Spiceworks Overview

Spiceworks is the #4 ranked solution in our list of top IT Asset Management tools. It is most often compared to Zabbix: Spiceworks vs Zabbix

What is Spiceworks?
From network inventory and network monitoring to help desk software, and mobile device management (MDM) to cloud services detection, Spiceworks helps you manage everything about your IT workday from one easy place.

Download the IT Infrastructure Monitoring Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

Spiceworks Customers
Broward Center for the Performing Arts, Symantec, Webroot, EMC, Pertino
Spiceworks Video

NM
Interim Director of Information Technology at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
Has good policy enforcement but the network mapping could be improved

What is our primary use case?

My primary use is for documentation and monitoring the vital services. My biggest need for using a network monitoring system was to track activity and find out what I've actually got out in the universe. When I came here, I had absolutely no documentation on this network whatsoever, and that's an 875 node network.

• "It shows the users that are currently logged in, which is not something that Active Directory by default will ever let you know up front."
  • "The network mapping could be improved. Putting together an actual bonafide network map would be really nice."

What other advice do I have?

It's a pretty good product. I like it. It's given me some fairly valuable information that I've needed on a couple of occasions that no other product would present to me. On a scale of one to ten, I'd probably give it a seven, based on the fact that it does give me some information that nothing else has. But the pain points like the length of duration for the discovery, the GIS mapping, the ability to map is kind of lackluster takes the three points away.
Ian MacFarlane
Technical Account Manager at On_Serve
Monitors printers for low toner but it's not agent-based

What is our primary use case?

Spiceworks is for the IT guy that wants to monitor systems that he doesn't have a managed service partner behind him. And that's where Spiceworks has a really good place.

• "The nice thing about Spiceworks is always it's free. Monitoring of printers for low toner. Finding machines that have low memory or low hard disk space."
  • "There are a lot of disadvantages to Spiceworks because it's not an agent-based solution."

What other advice do I have?

So Spiceworks would have an even more market share if they had a paid subscription model because you could turn off all the advertising that pops up all the time. But I think in general, I would give it a seven on a scale of ten compared to some of the other mid-tier stuff.
Find out what your peers are saying about Spiceworks, Zabbix, Nagios and others in IT Infrastructure Monitoring. Updated: July 2021.
522,946 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Lewis Anderson
Senior IT Support at ProCook
Good inventory and helpdesk functionality

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use this solution for the Spiceworks Inventory system, as well as for helpdesk-related stuff. I have used it to find information to fix various issues.

• "The most valuable features are the inventory and personalization."
  • "Having an integrated asset management tool, where I can plug in things that are offline, would be good."

What other advice do I have?

Spiceworks is a system that I recommend for both inventory and helpdesk, although it is good in its entirety. Other than support for integrated asset management, I cannot think of additional features that I would require. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
Mohamed  Abdelwahab
IT Project Team Leader at Egyptian Fertilizers Company
Great asset management features in a free solution that's easy to set up

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for asset management of our asset collection.

• "The solution is very stable. It's reliable and efficient."
  • "I would like the solution to allow for more direct interaction with computers. I can open tickets and I can see their status, but I can't interact directly with the computers themselves."

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment solution. I would rate the solution nine out of ten.
WaelQenawy
Senior Customer Relations Manager at Qootco
A stable solution with a straightforward setup and excellent technical support

What is our primary use case?

We're primarily using the solution so that we have all of the information about our IT assets, and network management. Spiceworks has good tools for that.

• "The solution can find all asset details automatically, whether it's a Mac address, computer name, IP address, models, etc. It's very helpful."
  • "It would be nice to have remote access to the solution via a tablet. They also need remote control from a PC. Right now, to complete the technical support process, you have to have a tool to access the PC, and check the problems."

What other advice do I have?

We're using the community edition of the solution. I would rate the solution nine out of ten.