Manojkumar Deshmukh
G.M.(Works) at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
A stable firewall solution with a useful tunneling feature.

• "I like the tunneling part which we are using for the VOIP. We have various other sites where we connect via tunneling. The tunneling part is very fast and easy to implement."
  • "It would be better if they made their own hardware like Palo Alto and Fortinet. They use their own ASICs and claim it is more secure."

What is our primary use case?

We use Sophos XG for the firewall.

What is most valuable?

I like the tunneling part which we are using for the VOIP. We have various other sites where we connect via tunneling. The tunneling part is very fast and easy to implement.

The deployment is very easy for my network team, and it is very easy to implement policies. The support that Sophos provides for the upgrade of new features and their interaction with the customer is very good.

Customer engagement is what I like about the product. We are very well informed about what is going on and new best practices. If anything new has gone wrong or anything in the world of cybersecurity we should know about, they will let us know.

Any firewall is dependent on how you use it. It's also on the user, how you configure it, what you allow, and what you don't allow, and so on. The ease of defining policies and the customer connect is what I appreciate about Sophos.

What needs improvement?

It would be better if they made their own hardware like Palo Alto and Fortinet. They use their own ASICs and claim it is more secure.

The SD-WAN can be improved. The traffic optimization somehow needs to be improved, or there is a scope for improvement in Sophos XG.

It would be better if they moved towards the cloud side of things. Now a lot of things are moving on to the cloud.

I have been using Sophos XG for a couple of years.

Sophos XG is a stable product.

Sophos XG is scalable.

The Sophos forum and Sophos direct support are excellent.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Sophos support a ten.

We had Cyberoam, which Sophos took over.

The initial setup is straightforward and took us about a week to deploy.

An internal team made up of two people implemented Sophos XG.

We generally buy it for a three-year license.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Sophos XG to potential users.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Sophos XG an eight.

Milos Tolpa
IT Engineer at FormatPC
Reseller
User-friendly and helpful interface with good support that responds quickly

• "The VPN access for users is also a great thing, especially nowadays when working from home."
  • "Having a web portal where you could make requests for the categorization of non-categorized items, would be beneficial."

What is our primary use case?

For the primary use cases, we use SSL VPN access for rolling remote access. We use web filtering and we use the intrusion prevention that comes with network protection.

What is most valuable?

The user interface is very user-friendly and very helpful.

What needs improvement?

Categorization or uncategorized websites is an area that needs improvement.

The DLP rules don't cover countries such as Serbia. You cannot make custom rules. That could be added so that we could detect content that is not supposed to leave the company via email, and so that the rules could be customized by the clients.

We only have predefined rules and most of them are not for Serbia or countries from the Region.

We have been using Sophos from the time they acquired Astaro, before that it was UTM, then they released the XG firewall.

We are using the latest version.

It's a stable solution. We have not experienced any issues.

It's a scalable product. In the office, we have four users in our organization.

Our experience with technical support has been positive.

We have support from the local distributor. We have rarely had the need to contact technical support but when we have, we have had quick responses from them.

The initial setup is very straightforward and the implementation takes a relatively short amount of time. The fine-tuning takes a little bit more time but in general, it can be deployed and implemented quickly.

Also, the upgrades, backups, and recovery are very easy.

We are Sophos partners, we sell them and implement them ourselves.

We only need one engineer to deploy and maintain this solution. If you have a bigger deployment then you need two engineers.

Licensing fees are on a yearly basis.

What other advice do I have?

I can recommend this solution to others who are interested in using it.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Sophos XG. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
541,708 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Hariram Ale
Sr. Network Officer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Features a great firewall but better solutions exist regarding email security

• "The user interface is very good."
  • "We are not very happy with the customer support they provide — it's quite slow."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution as our main firewall. We also use it for email security purposes. Within our organization, there are roughly eight employees using this solution.

What is most valuable?

The user interface is very good. As we've been using Sophos for four years now, we're very comfortable with the GUI interface. In addition, the IPS is quite good.

What needs improvement?

We recently updated our previous version; now, the security licensing fee is quite high. I don't know if it's a bug in the OS, but it's not been very stable after we upgraded to the latest version.

we have been using Sophos for XG for four years.

Sophos is quite stable.

It's not that scalable but it's good enough for us.

We are not very happy with the customer support they provide — it's quite slow.

A year ago, we contacted technical support regarding the high security licensing fees but they still haven't gotten back to us; they're still analyzing the log.

Support-wise, I would only give Sophos a rating of three to four out of ten.

For us, the installation was very straightforward. We deal with a local vendor and they guide us through the installation process. We haven't experienced any issues setting up this solution.

The price of Sophos is reasonable. It's not too expensive — I think it's worth it. Price-wise, I'd give Sophos a rating of eight out of ten.

Before Sophos, we were using Fortinet. Fortinet was also a good solution but Sophos was equipped with more features that we needed.

What other advice do I have?

Feature-wise, I would give Sophos a rating of seven out of ten.

They need to improve their support, overall customer care, and lower the security licensing fees. If they improved these issues, I would give them a higher rating.

Before upgrading any Sophos firmware, be sure to contact the Sophos team and upgrade it according to their advice. Without their advice, I wouldn't recommend performing an upgrade.

Jasim Alsafran
Network & System Administrator at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Easy to set up, monitor, and block traffic, but the stability could be better

• "The most valuable features are the central management, the user VPN, and communications."
  • "I need to open the email to see what it contains and the value of it before I know whether to access it or not."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this product to monitor traffic, payments, and VPN access to our branches. Some are using VPN with hooks, Sophos XG 210, and the main one they are using in the data center is Sophos XG 310.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the central management, the user VPN, and communications.

You can monitor and block traffic.

What needs improvement?

In regards to email as an example, if you experience any malware, it is contained in the container but doesn't give you any information about the email, or what is contained in the email. You only have the option to reject it or to release it.

I need to open the email to see what it contains and the value of it before I know whether to access it or not.

Stability needs improvements.

We started with Sophos SG UTM 9, then we upgraded to XG. We have been using the latest version of XG for two years.

The stability could be better.

It's scalable and good for small businesses.

We have approximately 120 users.

I have contacted technical support three to five times per year.

It's good, but I don't have many questions to ask.

Previously, I was using Sophos SG. We were not using any other software from any other vendor. We have only dealt with Sophos.

The initial setup was simple. It was not complicated.

If you are familiar with the technology, the implementation will not be difficult.

It also depends on the business needs.

From testing and switching from SG to XG, it took approximately one week to deploy.

We had help from the vendor. The maintenance and the VPN connection is done in-house.

It is not expensive, it's a reasonable price.

There are some additional fees for additional tools.

What other advice do I have?

I can recommend Sophos XG to others who are interested in using this solution.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

SB
Network Team Lead at a manufacturing company with 5,001-10,000 employees
It is user friendly and reliable, but it needs granular control over the traffic

• "It is very user friendly and easy to manage from the administrative point of view. It is good, reliable, and easy to implement."
  • "It is a very basic and entry-level firewall. It doesn't give very granular control over the traffic. It should have more granular control over the traffic. This feature should be there similar to Palo Alto and Cisco. It should have such advanced features."

What is most valuable?

It is very user friendly and easy to manage from the administrative point of view. It is good, reliable, and easy to implement.

What needs improvement?

It is a very basic and entry-level firewall. It doesn't give very granular control over the traffic. It should have more granular control over the traffic. This feature should be there similar to Palo Alto and Cisco. It should have such advanced features.

I have been using Sophos XG for the last two years. We are using the latest version.

Its stability and reliability are fine.

If you want to have multiple firewall rules, it has this type of scalability. When I compare it with some other products, such as Palo Alto, I can't find similar scalability in Sophos XG. In Palo Alto, we can have rules based on applications or app IDs, and we can create multiple rules for a single ID. We can create a single user or single IP, but such options are not there in Sophos XG. Granular level scalability should be there in Sophos, and they should do better.

I appreciate their support. Their support is good.

I also use Palo Alto. Palo Alto provides application IDs, which is a very powerful feature. Sophos XG is a very normal next-generation firewall with URL filtering, application filtering, and all such features. It is not something extraordinary. It is a very normal next-generation firewall.

The initial setup is straightforward. It is a single day task to do the initial configuration and move the traffic over there. The firewall hardening, of course, will take some time depending upon the traffic, but the initial setup is a single day task.

What other advice do I have?

It is a normal firewall. All the basic features are there. However, it is not as advanced as some of the other solutions, such as Palo Alto. As we have more security threats, we need more granular control, but these features are not available in Sophos XG.

I would rate Sophos XG a five out of ten.

RJ
Firewall Engineer at a marketing services firm with 1-10 employees
MSP
Offers good security for SMBs

• "As a security solution, it's a very good security solution."
  • "They should improve the hardware. If they can do that, it will be a very good product."

What is our primary use case?

I use it for one of our universities in Palestine. It's an Arabic university and there were about more than 10,000 students. So, our user base ranges from 1 to 10,000. I use it as the main firewall. I use it for High Availability (HA). That's the main use case why we use Sophos XG. We do intend to keep using it.

What is most valuable?

As a security solution, it's a very good security solution.

What needs improvement?

Some features are not available on the graphical interface. So you need to return to the command line to solve some issues that are faced by the customer. I used it for enterprise networks, I decided that it is not very good for enterprise networks. There is some issue with its hardware. I have faced two problems and that were resolved by Sophos earlier. They changed the appliance. In other products, I have not seen such problems in the hardware. So I think that the hardware is not heavy duty. You can say it's not heavy duty like other vendors. The performance is not as it says on the datasheet. They should improve the hardware. If they can do that, it would be a very good product.

I am using the appliance from XG 110. We use versions 105 TO 370. I use more than one product for small to medium size businesses. We also use Intercept X firewalls. We deploy Sophos XG on-premise.

It is scalable for some things. It can have an extendable host. The appliance can be customized for more than one connection point. You can put it in the same fibre and DSL connection.

They have proper support in the technical point of view, and their English language is not clear. You know that they are not native English speakers. That's one of the things that I faced. But they have very good knowledge.

The installation of Sophos is very easy and straightforward.

It's not very expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend it for small to medium businesses, not for enterprise businesses. I'll rate it 8 out of 10.

US
Senior Manager, Information Technology at a university with 201-500 employees
Reliable and easy to install, but the policies should be upgraded

• "It is simple to use."
  • "In the next release, I would like to see improvements to simplify the interface and more policy deployments."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution as a firewall for everyone to connect to the internet.

We protect ourself and we use it as a VPN to connect to the internal network.

How has it helped my organization?

It is improved significantly.

What is most valuable?

It is simple to use.

What needs improvement?

The interface should be changed. It should be more user-friendly.

They should also update the policies and statistics because Fortinet is better, but Sophos could grow.

It was Cyberoam and we upgraded to Sophos XG. We have been using Cyberoam for more than 10 years and more than one year with Sophos XG.

We were on version 17 and have just upgraded to version 18.

It's stable. We have no problem at all with stability or with Sophos XG.

Its high availability is fine, it's good. It's scalable as well.

We have approximately 500  employees using this solution.

We will continue and increase our usage of this product.

We had one issue with Cyberoam, but it was upgraded with Sophos. They helped us, but it takes a bit of time to resolve it but it's fine.

We also use Fortinet FortiGate for large locations. The Fortinet usage is completely different than Sophos. Sophos is simple, but I prefer Fortinet.

It's easy to install.

It takes the team one hour to launch it.

We have a team of 15 people to deploy and maintain this solution.

We completed the installation ourselves.

We purchased the technical appliances for on-premises.

We have our license for three years.

Yes. Fortinet. However the price is much better to Fortinet.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Sophos XG to others, but it would depend on their capacity.

I would rate Sophos XG a seven out of ten.

AM
Creative Head/Director at a marketing services firm with 1-10 employees
Scalable and stable

• "The solution is scalable."
  • "The installation could be faster and is longer than that of other solutions, lasting more than a month instead of five minutes."

What needs improvement?

The solution is very slow in comparison with SonicWall and FortiGate. It should have faster performance.

The installation could be faster and is longer than that of other solutions, lasting more than a month instead of five minutes.

I've been using Sophos XG for five years.

When compared with other firewalls, such as that of SonicWall, we have had no issues with the solution's stability. It works very well.

The solution is scalable.

Sophos does not provide immediate support, such as SonicWall does with its toll free number. This may take an hour or two, although I suppose things would be different were we to raise a critical ticket.

I have been in contact with tech support within the last week or so.

SonicWall has a toll-free number which can be reached for immediate support, something which is unique, although Sophos may take an hour or two to respond. I suppose this would be different were a person to raise a critical ticket.

Sophos XG has a longer installation period than other firewalls, occupying in excess of a month instead of five minutes.

I am the technical person. Installation can be handled independently. We do the configuration of the firewall.

We have two teams that are responsible for the deployment, a firewall and a network one. We can handle the implementation using both teams.

I don't believe we have a license for this product.

SonicWall and FortiGate provide considerably faster performance than Sophos.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is deployed both on-premises and on the cloud.

We have a data center which contains multiple firewalls. If our clients ask about a certain firewall expert, we simply implement the Sophos firewall, clientele. We have created certain IP sectors like this, in which case we provide multiple firewalls in clientele.

We have around 150 clients making use of the firewall.

We would recommend the solution to others.

I rate Sophos XG as a ten out of ten.

Product Categories
Firewalls
Download our free Sophos XG Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.