Alex Clerici
System Integrator at Tecnimex srl
Integrates well with other Sophos solutions, efficient, and is reasonably priced

• "Sophos began with a basic version and evolved into something more efficient in terms of performance."
  • "I would like to have a more efficient login process."

What is our primary use case?

This solution is used by both us and our customers.

What is most valuable?

As this product has recently changed, we are learning about the features of Sophos XG one step at a time.

It integrates well with other Sophos products, such as the Sophos Firewall, Sophos Endpoint, and other features in a cloud platform, to help the customer better manage security on their site.

What needs improvement?

I would like to have a more efficient logging process & real time analisys. The logging, expecially with EDR subscription, is something that needs improvement.

I would like to see email management improved to have more features and options for integrating with other solutions, expecially cloud based.

We started working with Sophos XG when it was known as Astaro AG. I have been working with this solution for more than 10 years.

Technical support is always an issue, not just with Sophos but also with other brands. It is extremely difficult to interact with support within the time frame that the customer expects.

In general, it takes more time to solve a problem, and better independent actions are required.

The initial setup can be difficult. You should be familiar with Sophos or have prior knowledge of it, as it requires concepts from older versions of Sophos, the Sophos SG, the Cyberoam environment, and everything that has recently been introduced.

It is better to have some training before using this solution.

The price is reasonable in my opinion.

I began looking into Fortinet solutions simply to compare some features.

What other advice do I have?

I would always recommend conducting a thorough analysis before deciding on a solution because Sophos may have some oversight for some of the tasks. It is beneficial to examine the environment that the Sophos product will be used, considering the integration with other features.

I would rate Sophos XG an eight out of ten.

Antony Muturi
ICT/HMIS Supervisor at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
A stable and seamless solution with good support and useful VPN and filtering features

• "The VPN feature is the most valuable. It has come in handy during this period when people are working from home. The filtering feature is also valuable because you can easily filter the sites that you don't want to visit. You can also set timely surfing quotas."
  • "They made some changes to the firmware update sometime last year, which moved some of the policies from where they were before. Some of the policies, such as NAS policies, were separated, which made it a bit hard for people to trace the policies they had configured."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for VPN and for filtering direct traffic. We are using XG50.

What is most valuable?

The VPN feature is the most valuable. It has come in handy during this period when people are working from home.

The filtering feature is also valuable because you can easily filter the sites that you don't want to visit. You can also set timely surfing quotas.

What needs improvement?

They made some changes to the firmware update sometime last year, which moved some of the policies from where they were before. Some of the policies, such as NAS policies, were separated, which made it a bit hard for people to trace the policies they had configured.

I have been using this solution for three years.

It has been very stable. We haven't had any outages. It has been seamless.

I am not quite sure about that. In terms of the number of nodes, we have around 200 nodes. All the internet traffic has to go through Sophos XG. In terms of the number of people who handle the support, we have two people.

Their technical support is good. Whenever I have contacted them, they have given us support. They have been quite fast.

We were using Cyberoam. When they were acquired, we just upgraded to Sophos because, at that time, they were providing the hardware and support to transfer your configs to Sophos.

Its initial setup was done by a contractor. We just maintain it. We have an expert, and we also have access to an IT department.

In terms of price, it is a mid-range product.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. I would rate Sophos XG an eight out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Sophos XG. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
553,954 professionals have used our research since 2012.
TC
Information Systems Infrastructure Manager at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Reseller
Local support and good training, but the wireless controller and scalability can be better

• "I like the firewall, inbound, and outbound modules the most. The VPN feature also works well. It is very easy to configure rules in Sophos XG. We have got local service here in Zimbabwe from Sophos, which is something that I like a lot. We have got good local support, and they come on-site when we have any challenges. Sophos provides a lot of good training all around Zimbabwe. They are quite dominant here, similar to other solutions like Fortinet or WatchGuard."
  • "When you are using it as a controller for the wireless access points, it doesn't perform well. It is not suitable for the public cloud. It is more suitable for enterprise data. It is not really the equipment for cloud data centers. I am looking for a data center firewall."

What is our primary use case?

I am using it for unified management.

What needs improvement?

It is not suitable for the public cloud. It is more suitable for enterprise data. It is not really the equipment for cloud data centers. I am looking for a data center firewall.

I have been using Sophos XG for more than five years. I started with Cyberoam, which was bought by Sophos.

It is stable. I have managed to secure my network. It has been good so far.

It is not so scalable. If you want to upgrade, you have to buy another appliance. I don't see so much scalability. You can only change a port from 1 gigabit to 10 gigabits. There are other solutions like Fortinet that are more scalable.

Their support is good. We get local support from them.

The initial setup is straightforward. The deployment took two days.

The pricing is flexible. Sophos looks at a country's economy and offers flexible pricing. This is how they have managed to penetrate the market.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend it. It has good support and training.

I would rate Sophos XG a seven out of ten.

Daniel  Alorwu
Head of Security at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
Is scalable and has an intrusion detection feature, but reporting needs improvement

• "I like their firewall and the intrusion detection feature"
  • "The initial setup is not straightforward."

What is most valuable?

I like their firewall and the intrusion detection feature. This is also a scalable solution.

What needs improvement?

Their reporting needs to be improved.

The initial setup is not straightforward.

Technical support could be improved as well.

Integration to the cloud is also a challenge. It's not straightforward, especially while I move my mail from on-premises to cloud 365. I had to go to the cloud to research certain routes with it.

I've been using it for five years.

It is scalable. We have over 500 users.

My experience with technical support has been poor because I have not had any support. When I have had issues, I have gone to their help files but have not had any technical support.

The initial setup is not straightforward. You have to do a lot of reading to do something new. So, you have to really understand it or have prior knowledge to be able to find your own way out to whatever you want to do.

We currently have two people who manage this solution.

The cost could be lower especially if you want to add other features. For example, if I want to activate the advanced threats feature in Sophos Central, there will be an additional cost. There are features that I wish I could have, but because of the cost, I currently don't have them.

What other advice do I have?

I think technical competence is much needed, so if you are not familiar with Sophos firewalls, you would need to be trained. You need to have knowledge to be able to work with this solution. It's not straightforward like other firewalls. It's not easy; you may understand the concept, but you need to have technical knowledge regarding the interface and the movement.

So, I would rate Sophos XG at seven on a scale from one to ten.

Junedh Rehman
IT Support Engineer at odak bilisim
Easy port configuration, scalable, but policies could improve

• "I have found configuring the ports to be easier in Sophos XG compared to the other devices."
  • "Sophos XG could improve the policies, they are a bit confusing when creating them. There are many options that make it confusing and it could be simplified."

What is our primary use case?

We use Sophos XG for network security as a firewall for our company.

What is most valuable?

I have found configuring the ports to be easier in Sophos XG compared to the other devices.

What needs improvement?

Sophos XG could improve the policies, they are a bit confusing when creating them. There are many options that make it confusing and it could be simplified.

I have been using Sophos XG for approximately two years.

The Stability and performance are quite good. We haven't seen any problems.

The solution is scalable.

I would rate the scalability of Sophos XG an eight out of ten.

We have approximately 10 people using this solution in my organization.

My customers are using this solution on a daily basis.

I have contacted support once or twice to receive some clarification. I had a good experience.

I have used other solutions preciously and FortiGate's user interface is much easier to use when compared to Palo Alto and Sophos. Additionally, in Palo Alto, assigning the ports are more user-friendly.

The installation is straightforward.

I did the implementation of Sophos XG myself and it took approximately 20 minutes.

There is no maintenance is required for this solution.

Our networking team is approximately 10 people that use the solution.

The Palo Alto solution is expensive and the FortiGate is less expensive than Palo Alto. The Sophos XG would be priced in the middle of the two.

There are some fees but you can purchase a bundle package.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to those wanting to use this solution is if you don't have experience, don't use it.

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Sophos XG a seven out of ten.

KhalidOmer
Data Center Engineer at a retailer with 5,001-10,000 employees
Good pricing, has helpful technical support, and offers good stability

• "We found the initial setup to be straightforward."
  • "The VPN device could be improved upon."

What is most valuable?

The solution has a variety of very good, very useful features. We take advantage of a lot of them.

The initial setup isn't overly difficult.

The stability is good.

We found the initial setup to be straightforward.

Technical support is helpful.

The pricing is reasonable.

What needs improvement?

The VPN device could be improved upon.

The firewalls could be strengthened.

The solution could be more scalable.

I've been working with the solution for four or five years or so at this point. It's been a while.

The solution is very stable. We haven't dealt with bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze. It's pretty reliable.

I wouldn't describe the solution as overly scalable. It's limited.

We have 100 to 150 users on the product currently.

Technical support has been oaky. When we have needed them, they have been helpful and responsive. We're satisfied with the level of support we receive.

The initial setup was okay. It wasn't too complicated or difficult. It was pretty straightforward overall.

We have ten to 20 people on staff that can handle deployment and maintenance. We look at the solution monthly to see if there's anything we have to do.

We find the pricing to be reasonable. It's not too expensive.

We purchase a new license every three years.

I can't speak to the exact pricing of the product, however.

We're satisfied with this solution currently. We aren't evaluating any others or looking for a replacement.

What other advice do I have?

We're a customer and an end-user. We don't have a business relationship with Sophos.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

I prefer the advanced Sophos models. they are reliable and work well for us.

Amgad Soliman
Senior System & Security Administrator at a legal firm with 51-200 employees
It has a good interface that's very user-friendly

• "I've tried out Sophos XG a little. It has a good interface that's very user-friendly, but I haven't used all of its functions because I'm only configuring and running the system."
  • "I would prefer if Sophos XG were cheaper. A lower price would benefit me as a system provider for the end customer. The cost of the license and renewal for all the software and devices is somewhat high."

What is most valuable?

I've tried out Sophos XG a little. It has a good interface that's very user-friendly, but I haven't used all of its functions because I'm only configuring and running the system.

I've been working with Sophos XG for six months. I am not an end-user. I only provide the solution and implementation.

I think Sophos XG is very stable because the users who have installed it never mention any issues. It's very stable and scalable.

Sophos XG is a scalable solution. Our clients who use Sophos are not big companies.

I haven't dealt with Sophos support because I'm just doing the basic implementation for the Sophos. But I Sophos support is very experienced and helpful. Sophos has a team for administration and implementation—a good team to improve the application.

It depends on the implementation and the deployment of systems. In my small company, I have four people on my technical team. Two of them specialize in firewall and security. They're working on Fortinet. They deal with antivirus and security implementation as well as Veeam Backup. The other two handle the administration implementation, including Active Directory and other administration solutions.

I would prefer if Sophos XG were cheaper. A lower price would benefit me as a system provider for the end customer. The cost of the license and renewal for all the software and devices is somewhat high.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Sophos XG nine out of 10. I am a Fortinet partner. If a user asks me which solution to buy, I'll tell them Fortinet. But if the customer needs Sophos, I will implement it for him. However, if I had a Sophos partnership, I would recommend it every time.

SA
IT Executive at Hotel Maluri Kuala Lumpur
User-friendly and easy to explore with many good features

• "The product is very easy to explore. It has a very good layout."
  • "The solution is tied to the US dollar. You need to pay whatever the equivalent is in your own currency, and, if the exchange is bad, it can really add to the cost."

What is most valuable?

Overall, everything about the solution works well. We haven't had any issues at all.

The features on offer are great. It has pretty much everything we need.

The solution is very user-friendly.

The product is very easy to explore. It has a very good layout.

What needs improvement?

I need to do a bit more research on the product. I can't think of any features that are missing.

We've been using the solution for three years. It hasn't been an extremely long amount of time.

The stability is great. We don't have any issues. I haven't come across bugs or glitches. There isn't crashing or freezing. It's reliable.

Technical support is quite good. That said, we really haven't had any issues with the product itself.

I used to use Fortinet. That was at a different company, however.

The solution is very straightforward to set up. It's not too complex. Sophos Endpoint is similar in that respect. It's easy to implement.

The pricing is a bit expensive. That is mostly due to the US exchange. If the exchange is bad, it's quite an expensive option for us.

What other advice do I have?

We are Sophos customers. We're just end-users.

We also use Sophos Intercept X and Sophos Endpoint as well.

It's a good option. It's easy to explore and to use. Everything is pretty straightforward, especially if you compare it to other firewalls.

Overall, I would rate it at a nine out of ten. We've been very happy with it in general.

Product Categories
Firewalls
Download our free Sophos XG Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.