SOTI MobiControl OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

SOTI MobiControl is #7 ranked solution in top Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) tools. IT Central Station users give SOTI MobiControl an average rating of 8 out of 10. SOTI MobiControl is most commonly compared to Microsoft Intune:SOTI MobiControl vs Microsoft Intune. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 24% of all views.
What is SOTI MobiControl?

SOTI MobiControl, our award-winning mobility management solution provides the ability to securely manage mobile devices and connected peripherals, applications, content, and email. With MobiControl's advanced security and management features, businesses have granular control of how mobile devices are used for business, and how data is accessed to ensure sensitive corporate information is kept in authorized hands only.

SOTI MobiControl was previously known as MobiControl.

Download the Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

SOTI MobiControl Customers

Citizen Mexico, Sanctuary Housing, PENINSULA HOTELS, East Orange High School, Andrews Distributing, Amey Plc, American Airlines

SOTI MobiControl Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about SOTI MobiControl pricing:
  • "SOTI is fairly priced. It's not super expensive. If you have a thousand devices that are licensed, it's going to start climbing up in price. Typically, it's like 25 bucks a seat for a year."
  • "Its pricing policy is not stable. The licensing is on a one-yearly, two-yearly, or three-yearly basis. There is no monthly fee."
  • "There are no costs in addition to the standard licensing fees."

SOTI MobiControl Reviews

CG
Account Manager at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
Effective mobile device management and high visibility using the main dashboard

• "SOTI's most valuable feature has to be mobile device management and visibility through the main console. There's a central dashboard that you can use to monitor the devices and keep track of usage, battery consumption, and battery life."
  • "Companies like SOTI and Mobile Iron are working with Google to help them manage these devices and eliminate the use of bar code scanner sales and mobile device sales. That's kind of crazy."

What is our primary use case?

SOTI is mainly used for managing mobile devices, like laptops, mobile barcode scanners, and mobile printers. It's used for security, OS updates, and monitoring.

What is most valuable?

SOTI's most valuable feature has to be mobile device management and visibility through the main console. There's a central dashboard that you can use to monitor the devices and keep track of usage, battery consumption, and battery life. So at the beginning of a shift, a client can look at all the places that just logged on and see how many of them have bad batteries. For example, if you see batteries that just came off a charger but they are under 80% charge when they should be fully recharged. They've also got a couple of new products. They have a software development app called SOTI Snap that lets users create Android applications

SOTI has a ticketing solution as well for help desk requests from different departments. They can track, take photos and generate new requests, then follow up on old requests. They can obviously close requests that have been fully managed and taken care of.

What needs improvement?

Companies like SOTI and Mobile Iron are working with Google to help them manage these devices and eliminate the use of bar code scanner sales and mobile device sales. That's kind of crazy. The majority of the devices that we sell use Android OS. With the latest versions of Android that are coming out, like 10 and 11, you have to have MDM software to register devices with Google. You can't get them online without going through an MDM, it's kind of this funny new aspect of Android, and it's all designed so they can control all their Android devices in the future. With the way things are licensed and the direction that Android and Google are going, they're trying to eliminate old legacy devices.

There's no way to stop that unless you control the licensing. So if a company buys a hundred new devices, they have to register with Google. Once they're registered, if a new company tries to sell those hundred devices five years later and another company tries to register the devices, Google can shut them down and say that they're not authorized to relicense this product

I've been using SOTI for about 15 years.

SOTI seems to be stable.

I believe SOTI is scalable. There are big corporations out there — companies with upwards of 4,000 cell phones that they need to manage — using it. From what I understand, SOTI handles that volume very well.

SOTI tech support is solid.

Setup is easy for the on-prem. For transitions to the cloud, it can take two days to get everything converted up and uploaded into the cloud. We just did one recently and there weren't any problems. It switched over from on-prem to cloud pretty seamlessly.

Customers can achieve some cost savings using SOTI. For example, SOTI can keep track of things like data consumption and roaming. Say there's a truck driver out on the road playing Pandora over his phone and it's adding up all these roaming charges to the company, they can get the data on stuff like that, then configure the devices to not allow roaming.

SOTI is fairly priced. It's not super expensive. If you have a thousand devices that are licensed, it's going to start climbing up in price. Typically, it's like 25 bucks a seat for a year. There is also is a maintenance cost to it. It's like seven bucks for tech support. So it's right around 30 dollars on average per seat.

Out of all the alternatives, SOTI is definitely the mobile device management software that we recommend. There is a handful of them out there — Mobile Iron, Avanti, and AirWatch—  and it seems like the majority of people are using SOTI over the other ones. A lot of people use the other ones as well, but it does seem like SOTI is the leader in that field.

The owners of this company are seasoned wireless guys that have been doing this for 20 years and SOTI is all we sell. When we come up against a customer that has AirWatch, we've sold them on the benefits of SOTI over the other types of software and transitioned them to using SOTI rather than the other competitors.

What other advice do I have?

I would give SOTI a solid eight out of 10.

SB
CTO at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
Offers thousands of features, has a straightforward installation and is stable

• "The installation is very straightforward."
  • "It would be helpful if the product offered more integration and more features around the iOS and macOS platforms."

What is our primary use case?

We can use the solution for everything. We are compliant with everything - whether it's MDM, EMM, EUM, whether it's for managing applications, concepts, access, et cetera. SOTI Mobicontrol has a part of the answer for all of these requirements.

What is most valuable?

Mobicontrol offers hundreds, if not thousands, of features on the same platform. Everything is available and on the platform and covers so many possible use cases.

Mobicontrol is a very large platform for managing devices. It's cross-platform, and therefore you can use it with everything from Android to Windows Mobile, to Linux, to IoT, et cetera. We can manage everything with ease.

There is remote control capability, which is very straightforward and you can access it without any configuration. We have hardware control over the device as if it's in the palm of your hands.

You have different options for application deployments, whether it's directly using a package from the Play Store, or from the App Store.

The installation is very straightforward.

The platform is very user friendly. It's the best user experience there is on the market at this moment. That's my understanding based on the feedback I get from our customers here in the region. We had many customers using other solutions and they switched to SOTI Mobicontrol.

What needs improvement?

There are complexities around networking and how to configure Mobicontrol into a network with the security requirements, et cetera.

SOTI is currently making changes to the platform to simplify it further for an even better user experience.

It would be helpful if the product offered more integration and more features around the iOS and macOS platforms.

I've been dealing with the solution since 2016. It's been about 4 years at this point. It's been a while.

The solution is very stable. From my side, I haven't heard of clients having any issues. It's reliable.

Whether the client chooses a cloud or on-premises deployment model, they can scale it. That is not a problem at all.

Worldwide, the solution has more than 20,000 users.

Technical support is worldwide and is available 24/7. It's available in all regions and in different languages. We have also different options, such as standard support or enterprise support with a technical account manager. Each customer can choose the options that best fit their requirements. So far, we've been satisfied with the level of service on offer.

The installation is very straight forward if it's on-premises. Many customers are doing the installation by themselves due to the fact that it is so easy. The complex part is more about networking and how they can configure Mobicontrol in their network with the security requirements and everything. However, if you are talking about the installation itself, it's straightforward.

If we have all the different teams available, for example, for security and infrastructure, we can deploy this solution in one day. It really depends, as in some structures we need a security team just to open a network. It can take days, or hours to confirm and validate this point. It really depends on the customer and its structure. However, if we have everything available, all ports open, we have the infrastructure available for it, we can do this in one day at most.

Usually, there is one person from the SOTI side that can assist.

If a customer would like, they can have an engineer from SOTI assist in the implementation process.

The licensing works on a subscription basis.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a representative of SOTI Mobicontrol in my region. I'm representing the sales engineering departments in the region, in Africa.

We use both cloud and on-premises deployment models.

I would recommend the solution to other organizations.

Overall, I would rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about SOTI, VMware, Microsoft and others in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM). Updated: November 2021.
555,139 professionals have used our research since 2012.
NB
Director and General Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Stable, scalable, and useful for preventing the use of unauthorized software, but needs better pricing policy and implementation for Windows devices

• "All features are useful. It is useful for preventing the use of unauthorized software on corporate-owned devices. It provides an option to lock the devices for unauthorized software. The devices can only be used under the supervision of the device manager."
  • "The pricing policy of SOTI is not stable. You buy it today at one price, and the following year, it becomes something like 5% or 7% higher. From my point of view, SOTI is a little bit weak in terms of implementation on the new Windows 10 devices, and they have to work on this. It can't compete with Intune and other solutions when it comes to Windows implementation. It almost doesn't work with iOS. It works well with Android."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider, and we provide the SOTI solution for our customers. We have around 40,000 devices deployed on it. Normally, it is deployed on-cloud, but we also have some on-premises implementations.

It is mainly used for supervising devices such as Android and Windows mobile devices. It is used for asset management and configuration management as well as for authorizing the use of specific software in a device.

What is most valuable?

All features are useful. It is useful for preventing the use of unauthorized software on corporate-owned devices. It provides an option to lock the devices and specify authorized or not software. The device configuration is then used under the supervision of the device admin.

What needs improvement?

The pricing policy of SOTI is not stable. You buy it today at one price, and the following year, it becomes something like 5% or 7% higher.

From my point of view, SOTI is a little bit weak in terms of implementation on the new Windows 10 devices, and they have to work on this.

It can't compete with Intune and other solutions when it comes to Windows implementation. It's work well with iOS and Android.

We have five years of experience with this solution.

The platform is stable. There are no issues with the stability of the platform.

It is scalable. We are satisfied with its scalability because we can start at 100 devices. I have some customers who have 10 or 15 times more devices over time, and the platform is responding quite well. The service behind is on the cloud, and it is quite good.

When you subscribe to enterprise support or high-level support, they respond well.

The initial setup is easy for us because we have a specialist engineer. Otherwise, it is not so user friendly. You need an experienced engineer and some knowledge to deploy this solution, especially if it is a complex configuration.

Its pricing policy is not stable. The licensing is on a one-yearly, two-yearly, or three-yearly basis. There is no monthly fee.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. We are a solution provider, and we recommend the SOTI solution each time we have a request. It is a stable product, and there is no real technical issue.

I would rate SOTI MobiControl a seven out of ten.

Private Cloud

AH
Senior Analyst Service Management at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
A simple initial setup with great remote control and good troubleshooting

• "The remote control we have helps us a lot."
  • "The solution could use better reporting."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to support all of our mobile devices.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution helps us streamline our deployments and troubleshooting. There is just a lot of time saved from avoiding downtime. The troubleshooting and deployment is a great time-saver as well.

What is most valuable?

The remote control we have helps us a lot.

The solution offers great troubleshooting capabilities. This aspect saves us a lot of time and keeps us from having to instead get products shipped back to us.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

What needs improvement?

The look and feel of the dashboard could be improved. I'm used to the old dashboard. The new dashboard has more steps involved just to get to the information we need. They need to streamline it or align it more with the older version which actually worked better.

The solution could use better reporting.

I have been working with the solution for a long time. It's probably been about ten to 15 years at this point.

The solution is pretty stable. We haven't had issues with crashes. There aren't bugs or glitches. It's good.

The scalability is really great. If a company needs to expand it, they can do so easily. There shouldn't be any problem at all.

We have about 10,000 users on this product and they vary from customer service to ramp agents to baggage agents. The solution has various use cases, so there's a variety of users on it.

Technical support is excellent. They are knowledgeable and responsive. I'd rate them as excellent - a full ten out of ten in terms of the service we've received.

I just came on board and the company was already using the solution. It's the only product I've ever used for these purposes.

The initial setup is not complex. It's really straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

We have a business partnership with SOTI.

This is a pretty decent product. I'd recommend other organizations to check it out.

On a scale from one to ten, I'd rate the solution at a nine.

Private Cloud
MM
Head Of Information Technology at a outsourcing company with 201-500 employees
Simple to set up with good visibility and remote access features

• "The most valuable features are visibility and remote access."
  • "There is room for improvement when it comes to the ability to customize devices and choosing what information goes onto them."

What is our primary use case?

This solution is installed on all of our devices in the current work-from-home scenario.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are visibility and remote access.

There is a built-in antivirus, although it is not currently available for Windows.

What needs improvement?

Hopefully, the anti-virus will be available for Windows in the future.

We are currently evaluating SOTI MobiControl as a proof of concept.

This is a pretty stable product.

The scalability is good. Everybody in our company will be using it, which is a couple of hundred people.

We have had experience with technical support and we are satisfied with it.

This is the first product of this type that we have used.

The initial setup is fairly simple. It took us about two weeks to develop a package and roll it out to a set number of devices.

We completed our deployment through an integrator.

There is a team of three of us who are responsible for maintenance.

There are no costs in addition to the standard licensing fees.

We looked at the other offerings that were on the market and chose this one for our proof of concept. We chose it because it is a standalone product and it seems better in terms of granularity. We are happy with it and plan to expand our usage.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is a pretty good product and I like that it is standalone. When you look at other offerings from vendors such as Microsoft and Google, they are built-in. This might initially appear cheaper but they lack a little bit in terms of granularity.

RM
IT Support Manager at a wholesaler/distributor with 201-500 employees
User-friendly, great support, and the remote control and geo-fencing capabilities are helpful

• "The most valuable features are remote control and geo-fencing."
  • "Adding more features for iOS devices would be an improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We manage approximately 200 devices that are used in inventory management. This includes RF guns, as well as small tablets where you can capture signatures.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are remote control and geo-fencing.

The interface is user-friendly, once you get used to it.

What needs improvement?

Adding more features for iOS devices would be an improvement.

I found that there's a learning curve to kind of poke around and get used to the dashboard. Otherwise, it is pretty user-friendly.

WE have been using SOTI MobiControl for five years.

We have had some bugs in the time that we have used it, but their support group has been helpful in resolving some of those issues.

We have grown over time. Initially, we had maybe 100 licenses, and we have grown to 250 licenses. I think that next year, we'll probably reach 400 licenses.

We have a couple of dozen people who use it.

Technical support is great, and we have found them to be helpful.

The initial setup is straightforward. It took three or four months to deploy.

Our deployment was completed by an in-house team.

We have always evaluated other options just to see how other people are using SOTI and MobiControl, as well as to see what's new out there. There is always a question of whether we should stick with it, or should we be looking at something else.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is a good product and I recommend it.

Abbasi Poonawala
Vice President Derivatives Ops IT at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Enables us to do auto patch updates and handles a good amount of endpoints

• "We can do auto patch updates using SOTI. SOTI has been well placed in terms of the number of endpoints it can handle."
  • "In the next release, they should make it easier to migrate."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to build patch management to use one particular tool. We can do auto patch updates using SOTI. SOTI has been well placed in terms of the number of endpoints it can handle.

What needs improvement?

In terms of the migration from AirWatch to SOTI, we had a specific use case to migrate. If there was already an existing setup on VMware Workspace ONE AirWatch, we had to figure out how to set it up or realign it on SOTI. It is a good feature but still needs to be improved in terms of the number of new devices to which it can reconfigure.

There is a limitation if you want to migrate from the AirWatch to SOTI.

I have been using SOTI MobiControl for a year.

SOTI is both stable and scalable. We use it for 7,000 iPads.

SOTI has good technical support. They have offices with Canada-based companies and offices across different geographies. So their support is spaced out in different time zones.

We will continue to use SOTI because the cost is cheaper than VMware Workspace ONE AirWatch.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend SOTI.

I would rate it an eight out of ten. In the next release, they should make it easier to migrate.

NC
Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Very reliable, excellent support, and easy to deploy

What is our primary use case?

We are a reseller as well as a user of this solution.

What is most valuable?

It is very reliable, and their support is excellent.

What needs improvement?

Its user interface needs to be improved.

I have been using this solution for seven years.

It is very stable and very reliable.

I would rate their support as excellent. I would rate them a ten out of ten.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

It is a matter of hours. It is done within a day, and then it is handled mostly by SOTI or the manufacturer, whatever you want to call them.

What about the

What is our primary use case?

We are a reseller as well as a user of this solution.

What is most valuable?

It is very reliable, and their support is excellent.

What needs improvement?

Its user interface needs to be improved.

I have been using this solution for seven years.

It is very stable and very reliable.

I would rate their support as excellent. I would rate them a ten out of ten.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

We did it ourselves. We are the integrator and the consultants in this matter, but we have our own cloud.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it an eight out of 10 because there is still some room for improvement, mainly for the user interface.