Spiceworks Overview

Spiceworks is the #7 ranked solution in our list of top Help Desk Software. It is most often compared to Zabbix: Spiceworks vs Zabbix

What is Spiceworks?
From network inventory and network monitoring to help desk software, and mobile device management (MDM) to cloud services detection, Spiceworks helps you manage everything about your IT workday from one easy place.

Download the IT Infrastructure Monitoring Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

Spiceworks Customers
Broward Center for the Performing Arts, Symantec, Webroot, EMC, Pertino
Spiceworks Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Director of Technology at a educational organization with 501-1,000 employees
​We are able to escalate tickets, or shuffle tickets via e-mail, instead of having to login at a location to route things.

• "Tickets by e-mail, with actions by hastag."
  • "The SNMP sniffer requires a lot of work to get right."

What other advice do I have?

Take the time to set up the SNMP agents to match up with the hardware you know you have on your network. It is a really great tool when it comes time to inventory or track equipment uptime/age.
Spiceworks Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
The stability of the program is remarkably good, but it gets bogged down in an enterprise environment with over 2000 endpoints.

• "Helpdesk and inventory are both equally valuable, and they form the true core of the product."
  • "They've also tried to integrate it with social logins, like Twitter and LinkedIn, and that type of login authentication has no place in a corporate application."

What other advice do I have?

If you're a one-man IT shop, or the accidental IT pro (the CEO's cousin that hooked up an Xbox that one time and now you're in charge of 45 users), get some training on the product. Use the free stuff online at the very least. The same goes for the large IT shops with over people in the team. If you're in the latter position, get your company to hire someone to help with the install, especially for those larger environments. You'll be glad you did!
Find out what your peers are saying about Spiceworks, Zabbix, Nagios and others in IT Infrastructure Monitoring. Updated: May 2021.
501,151 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Network Manager / Senior Network Engineer at Warnock, Tanner & Associates
As a centralized helpdesk solution, it's been a huge success for our account and IT managers in tracking open tickets, but I need a more powerful reporting tool.

What other advice do I have?

This is not a true managed service product as many might think at first glance. This product is awesome for help desk, inventory, purchasing and some monitoring. If you are looking for a full managed service product you will need to keep moving to a different solution such as LabTech.
Info Sec Consultant at Size 41 Digital
ExpertTop 5
Charities and IT monitoring
The one thing charities often do not have  - vast amounts of disposable income for IT. In fact, they often don't have tiny amounts of income for IT. For some charities, they will have no budget at all. This can impact all aspects of IT. I've experienced expiring licensing, dodgy to non existent patching, ropey security...to name but a few things that kept me up at night. Okay, yes, this can happen anywhere, but it is very often present in charities <2mil. How does this relate to Spiceworks? Spiceworks is a system monitoring tool that has a wealth of community created add-ons that can especially help organisations with limited funds to ensure their mission critical systems are running well. It is written in Ruby-on-Rails and specifically designed for Microsoft Windows. In 2013, Spiceworks…
Systems Administrator at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
​Tracking common issues has been improved.​​

Valuable Features

Network Helpdesk

Improvements to My Organization

Tracking common issues has been improved.

Room for Improvement

I don't really use anything besides the free stuff so I can't say. It does, however, require help-desk and minor server/firewall config XP experience to set up.

Use of Solution

I've used it for two years.

There have been no issues with the deployment.

There have been no issues with its stability.

There have been no issues scaling it.

Customer Service: I've never had to contact them. Technical Support: I've never had to contact them.

It's straightforward, anybody with help-desk and minor server/firewall config XP could…
Advanced Service Desk Agent at a transportation company with 501-1,000 employees
To be honest, it is better than nothing, but my experience gives me bad feedback for this product. This product is probably very good for a small structure.

What is most valuable?

The price, as it's free.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

In our environment, no real improvement. This product is probably very good for a small structure.

Personally more than one year, but my company has used it for three years.

No deployment is needed. Installation when you don’t have a problem is really easy.

Yes, too many. We tried it on a VM, but we had to reboot every 2 days. We migrated it on a real server, new installation, etc., but despite the fact that the server…
IT Manager at a non-profit with 51-200 employees
We use a Dymo labeller to print both a bar-code and a QR code that links back to the Spiceworks URL for that device.

What other advice do I have?

The Spiceworks community is a great value add. It certainly helps our team to keep tabs on the industry as a whole. I encourage IT veterans and newbies alike to join and participate.
Research Associate at a media company with 51-200 employees
We set it up for use by different departments that had specific tracking needs and were able to meet those needs.​ It couldn't scale for our company.

What other advice do I have?

It worked for what we needed it to do (short term at least) and had good customization, but in the end it wasn't the right fit for our organization. Perform a lot of testing.
Starlan Consulting Services at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
The most valuable features are change management and inventory. There are too many security and resource issues.

What is most valuable?

Change management Inventory

What needs improvement?

It's got great potential, but too many security and resource issues. It needs lower resource consumption at the workstation level, reduced network traffic, better device discovery and identification.

We've used it since 2009.

There were issues with the deployment.

There were issues with the stability.

There were issues with the scalability.

Customer Service: Pretty good, but some issues were unresolvable. Technical Support: Pretty good, but…
System and Network Administrator at a manufacturing company with 51-200 employees
It has improved response times to staff as well as providing an audit trail. I would like to see an easier means to customize the user interface.

What other advice do I have?

Spiceworks does wonders for a free product. It’s ad supported, so watch for that. It is also flexible and customizable and probably does everything you need. Support is great, and that frankly was a surprise.
CIO at a marketing services firm with 51-200 employees
The ease of using the ticketing system has formalized or project and process work.

What other advice do I have?

Considering this is AdWare this is a very good product with all the right tools for a medium sized IT department. I would recommend it for any IT department that has less than 20 members.
Interim IT Manager at a hospitality company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Active directory support ensures you can import all of your users, and easily scan your AD assets.

What other advice do I have?

Being a free product, it’s really hard to criticize, as it has many excellent features, such as inventory with asset scanning, purchase tracking and the ability to add plug-in’s created by the Spiceworks community that can add even more functionality. Ultimately, we stopped using Spiceworks, as a new IT Director came on board and we decided to move to a product that supported change management and could conform to ITIL v3 standards. Spiceworks is a great, free product. Any IT department that doesn't have a solid help-desk/knowledge-base solution would be amiss not to implement it.
IT Support and Development at a local government with 51-200 employees
It provides a centralized system through which all IT requests are funnelled, with requests being auto-assigned a ticket number.

What other advice do I have?

There are other free ticketing platforms available out there. Keep in mind, however, if the network discovery, inventory, of your endpoint and software is critical, then Spiceworks may be best suited for your needs.
Technal Support Specialist Contractor at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
We reduced the possibility of missed communication that is related to tickets.

What other advice do I have?

I was not the one managing the system, I didn't have the chance to see the software version. If you want an all in one solution for your IT to support your company, Spiceworks has a nice built in integrated system. And since it’s web based, it will work on any platform, even mobile.
IT freelancer/consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
It provides the ability to generate custom, very detailed and on-demand or scheduled asset inventory reports.

What other advice do I have?

Be aware that Spiceworks free tier is an ad driven product, but you can remove ads for a reasonable monthly fee if needed.
Senior Infrastructure Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The development is regular and updates happen often.

What other advice do I have?

Spiceworks gives you a very good but basic help desk platform that is easy to implement and use. The development is regular and updates happen often. They are constantly adding features and making the product better.
System Administrator - Backup & Storage Specialist at METRO SYSTEMS Romania
After the software got deployed incident management became much faster, easier and more organized.

What other advice do I have?

If you've got a small to medium sized company (<500 employees and <500 network objects) than this software can really cut time for some of your Help Desk and even Sys Admin operations and optimize Incident Management in your team.
Help Desk Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
It helps track, priorities, knowledge base and manage the incoming tickets from customers and inside projects. Most problems are the system bugs and slowness.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise you to install the program on the company cloud server and keep a daily backup.
IT Support Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
We're now able to provide logs during an IT audit and we can monitor network activity in real time, but online devices sometimes appear in our dashboard as offline.

What other advice do I have?

* Consider the needs of your organization - if you are looking for a product to implement in your company, you really need to consider if the product is what you really need, or if it is really satisfying your requirements * Consider the cost - it’s important to consider if how much you are willing to spend for the product * Consider the technical support – the best technical support is free and with experienced people, With this software, most of the users in the community are using it in their own organization.
Systems and Messaging Administrator at a wholesaler/distributor with 1,001-5,000 employees
It keeps our tickets and workflow in order.

What is most valuable?

The ticketing system.

How has it helped my organization?

Keeps our tickets and workflow in order.

What needs improvement?

Can’t think of any off the top of my head. Product works well as is.

I've used it for five years.

No issues yet.

I haven’t needed any customer service.

This was the first product we used.

I wasn't involved in the setup.

What about the implementation

Infrastructure Engineer at a non-profit with 501-1,000 employees
​The feature we use the most is the help desk portal.

What other advice do I have?

Spiceworks is very easy to install and configure generally. I would advise giving it space on a server to do its thing. Running the service as local system on the server is also better than giving it its own dedicated account.
Sr. Desktop Engineer at a manufacturing company with 51-200 employees
The best features for me are software/hardware management tools, windows critical updates monitoring, and the ease of setup and use.

What other advice do I have?

Its perfect for a start-up/small/medium company where you are trying to get the most out of a software package with as little cost as possible; and how can you go wrong with a free, stable and very useful software?
IT Systems Administrator & Infomation Security Officer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
It's simple, with a straightforward configuration, help desk features and a big and helpful community.

What other advice do I have?

Considering the fact that this is a free product, all you can get from this software is Improvement in the way you organization operates and how your clients perceive you. Try Spiceworks, you won’t regret it. It’s simple, it won’t give you headaches during configurations and you can even add your coffee machine in the inventory.
Enterpise Business Systems Engineer (Lead Network Systems and Security Engineer) at a mining and metals company with 1,001-5,000 employees
​The inventory management is very helpful and works quit well. It is missing some functionality that is needed in a mid-size to large business.

What other advice do I have?

If you are planning on using Spiceworks as you core ticketing solution make sure it will scale to your business needs. I feel the product is good for inventory and simple help desk, I lacks in speed and in the fact that there is no Change Control peace of the ticketing system. On other thing is we have experienced issues with the software hanging up, we have try multiple things to stop this with no avail. It is missing some functionality that is needed in a Mid-size to large business.
Network Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
It's easy to set-up in house. I would like to see the help desk product be more stable.

What other advice do I have?

It’s fantastic because its free to use and easy to set-up in house, but it’s quite sluggish on the administrator end, but considering its free you cannot complain.
Network Administrator at a construction company with 501-1,000 employees
It has allowed a free option of scanning our networks to provide an inventory. It still lacks some basic features that other systems have such as limiting the view of queues to certain techs.

What other advice do I have?

This product is definitely a great start for a ticketing system at an organization, particular for small to medium size teams. I would not consider Spiceworks as enterprise level yet though as a ticketing solution
Group IT Director at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It's given us a foundation on which to build release and service management, but integration to social and collaborative tools could use improvement.

What other advice do I have?

Have a good understanding of what you need and for your IT strategy. Focus on service management, train in service management then implement this tool.
Technical Analyst at a real estate/law firm with 501-1,000 employees
Using it as a basic ticketing system has helped us organize issues and prioritize, but it could be more robust.

What is most valuable?

Ticketing system Freeware Network scanning

How has it helped my organization?

We use it as a basic ticketing system, which has helped us organize issues and prioritize. Also, it has helped in assigning tickets and tracing accountability.

What needs improvement?

The ticketing system could be more robust, more like a service desk.

I've used it for two to three years.

No issues encountered.

No issues encountered. It runs in minimal resources.

There are slight issues, but it scales well for the most part.

How are

ICT Technician at The Godolphin School
It has made the process of getting support to end users quicker, but I'd like to be able to remove some of the default actions that are in the drop down menu of the tickets.

What other advice do I have?

As mentioned above if you are a small – medium sized company then I would use Spiceworks.
IT Director at a legal firm with 501-1,000 employees
This also works as a KB and an alarm system, but I couldn't monitor our Exchange or SQL servers.
System Administrator/Technology Coordinator at a non-tech company with 501-1,000 employees
I've found inventory management to be valuable in tracking serial numbers of machines on our network, but everything on a Mac network must be manually entered.

What other advice do I have?

It's the only way to go as far as inventory systems go.
IT Developer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Popular
The main dashboard is completely configurable, but performance can be slow on larger networks.
I have used Spiceworks for the purpose of network monitoring and management, while it also gives options for PC inventory and reporting software reporting. I was just trying out a lot of various options out there before sticking to one for my purposes like Zabbix and Nagios. I ended up choosing an option other than Spiceworks, not because it was not a good option, but because the other option(s) fit my needs better (the others being Zabbix and PRTG).  Spiceworks have a lot of things working for its favor as mentioned below: Pros Fast installation Main dashboard completely configurable Easy to use monitoring console Active user community, with forums, ratings and reviews, how-tos and whitepapers Free Easy to install and configure for Windows environments “All in one” solution for…
IT Service Provider at a university with 51-200 employees
Good ticketing and network management solution.

Valuable Features

Ticketing, reports, technician user management.

Improvements to My Organization

It has increased the productivity of our IT department by speeding up service requests and managing and organizing them.

Room for Improvement

The network inventory feature.

Use of Solution

Four years

Spiceworks is easily scalable in both in-house and remote location systems.

Customer Service: 10/10Technical Support: 10/10

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

It is free.
IT Manager at a construction company with 51-200 employees
An easy to setup and use IT inventory tracking and help desk ticketing system

What other advice do I have?

When I moved from a large organization to a small SMB, I missed our tools that did IT inventory management and help desk ticketing. SpiceWorks has done an excellent job at filling that gap at a near zero cost. It's not perfect but it gives me great visibility into what's happening on the systems on my network and gives me the ability to track and report on IT-related issues. I'm very impressed with the product and highly recommend it to those that don't have a budget for IT inventory control and help desk software.
IT Security Professional at a energy/utilities company with 501-1,000 employees
Great service desk with a strong community of users, but its monitoring tools could be better.