Sophos UTM Overview

Sophos UTM is the #3 ranked solution in our list of top Unified Threat Management (UTM) tools. It is most often compared to Fortinet FortiGate: Sophos UTM vs Fortinet FortiGate

What is Sophos UTM?
The global network of highly skilled researchers and analysts, protecting businesses from known and emerging malware - viruses, rootkits and spyware.

Sophos UTM is also known as Astaro.

Sophos UTM Buyer's Guide

Download the Sophos UTM Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

Sophos UTM Customers
One Housing Group
Sophos UTM Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Sophos UTM pricing:
  • "This product is free for home users. The more expensive products have better performance."
  • "We pay for the service on a yearly basis. The last time we paid was in June, for a year. At the time, it was about $20,000."
  • "This solution is less expensive than FortiGate."

DB
Network Administrator at a manufacturing company with 51-200 employees
Great web and email filtering with reasonable pricing

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for a number of use cases, including the firewall, web filtering, email filtering, and email encryption. UTM does it all. The only thing that we don't use it for is web application and protection. We don't really have any web servers in-house.

• "We've found the technical support to be helpful."
  • "The ease of use could be a bit better."

What other advice do I have?

We are a manufacturing company. We're not a technology company. We don't need to have the very latest state-of-the-art technology, however, we want to try to be close to it. For us, Sophos is perfect. We also plan to use Sophos XG, however, we haven't implemented it yet. We're hoping it might be easier to configure and set up than UTM. Our antivirus, actually, was the antivirus that was managed by the UTM. Now they've since retired that capability, and they've gone to endpoint security software being managed in the cloud. Sophos Central can manage all of the Sophos security products, including…
MM
Senior Network Engineer at a computer software company with 11-50 employees
Simple to set up, comprehensive, free for home users, and there is lots of support available online

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and I am the architect of solutions that employ Sophos UTM.

• "Sophos UTM is the simplest of these products to setup."
  • "The logs are not clear, which means that you need an additional piece of software in order to read them clearly."

What other advice do I have?

Sophos UTM is a comprehensive product that does the job that it should. They have another product now, called the XG firewall, that covers everything that UTM does not. The best part about this is that you can run the XG firewall on the same hardware where UTM is installed. This means that if you're thinking that Sophos UTM is not good for you, you can always migrate to the XG firewall. That said, I have never had a problem setting up UTM and can't think of a problem that I couldn't solve with it. Overall, UTM is good, but if you want something better that can handle more complex rules then…
Learn what your peers think about Sophos UTM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
510,204 professionals have used our research since 2012.
EA
President at a tech vendor with 1-10 employees
Reseller
Very good basic firewall functions with advanced firewall scanning

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution ourselves and we also deploy to our clients. It is a capable, general-purpose firewall with VPN tunneling built in, and a lot of web features if you're hosting a website. We are resellers of Sophos and I'm a partner in our company.

• "Good basic firewall functions with advanced firewall scanning."
  • "Updates come out agonizingly slowly, a trickle."

What other advice do I have?

The solution has email firewall built in with all sorts of functionality, it is an absolutely excellent firewall, the logging is really good, you get great information about what's going on. It does things like GeoIP tracking and you can make decisions based on where people are coming from. It's just really a complete firewall. I would say if you're just starting right now, get the XG. Not that the UPM isn't outstanding, but it's disappearing. You might as well learn the XG. The product still works really well, although it's getting a bit long in the tooth. The sooner that they come out with…
AR
Director de Tecnologías with 501-1,000 employees
Easy to manage with good content filtering and an easy initial setup

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for perimeter security in order to protect content. We also use it for the XG firewall.

• "The initial setup is pretty easy."
  • "There needs to be some improvement in the IPsec VPN. There is implementation only support. I have version one. I'd be most interested in having IP version two from the protocol."

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers. We don't have a business relationship with Sophos. I can't remember the exact version of the solution I am currently using, however, I believe it to be around version 9. It's a good product, and I would recommend it, however, I would advise other potential users to instead maybe consider Sophos XG. Overall, I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten.
IT Manager at Cartlis
Stable with an easy initial implementation and a very nice user interface

• "The stability, overall, is excellent. I haven't had a problem in the last two years."
  • "It would be nice if it had basic features, such as DLP (Data Loss Prevention)."

What other advice do I have?

I am a Sophos customer. I'm using UTM for home use only. It's only four 50 IPS. I'd rate the solution at a ten out of ten. Overall, it's worked really really well. Everything from the updates to the signatures has been very helpful for our business. I would recommend this product to other users and other organizations.
Project Manager regional at Grupo Vision
Has good quality and functionality

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use cases include: * Remote SSL connection * Web-filtering * Web server protection * WAF application. * Firewall rules

• "The most valuable feature is the price. I've been requesting prices all over these years between different solutions like Fortinet, Palo Alto, and Check Point and Sophos has been the cheapest and the best of all of them that I have tried. I have been working with Fortinet, it's a fact that the price is surprisingly better."
  • "Sophos should improve its ability to check something like bandwidth consumption for users or something more real-time."

What other advice do I have?

It's a good solution, I would say to go for it. I would rate Sophos UTM a nine out of ten.
Network & Hardware Administrator at Nile Projects & Trading Co.
Creates secure IPsec and SSL VPN high availability connections between head office and branches

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for IPsec & site-to-site SSL VPN. My environment involves connecting all of our branches with the head office through one Sophos XG 210 device. This is done using IPsec and SSL VPN, after which we apply a web filter, as well as an application filter to ensure that we are getting a secure connection.

• "It allows me to easily connect with more than forty-five remote sites and more than fifty remote users between IPsec and SSL VPN, applying the web filter and application filter to ensure a secure connection."
  • "I would like to see the SD-WAN feature improved."
BK
System Administrator Server and Networks at a manufacturing company with 201-500 employees
Provides all of the network security you need in a single modular appliance

What is our primary use case?

We mainly use it for web filtration — we have a number of small websites. It's also a VPN — that's filtering, firewalling, and IPS. Within our organization, there are roughly 250 people using Sophos UTM. Also, we have around 15 XG users. We plan on using XG for the next few years, but we are going to stop using UTM on our main site.

What needs improvement?

I think the behavior with the zones was a little bit tricky to understand at the beginning of this project. It can be hard to manage at first, but overall, we don't have many problems with this solution.

I have been using this solution for one and a half years.

It's stable, but the reaction time of the…
See 8 more Sophos UTM Reviews