Nikoloz Kratsashvili
IT Manager at Cartlis
Stable with an easy initial implementation and a very nice user interface

• "The stability, overall, is excellent. I haven't had a problem in the last two years."
  • "It would be nice if it had basic features, such as DLP (Data Loss Prevention)."

What is most valuable?

The solution's user interface is very user-friendly. It's very easy to navigate.

They have an all-in-one product for small businesses. Basically, I do not want to manage the firewall for four products. I'll take it all in one. It makes everything easier to manage.

It's really good and it's been working really well over the last few years.

The initial setup has been very simple and straightforward.

What needs improvement?

It is a fine product, however, I need more endpoint protection.

They should release a license for more than 50 IPs. As of now I have had some discussion about with management, and we need to do some planning and around that to see if we can change things.

The pricing is too high. There are other options that are less expensive, such as Bitdefender. In fact, Bitdefender is very good, aside from lacking a firewall such as this. Beyond that, it's a very good product with central management on-premises.

It would be nice if it had basic features, such as DLP (Data Loss Prevention).

I've only been using the solution for about two years or so at this point.

The stability has been excellent. It doesn't crash or freeze. There are no bugs or glitches. It's very good and very reliable.

This solution is perfect for small businesses.

I don't have too much experience with technical support. I only recall one case where I had to contact them directly. I recall them being very helpful and responsive. I had a good experience and was satisfied with their level of service.

The solution is being discontinued. Hopefully, whatever they replace it with will be very good for small businesses as well.

The initial setup was not complex. It was very simple and very straightforward. It was not difficult at all. A company shouldn't have any trouble with the process. Specifically, if you have experience in IT, you will find it very easy to deploy these products.

What other advice do I have?

I am a Sophos customer.

I'm using UTM for home use only. It's only four 50 IPS.

I'd rate the solution at a ten out of ten. Overall, it's worked really really well. Everything from the updates to the signatures has been very helpful for our business.

I would recommend this product to other users and other organizations.

Javier Medina
Project Manager regional at Grupo Vision
Has good quality and functionality

• "The most valuable feature is the price. I've been requesting prices all over these years between different solutions like Fortinet, Palo Alto, and Check Point and Sophos has been the cheapest and the best of all of them that I have tried. I have been working with Fortinet, it's a fact that the price is surprisingly better."
  • "Sophos should improve its ability to check something like bandwidth consumption for users or something more real-time."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use cases include:

• Remote SSL connection
  • Web-filtering
  • Web server protection
  • WAF application.
  • Firewall rules

How has it helped my organization?

We have securely deploy systems accesible only behind encrypted ssl vpn and all user can access without the risk of data exposure.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the price. I've been requesting prices all over these years between different solutions like Fortinet, Palo Alto, and Check Point and Sophos has been the cheapest and the best of all of them that I have tried. I have been working with Fortinet, it's a fact that the sophos price is surprisingly better.

I have also worked with Check Point and it's not far enough from what Sophos can do. In terms of quality and functionality, Sophos is very useful and better than the competition.

What needs improvement?

Sophos should improve its ability to check something like bandwidth consumption for users or something more real-time.

real time trafic graph most show specific info from user, ip and bandwith, in my personal opinion i have seen better traffic graphs in open source firewalls.

I have been using Sophos UTM for six years.

It's very stable. In all the time I have been using it, I haven't seen it fail or gets stuck.

Scalability is not a complex issue and is something you can do within 20 minutes. I've been managing three UTMs, one with 50 users, another one with around 150, and the biggest one has 3,000 users.

i used PFSense, the capabilities of UTM sophos y very much higher and powerfull.

The initial setup was straightforward. It depends on the rules, but a basic setup can take up to seven to 15 minutes max.

Based on cost compare with other vendor who bill per license and OTP users, the ROI have been set as far as 6 moths.

SOphos is the best alternative in features, specifications and lower price.

yes i did, Fortinet, Checkpoint, Palo Alto, Meraki.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good solution, I would say to go for it.

I would rate Sophos UTM a nine out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Sophos UTM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
541,708 professionals have used our research since 2012.
HM
Chief Information Security Officer and Founder at a insurance company with 201-500 employees
Stable with great technical support and an easy initial setup process

• "Technical support is very responsive."
  • "The integration capabilities could be better."

What is our primary use case?

We implemented the solution into our infrastructure here in the insurance company, to protect the flow between the company and its partner.

What is most valuable?

The solution is quite stable.

The scalability has been great.

The initial setup is straightforward.

Technical support is very responsive.

What needs improvement?

The integration capabilities could be better.

I originally implemented the solution when it was Cyberoam. After that, we migrated to Sophos UTM. I've used the solution since 2011.

The solution is stable and reliable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

The scalability is great. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so. It's not a problem.

We currently have 800 people using the solution.

We do pay for Sophos' support and we find them to be quite helpful and responsive. We're satisfied with the level of assistance we receive.

We have used other solutions. We have various levels of firewalls.

The implementation process is straightforward. It's not overly difficult. A company shouldn't have any issues with the process.

It's a good idea if you are migrating from another solution, to do a review of security policy. That way, you can better optimize for security when you set everything up.

We have a team of six that can handle implementation and maintenance duties. We have two managers. One covers organizational security and the other cover operational security.

We do pay extra for Sophos support services.

The license is easy to acquire and implement.

I'm currently performing a benchmarking of the other solutions against Sophos.

What other advice do I have?

We're a custoer and an end-user.

When Cyberoam was acquired by Sophos, we migrated to the new hardware and new solution in Sophos.

We've been very happy with its capabilities. We would rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

I'd recommend, if a company sincerely wants to try out Sophos, that they test everything before implementation. It will help them understand what the solution can do and how to implement it into their infrastructure.

BK
System Administrator Server and Networks at a manufacturing company with 201-500 employees
Provides all of the network security you need in a single modular appliance

What is our primary use case?

We mainly use it for web filtration — we have a number of small websites. It's also a VPN — that's filtering, firewalling, and IPS. Within our organization, there are roughly 250 people using Sophos UTM. Also, we have around 15 XG users. We plan on using XG for the next few years, but we are going to stop using UTM on our main site.

What needs improvement?

I think the behavior with the zones was a little bit tricky to understand at the beginning of this project. It can be hard to manage at first, but overall, we don't have many problems with this solution.

I have been using this solution for one and a half years.

It's stable, but the reaction time of the…

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for one and a half years.

It's stable, but the reaction time of the GUI is terrible; however, in my opinion, UTM is more stable than XG.

Sometimes, It can be quite a time-consuming process to book a session with Sophos' support.

The initial setup was not straightforward because we had experience with UTM, but not with XG. It's a completely different system.

We had it up and running within one week.

We installed it on our own.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend UTM over XG because it's easier to manage.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give XG a rating of 6. Conversely, I would give UTM a rating of nine.

GC
Science Technician at a government with 201-500 employees
Simple to use, good technical support, but not scalable

What is our primary use case?

The primary use of the solution is to create a firewall, web filters, and load balance. We also use it as an IPS.

What is most valuable?

What I like about the solution is the ease of use.

What needs improvement?

In the next release, the solution should contain an administration security user to access the interface.

I have used the solution for one year.

The solution is stable.

The solution is not scalable. In my organization, we have approximately 500 employees using it.

The technical support of the solution is good.

How was the initial

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

What I like about the solution is the ease of use.

What needs improvement?

I have used the solution for one year.

The solution is stable.

The technical support of the solution is good.

The installation of the solution is easy. It can be finalized in approximately five hours.

The deployment of the solution was completed by a consultant. We have three technicians and two administrators that oversee the solution.

It is necessary to pay for a licence to use the solution, but it is not very expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I will continue to use and recommend the solution.

I rate Sophos UTM a seven out of ten.

JK
Technical Manager at Digital World
Easy to install, scalable, and stable

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution as a firewall, for DCP filtering, applications, and training.

What needs improvement?

We need to speed up the support.

We have been using this solution for three years.

It's a stable solution.

It is a scalable solution but the only disadvantage is that when we use a proxy, we can bypass Sophos. We have 50 customers. The maximum number of users in one device is approximately 4,000. It's a large network.

The support is okay, but it takes time to connect to the support team.

It is easy to install.…

What is our primary use case?

What needs improvement?

We need to speed up the support.

We have been using this solution for three years.

It's a stable solution.

The support is okay, but it takes time to connect to the support team.

It is easy to install.

We only require one engineer to deploy and maintain this solution.

The appliance should be purchased and there is a fee for the license.

There is an option for a yearly licensing fee or for three years.

What other advice do I have?

We recommend this solution. We complete between 20 and 30 installations per month.

I would rate Sophos UTM a nine out of ten.

Mohammad Mojtaba Sohrabi
Manager at newoutlook.it
A great network security package with everything you need in a single modular appliance

• "Sophos is a unified solution. We have anti-virus protection, firewall rules, knotting, and DACC all in one box."

What is most valuable?

Sophos is a unified solution. We have anti-virus protection, firewall rules, knotting, and DACC all in one box. With Fortinet, everything is separate with multiple devices and solutions.

What needs improvement?

We are very happy with Sophos. I can't think of any pressing issues that need to be addressed.

We have been using this solution for roughly five to six years.

Both the stability and scalability are great.

We don't need to contact their technical support. We have our own skilled team of IT experts.

The initial setup is very simple.

I think the pricing of Sophos is very fair.

What other advice do I have?

Sophos is good for small and mid-sized organizations. Big companies need solutions with layered security.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give Sophos a rating of eight.

Mahmoud Sayed
    Senior IT Specialist at Shabana Group
    Stable with good technical support, but the web filtering should be improved

What is our primary use case?

We use Sophos UTM to protect our infrastructure.

What needs improvement?

There are things missing when it comes to policies. The web filtering capability should be improved. Anti-phishing functionality should be improved.

We have been using Sophos Unified Threat Management (UTM) for two years.

This is a very stable product.

Scaling this solution works fine.

The initial setup is complex.

Our licensing fees are paid on a monthly basis.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this product is very good…

What is our primary use case?

We use Sophos UTM to protect our infrastructure.

What needs improvement?

There are things missing when it comes to policies.

The web filtering capability should be improved.

Anti-phishing functionality should be improved.

We have been using Sophos Unified Threat Management (UTM) for two years.

This is a very stable product.

Scaling this solution works fine.

The initial setup is complex.

Our licensing fees are paid on a monthly basis.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this product is very good and I recommend it for other users.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.