Gonzalo Moreno
User at supernovatel
A firewall solution with a valuable VPN feature

• "Because of the pandemic, the VPN is the most valuable feature."
  • "I used to work with Fortinet, and sometimes I see that the SD-WAN feature could be better because it's much easier in Fortinet."

What is our primary use case?

We use Sophos XG for a central firewall, with some branches making a VPN, but that's the normal deployment. Some clients use it as a proxy, but most of my clients use it as a gateway. We use Sophos to configure policies, work filters, application filters, and the SSL VPN and IPSec VPNs.

What is most valuable?

Because of the pandemic, the VPN is the most valuable feature. In Bolivia, the clients normally asked for an appliance with a web protection license or network protection and web protection license. These are the most common features demanded by our customers.

Some clients are also using the wireless solution and using XG firewall as a wireless controller. For those clients, this feature is a very important.

What needs improvement?

I used to work with Fortinet, and sometimes I see that the SD-WAN feature could be better because it's much easier in Fortinet. That area could be improved in Sophos XG as it's too complicated right now.

For example, I remember a case where the routers had to be configured by commands. It's not hard, but you have to read and investigate how to do that. The XG firewall works fine, but you have to read, and it takes some time to do it.

Sophos XG could also improve the floating area. I have more features in Fortinet, more visibility of the networking table, and the networking area. But in Sophos, you have to enter the CLA and display it. It'll also help if they offered more toll booths for VPN like Fortinet.

I've been working with Sophos XG for around five years.

I have no issues with the stability. No reboots are needed, and there hasn't been a problem with that.

The new enterprise models are scalable, and we don't have problems. I think it's fine.

I like their technical support. With Cyberoam, I remember the technical support used to work closely with us. They used to configure some features for us and help us resolve problems, but not just by email. They used to work with us and show us how to do it. I think that was nice, but in Sophos, they give us instructions and help us, but by email.

The initial setup and configuration was very easy for us. I think it's easier than the other options in the marketplace. The deployment time is relative. For example, if you're deploying for a client who has another firewall and have to integrate it, it'll take around two or three days. But if it's a new environment, you can deploy the firewall within two hours.

Normally, my clients look at Fortinet. Both have similar features, and sometimes Sophos is more expensive, or FortiGate is more expensive. It depends. But normally, I have clients that migrate from Fortinet to Sophos. They are used to working with FortiGate without a problem, but the main difference in our case is the support. Because as a company, SUPERNOVATEL, has more experience with Sophos to help our clients immediately. That makes the difference.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Sophos XG a nine.

Alex Clerici
System Integrator IT Manager at Tecnimex srl
Very good at web and application filtering with a great GUI

• "The stability has been excellent."
  • "Technical support could be improved. They aren't as responsive as they could be."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a comprehensive security device.

What is most valuable?

The VPN capabilities are quite good.

The solution is very good at web and application filtering.

It's quite a comprehensive security solution.

The performance the solution offers is excellent. Compared to the older solution, and especially on the cloud, it can reach very good performance. It depends on the licenses, of course.

The graphical user interface is excellent.

The intrusion protection module is very useful.

You can easily connect the solution to cloud management.

The stability has been excellent.

What needs improvement?

It would be ideal if we could have a more populated and detailed knowledge base. Generally, the new features must be tested before applying them to the production side. I would like to see more case studies, more application notes, and so on.

We would like to see an improvement in mail management. When passing from FG Series to XG Series, some mail features have been lost. We would like to regain them.

We've used the solution for many years - before it was even Sophos. Sophos, some years ago, was Astaro AG. Sophos acquired Astaro AG. We have at least ten years of experience with the solution.

We've found the stability to be very good. It doesn't crash or freeze. There are no glitches. The performance and reliability are excellent.

Occasionally, we do have to do a debug, however, that's typical of all firewall solutions.

The scalability of the solution is very good overall. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so.

We have about 200 people using the solution.

The reaction times of technical support are slow. They should be more responsive. We're not completely satisfied with the way they handle it.

In the past, I've had some experience with SonicWall, Fortinet, and with a Linux solution. However, compared to other solutions, we prefer Sophos.

It's better to be certified to install in a good manner. You need to understand what you are doing. Sophos offers the chance to certify at different levels. There are commercial levels and technical levels.

The time it takes to deploy depends on the complexity of the setup and environment. It can take a few hours or a few days. It can even take a week if the architecture is very advanced.

Generally, you need to be an engineer to handle maintenance. We have three people at our office that can handle implementation and setup as well as maintenance.

You need a license to use the solution. We offer the license as a box license, or we can offer a license like an MSP, as a service provider. We often acquire the licenses and we give them to our customers as an MSP.

What other advice do I have?

We are an authorized partner for Sophos.

We're using the latest version of the solution.

I'd recommend the solution, especially over, for example, Cisco.

I'd rate the solution ten out often. It's really worked well for us.

Learn what your peers think about Sophos XG. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
541,708 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MS
Information Technology Security Officer at a government with 201-500 employees
Quick to install and configure with proactive support, but updates often cause problems

• "Definitely, its usability is very good, and it's a very robust firewall."
  • "I think that the main area for improvement is the quality assurance of the updates."

What is our primary use case?

This product serves as our current firewall solution, which is a network protection gateway.

What is most valuable?

This is a very simple solution.

It integrates well with Sophos Endpoint Protection, and we use the two of them to form a holistic security perimeter control.

What needs improvement?

Software updates always come with issues. For example, I just upgraded to the next version, 80.5, and it came with VPN issues. It started dropping my VPN users. So, I had to roll back to before the software update. I think that the main area for improvement is the quality assurance of the updates.

The management console is a little bit rigid.

Scalability can be improved.

I think that it performs a little bit slow when it comes to connectivity, and having the speed increased would be better.

We have been using Sophos XG for the past four years.

This is a very stable platform. In the four years that we have had it, it's never gone down.

It is not a very scalable product. I would rate the scalability a seven out of ten because where you order it, it comes with prefixed ports. You will only have perhaps two for the WAN, and then maybe four LAN ports, and one console. In this regard, it's not scalable.

When you buy it, you can't change the port configuration. In order to get more ports, you may have to upgrade to a bigger firewall.

We have about 130 accounts for approximately 80 employees.

Technical support for Sophos is very good and they have a big presence in South Africa. It uses something called Sophos Central, where support can fix the problem before you, as the user, actually finds it.

It is a very simple and very quick initial setup and configuration. Because it is a next-generation firewall, it does most of the rule development in the background. You just need to set up the basics and start it up.

For what you are buying, it's good value for the money.

Sophos is very good when it comes to pricing. A firewall has a lot of things to look for when you're buying it, including throughput and its features. When we purchased this product, Sophos was the best on the market.

In addition to Sophos, we looked at FortiGate, SonicWall, and Cisco. We were looking for a next-generation firewall, and Cisco was out of range because it was too expensive. We settled on Sophos because we already had the endpoint solution in our environment, and the price was very good as well.

What other advice do I have?

Sophos XG is a firewall that I recommend because it's a very simple firewall. It's not complicated, and a LAN expert can just start using it and learn very quickly. Definitely, its usability is very good, and it's a very robust firewall.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

AK
RSI at a logistics company with 201-500 employees
Easy to deploy and simple to use but the pricing could be lower

• "The solution seems to be very easy to use."
  • "It would be helpful if the solution offered some tutorial videos to help new users learn the system quickly."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for security and protection.

What is most valuable?

The solution seems to be very easy to use.

The administration is pretty simple.

The solution is easy to deploy.

We've found the solution to be quite stable.

My understanding is that the solution is scalable.

What needs improvement?

Cyberoam was extremely hard to develop. If this solution makes that process easier, we will be happy.

The solution should be lowered. It would help entice more clients. We'd like to pay a lower price.

We're concerned about the safety of our devices. We are worried if someone manages to hack the firewall, that they will be able to get past other protections and perhaps onto devices. We'd like Sophos to remain vigilant in its protective capabilities and to continuously update its solution to expand its security offering in order to better protect its customers.

There should be some trial on offer that allows users to try out the solution and learn it before implementing it.

I've only been working with the solution for about one month or so. It hasn't been that long just yet.

The solution has been very stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable in terms of the performance it offers.

The solution is scalable. If a company needs to expand it, it shouldn't have any issues doing so.

We have about 200 people using it in our company.

I have not used technical support just yet. If some issue comes through in the future, I will reach out. However, as of now, I can't speak to their level of responsiveness or their knowledgeability.

I used to use Cyberoam. However, this particular solution was acquired by Sophos, and therefore, now the company I work for uses Sophos. It's pretty much the same product.

The product is pretty easy to deploy. We use a gateway from our partner, and not with Sophos.

The solution is a bit costly. It would be ideal if it was less expensive for its user base.

We pay a yearly licensing fee. We do not pay monthly.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a customer and an end-users. I do not have a business relationship with Sophos.

I'm not sure which version of the solution we're using. It might be version 65 or something like that.

We do not use the cloud version. It's for device management, and therefore it's on-premises.

Currently, I would rate the solution at a seven out of ten. I haven't used it for very long, and can't fully evaluate it; I must learn more about the offering and what it can do first.

NS
Sr Information technology consultant at onkar international pvt ltd
Scalable, simple the set up and easy to understand

• "The product offers many great features."
  • "When upgrading the firewalls, the process could be easier."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is mostly used for setting up a firewall and policies.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very easy to understand.

It's simple to set up the firewall and policies. Setting rules is very easy on Sophos as compared to other solutions.

The product offers many great features.

Technical support is very good.

The initial setup is easy.

We have found the solution to be very stable.

A company can easily scale the product if they need to.

What needs improvement?

When upgrading the firewalls, the process could be easier.

While we do have network control, we don't have network monitoring. If I have 200 nodes and I want to see what's happening, I don't have visibility, especially if people are working remotely.

If we could control roaming users through the firewalls and make it so that it's more of a  complete security solution, which we prefer, that would be ideal. If we have to install some clients on these machines, that's fine. The only concern is the DLP. We want to protect our data from being stolen. We'd also like to monitor activities from the perspective of productivity. We want to be able to track and calculate what users are doing on their machines.

I've been using the solution for more than ten years.

Earlier, Sophos was known as Cyberoam, Before that, I use Cyberoam and now this has turned into Sophos.

The stability is very good. It does not crash or freeze. There are no bugs or glitches. the solution is reliable.

The level of scalability depends on the box. We do have the option to scale if we need to.

I have found the technical support to be very helpful and responsive. I am pleased with the level of support I can get. They always provide proper solutions to all issues, whatever we face.

It is not difficult to set up the solution. One ISP, internet service provider, is required, and that is sufficient. If you do have a landline, some switches are available, and we can add to that a firewall. That is secondary. However, the initial requirement is nothing. It is just a plug-and-play setup that is very straightforward.

We had a vendor assist us with the installation.

There's no additional cost for installation. The provider from which we purchased, the vendor, himself arranged all installation and configuration. They helped us. However, even through customer care, a company can ask for assistance.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not providing any services. I'm using the product as a customer only. The company, one day, would like to become a partner, however.

I would recommend the solution to other companies.

I would rate the solution at a seven out of ten, specifically if I compare it to other options on the market. It's pretty good.

JC
CIO at a aerospace/defense firm with 11-50 employees
Easy to use, easy to install, and easy to monitor

• "It is very easy to use. You can configure and monitor everything from one unique dashboard."
  • "Its price should be improved. It should be cheaper."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for the protection of our network. We also have a product from Sophos for ransomware protection using which we are able to protect our network from ransomware. All of our solutions are from Sophos, and we have everything integrated.

What is most valuable?

We can define which systems can be accessed from outside of our company. We can define the connection rules for inside and outside of the company. It is easy to implement or modify rules.

It is very easy to use. You can configure and monitor everything from one unique dashboard. It is also easy to install.

What needs improvement?

Its price should be improved. It should be cheaper.

In terms of features, I am happy, and I don't need more features. The firewall is perfect, but the antivirus could be better. It would be useful if the antivirus was less heavy and had better performance.

I have been using this solution for two years.

It is stable. We receive the updates online. They provide the updates at a good frequency.

It is scalable to a limit. If the size of the network grows, you will have to buy new equipment. If you need just a few more connections, you will able to work with the existing system.

Currently, we have 16 users who are using it. We don't have any plans to increase its usage because our company is in liquidation. If the government decides, we can have more projects, but, as of now, we are in liquidation. We are keeping things working for now, and we plan to keep using this solution, but there are no investments.

We have support from the supplier of our firewall, and if needed, we also get support from the people who develop our software.

It is easy to install. Our company is at three locations. It takes two days to install it at all locations. It takes one day for one location and another day for the other two locations.

For the first installation, we took the help of the supplier. Since then, we do it ourselves. We don't have teams attached directly to the system. We have two or three IT guys who work with this system, but we can have support from the maintenance team.

Currently, we have a contract for three years. It would be good if its price is reduced before we renew the contract. We will buy the equipment if it is cheaper.

What other advice do I have?

I'm happy with what I am getting. I haven't faced any problems. Everything is integrated, and it is easy to install and easy to control.

I would rate Sophos XG a nine out of ten. I am very satisfied with this solution.

Michael Hlavaty-LaPosa
Owner/President at TeamLogic IT of Oklahoma City
MSP
Easy to manage, performs well, and the pricing is good

• "The cloud-based interface makes it easy to manage."
  • "The weakest point is the technical support because they are difficult to get into contact with."

What is our primary use case?

We are a managed service provider and the primary firewall that we sell and maintain is Sophos XG. It is also used in the company.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it is a next-generation firewall.

The fact that it is integrated between endpoints and the firewall, and then the firewall and a central Sophos operation center, is very good.

The cloud-based interface makes it easy to manage.

The integration with the Intercept X approach means that Sophos XG can do things that none of the others are doing.

What needs improvement?

The main area that needs improvement is the documentation.

Sophos needs to be a little better at communicating with partners about changes, issues, patches, and so forth.

We have been using the Sophos XG series for three years.

This solution has been very stable and it's a good product, otherwise, I wouldn't be using it.

The technical support team is knowledgeable and they are good, although it is very hard to get a hold of them. You sometimes have to wait in queue for over an hour to speak with somebody. To me, that is the most frustrating thing about Sophos.

We did not use another similar solution prior to Sophos XG. Since the MSP business started, it has been our primary firewall product because of the pricing and support.

The initial setup is complex, as is setting up any next-generation firewall today. You have to know what you're doing with firewalls in general, although beyond that, it isn't as bad as some of the firewalls that I have seen.

The deployment typically doesn't take longer than a few hours or a day, depending on the type of client and what it is that we have to do.

The Sophos pricing, in general, is better than SonicWall, Fortinet, WatchGuard, or anybody else. Because of the partner program, the pricing I get is extremely good compared to what I would get from any of the others.

I have evaluated several firewall products and I think that Sophos is better in terms of ease of use, performance, and pricing.

What other advice do I have?

I would highly encourage others to evaluate Sophos and adopt it. I've discovered that compared to other products, it is easier to manage and I think that it operates better.

Overall, I think that they've got a pretty complete set of features and they seem to be on a really good path. My only complaints are about the documentation and the availability of technical support.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

RM
System Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Stable with good web-filtering and the application control

• "We've had good experiences with technical support."
  • "The solution could be improved if it offered more documentation or at least provided more information about the products themselves."

What is our primary use case?

Most of our clients are primarily using the solution for the network protection it offers them.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspects of the solution are the web-filtering and the application control.

The solution is stable.

We've had good experiences with technical support.

The product is scalable.

What needs improvement?

The solution could be improved if it offered more documentation or at least provided more information about the products themselves. If there was a virtual assistant of some kind that would help clients familiarize themselves with everything, that would be very helpful.

It would be helpful to get some insights into new features so that we are able to relay information to clients effectively.

I've been using the solution technically since 2019, however, I haven't really been able to focus on it too much. Right now, I am refreshing my knowledge on Sophos XG.

The solution is very stable. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's very reliable overall.

We have clients from various sized companies, and the solution works well with all of them.

There seems to be pretty good scalability potential, at least up to a point.

We've been in touch with technical support and found them to be very accommodating. We are very satisfied with eh level of support they provide to us.

While I may have other colleagues on different solutions, my main focus is Sophos at the moment.

When we're talking about the initial setup for the Sophos XG it can either be simple or complex. It will depend mostly on the infrastructure of the client.

Deployment times also vary, according to the complexity.

Typically, the client handles the maintenance process themselves.

We handle the implementation process for our clients.

We have a platinum partnership with Sophos at this time.

I'm more on the technical side. I don't really have any insights into licensing and pricing as it's not an aspect of the solution I directly deal with on a regular basis.

I'd advise those considering any solution to really take the time to study the product and understand different aspects of it. Every solution is different, and therefore it's important to be able to navigate them. Doing some extra research at the outset will ensure you don't purchase the wrong firewall, which can be a waste of time and money.

I would rate the solution at a nine out of ten. We're quite happy with the product so far.

What other advice do I have?

We're using the latest version of the solution at this time.

We're integrators and resellers.

Product Categories
Firewalls
Download our free Sophos XG Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.