Jasim Alsafran
Network & System Administrator at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Easy to set up, monitor, and block traffic, but the stability could be better

• "The most valuable features are the central management, the user VPN, and communications."
  • "I need to open the email to see what it contains and the value of it before I know whether to access it or not."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this product to monitor traffic, payments, and VPN access to our branches. Some are using VPN with hooks, Sophos XG 210, and the main one they are using in the data center is Sophos XG 310.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the central management, the user VPN, and communications.

You can monitor and block traffic.

What needs improvement?

In regards to email as an example, if you experience any malware, it is contained in the container but doesn't give you any information about the email, or what is contained in the email. You only have the option to reject it or to release it.

I need to open the email to see what it contains and the value of it before I know whether to access it or not.

Stability needs improvements.

We started with Sophos SG UTM 9, then we upgraded to XG. We have been using the latest version of XG for two years.

The stability could be better.

It's scalable and good for small businesses.

We have approximately 120 users.

I have contacted technical support three to five times per year.

It's good, but I don't have many questions to ask.

Previously, I was using Sophos SG. We were not using any other software from any other vendor. We have only dealt with Sophos.

The initial setup was simple. It was not complicated.

If you are familiar with the technology, the implementation will not be difficult.

It also depends on the business needs.

From testing and switching from SG to XG, it took approximately one week to deploy.

We had help from the vendor. The maintenance and the VPN connection is done in-house.

It is not expensive, it's a reasonable price.

There are some additional fees for additional tools.

What other advice do I have?

I can recommend Sophos XG to others who are interested in using this solution.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

SB
Network Team Lead at a manufacturing company with 5,001-10,000 employees
It is user friendly and reliable, but it needs granular control over the traffic

• "It is very user friendly and easy to manage from the administrative point of view. It is good, reliable, and easy to implement."
  • "It is a very basic and entry-level firewall. It doesn't give very granular control over the traffic. It should have more granular control over the traffic. This feature should be there similar to Palo Alto and Cisco. It should have such advanced features."

What is most valuable?

It is very user friendly and easy to manage from the administrative point of view. It is good, reliable, and easy to implement.

What needs improvement?

It is a very basic and entry-level firewall. It doesn't give very granular control over the traffic. It should have more granular control over the traffic. This feature should be there similar to Palo Alto and Cisco. It should have such advanced features.

I have been using Sophos XG for the last two years. We are using the latest version.

Its stability and reliability are fine.

If you want to have multiple firewall rules, it has this type of scalability. When I compare it with some other products, such as Palo Alto, I can't find similar scalability in Sophos XG. In Palo Alto, we can have rules based on applications or app IDs, and we can create multiple rules for a single ID. We can create a single user or single IP, but such options are not there in Sophos XG. Granular level scalability should be there in Sophos, and they should do better.

I appreciate their support. Their support is good.

I also use Palo Alto. Palo Alto provides application IDs, which is a very powerful feature. Sophos XG is a very normal next-generation firewall with URL filtering, application filtering, and all such features. It is not something extraordinary. It is a very normal next-generation firewall.

The initial setup is straightforward. It is a single day task to do the initial configuration and move the traffic over there. The firewall hardening, of course, will take some time depending upon the traffic, but the initial setup is a single day task.

What other advice do I have?

It is a normal firewall. All the basic features are there. However, it is not as advanced as some of the other solutions, such as Palo Alto. As we have more security threats, we need more granular control, but these features are not available in Sophos XG.

I would rate Sophos XG a five out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Sophos XG. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,529 professionals have used our research since 2012.
RJ
Firewall Engineer at a marketing services firm with 1-10 employees
MSP
Offers good security for SMBs

• "As a security solution, it's a very good security solution."
  • "They should improve the hardware. If they can do that, it will be a very good product."

What is our primary use case?

I use it for one of our universities in Palestine. It's an Arabic university and there were about more than 10,000 students. So, our user base ranges from 1 to 10,000. I use it as the main firewall. I use it for High Availability (HA). That's the main use case why we use Sophos XG. We do intend to keep using it.

What is most valuable?

As a security solution, it's a very good security solution.

What needs improvement?

Some features are not available on the graphical interface. So you need to return to the command line to solve some issues that are faced by the customer. I used it for enterprise networks, I decided that it is not very good for enterprise networks. There is some issue with its hardware. I have faced two problems and that were resolved by Sophos earlier. They changed the appliance. In other products, I have not seen such problems in the hardware. So I think that the hardware is not heavy duty. You can say it's not heavy duty like other vendors. The performance is not as it says on the datasheet. They should improve the hardware. If they can do that, it would be a very good product.

I am using the appliance from XG 110. We use versions 105 TO 370. I use more than one product for small to medium size businesses. We also use Intercept X firewalls. We deploy Sophos XG on-premise.

It is scalable for some things. It can have an extendable host. The appliance can be customized for more than one connection point. You can put it in the same fibre and DSL connection.

They have proper support in the technical point of view, and their English language is not clear. You know that they are not native English speakers. That's one of the things that I faced. But they have very good knowledge.

The installation of Sophos is very easy and straightforward.

It's not very expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend it for small to medium businesses, not for enterprise businesses. I'll rate it 8 out of 10.

US
Senior Manager, Information Technology at a university with 201-500 employees
Reliable and easy to install, but the policies should be upgraded

• "It is simple to use."
  • "In the next release, I would like to see improvements to simplify the interface and more policy deployments."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution as a firewall for everyone to connect to the internet.

We protect ourself and we use it as a VPN to connect to the internal network.

How has it helped my organization?

It is improved significantly.

What is most valuable?

It is simple to use.

What needs improvement?

The interface should be changed. It should be more user-friendly.

They should also update the policies and statistics because Fortinet is better, but Sophos could grow.

It was Cyberoam and we upgraded to Sophos XG. We have been using Cyberoam for more than 10 years and more than one year with Sophos XG.

We were on version 17 and have just upgraded to version 18.

It's stable. We have no problem at all with stability or with Sophos XG.

Its high availability is fine, it's good. It's scalable as well.

We have approximately 500  employees using this solution.

We will continue and increase our usage of this product.

We had one issue with Cyberoam, but it was upgraded with Sophos. They helped us, but it takes a bit of time to resolve it but it's fine.

We also use Fortinet FortiGate for large locations. The Fortinet usage is completely different than Sophos. Sophos is simple, but I prefer Fortinet.

It's easy to install.

It takes the team one hour to launch it.

We have a team of 15 people to deploy and maintain this solution.

We completed the installation ourselves.

We purchased the technical appliances for on-premises.

We have our license for three years.

Yes. Fortinet. However the price is much better to Fortinet.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Sophos XG to others, but it would depend on their capacity.

I would rate Sophos XG a seven out of ten.

AM
Creative Head/Director at a marketing services firm with 1-10 employees
Scalable and stable

• "The solution is scalable."
  • "The installation could be faster and is longer than that of other solutions, lasting more than a month instead of five minutes."

What needs improvement?

The solution is very slow in comparison with SonicWall and FortiGate. It should have faster performance.

The installation could be faster and is longer than that of other solutions, lasting more than a month instead of five minutes.

I've been using Sophos XG for five years.

When compared with other firewalls, such as that of SonicWall, we have had no issues with the solution's stability. It works very well.

The solution is scalable.

Sophos does not provide immediate support, such as SonicWall does with its toll free number. This may take an hour or two, although I suppose things would be different were we to raise a critical ticket.

I have been in contact with tech support within the last week or so.

SonicWall has a toll-free number which can be reached for immediate support, something which is unique, although Sophos may take an hour or two to respond. I suppose this would be different were a person to raise a critical ticket.

Sophos XG has a longer installation period than other firewalls, occupying in excess of a month instead of five minutes.

I am the technical person. Installation can be handled independently. We do the configuration of the firewall.

We have two teams that are responsible for the deployment, a firewall and a network one. We can handle the implementation using both teams.

I don't believe we have a license for this product.

SonicWall and FortiGate provide considerably faster performance than Sophos.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is deployed both on-premises and on the cloud.

We have a data center which contains multiple firewalls. If our clients ask about a certain firewall expert, we simply implement the Sophos firewall, clientele. We have created certain IP sectors like this, in which case we provide multiple firewalls in clientele.

We have around 150 clients making use of the firewall.

We would recommend the solution to others.

I rate Sophos XG as a ten out of ten.

MH
Managing Director at FORESEC
Straightforward to set up, stable, and is well-suited to SMB

• "Overall, this is a good product and I would recommend it for small to mid-sized customers."
  • "The number of ports, especially on the entry-level appliances, should be increased."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and Sophos XG is one of the security products that we implement for our customers. We always provide them with the latest version.

What needs improvement?

The price of adding ports should be reduced to make it more competitive.

The vendor needs to create materials to show the differences between Sophos products and those from other vendors.

Network management needs to be included in the package.

As it is now, it only supports ten multiple users, which is something that should be increased.

I have been working with Sophos XG for approximately two years.

This solution is stable.

This is a scalable product and we have approximately 150 users.

We get our support from the local distributor.

Prior to Sophos XG, we used products from Fortinet and Forcepoint.

The Forcepoint product is doing well. We have a different perimeter firewall for our data center that uses it because we use different vendors for different sites.

This is an on-premises appliance and the installation is straightforward. It can be deployed in less than an hour. However, according to the number of users and the number of ports that will be connected, the design may vary. This makes it difficult to estimate the time required to do a full implementation of the product.

We have four people in charge of maintenance, although they do not work exclusively with Sophos. We have another appliance from another vendor. The entire team, including their manager, is about 10 people.

The price is in the mid-range and it is very good for small to medium-sized businesses. One license opens everything.

Purnachandra Rao Koneru
Manager IT at QPS Bioserve Pvt Ltd.
Easy to use, robust, and the default templates are helpful

• "This solution is very user-friendly and even a non-professional can configure the policies."
  • "The cloud support needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

I was using the Sophos XG firewall in my last job, where it was part of our security solution.

We had multiple locations with the internet being provided from a central location. Each of our locations was connected point-to-point using MPLS lines. Using Sophos meant that we didn't need to have a router.

What is most valuable?

The default templates are helpful because if you want to create new policies, they make it easy to do anything you want.

Sophos XG is a very robust technology.

This solution is very user-friendly and even a non-professional can configure the policies.

There are unlimited SSL VPN clients and it is free with Sophos.

What needs improvement?

The cloud support needs to be improved. As it is, they only have support for Microsoft Azure. They should expand it to include providers like Amazon and Alibaba.

I have not heard complaints of bugs or glitches occurring.

Sophos is a scalable technology that is being regularly updated.

I have been in contact with technical support many times and they are very good.

Currently, in my new company, I am using Fortinet. This is a very basic firewall and ultimately, I would like to update them.

The initial setup is not complicated. For somebody with an intermediate level of knowledge, it will take between three and four hours to deploy. For a more experienced person, it may take two or three.

I am currently in the process of evaluating the different firewalls that are available in India.  One of the options is Sophos, and I am also considering others such as SonicWall and Palo Alto.

With Fortinet and SonicWall, there is a limit of 10 people who can simultaneously connect using the VPN.

What other advice do I have?

Sophos XG is a firewall that I would recommend for people who are looking for good security in a medium-scale organization.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Unmesh Deshpande
CTO at Kingsway Hospitals
The great interface and security are key features

• "Good security and a good interface."
  • "Content filtering could be more effective and efficient."

What is our primary use case?

I'm the CTO of our company and we are customers of Sophos.

What is most valuable?

I've found that the valuable features are the interface and the security, both are really great.

What needs improvement?

The security of the solution could be improved by making it more intuitive and it should have a background reputation service for classification of websites for content filtering. It's a service which defines the type of websites enabling me to do my content filtering in a much more effective and efficient way.

They really need to include some kind of a client app for mobiles so that firewalls and all the metrics can be accessed directly on the phone; some kind of administrative application on the phone, maybe on an iOS or Android.

I've been using this solution for over four years.

This is a stable solution, it's a nice robust firewall. We love using it.

The solution is scalable, we have around 700 end users and 10 technical people on staff.

We are satisfied with the technical support but having said that, we didn't need much support because the menus and all the online documentation is self-explanatory. There was no failure so we didn't have to actually log a call with Sophos.

We didn't previously use another solution before implementing Sophos. We chose it by specification and the reputation it has in the market.

The initial setup was a little complex because of the kind of configuration that we were looking at, the way the firewall had to be configured was slightly complex. We carried out the implementation ourselves and it took a maximum two days.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution but would suggest that before buying any firewall, it's important to assess your expectations and then match it with the specification. You will not be disappointed if you do this.

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.

Product Categories
Firewalls
Download our free Sophos XG Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.