Splunk Insights for Infrastructure Overview

Splunk Insights for Infrastructure is the #13 ranked solution in our list of Infrastructure Monitoring tools. It is most often compared to PRTG Network Monitor: Splunk Insights for Infrastructure vs PRTG Network Monitor

What is Splunk Insights for Infrastructure?

Splunk Insights for Infrastructure is a new monitoring product from Splunk that unifies metrics and logs to do performance management and troubleshooting. It takes minutes to set up and for small environments, it's free (up to 200 GB of storage, which is about 50 servers).

Splunk Insights for Infrastructure is also known as Splunk Insights.

Splunk Insights for Infrastructure Buyer's Guide

Download the Splunk Insights for Infrastructure Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

Splunk Insights for Infrastructure Customers

Entrust Datacard

Splunk Insights for Infrastructure Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Splunk Insights for Infrastructure pricing:
  • "The product is a bit expensive considering the competition but the company may negotiate the price."
  • "This is an expensive solution."

RG
CEO with 11-50 employees
Evaluates the logs in an efficient way which enhances utility and efficiency

What is our primary use case?

For us, we use this product to create a special kind of log. It just logs everything for what it is monitoring and does the parsing afterward based on a packet that you impose on the logs. Then you can extract the data out of the fields that the logs normally comprised of. Typically, people just monitor applications, network infrastructure, and compliance.

• "The tool is efficient in collecting, monitoring and evaluating logs."
  • "The product collects a lot of data but it does not assure that it collects all of it."

What other advice do I have?

The advice that I would give to companies considering this type of solution is that choosing the right solution all depends on what you want to do. I'd say Splunk makes more sense if you only want to have one tool or service to monitor. A lot of our infrastructure is not complex. I just put Splunk there, I collect the logs and I calculate what I need. I do that step-by-step, so it is a bit difficult as an approach when things are more complex. You want to reduce complexity when monitoring just one single service. Our business is focused on monitoring. We don't want monitoring to care about…
JP
Prinicipal Security Sales Engineer at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
Brings all events into one platform so that you don't have to hunt down multiple sources to figure out what's going on

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used as security correlation and event correlation. It's a place for all of your logs to go so that you can have all those logs co-ordinated during security events.

• "The ability to create custom dashboards is one of the best features and that's typically why most people deploy Splunk. Users can create dashboards for just about anything."
  • "The cost needs to be re-examined. It's extremely expensive to run. It's also expensive to expand. That's the number one complaint all of my customers have when it comes to Splunk. It's way too expensive compared to other solutions."

What other advice do I have?

We're a Splunk partner and reseller. Typically, the solution is on-prem for the most part because it requires a very heavy lift in storage and the storage is very expensive. Most companies deploy it on-premise and then add on the cloud solution as well later on. I'd warn other organizations that want to use the solution that they need to be prepared to spend a lot of money. I'd rate the solution seven out of ten due to the fact that it's extremely complex to run and deploy.
Learn what your peers think about Splunk Insights for Infrastructure. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
511,307 professionals have used our research since 2012.
RP
Security Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Enables the engineers to troubleshoot any issues happening but it is lacking in features

What is our primary use case?

Splunk sends security alerts. It's being used on two levels. One for the analysis of the data by the data scientists. Two, for the engineers to troubleshoot if there are any issues happening, like any security bugs, or anything that needs to be addressed and never mediated across.

• "We haven't really experienced any glitches or bugs."
  • "They do not have all the features that I expect right now."

What other advice do I have?

As a newbie, I wouldn't prefer Splunk. The reason being that it's a completely enterprise-grade solution. As a startup, you don't implement Splunk for the first time. We'd put an open-source product. With us, we have many of the Italian products, which proves to be a good open-source solution. In the end, people intend to go for enterprise support for the vulnerability patching, report generation, and enterprise support. People go for licensing based on that. I wouldn't refer any newbies to go for a weak enterprise-grade solution as they barge into any technology. I would rate Splunk a seven…
MA
Information Security Manager at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Fits specific needs for a reasonable cost

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for the product is for reporting for one of our systems. It fits a particular need for reporting so we have deployed it there.

• "The product retains a lot of log data for subsequent analysis."
  • "It does not have a user-friendly interface and it is difficult to use."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate it at around an eight. We are using it for six years now and renewing the support and the license. So you can say that we are at least reasonably happy with the product and do not have to replace it. To make the product rate higher they would have to match some of the capabilities of other products within the same category that they lack. For example, if we want to get to a feature in QRadar, we can get to it in two clicks. But with Splunk, we need to do a lot more to navigate to the features. Sometimes when we…
Shashank Gahoi
Cyber Security Consultant at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Stable with a straightforward setup that's easy to implement in-house

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for event management. We have a baseline that we monitor, and if anything goes wrong, we manage it.

• "The initial setup was straightforward. We didn't find it to be too complex."
  • "It would be useful if they provided some help pages. If you don't know too much about the tool, there should be more documentation readily available. It would be useful if they had a help button embedded in the solution so you could ask questions and get answers."

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend the solution. I'd rate it eight out of ten. I don't believe we have a business relationship with Splunk, but we do have a large number of licenses with them.
JaspreetSingh
Security Administrator at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
MSP
Great monitoring features but lacks good integration abilities

What is our primary use case?

The data from Splunk is used for network monitoring, apart from that, they are using another tool with this kind of logic as well. Splunk is not the primary tool. The database I'm using for real-time data for our client. We have only about 3-4 users on this solution.

• "Great monitoring of network devices."
  • "Splunk would be better if some tools were integrated to be able to take action on security or network concerns."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Splunk Insights for Infrastructure at a seven out of ten.
AmirJalilzadeh
Security Operation Center Analyst at Sadad
Easily gather and manage any types of logs for analysis

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for security management. We gather security logs from intrusion detection and prevention systems, such as firewalls, web application firewalls, and system logs from Linux and Windows servers, as well as anti-malware system logs. We combine them with Splunk to analyze our security level for our company. We use this data to analyze our company security situation and to define security use cases, like attacks. When we find these attacks, we contain them and mitigate our security flaws in our business environment.

• "The Add data feature lets you gather any type of log and easily analyze it."
  • "In the next release, I would like to see more integration with other solutions."

What other advice do I have?

I am not certified with Splunk, but I am a system administrator. I passed the fundamentals one and two. This is a very good solution. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
SM
Senior Network Administrator at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
Quick log searching and good reporting helps us to consolidate and track incidents

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to examine the logs and consolidate and track incidents.

• "The most valuable feature in this solution is the log searching."
  • "This solution is difficult to configure and the instructions are complex."

What other advice do I have?

This is a very good product, but my advice is that you have to be trained in order to use it, otherwise you will be lost. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
See 2 more Splunk Insights for Infrastructure Reviews
Download our free Splunk Insights for Infrastructure Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.