lighter on the workstation it would be better.

It would be ideal if the solution could make the processing possible on an appliance, instead of having to install it on a machine. Also, it should be in the network layers and communicate with more workstations. The encryption and decryption processing should not be on the workstation; rather it should be on the appliance.

The solution is very stable.

It's very, very easy to scale the solution. You do not need to make any upgrades. You just need to adjust the sizing to expand. You can expand at any time.

Technical support is very good, but sometimes they take a while to respond. This solution's very complex and still in the development process. Sometimes customers will ask for items that need to be developed or are not easy to develop. The solution is putting out a lot of updates, however, so they're constantly working to create a better product.

The initial setup was straight forward. The settings are not complex. However, sometimes some encryption settings have a complex configuration.

We are a distributor of the solution. We recommend users use professional services to assist us with the implementation.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend the solution.

I would rate the solution eight out of ten.

There's not a good market for this type of solution here in Egypt. It might be because here in Egypt there isn't a great need for this kind of solution yet. There are no compliance regulations from the government. However, the solution offers good features and I believe would be good for customers. There are so many areas where customers need encryption technology.

BilelRadaoui
Project Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Secures the network, defends it from attacks, and is easy to install

• "The Intercept X feature is the most valuable feature. You can't find this feature in other firewalls because Intercept X works as if it has an interaction between the endpoint and the firewall."
  • "Sophos SafeGuard is a German product. Sophos isn't really active in Europe. The Middle East, Africa, South Africa works with Sophos but their primary users aren't in Europe. They should market and push this solution to the European market."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for security and VPN connection.

The uses can vary per customer. For example, one customer wanted to protect their network, with VPN connectivity. Sophos has good features that customers know and like. It is also less expensive than other firewalls. Other customers, for example, wanted to publish their websites and their servers. They wanted to protect their servers and publish them on the internet. Another customer needs to have security because they were attacked by ransomware.

What is most valuable?

The Intercept X feature is the most valuable feature. You can't find this feature in other firewalls because Intercept X works as if it has an interaction between the endpoint and the firewall. It makes a connection between the endpoint protection and the firewall. If Intercept X finds some behavior that's not right, it separates it and it secures the network to defend it from this attack. This is a good feature and development that Sophos implemented around five years ago.

What needs improvement?

Sophos SafeGuard is a German product. Sophos isn't really active in Europe. The Middle East, Africa, South Africa works with Sophos but their primary users aren't in Europe. They should market and push this solution to the European market.

I have been using this solution for four years. It's been at my company for around eight years.

This product is stable but we have had some complaints from other customers. There is a loop on the internet. Once we deploy Sophos in our topology or in our infrastructure, the behavior or their action creates a loop on the internet. Otherwise, it's easy to install and offers good security.

It is very scalable. If you compare the price of Sophos to Fortinet or Cisco, it's as expensive.

I would rate their technical support eight out of ten. There's a bit of a delay in their response time to tickets.

The setup is very easy because you just need to make the arrangements for your interfaces and your network port. After that, you can make your policy and can publish the servers. You might need more technical support for the security and for the firewall. If you come from an advanced organization, it might be more difficult and not as easy at first.

The amount of time it will take will vary per customer. If they ask for network protection features it will take, for example, a maximum of one hour. But if your customer has a topology in his network and he needs to make certain policies and synchronization with Active Directory, that will take time. The deployment can take a few days. It depends on the customer.

The licensing costs depend on the series. For example, XG 85 can be around $200. If you go to ACC or to a four or five-year enterprise solution, you will find these devices can cost $10,000. It depends on the series.

What other advice do I have?

Working with this solution will depend on your budget. If you purchase Sophos your data and your network will be secured. It's not more expensive than similar products. I recommend going with Sophos.

I would rate Sophos a 7.5 out of ten because there are better firewalls out there.

Learn what your peers think about Sophos SafeGuard. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
542,029 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Darren Chaker
Operator at Halliburton
Offers a three-click policy setup.

What is most valuable?

• The software offers a three-click policy setup
  • There is no key management servers to install
  • The compliance and reporting features are simple
  • The option for self-service key recovery for the user or administrator is simplistic.

How has it helped my organization?

As part of security consulting, different projects and clients require different levels of security. For the last few years, I used Sophos high security routers. I have come to find the full disk encryption and enterprise management options in SafeGuard to rank very well.

What needs improvement?

I do not see very many downfalls, but I would recommend adding a few different encryption algorithms. For example, adding Triple DES, Blowfish, and Twofish, would only provide added value to the users. They could then decide how to secure the data they are using the product for.

We have been using this solution for three years.

No deployment problems were encountered in any respect. Even using it on an Android phone was seamless.

There were no stability issues.

From single, high net worth people to a 430 person law firm, I have yet to hear a concern with scalability.

Customer service is very good. There have been no issues.

The two times tech support was needed, we received great service.

We did not try other solutions

It was easy to setup.

We did the implementation in-house.

Compared to the potential loss if a breach occurred, the little higher investment is worth protecting data.

Pricing is a little more than similar products. However, the name and bullet proof security offered is superior once you get into the fine details of what the product offers.

We evaluated BitLocker and Symantec PGP.

What other advice do I have?

For high security routers, whole disk security, and enterprise management, Sophos is and will continue to remain a leader.

it_user8430
IT Administrator with 501-1,000 employees
Sophos SafeGuard: Custom Info Items for Absolute Manage
Whenever we implement new software, I try to include some tracking that can be used in Absolute Manage. Recently we’ve been working to get our Macs encrypted using Sophos SafeGuard full disk encryption. To make some reporting that is easy for our guys to use, I created two simple custom info items. The first custom info item is for tracking the current encryption status of the Mac. This will list three different states of the drive including Not Installed, Encrypting, and Encrypted. This status will update in Absolute Manage every time inventory is taken of the machine, or you can force it by gathering inventory. 1 #!/bin/sh 2 3 #Check to see if SafeGuard is installed 4 if [ -f "/usr/bin/sgadmin" ]; then 5 /usr/bin/sgadmin --status | grep -A 3 "Volume info" | grep…

1 #!/bin/sh
3 #Check to see if SafeGuard is installed
4 if [ -f "/usr/bin/sgadmin" ]; then
5 /usr/bin/sgadmin --status | grep -A 3 "Volume info" | grep "| 0" | awk -F '|' '{print $5}'
6 else
7 echo "Not installed"
8 fi
9 exit 0

The second custom info item will show the last time the computer checked into the Enterprise console with it’s encryption status. We do our own tracking of the Macs using this field in Absolute Manage, but management does it’s tracking of both PCs and Macs in a separate central console.

1 #!/bin/sh
3 #Check to see if SafeGuard is installed
4 if [ -f "/usr/bin/sgadmin" ]; then
5 /usr/bin/sgadmin --status | grep "Last contact" | awk '{print $4, $5, $6, $7, $8}'
6 else