Sophos XG Overview

Sophos XG is the #5 ranked solution in our list of best firewalls. It is most often compared to Fortinet FortiGate: Sophos XG vs Fortinet FortiGate

What is Sophos XG?

Sophos XG Firewall is next gen firewall that is optimized for today’s business, delivering all the protection and insights you need in a single, powerful appliance that’s easy to manage.

Sophos XG Buyer's Guide

Download the Sophos XG Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

Sophos XG Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Sophos XG pricing:
  • "It comes at a fair price as compared to some of the other products out there. Its price is in the middle. It is not the cheapest, and it is also not as expensive as Juniper, Check Point, and definitely Cisco. Nowadays, everybody is very cost-sensitive, and people don't want to spend unnecessary money, but even before that, it was a fairly priced product. You've got your choice of what license you want. There are basically two types of licenses, and it depends on what you need to do, and everything is included in that license. There is no cost for VPN and DMZ. You purchase the license, and you know upfront what you're getting or what you're not getting, and that's it. It is one license fee and done and dusted."
  • "Sophos XG isn't expensive compared to Check Point."
  • "We are paying about $1,500 yearly for the Enterprise Plus. As far as I know, there aren't costs above this standard fee."
  • "When comparing with Palo Alto and Cisco, Sophos is cheaper."

Marco-VIVALDELLI
CEO at MARVIV SRLS
Light and stable with excellent real-time control

What is our primary use case?

I'm using the solution mainly for its firewall application and to prevent intrusion in the system. The XG platform is very powerful from the perspective of identification and to prevent potential attacks on the system due to its the capacity to predict and to anticipate the potential damage on the system. It's integrated inside the system, meaning that it can control all the endpoints in the system and talk with them and identify any potential situation. It can also isolate one area inside the system without compromising the entire system. This allows you to isolate the initial problem without… more »

• "It's a product that is in continuous improvement and is following what the customer is asking for. They are taking inputs and designing new releases specifically according to the client and their needs."
  • "The solution could offer a bit more integration with other systems, with other platforms - just to be able to extend the capability and to interface with other kinds of platforms or systems that I can find on the market as it gives the possibility to improve the level of integration."

What other advice do I have?

I'm mainly a user. Sometimes I handle installations. I'm using the latest version of the solution. I don't have the version number on-hand. We do plan on continuing to use the solution. I've been quite please with it overall. I would recommend the solution to others. It's worked quite well so far and really leads the market. I would rate the solution at a ten out of ten.
Chris Booyens
IT Manager at Thyme IT
A rock-solid and sensible product that works very well, comes at a fair price, and requires minimal handling

What is our primary use case?

We use it for firewalling. Lately, we are also using it for remote access or VPN access for the users to the firewall and then onto the local network for people working from home. We've seen a huge jump in work from home. Everybody is working from home, so we need a secure connection to the office. I am not using its latest version. I normally wait for a couple of months before upgrading the unit to make sure there are no bugs or issues. I check on the forums to see what other people are saying and whether there are any issues.

• "There are many features. VPN, firewalling, and intrusion detection are the main features that are most useful for us at this time."
  • "Their support is fairly good, and they come back to me. I've had an issue once or twice where I couldn't understand what the support person was saying because those calls were probably routed to India. They were a bit difficult to understand, but it is generally not an issue."

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this solution to others. I recommend it to all my clients. I'm using it at home as well, and it works great. I'm fairly proficient in it, so I'm very confident. I can recommend it to anybody and everybody. It is a great product, and I've got no issue with it. I would rate Sophos XG a ten out of ten. It is a rock-solid product that works. We've so many deployments of this solution. I'm just happy with it.
Learn what your peers think about Sophos XG. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,817 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Alexandre RASTELLO
Senior Consultant at ARENTIA S.A.
A powerful and cost-effective web application firewall solution

What is our primary use case?

We essentially use Sophos XG to protect our customers. Most of our customers use remote VPN connections. They also use the WAF protection for exposed internet WEB servers.

• "The web application firewall reverse proxy is very good."
  • "Sophos can improve the debugging of the WAPS function."

What other advice do I have?

I think it's very important to choose the right appliance first. Implementing a lot of things like VPN, IPS strong protection and WAF functions will stress more the appliance CPU. It depend also with the number of connections and number of users too. Sophos XG is a lot of fun because you can change the appliance model without changing the configuration. You can back-up the configuration of the old appliance and import into the new appliance without spending hour for migration. It's powerful, and the new system is quickly operational. Another key is VPN LAN to LAN in SSL, allowing connections…
Manuel Gellida
Owner at Dinamica en Microsistemas de Informatica, S.A. de C.V.
Reseller
Easy to use and deploy with an improved pricing structure in place

What is our primary use case?

My clients are mostly based in the government. They are my core clients. I install the solution for my clients.

• "The initial setup is pretty easy."
  • "They need to allow their solution to integrate with other products and not just other Sophos solutions."

What other advice do I have?

I'm a Sophos reseller. We use multiple versions. We have worked with XG 460 and XG 135 and some others -such as XG 230. In those cases, sometimes it has been Rev 1 and in other cases Rev 2 in terms of the hardware versions. I mostly work with on-premise deployments. The only item I have installed in the cloud is an email solution by Sophos. I'd recommend the solution to other organizations. Overall, I would rate it at a nine out of ten.
Olufemi Adalemo
Chief Technology Officer at Leystel Nigeria Limited
Reseller
An easy to manage solution that streamlines processes and management

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution as an internet firewall, and a VPN concentrator.

• "The SL VPNs are the most valuable feature. I have a lot of systems out of the head office that need to connect to the local networks, and they all connect wirelessly via the Sophos VPN client."
  • "The initial set up process can be a little tricky, especially when you are registering with Sophos using your registration number. Setup is not necessarily complex, but it's not trouble-free. You do have connectivity issues at the initial setup with registering the device on the Sophos platform to access the advanced features. It doesn't always go through the first time around. That may be an issue with the quality of our automation. I'm not sure exactly what it is."

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model. We definitely plan to increase the usage and also add high variability too. Right now, it is the main internet gateway and firewall for my network. We're using both Sophos XG and Sophos UTM. I would warn those considering implementation that, once you've got it, you're stuck with it. You can't really increase the capacity very much beyond what you have. It's always good to have the expertise available to take care of the box because even though it's a lot easier than the Cisco ASA, you still need someone that has a little expertise in managing it. You…
WilliamMugobogobo
Head of ICT Infrastructure and Security at City of Harare
Easy to set up with great protection features and excellent documentation

What is our primary use case?

We use Sophos Firewall for our environment. The Sophos Firewall, from our interaction and the way we are using it, is a very effective network security solution that basically protects our infrastructure, identifies any infections or any network security threats that actually may happen within our environment. We also are able to manage our users in terms of bandwidth usage and the allocation of bandwidth, whereby we give our users restricted access for use during working hours and they are supposed to utilize the bandwidth and make sure that we optimize and prioritize the applications able to… more »

• "The initial setup is very straightforward and the solution is extremely user-friendly."
  • "I'd like the dashboard to be improved. It could be a bit more customizable."

What other advice do I have?

We're a customer and an end-user. We use the latest version of the product. I'd advise those considering the solution that Sophos' security solution is highly synchronized, very secure, and provides comprehensive security. I'd like them to know that it has enhanced and very detailed and sophisticated functionality, which is really easy to use, easy to deploy, and very user-friendly. It is a product that I would highly recommend for any organization that needs to comprehensively secure its infrastructure. I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten.
Israel Caravantes
CIO LATAM at i-Track Systems Development, S.A. de C.V.
Reseller
Great cost benefits, reliable, easy to set up, and scalable

What is our primary use case?

We implement different security solutions. We also integrate the different environments and secure them, based on the customer's needs. Our customers are from banking or financial institutions, insurance institutions, telecommunication companies, advocacy companies, construction companies, and retail companies.

• "The most valuable feature of this solution is that the license offers everything."
  • "It is complicated to get the reports if you are not experienced with Sophos."

What other advice do I have?

We try to sell some cloud services but in Mexico, customers are not familiar with the cloud services yet. We are starting to grow, but it is very common that customers prefer services on-premises. We do not only plan for the sales, but we also plan with the customers and their growth, and how we are going to increase their services. We also consider what will be selling to the customers in the next three years. We plan with the customer, as well. When we sell a firewall, it is not for sale for right now, it's for sale for long-term use. We build long-term relationships with our clients. My…
TG
Chairman at BASL
Excellent integration with the Sophos firewall and has a user-friendly interface

What is our primary use case?

I use the solution as my endpoint firewall and at the same time, I use it for load balancing and spillover.

• "I like the fact that it can self remove malware and do updates on the cloud via Sophos Central."
  • "On reports, they sometimes give a summary, but it lists different users as unknown. There are times that I really want to know which user or which IP is causing a problem."

What other advice do I have?

Once you have basic networking skills and firewall management it's easy to set up. With Sophos Central, I think it's a good solution for any IT department. I would rate the solution eight out of ten. As it is now, the solution is good, but I believe that there's still room for more improvement. I still believe the reporting could be improved. Sophos, from my experience, seems to affect my bandwidth. I didn't set any limit, so I don't know where that is coming from, but it's something that we've noticed with the XG.
See 91 more Sophos XG Reviews
Product Categories
Firewalls
Download our free Sophos XG Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.