Splunk Insights for Infrastructure OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Splunk Insights for Infrastructure is the #11 ranked solution in our list of Infrastructure Monitoring tools. It is most often compared to PRTG Network Monitor: Splunk Insights for Infrastructure vs PRTG Network Monitor

What is Splunk Insights for Infrastructure?

Splunk Insights for Infrastructure is a new monitoring product from Splunk that unifies metrics and logs to do performance management and troubleshooting. It takes minutes to set up and for small environments, it's free (up to 200 GB of storage, which is about 50 servers).

Splunk Insights for Infrastructure is also known as Splunk Insights.

Splunk Insights for Infrastructure Buyer's Guide

Download the Splunk Insights for Infrastructure Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Splunk Insights for Infrastructure Customers

Entrust Datacard

Splunk Insights for Infrastructure Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Splunk Insights for Infrastructure pricing:
  • "This is an expensive solution."

Splunk Insights for Infrastructure Reviews

JP
Prinicipal Security Sales Engineer at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
Brings all events into one platform so that you don't have to hunt down multiple sources to figure out what's going on

• "The ability to create custom dashboards is one of the best features and that's typically why most people deploy Splunk. Users can create dashboards for just about anything."
  • "The cost needs to be re-examined. It's extremely expensive to run. It's also expensive to expand. That's the number one complaint all of my customers have when it comes to Splunk. It's way too expensive compared to other solutions."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used as security correlation and event correlation. It's a place for all of your logs to go so that you can have all those logs co-ordinated during security events.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution brings all the events into one platform so that you don't have to hunt down multiple sources to figure out what's going on.

What is most valuable?

The solution has been improving its offering for the past year. It's in constant development.

What needs improvement?

The integration of their cloud solution, which came out a couple of years ago, and the ability to now integrate Phantom, needs to be improved.

It would be ideal if there was a more automated process for finding and identifying data sources that a user wants to bring into the solution. Right now, it's all manual.

I've been selling the solution for quite a long time. I'd say I've sold it for five years. I've been involved in deployments and I've been involved in configuring it and managing it, but I don't actually use it for my company.

The solution is extremely stable. We haven't run into issues that would make us concerned.

The solution is very scalable. However, companies must be aware that expanding the solution is very expensive.

I'd rate technical support eight out of ten. They're responsive due to the fact that clients need to pay in order to access technical support.

The initial setup is not straightforward. It's quite complex.

The storage backend requires touching all of your events sources. It requires a lot of planning and configuration. It's not something you just put out there and deploy. You have to have someone who's an expert in it.

The deployment typically takes, from beginning to end, less than three months. However, it really depends. It depends upon how many log sources you have, if you have staff on-site that are capable of actually running it, or if you have to make network configuration changes, etc. There's a whole list of things that you have to go through to figure it out.

The number of people needed to deploy the solution varies upon the size of an organization and the use cases. You're going to want at least two dedicated people to deploy at a medium-sized organization.

These individuals have to understand searching and creating dashboards. They have to have network skills and security skills. There is a wide range of things they have to be a part of. Most people who become Splunk Engineers start off doing something else in their business and they learn about networking, and then security and programming. When they start to deploy Splunk, they become experts.

The solution requires the assistance of a specialist. There needs to be an expert involved to help implement it.

Licensing is paid on a yearly basis.

We work with a few different solutions. As a SIEM, there are many other solutions out there and which is best really depends upon what the company wants to achieve.  As a logging server, there really aren't any other really good solutions that compete as well with Splunk. LogLogic might be the closest.

What other advice do I have?

We're a Splunk partner and reseller.

Typically, the solution is on-prem for the most part because it requires a very heavy lift in storage and the storage is very expensive. Most companies deploy it on-premise and then add on the cloud solution as well later on.

I'd warn other organizations that want to use the solution that they need to be prepared to spend a lot of money.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten due to the fact that it's extremely complex to run and deploy.

RP
Security Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Enables the engineers to troubleshoot any issues happening but it is lacking in features

• "We haven't really experienced any glitches or bugs."
  • "They do not have all the features that I expect right now."

What is our primary use case?

Splunk sends security alerts. It's being used on two levels. One for the analysis of the data by the data scientists. Two, for the engineers to troubleshoot if there are any issues happening, like any security bugs, or anything that needs to be addressed and never mediated across.

What is most valuable?

In terms of the application performance security, application performance tooling has been a key factor for me using Splunk. We are also looking into options, like other third parties or even open-source tools that help the capturing the application performance, fine-tuning, which leads to the security aspect.

What needs improvement?

We haven't faced any problems yet. It's working as expected. We are using the enterprise-grade, strong products and we're just paying a lot for it right now.

People intend to go for automation. We are following the works process and we are inculcating the engineers to ensure everything is automated. Whatever needs to be mitigated, has to be followed up on ticketing tools, this tool would come in. It handles the issues going on and what needs to be remediated in this single tool.

We need multiple tools in order to accomplish what we need. It's kind of a medium across multiple products. It would be better if we have a dedicated tool, that takes care of the entire work process, including automation as well.

They do not have all the features that I expect right now.

I have been using Splunk for three years.

We haven't really experienced any glitches or bugs. It depends on the use cases and so far I haven't seen any as of now.

It is scalable.

They're good. They're quite good at providing the service for technical engineers as well.

I would say that the setup is pretty straightforward because they have their own documentation that you can follow. It takes an associate's capability in order to accomplish it. They have good documentation and dedicated support to take care of any issues that come forward.

What other advice do I have?

As a newbie, I wouldn't prefer Splunk. The reason being that it's a completely enterprise-grade solution. As a startup, you don't implement Splunk for the first time. We'd put an open-source product. With us, we have many of the Italian products, which proves to be a good open-source solution. In the end, people intend to go for enterprise support for the vulnerability patching, report generation, and enterprise support. People go for licensing based on that. I wouldn't refer any newbies to go for a weak enterprise-grade solution as they barge into any technology.

I would rate Splunk a seven out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Splunk Insights for Infrastructure. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
542,608 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MA
Information Security Manager at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Fits specific needs for a reasonable cost

• "The product retains a lot of log data for subsequent analysis."
  • "It does not have a user-friendly interface and it is difficult to use."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for the product is for reporting for one of our systems. It fits a particular need for reporting so we have deployed it there.

What is most valuable?

The team that is using this product is using it for reporting. Apparently it is just to have more detailed reports about certain specific activities.

In our company, the product is not actually my responsibility because it was here before me and it is not exactly in my area. But we have been using it for around five years or six years.

We do not have a lot of users who are using Splunk in our company. At most, it is a little over five people. For now, that is all we need and we do not plan to increase the usage in the near future. We are happy with what we have, how it is deployed and how it serves the need we have deployed it to fill.

I do not think the initial setup was very complex.

I am sure the pricing is reasonable or we would not continue to use the product in such a minimal capacity. We are fine with the price of the product and we are happy that it does what we need it to do.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate it at around an eight. We are using it for six years now and renewing the support and the license. So you can say that we are at least reasonably happy with the product and do not have to replace it.

To make the product rate higher they would have to match some of the capabilities of other products within the same category that they lack. For example, if we want to get to a feature in QRadar, we can get to it in two clicks. But with Splunk, we need to do a lot more to navigate to the features. Sometimes when we need to accomplish a task, it may not be part of the basic system so we need to write more code and do more work to get the same result as we might if using another product.

The other point, I think, has to do with the storage. Splunk does not have appliances and storage and we have to be the ones who are responsible for taking care of the matters of requisitioning the appropriate hardware. A lot of storage is needed just for logs that it generates. So I think this hardware problem and need for storage is another issue that we might face with Splunk if we use it as a SIEM (Security Information and Event Management).

Shashank Gahoi
Cyber Security Consultant at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Stable with a straightforward setup that's easy to implement in-house

• "The initial setup was straightforward. We didn't find it to be too complex."
  • "It would be useful if they provided some help pages. If you don't know too much about the tool, there should be more documentation readily available. It would be useful if they had a help button embedded in the solution so you could ask questions and get answers."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for event management. We have a baseline that we monitor, and if anything goes wrong, we manage it.

What is most valuable?

I haven't really used the solution too much, so I'm not sure if I can speak to the best features on the solution.

What needs improvement?

Without having used the solution too much, I don't really have any suggestions for feature improvement.

The solution should provide for some entry-level training.

We have a customer working on the solution. I haven't used the solution that much myself.

I haven't seen any issues with stability, however, I don't use it too much, so I wouldn't be able to make a very good judgement on if it was extremely stable or not.

I've never been in touch with technical support. I don't know how reliable they are, and would not be able to rate them.

The initial setup was straightforward. We didn't find it to be too complex.

I was able to handle the implementation myself. I didn't need the assistance of an integrator or consultant.

I did compare a few other tools, however, we are using Splunk because that is what the customer preferred. They made the decision after I described this solution and a few other tools to them.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend the solution. I'd rate it eight out of ten.

I don't believe we have a business relationship with Splunk, but we do have a large number of licenses with them.

JaspreetSingh
Security Administrator at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
MSP
Great monitoring features but lacks good integration abilities

• "Great monitoring of network devices."
  • "Splunk would be better if some tools were integrated to be able to take action on security or network concerns."

What is our primary use case?

The data from Splunk is used for network monitoring, apart from that, they are using another tool with this kind of logic as well. Splunk is not the primary tool. The database I'm using for real-time data for our client. We have only about 3-4 users on this solution.

What is most valuable?

It's only the monitoring solution that we are using. I'll find that to be a great feature.

What needs improvement?

Splunk would be better if some tools were integrated to be able to take action on security or network concerns. People in the IT field are looking for a single tool that can do everything. Not separate tools for monitoring and fixing.

We have been using Splunk Insights for infrastructure for about one year.

I have not had any problems with stability.

Nothing is straightforward in data technology. You have to know about the technology. Even when chatting about the virtual image for a window, we need to know how to do things. If you know how the technology works, it's really simple.

I need a tool that can deal with all the security solutions, that will find security monitoring compliance requirements. So, I'll stick to BigFix over Splunk, because I'm not that big a fan of Splunk, to be honest. Apart from monitoring, in BigFix you can mitigate the issues, mitigate what the vendor is doing, and continue monitoring our clients. If any machine, any hardware in the department is vulnerable to any threat, with BigFix we can go ahead and take action, and mitigate that vulnerability within a couple of minutes.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Splunk Insights for Infrastructure at a seven out of ten.

SM
Senior Network Administrator at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
Quick log searching and good reporting helps us to consolidate and track incidents

• "The most valuable feature in this solution is the log searching."
  • "This solution is difficult to configure and the instructions are complex."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to examine the logs and consolidate and track incidents.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature in this solution is the log searching.

The search indexing is very fast.

Mainly I like the reporting in this solution.

What needs improvement?

The price of this solution is very high and can be improved.

This solution is difficult to configure and the instructions are complex.

I have been using this solution for four or five years.

This is a stable solution and we have had no issues.

This solution is being used every night.

The scalabililty is ok. If you want to scale then it's fine.

We have not contacted technical support.

I have used multiple solutions, and I find that searching the logs in this solution is very quick.

The initial setup of this solution is straightforward, without too much problem.

You have to take the training, otherwise, you are going to have trouble.

The deployment takes between two and three hours.

We received help from an integrator to help implement this solution.

One person is needed for deployment and maintenance.

We have seen ROI since implementing this solution.

This is an expensive solution.

What other advice do I have?

This is a very good product, but my advice is that you have to be trained in order to use it, otherwise you will be lost.

SoheylNorozi
IT Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
The data integration is good but it should have a simpler interface

• "The feature I find most valuable, is the data integration."
  • "I would like to see an improvement and some innovation in the customer interface."

What is our primary use case?

We are IT consultants and our primary use case for this solution is for analyzing machine data.

What is most valuable?

The feature I find most valuable is the data integration.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see an improvement and some innovation in the customer interface, which puts something in your design. If we able to customize more parts of the user interface, it would be great. I also think the scalability should be improved.

I've been using this solution for a year now.

The solution is stable and I haven't seen any box glitches or crashes.

We have a hundred users. I really do not know how scalable the solution is. I couldn't find any submission for a flat fee and for expanding the installation in my last project. So perhaps this is also something that can be improved.

I am happy with the support, how they respond and help to solve issues.

The initial setup is straightforward and you can do it yourself.

What other advice do I have?

My experience with this solution in analyzing machine data is really good. The interface could be simplified and I would like to have more clustering. On a scale of one to ten, I rate this solution a seven.

Download our free Splunk Insights for Infrastructure Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.