Sophos UTM Overview

Sophos UTM is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Unified Threat Management (UTM) tools. It is most often compared to pfSense: Sophos UTM vs pfSense

What is Sophos UTM?
The global network of highly skilled researchers and analysts, protecting businesses from known and emerging malware - viruses, rootkits and spyware.

Sophos UTM is also known as Astaro.

Sophos UTM Buyer's Guide

Download the Sophos UTM Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021

Sophos UTM Customers
One Housing Group
Sophos UTM Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Sophos UTM pricing:
  • "We pay for the service on a yearly basis. The last time we paid was in June, for a year. At the time, it was about $20,000."
  • "This solution is less expensive than FortiGate."

Sophos UTM Reviews

ZaherEL Bsat
Pre-Sales Manager | Infrastructure and Security at National Information Technology Company
Apr 8, 2019
Has a solid state hard drive and can boot in less than sixty seconds

What is our primary use case?

We are partners with Palo Alto and several IT certificate vendors, like Sophos. We deploy Sophos UTM for customers. Internally we use Sophos, but we deploy solutions including both Sophos and Palo Alto Networks to our customers. We are an IT integration company. Our services include the deployment of security appliances. Our environment includes Sophos UTM for internal use, which means it is protecting the network. It is protecting our environment. We publish our services like the help desk, mail server, and other servers. Sophos UTM offers us protection for publishing and the VPN.

• "Sophos UTM has improved the porting section. It has improved security by seeing the gaps. For example, when you discover that an entry has been using a certain application, with Sophos UTM acting as a Layer 7 firewall, you can block the application, not the port."
  • "With Sophos UTM, there is a general rule in the firewall when the country blocking can block some countries from accessing your data. In the current version, you still need to add it by putting in the IP range. This feature would be helpful for administrators and it gives them the advantage to block stuff in less time."

What other advice do I have?

My recommendation is that businesses should go for the XG version, not the SG because the XG version of Sophos offers next-generation firewall support and has more improvements. Sophos XG is the next generation firewall that is not available on the UTM version. The difference is in the features between the two and how you deploy them. Sophos XG version covers what is in the SG version plus additional bonuses: the dashboard, the heartbeat between the firewall and the input, etc. I advise first evaluate, know your network, know your needs, and plan for the upcoming two or three years before you…
reviewer1452492
President at a tech vendor with 1-10 employees
Reseller
Dec 20, 2020
Very good basic firewall functions with advanced firewall scanning

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution ourselves and we also deploy to our clients. It is a capable, general-purpose firewall with VPN tunneling built in, and a lot of web features if you're hosting a website. We are resellers of Sophos and I'm a partner in our company.

• "Good basic firewall functions with advanced firewall scanning."
  • "Updates come out agonizingly slowly, a trickle."

What other advice do I have?

The solution has email firewall built in with all sorts of functionality, it is an absolutely excellent firewall, the logging is really good, you get great information about what's going on. It does things like GeoIP tracking and you can make decisions based on where people are coming from. It's just really a complete firewall. I would say if you're just starting right now, get the XG. Not that the UPM isn't outstanding, but it's disappearing. You might as well learn the XG. The product still works really well, although it's getting a bit long in the tooth. The sooner that they come out with…
Learn what your peers think about Sophos UTM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
456,812 professionals have used our research since 2012.
reviewer1143483
Director de Tecnologías with 501-1,000 employees
Dec 11, 2020
Easy to manage with good content filtering and an easy initial setup

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for perimeter security in order to protect content. We also use it for the XG firewall.

• "The initial setup is pretty easy."
  • "There needs to be some improvement in the IPsec VPN. There is implementation only support. I have version one. I'd be most interested in having IP version two from the protocol."

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers. We don't have a business relationship with Sophos. I can't remember the exact version of the solution I am currently using, however, I believe it to be around version 9. It's a good product, and I would recommend it, however, I would advise other potential users to instead maybe consider Sophos XG. Overall, I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten.
Md. Dipu Khan
CEO at NG
Apr 16, 2019
Offers secure and Scalable Firewall Security

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for communication endpoint, encryption, and network security. We are focused on providing security software to the small to mid-market enterprises; the essence of our delivery is internet security.

• "The features that I've known to be most valuable are both the web security features as well as the web firewall capabilities. As a partner of Sophos firewall, we have some clients and they are using Sophos firewall UTM and we are using it as well."
  • "The only time we face a problem or issues is when we place a ticket. We have found that response is very slow."

What other advice do I have?

Sophos UTM is a good product for security purposes and maybe if Sophos provided another company option to implement their products then I would say that Sophos UTM is great. On a scale of one to ten with 10 being the best, I would give this solution a nine out of 10.
Javier Medina
Project Manager regional at Grupo Vision
Dec 1, 2020
Has good quality and functionality

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use cases include: * Remote SSL connection * Web-filtering * Web server protection * WAF application. * Firewall rules

• "The most valuable feature is the price. I've been requesting prices all over these years between different solutions like Fortinet, Palo Alto, and Check Point and Sophos has been the cheapest and the best of all of them that I have tried. I have been working with Fortinet, it's a fact that the price is surprisingly better."
  • "Sophos should improve its ability to check something like bandwidth consumption for users or something more real-time."

What other advice do I have?

It's a good solution, I would say to go for it. I would rate Sophos UTM a nine out of ten.
Ibrahim El Sayed
Network & Hardware Administrator at Nile Projects & Trading Co.
Aug 5, 2019
Creates secure IPsec and SSL VPN high availability connections between head office and branches

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for IPsec & site-to-site SSL VPN. My environment involves connecting all of our branches with the head office through one Sophos XG 210 device. This is done using IPsec and SSL VPN, after which we apply a web filter, as well as an application filter to ensure that we are getting a secure connection.

• "It allows me to easily connect with more than forty-five remote sites and more than fifty remote users between IPsec and SSL VPN, applying the web filter and application filter to ensure a secure connection."
  • "I would like to see the SD-WAN feature improved."
Bjoern Koeckert
System Administrator Server and Networks at a manufacturing company with 201-500 employees
Nov 5, 2020
Provides all of the network security you need in a single modular appliance

What is our primary use case?

We mainly use it for web filtration — we have a number of small websites. It's also a VPN — that's filtering, firewalling, and IPS. Within our organization, there are roughly 250 people using Sophos UTM. Also, we have around 15 XG users. We plan on using XG for the next few years, but we are going to stop using UTM on our main site.

What needs improvement?

I think the behavior with the zones was a little bit tricky to understand at the beginning of this project. It can be hard to manage at first, but overall, we don't have many problems with this solution.

I have been using this solution for one and a half years.

It's stable, but the reaction time of the…
Bob Obrinsky
Owner at Robert Obrinsky Industries, LLC
Reseller
May 31, 2019
A powerful and flexible user interface makes remote client support easy

What is our primary use case?

I use this solution in both the home and office, and I am also a reseller of the product. It is used for Unified Threat Management for SMB to Mid-Size companies. It provides VPN solutions for our clients, and it has the absolute best UI in the industry.

• "Configuration troubleshooting is eased by the use of the color-coded, live firewall log."
  • "Support for IKEv2 is needed in this solution."
See 7 more Sophos UTM Reviews