Vipin Garg
Co-Founder at Multitechservers
A reliable product that provides remote VPN capability and multifactor authentication

• "The multifactor authentication is helpful because whenever the user wants to connect to the firewall, they have to use the authenticator before they can access it."
  • "Technical support can be slow to respond, which is something that should be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Sophos XG for remote two-factor authentication. We manage the web and application access, as well as the traffic. We also used it for remote, site-to-site VPNs.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the remote VPN.

The LAN traffic management features such as implicit denial are very good.

What needs improvement?

In the future, I would like to see the addition of artificial intelligence for identifying and controlling traffic.

We have been using Sophos XG for the past year.

This is a reliable solution.

This product is scalable. We have approximately 400 users, spread across different departments. As our production increases and we onboard more users, we will extend the use of Sophos XG.

The technical support team is good but sometimes, there is a large delay in answering the phones.

The initial setup is straightforward.

We had assistance from the vendor during the onboarding process when the system was being set up. They spotted a lot of things during the implementation, which helped.

We get a return on this investment because the inbuilt two-factor authentication means that we don't need to purchase a third-party tool for this security feature.

The price is good and licensing fees are billed on a yearly basis.

We evaluated Cisco Firepower but we found that Sophos XG was more efficient in terms of cost. As such, we implemented XG.

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that I can recommend for organizations with a medium-level or large-level infrastructure.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Million Gizaw
Chief-Information-Technology-Officer at ABIG
Good Protection, scales well, and is easy to setup

• "Web publishing is important, as well as the importance of the antivirus patch."
  • "Our clients use Karios, and while it integrates well with it, the integration could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for VPN, client VPN, malware filtering, and antivirus scanning.

How has it helped my organization?

It has definitely improved the way our organization functions. Previously only using free tools, and once we started using Sophos XG, the number of threats dropped dramatically. We had a lot of threats to our network, but they have dramatically decreased since we started using this solution.

What is most valuable?

All of the features in Sophos XG are valuable.

Web publishing is important, as well as the importance of the antivirus patch.

The firewall is also essential, and the VPN.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Sophos XG for three years.

We are using the XG version.

We encountered an issue with the hardware when we first purchased this solution. We called Sophos, who replaced the device, and we have not had any issues since.

We have no issues with the scalability of Sophos XG.

In our organization, we have 150 users, and all are required to maintain this solution.

We don't have plans to increase the usage at this time.

We have not really used technical support. If we have an issue, we resolve it ourselves.

Previously, we were using older versions of Microsoft. We used it for almost 10 years before switching to Sophos.

The initial setup was easy.

We completed the installation ourselves. I took a maximum of two weeks.

I have not calculated our ROI.

We have a three-year license.

What other advice do I have?

I am the Chief IT Officer. I don't have all of the technical details of this product. We have technical staff who use this solution for their daily routines and activities.

It's a very good product. I would rate Sophos XG an eight out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Sophos XG. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,873 professionals have used our research since 2012.
OO
Network Administrator at a construction company with 51-200 employees
A stable and easy-to-deploy solution with a fair price and useful IPS and ATP features

• "IPS and advanced threat protection (ATP) are the most valuable features. I am able to segment my network traffic and block incoming connections. It is also easy to use."
  • "I would like to have better SSL decryption and HTTP decryption. There should be filtering of SSL and HTTP traffic. Sophos XG consumes a lot of endpoint resources. It consumes a lot of RAM and CPU resources, and they should look into this."

What is our primary use case?

It is a firewall. It is used in my defense line. It provides defense and a form of security for my internal network.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I would like to have better SSL decryption and HTTPS decryption. There should be filtering of SSL and HTTPS traffic.

Sophos XG consumes a lot of endpoint resources. It consumes a lot of RAM and CPU resources, and they should look into this.

I have been using this solution for two years.

It is stable.

Its scalability is fine. We have about 40 users. We don't have any plan to increase its usage at the moment. However, it depends on recruitments and other things. If required, my company would change my box to a bigger one for better processing speed.

Their technical support is okay. Sometimes, during the webinars, when I have some questions, they respond to them, but sometimes, I don't get any response.

I have worked with Check Point before. Check Point is very expensive. At this time, we are not thinking of switching to another solution. If we were switching, Cisco Firepower would have been an option, but my colleagues, who have good experience with such solutions, would prefer to stay with Sophos XG. Cisco Firepower is a little bit complicated to use. It is also expensive. Cisco and Check Point have different boxes for different things, whereas Sophos brings everything into one box.

It was straightforward.

Its price is fair. It is cheaper and way better than others.

What other advice do I have?

I like this solution. I would rate Sophos XG an eight out of ten.

WG
Network Security Administrator at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
Reasonably-priced and straightforward to set up, but instability has caused problems and customer support should be improved

• "The initial setup was straightforward."
  • "The first area that needs to be improved is customer support."

What is our primary use case?

We use the Sophos XG firewall as part of our security solution.

What needs improvement?

The first area that needs to be improved is customer support.

If I'm implementing a connection on the DMZ or WAN, I should be able to dive deep into the implementation, specifying what needs to be implemented or not. For example, I should be able to configure specific details for the DMZ, and not have to follow the templates that they provide.

We have had problems with the stability that affected business operations.

We have been using Sophos XG for three years.

The issue of stability is the reason that I'm trying to move away from using Sophos as our firewall. There were times where Sophos randomly cut some users off of the internet, which adversely affected business operations. It is important because our business relies on throughput and service, like the uptime of e-commerce servers.

Scalability depends on the specifications during the time of order, prior to first implementing the firewall. With respect to my organization, scalability has been okay. It comes down to the amount of money that is spent.

We have 1,200 users in the company.

Customer support needs to be improved. The time they take to resolve issues is too long.

The initial setup was straightforward. It took us less than 30 minutes. Normally, it depends on the size of your organization, so for mine, the installation was less than 15 minutes. By 30 minutes I was finished even with the setup and configuration.

For our company, the price was reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

We are now thinking about incorporating the Fortinet next-generation firewall.

My advice for anybody who is considering Sophos is that a business with a lot of throughput and data traffic should look for another firewall.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

Gonzalo  Diaz
Head of Cybersecurity at mundo credito
Management centralized, highly scalable, and technical support helpful

• "I have found the feature allowing you to manage everything from a centralized location beneficial."
  • "I am using the Azure Active Directory in my company and it was complicated to integrate this solution with Azure."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the solution as a firewall to protect all the computers in our financial organization, we did not have one before.

What is most valuable?

I have found the feature allowing you to manage everything from a centralized location beneficial.

What needs improvement?

I am using the Azure Active Directory in my company and it was complicated to integrate this solution with Azure. I had to use an internal VPN and had to do many configurations to get it operating. This process should be easier to implement.

I have been using the solution for the past six months.

The solution has been stable in my experience.

One of the main reason I chose this solution was great scalability. I have approximately 150 people using this solution in my company.

The technical support is very good. Two months ago we needed help with implementation and they helped us with the configuration of Azure and this solution. You are able to find everything in the documents for the solution, it comes with easy to follow information with photos.

I was using Cisco products before and we decided to switch to this solution because of Sophos Central and it is easier to manage.

The setup was easy to manage for this solution.

It has taken us six months to implement the solution and I am still deploying my system. We used another company to help us do the deployment and maintenance is done by a team of three.

I paid for a license for the solution for three years costing approximately $11,000. Additionally, I received the Web Appliance fee for paying for the full license.

What other advice do I have?

All my experience with this solution has been good. I would recommend this to others and already have.

I rate Sophos XG a nine out of ten.

MI
Sr. Network Administrator at a manufacturing company with 201-500 employees
Friendly, dependable, scalable, and simple to migrate

• "The performance is good."
  • "Sophos XG does not have the ability to disconnect a user."

What is most valuable?

Sophos XG is very good.

It's very friendly.

The performance is good.

What needs improvement?

The reporting could be improved.

Many other firewalls give you the option to disconnect a user. For example, if an end-user is using too much bandwidth, you could right-click to disconnect this user, but Sophos XG does not support this feature.

Sophos XG does not have the ability to disconnect a user.

I have been using Sophos XG for one and a half years.

We are using the latest version.

The stability of Sophos XG is great!

Sophos XG is scalable.

We have approximately 120 users in our organization who are using this solution.

We have never contacted the technical support for Sophos. Once or twice we called the local support but not for Sophos.

Previously we used Cyberoam. When they announced the end of life we switched to Sophos XG.

It was upgraded because it had reached the end of its life. We only had one option for upgrading to Sophos XG. They gave us the option to upgrade and provided us with the hardware for free.

We migrated from Cyberoam. The migration went very well.

The migration process did not require a lot of configuration.

It took a few days to complete the migration and the testing.

This solution is being managed by myself and a colleague. We are a team of two.

We were able to complete the migration ourselves.

They have different options for the license.

We paid for three years which included the migration and the free hardware.

In most cases, I believe that the licensing is paid yearly.

What other advice do I have?

I don't have any issues with this solution. I would recommend this solution for others who are interested in using it.

I would rate Sophos XG an eight out of ten.

Mr. Antonio Damian
Sales Manager at INFOSEC
Stable with a good cloud-based console and great for enterprise-level organizations

• "The product has a console that is based in the cloud for all their products. In this console, they have email security, firewall security, endpoint security, et cetera. All of the products on offer in the console are very useful for us."
  • "The manuals or guides we are given are too simple. When we are implementing the product, it is difficult for us as we don't have more detailed information."

What is most valuable?

The product has a console that is based in the cloud for all their products. In this console, they have email security, firewall security, endpoint security, et cetera. All of the products on offer in the console are very useful for us.

The solution is stable.

The solution works well for enterprises and large-scale organizations.

What needs improvement?

The technical support on offer is slow. When I have questions, they answer me very slowly. Sometimes within 24 hours, I have a response. However, it can be longer. In Mexico, Sophos doesn't have technical support locally. It's in Argentina or in other countries. It would be nice if support was available in the country.

The stability is okay. That said, as an enterprise solution, it can be a bit unstable during the initial implementation.

The solution works well for enterprise-level organizations.

We're not overly satisfied with technical support. We'd like to see local support, from within our country. Due to the fact that it is coming from outside, the response is very slow. We'd like it to be faster. We aren't completely satisfied with the level of service we get.

The initial setup is difficult in that there isn't enough documentation available to walk a user through the process. It can cause some issues. It's not exactly straightforward.

Sometimes we need to work with other resellers. We don't always implement the solution by ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

We are partners with Sophos.

We are using the 130-type of solution.

We take a hybrid approach to deployment. Some servers are on-premise and some servers are in-cloud.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
MA
Head of Network Department at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
A stable firewall solution, but the GUI and support could be better

• "Sophos is a stable solution, and we haven't had any bugs or limitations."
  • "The GUI and support could be better. I think there are other products that we are going to deploy instead of Sophos. We have already upgraded a month ago because the interfaces and support for Sophos are really weak. But other products like Juniper, Cisco, or FortiGate are better than Sophos. It's also complicated, and the end-user or client does not understand it."

What is our primary use case?

We use the SRX from Juniper as the second firewall, and Sophos is useful as a first firewall facing the internet edge. We also use it as an SD-WAN, and we're going to use it as a load balancer instead of a BIG F5 load balancer. All of the things like web filtering and internal email filtering will be inside Sophos XG.

What is most valuable?

Sophos is a stable solution, and we haven't had any bugs or limitations.

What needs improvement?

The interfaces and the GUI design are not easy, and when you do something, unrelated things are in the same configuration site. There are different sites to visit to configure Sophos. This is even more than other products. Many features can be improved, especially the VPN and web filtering features.

We have been using Sophos XG for about five years.

Sophos XG is stable.

Technical support could be better. I already opened a ticket three days ago, but they are not interested or have not cooperated with the end customer. But Juniper and Cisco are fast to respond compared to Sophos. Sophos is really complicated, and it's not fair to buy the annual support when they don't provide any support quickly when you request it.

The price is fair.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise potential users not to use Sophos if they are not buying the appliance. They should use another product like FortiGate, Check Point, or Palo Alto.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Sophos XG a six.

Product Categories
Firewalls
Download our free Sophos XG Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.